Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why Gassers are more addictive or better than Glows e?

When flying 30cc and under I would recommend the IBEC. Especially in the much smaller 15-20cc gas/ignition engines. The weight savings is substantial. There is a fear of IBEC's due to their original reputation of being unreliable but so were the smaller gassers themselves. I would not hesitate using an IBEC. Especially the TechAero or WIKE units. I have been using them for 2 years with only one failure on 50-60cc gas.

IF we do not accept new technology we would be buying horses at car dealerships.

One type of engine is no better than the other. Different applications require many engine options. They all have their place. We are fortunate to live at a time when we have hundreds of engines to chose from.

Even junk Chinese "alphabet" engines have their place.......in the garbage can!

For those of you that don't know......IBEC = Igniton Battery Eliminator Circuit

SPEEDY
Old 12-24-2011, 03:04 PM
rctech2k7
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like them both as well as other source of energy in which can be determined by the kind of aircraft and owner's preference. Economic wise you're good for bigger prop planes over the nitros with the same fuel rate. For me, my concern is for lower flamability since it will turn into gas anyway...
Old 12-25-2011, 09:54 AM
sugarlando

I use nitro and gas and like them both.  Need to learn electrics -heard they are clean and vibration-free.  I just feel lucky to have these options to me.  
Old 12-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

ORIGINAL: rctech2k7

................For me, my concern is for lower flamability since it will turn into gas anyway...
What is this supposed to mean? Makes no sense to me as written. What "will turn into gas anyway"??
Old 12-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

You are starting with a flawed conclusion from the start. Gas is NOT better than e or glow unless the only thing you consider is operation cost. They all have their uses and gas mostly on big stuff. Gas is heavier, more dangerous, smells bad, less powerful, can't keep the plane in tgw house because of smell and dangerous fumes that could ignite particularly if leaks occur. Overall less performance for the benefit of cheap fuel. Also throttle response is jerky on or off almost.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Constrictor

You are starting with a flawed conclusion from the start. Gas is NOT better than e or glow unless the only thing you consider is operation cost. They all have their uses and gas mostly on big stuff. Gas is heavier, more dangerous, smells bad, less powerful, can't keep the plane in tgw house because of smell and dangerous fumes that could ignite particularly if leaks occur. Overall less performance for the benefit of cheap fuel. Also throttle response is jerky on or off almost.
OH...OMP distibutor???? = lots of glol-bees
Old 12-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Constrictor

Actually im not an omp distributor and my profile wont let me edit. Ive asked mods about it with no response.
From what i can tell most of omps birds are gas anyways.

Ctually
ORIGINAL: captinjohn

OH...OMP distibutor???? = lots of glol-bees [img][/img]
Old 12-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Hmmmmm, can't agree with much of what you say about gassers. Performance? Well gassers may have been slugs 20 years ago, but not today. Performence levels very much on par with any glo engines would be expected these days. One example here: Replaced my very good Saito 180 2 seasons ago with a DLE30 and the performance was much improved. Smells bad you say? Well I dislike the smell of gasoline as much as anyone but most of my gassers are stored in the basement right next to my workbench and I rarely ever smell even the slightest trace of gas odor from them. I don't do anything special to keep odors down. Also believe me, if there was an odor, my wife would tell me right away, pronto!! The only time I might smell gas is if I would work on the fuel system or a carb. Also, nothing there to ignite as the tanks are drained. Throttle response? Gassers offer every bit as good of throttle response as glo engines. I don't know how you formed your opinions of gassers but it is flawed.

And yes, I still fly glo engines and enjoy them so I have no bias here. Been at this a very long time too!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Diablo-RCU

Glow engines are much better than gas.....for practicing dead stick landings.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Constrictor

ACtually I didnt post anything that can be disagreed with. All facts no opinions.
I didnt say gas was not close to the power of glow, i said its less powerful and thats 100% true.
Ive kniwn guys to convert 100cc gas engines to glow to get the most power out of them.
And throttle reponse, when you get into the bigger gas response is good but when you fly 3d like i
Do you notice throttle response or the lack therof on the smaller gas engines. Its common practice
To do throttle curves on small gassers to help this. Then you also have the airframe and servo beating
Due to gassers vibration. I fly gas glow and electric and they all have their niches.
Saying gas is best is like saying a 10 mm wrench is best, its best only if you have a 10 mm bolt to turn!

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Hmmmmm, can't agree with much of what you say about gassers. Performance? Well gassers may have been slugs 20 years ago, but not today. Performence levels very much on par with any glo engines would be expected these days. One example here: Replaced my very good Saito 180 2 seasons ago with a DLE30 and the performance was much improved. Smells bad you say? Well I dislike the smell of gasoline as much as anyone but most of my gassers are stored in the basement right next to my workbench and I rarely ever smell even the slightest trace of gas odor from them. I don't do anything special to keep odors down. Also believe me, if there was an odor, my wife would tell me right away, pronto!! The only time I might smell gas is if I would work on the fuel system or a carb. Also, nothing there to ignite as the tanks are drained. Throttle response? Gassers offer every bit as good of throttle response as glo engines. I don't know how you formed your opinions of gassers but it is flawed.

And yes, I still fly glo engines and enjoy them so I have no bias here. Been at this a very long time too!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

When flying 30cc and under I would recommend the IBEC. Especially in the much smaller 15-20cc gas/ignition engines. The weight savings is substantial. There is a fear of IBEC's due to their original reputation of being unreliable but so were the smaller gassers themselves. I would not hesitate using an IBEC. Especially the TechAero or WIKE units. I have been using them for 2 years with only one failure on 50-60cc gas.

For those of you that don't know......IBEC = Igniton Battery Eliminator Circuit

SPEEDY
I use the Syssa IBEC not only on my DLE-20/Velox, but on several other planes like a DLE-30/Ultra Stick, DA-60/MX2, and what I like the best, (87 flights since August), a DA-120 powered 104 inch AJSlick. There is no reason to carry a separate ignition battery, just another thing to charge and/or fail. For me, if it is smaller than a DLE-20, I use electrons. None of the sub DLE-20's make much sense, since they weigh about the same and make less power. I have about 250 flights on the Velox, and the joke around here is how little gas it uses. I fill it up at home (16oz) and fly it 5-6 times in a day. Even if the fuels were the same price, I just can't handle all the slime, and a glow motor uses about 3x more fuel, so the flight times will be less or I would need a bigger tank. On my smaller planes, I just bring 4-6 battery packs and fly. The big DA-120 has now flown in 85F and now in 28F and has run perfectly. I just put the wings on it, install the 2, 3000Mah LiPo's, fill it up and fly. No starters, just turn on the ignition, flip it and go. It uses about 20oz of gas in 9-10 minutes. If DA made a smaller engine, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to any RC swap meet and you will see tons of Glow engines for sale. I mean like countless. Note also they do not sell for much $$ if sold at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are in them!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 AM
ghoffman

I sold my OS 120AX for like $40. I think the fuel flow rate was almost what the DA-120 uses.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:04 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

For the bigger planes, gas is just the way to go. I have not seen any gas solution for a .40 size plane. Most small planes can not handle the weigt and vibrations. For me - if the plane is big enough for a 20 cc, I use a gas engine. Below that it will be a 4 stroke and below .40 it's a 2 stroke.
So there is an application for all engines.
Downside for me is the smell of gas. Somehow it always gets on your hands and it won't come off for some time...
Our Hobby shop is about 50 miles away, so a jug of glow fuel costs almost $40 considering the gas you burn to get there.
And to the people who say glow fuel is more powerful - yes, that is very true. That is why you choose a gas engine with a bigger displacement then the recommended 2 stroke glow engine. Most gas engines have the same power as a same sized 4 stroke glow engine.
Gas engines are a lot cheaper to operate and they normally last a lot longer, a huge plus.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

Just how did you come to that conclusion???
Most gas engines are in larger airframes that in itself fly easier than the smaller glow planes do. The larger planes have a ton of lift which makes them gluide easy, I can't say the same for some smaller glow powered planes.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

I believe the Syssa IBEC is provided and manufactured by Tech-Aero or WIKE. One or the other but I do not know which for sure.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ACtually I didnt post anything that can be disagreed with. All facts no opinions.
Everything you posted can easily be disagreed with because you fly on false & misleading info.

Gas is heavier, more dangerous, smells bad, less powerful, can't keep the plane in tgw house because of smell and dangerous fumes that could ignite particularly if leaks occur.
Except for the smell issue (only an issue for the girls anyway), ALL false!!!

I didnt say gas was not close to the power of glow, i said its less powerful and thats 100% true.
No it's false!
Just one example; a DLE20 is supposed to equivalent to a 1.20 glow, yet the DLE20 gasser is more equal to a Saito 1.50 (almost - better than a 1.20, not quite as good as a 1.50).

And throttle reponse, when you get into the bigger gas response is good but when you fly 3d like i
Do you notice throttle response or the lack therof on the smaller gas engines. Its common practice
To do throttle curves on small gassers to help this.
Wow, where do you get such nonsense from?

If your needing a throttle curve on any glow or gasser, it's because you don't understand the need for proper mechanical linkage geometry BEFORE any throttle curve.

By your own admission you fly only gas & electric. I see no evidence of you having true experience with gassers.

Neither gas, glow, nor electric are 'best'. If we asked the FF or turbine group they'd each be laughing at us.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:53 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

been flying rc since 1970 so I have flown my share of glow planes.love gas and the cheap cost of fuel and I love 3d electrics as well .performance is outstanding as are gassers.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:11 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man it's easy to tell those who know something and those who just think they do! Open mouth and let the ignorance flow.
The real answer to the OP's question is simple, They are all the best and they are all the worst. Depending on who's hand's they're in.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:07 PM
ghoffman

The Syssa IBEC is a Tech-Aero. The WIKE is slighty larger.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:25 PM
G-manz35

ORIGINAL: acerc

Man it's easy to tell those who know something and those who just think they do! Open mouth and let the ignorance flow.
The real answer to the OP's question is simple, They are all the best and they are all the worst. Depending on who's hand's they're in.
I think 80% of people would agree with you, but they are smart enough to avoid this thread. As they say " The emptiest wagon rattles the loudest " I fly all three and all have their merits depending on the individuals situation. The OP is simply a TROLL POST.

Cheers. George
Old 12-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Constrictor

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Everything you posted can easily be disagreed with because you fly on false & misleading info.

Name one thing of my post that is inaccurate.

Gas is heavier, more dangerous, smells bad, less powerful, can't keep the plane in the house because of smell and dangerous fumes that could ignite particularly if leaks occur.
Except for the smell issue (only an issue for the girls anyway), ALL false!!!

Also issues for people that dont live like a slob or that dont want to live in a place that smells like a gas station.

No it's false!
Just one example; a DLE20 is supposed to equivalent to a 1.20 glow, yet the DLE20 gasser is more equal to a Saito 1.50 (almost - better than a 1.20, not quite as good as a 1.50).
also innacurate, i own both engines and the dle 20 isnt even close to the ax 120

To do throttle curves on small gassers to help this.
Wow, where do you get such nonsense from? from actual experience

If your needing a throttle curve on any glow or gasser, it's because you don't understand the need for proper mechanical linkage geometry BEFORE any throttle curve.

By your own admission you fly only gas & electric. I see no evidence of you having true experience with gassers. this is a complete lie

Neither gas, glow, nor electric are 'best'. If we asked the FF or turbine group they'd each be laughing at us.
finally you are correct, there is no "best" there are planes best suited for all kinds o0f power plants.
But there is one absolute undesputable fact, there is not one rc gas engine that will put out equal power to the same size glow engine. it has to do with how much air the alcohol is able to burn this is why you use so much more nitrofuel than gas.
To the original posters question, gas powrered planes are not one bit more addictive than any other power source.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Diablo-RCU

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

ORIGINAL: Diablo-RCU

Just how did you come to that conclusion???
Most gas engines are in larger airframes that in itself fly easier than the smaller glow planes do. The larger planes have a ton of lift which makes them gluide easy, I can't say the same for some smaller glow powered planes.
Because glow engines go dead stick at the wrong time.
Gas engines never quit running.
Catch my drift?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Well, I just bought my fist gas engine. I was very reluctant to do so, as most gas engines sound like weed eaters & most of the time one has to "destroy" the cowl to shoehorn one in a plane

We'll see...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas vs glow is mainly about economics and convenience. Twenty years ago most modelers were stuck with small glow airplanes because the bigger stuff was just too expensive. Now 20-30cc planes and engines are just as available and affordable as a .61 glow powered model was then. Plus there is the bandwagon effect, I have watched people spend more converting to gas than they ever would have spent on glow fuel. Throw in one RFI related crash and they are really underwater compared to glow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.