Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:00 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
But they said before that members may want to take advantage of the free registration. The word may implies they still recommend waiting, but OK if you don't.
To me the statement says go ahead and register they are admitting there is no point in waiting because they won't be able to work anything out before the deadline so you might as well save yourself five bucks.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ira d
To me the statement says go ahead and register they are admitting there is no point in waiting because they won't be able to work anything out before the deadline so you might as well save yourself five bucks.
If that was true they whould say you should register, but they said you may register. That is they still recommend waiting but OK to go ahead and register.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 AM
ira d

If that was true they whould say you should register, but they said you may register. That is they still recommend waiting but OK to go ahead and register.
What do you think is the reason they would want anyone to wait?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Because they would use the AMA system instead, and you would not need to put your information out on a public site. The AMA site is closed except to members and no address. But I assume they would give individual information if they found your damaged model inside an airliner engine.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:15 AM
franklin_m

FYI, AMA is working with FAA to get language on their site that requires membership in AMA to operate above 400'.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by franklin_m
FYI, AMA is working with FAA to get language on their site that requires membership in AMA to operate above 400'.
Yes I posted that info earlier today but Sport Pilot does not seem to think that is the case.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
How would we take off and land?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:50 AM
ira d

Because they would use the AMA system instead, and you would not need to put your information out on a public site. The AMA site is closed except to members and no address. But I assume they would give individual information if they found your damaged model inside an airliner engine.
Using the AMA system is being negotiated but the AMA has admitted that won't happen before the deadline.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:51 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
How would we take off and land?
I don't get your point. If you look at the Q&A on the AMA blog, Chad B responded that they're working with the FAA to get them to add language on the registration site that if you're a member of a CBO, you can go above 400' AGL. So, that all but requires AMA membership for many types of model aircraft flight.

I seriously doubt the Transportation Committee would have included that language if they knew that AMA would be using it as a tool to increase membership. That's like saying you have to be a member of AOPA to fly above 5,000 feet (pick a number) in the public airspace.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Using the AMA system is being negotiated but the AMA has admitted that won't happen before the deadline.
AMA just posted that they have an agreement.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes I posted that info earlier today but Sport Pilot does not seem to think that is the case.
As "scale only 4 me" posted the language is not that clear, and your language is just as unclear, That sounds like we must fly only above 400 feet.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:58 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that the AMA kept telling us that we would not be impacted and the good relationship that had with the FAA would save us, plus the fact that they are now trying to undo what is in place, I would not hold out a lot of hope they will succeed. If they did, I suspect a stipulation the FAA would put on us is that the AMA membership file, with our addresses, will be open to the public.

The last email from them sounded like politician's promises.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

Well the AMA have their agreement with the FAA.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/
Old 01-11-2016, 12:11 PM
jmiles1941

[h=3]Menu[/h]Skip to primary content

Search

[h=1]sUAS News[/h][h=2]The business of drones[/h]
[h=1]AMA changes position on registration.[/h] Posted by Press
[h=3]Share this:[/h]

The AMA has updated its Government Regulations blog details below. They were telling members to hold off but now seem to have capitulated.
I can’t but help feel the USA is cutting down all the young innovators that might invent the next big thing.
The FAA really don’t seem to be watching the rest of the world and are reinventing the wheel. They are years behind now.
Behind in training, development and commercial use.
Get over it America the FAA have let you down.

Q: Why did AMA change its position on registration? Why are they telling members to register now?A: AMA has not changed its position. We continue to be disappointed with the registration rule and believe it is contrary to Congress’s intent within the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. We have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, we have achieved several concessions from the FAA that will help ease this process for our members.
However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this unnecessary and burdensome regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a long-term solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline. For this reason, we are suggesting that AMA members may wish to take advantage of free registration period, which is available until January 19.
Q: Is the AMA giving up? Why doesn’t the AMA take this matter to court?
A: We are absolutely not giving up. We are continuing to fight for our members and working to protect them from unnecessary and burdensome regulation. AMA is exploring several legal options that would address the registration rule as well. These legal strategies will take time to develop and pursue. We ask for your continued loyalty and patience as we work closely with our legal counsel to find the best path forward.
Q: I am already registered through the AMA, why do I have to register twice?
A: We understand the concern of our members and, while the FAA is open to streamlining the registration for our members, unfortunately the technical issues involved will not be resolved before February 19. Therefore, it will be necessary for current AMA members to register separately with the FAA. For future AMA members, we are working on an agreement with the FAA where new members will be able to opt-in to federal registration via AMA when they join the organization, thereby creating one simple registration.
Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet, are still allowed to fly and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. The federal registration box requiring agreement to only fly under 400 feet applies to individuals who are not operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude restriction does not apply to AMA members.
Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: No. AMA has secured a concession from the FAA that allows AMA members to continue using their AMA numbers as the primary identification on his or her aircraft. AMA members are required to still have a hard copy or electronic copy of the federal registration certificate on them while flying.
Q: Do I have to register every aircraft?
A: No. Registration is only required for each operator. AMA members should use their same AMA number on each aircraft they are flying.
Q: Do only drones and multirotor operators need to register?
A: No. Everything over 0.55 lbs (or 250 grams) that uses a ground-control system with a communications link, such as an RC transmitter, is required to register. This includes operators who fly fixed-wing RC aircraft and helicopters, not just multirotors or drones.
Q: I only fly CL or FF, do I need to register?
A: No. If you exclusively fly FF or CL and never plan on using a model that involves a transmitter, then you do not need to register.
Q: Can I fly my large model aircraft? Turbine jets?
A: Yes. The Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act, allows AMA members to operate model aircraft over 55 lbs as long as they are operating in accordance with AMA’s Large Model Aircraft safety program. AMA members can also fly turbine jets provided the operator holds a current AMA Turbine Waiver.
Q: Am I permitted to fly first person view (FPV)? Can I fly at night?
A: Yes. AMA members are still protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. As long as AMA members continue to follow AMA’s safety guidelines for these activities, they can continue to fly. The checkbox guidelines listed on the FAA UAS registration website do not apply to individuals who belong to a community-based organization such as the AMA.
Q: What happens if I don’t register by February 19?
A: According to the FAA, failure to register an unmanned aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. This could include civil penalties of up to $27,500 and criminal penalties that include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.
Q: What can I do to help?
A: You can help by making your voice heard with the FAA. Specifically we are asking all AMA members to submit comments on the FAA’s interim rule on registration. The deadline to submit comments is Friday, January 15. More details can be found here
[h=3]Related[/h]AMA: Hold off on registering model aircraft18 December 2015In "Americas"
AMA reacts to DOT task force recommendations on UAS registration24 November 2015In "Americas"
AMA Reacts to DOT UAS Registration Rule15 December 2015In "Americas"

11 January 2016 [h=3]Post navigation[/h]« Previous Next »

View Full Site
Proudly powered by WordPress

Send to Email Address Your Name Your Email Address Cancel Post was not sent - check your email addresses!
Email check failed, please try again
Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:11 PM
jmiles1941

[h=3]Menu[/h]Skip to primary content

Search

[h=1]sUAS News[/h][h=2]The business of drones[/h]
[h=1]AMA changes position on registration.[/h] Posted by Press
[h=3]Share this:[/h]

The AMA has updated its Government Regulations blog details below. They were telling members to hold off but now seem to have capitulated.
I can’t but help feel the USA is cutting down all the young innovators that might invent the next big thing.
The FAA really don’t seem to be watching the rest of the world and are reinventing the wheel. They are years behind now.
Behind in training, development and commercial use.
Get over it America the FAA have let you down.

Q: Why did AMA change its position on registration? Why are they telling members to register now?A: AMA has not changed its position. We continue to be disappointed with the registration rule and believe it is contrary to Congress’s intent within the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. We have been working with our legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, we have achieved several concessions from the FAA that will help ease this process for our members.
However, we want to emphasize that this is not the end of our efforts to protect AMA members from this unnecessary and burdensome regulation. We are continuing to explore all legal and political options available, but these conversations may take time and a long-term solution is unlikely before the February 19 registration deadline. For this reason, we are suggesting that AMA members may wish to take advantage of free registration period, which is available until January 19.
Q: Is the AMA giving up? Why doesn’t the AMA take this matter to court?
A: We are absolutely not giving up. We are continuing to fight for our members and working to protect them from unnecessary and burdensome regulation. AMA is exploring several legal options that would address the registration rule as well. These legal strategies will take time to develop and pursue. We ask for your continued loyalty and patience as we work closely with our legal counsel to find the best path forward.
Q: I am already registered through the AMA, why do I have to register twice?
A: We understand the concern of our members and, while the FAA is open to streamlining the registration for our members, unfortunately the technical issues involved will not be resolved before February 19. Therefore, it will be necessary for current AMA members to register separately with the FAA. For future AMA members, we are working on an agreement with the FAA where new members will be able to opt-in to federal registration via AMA when they join the organization, thereby creating one simple registration.
Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet, are still allowed to fly and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. The federal registration box requiring agreement to only fly under 400 feet applies to individuals who are not operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude restriction does not apply to AMA members.
Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: No. AMA has secured a concession from the FAA that allows AMA members to continue using their AMA numbers as the primary identification on his or her aircraft. AMA members are required to still have a hard copy or electronic copy of the federal registration certificate on them while flying.
Q: Do I have to register every aircraft?
A: No. Registration is only required for each operator. AMA members should use their same AMA number on each aircraft they are flying.
Q: Do only drones and multirotor operators need to register?
A: No. Everything over 0.55 lbs (or 250 grams) that uses a ground-control system with a communications link, such as an RC transmitter, is required to register. This includes operators who fly fixed-wing RC aircraft and helicopters, not just multirotors or drones.
Q: I only fly CL or FF, do I need to register?
A: No. If you exclusively fly FF or CL and never plan on using a model that involves a transmitter, then you do not need to register.
Q: Can I fly my large model aircraft? Turbine jets?
A: Yes. The Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act, allows AMA members to operate model aircraft over 55 lbs as long as they are operating in accordance with AMA’s Large Model Aircraft safety program. AMA members can also fly turbine jets provided the operator holds a current AMA Turbine Waiver.
Q: Am I permitted to fly first person view (FPV)? Can I fly at night?
A: Yes. AMA members are still protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, which is part of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. As long as AMA members continue to follow AMA’s safety guidelines for these activities, they can continue to fly. The checkbox guidelines listed on the FAA UAS registration website do not apply to individuals who belong to a community-based organization such as the AMA.
Q: What happens if I don’t register by February 19?
A: According to the FAA, failure to register an unmanned aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. This could include civil penalties of up to $27,500 and criminal penalties that include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.
Q: What can I do to help?
A: You can help by making your voice heard with the FAA. Specifically we are asking all AMA members to submit comments on the FAA’s interim rule on registration. The deadline to submit comments is Friday, January 15. More details can be found here
[h=3]Related[/h]AMA: Hold off on registering model aircraft18 December 2015In "Americas"
AMA reacts to DOT task force recommendations on UAS registration24 November 2015In "Americas"
AMA Reacts to DOT UAS Registration Rule15 December 2015In "Americas"

11 January 2016 [h=3]Post navigation[/h]« Previous Next »

View Full Site
Proudly powered by WordPress

Send to Email Address Your Name Your Email Address Cancel Post was not sent - check your email addresses!
Email check failed, please try again
Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Sport_Pilot

That news was before the AMA announcement just before that. That announces the FAA and AMA new agreement on FAA registration.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:38 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

The email I just received states "To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives..." Agreed in principle does not mean the same as "agreed" without modifiers. What is AMA having to give up to get a real "agreement"?
Old 01-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Sport_Pilot

"In principle" means an accepted rule of action. The word itself means agreement without details. To say agreed in principle is actually a bit redundant.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:53 PM
jmiles1941

That news was before the AMA announcement just before that. That announces the FAA and AMA new agreement on FAA registration.
that was released today after the expo this weekend
Old 01-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
that was released today after the expo this weekend
But before the more recent AMA announcement which has more detail and a rosier outcome.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:01 PM
curtusua-RCU
My Feedback: (91)

Can someone provide a link for the registration?

thanks...
Old 01-11-2016, 01:03 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
The email I just received states "To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives..." Agreed in principle does not mean the same as "agreed" without modifiers. What is AMA having to give up to get a real "agreement"?
Since when does the AMA need to give anything up in order to get an agreement. Do they even have anything to "give up" ? Perhaps the FAA agreed to revise some wording as it wasn't well thought out or spelled out, or the AMA made a convincing argument?
Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by curtusua-RCU

thanks...

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
Old 01-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by curtusua-RCU

thanks...
Go to www.faa.gov and type sUAS registration in the search box.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:59 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's a clip/page from the AMA blog... It looks like it came out in either today, or in the last few days.... and yep... They're now saying to register.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ked-questions/

I'm glad I already did.... I think I'm glad anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.