Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Staggerwing

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Staggerwing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

ORIGINAL: sbrackets

Not sure about the plane being nose heavy right yet. Because I measured the C.G at 5.5'' back from the leading edge of the fiberglass fairing edge at the wing joint where the balsa wing joins the fuselage. And the plane sat level on the (Great planes)balancer device. I added 15oz. of lead to the nose.

The only thing that makes me think that it is nose heavy is that 3/4'' up elevator was marginal for take off and did not leave me with a good feeling for landing. I was thinking the whole time during my flight that I wasn't going to have enough elevator to pull out of a steep decent on a landing approach.
Once airborn the plane needed a lot of up elevator to fly straight and level. I did manage to trim her out for level flight but noticed after landing that my elevator with the transmitter stick in the neutral position, the elevator was now is sitting with about 2-3 degrees of up elevator. So thats how she is flying at straight and level flight.

Does this sound like it's nose heavy to you all? I guess it is, but she balances out perfect straight at 5.5'' C.G. You got me!

I know a way to find out if she is nose heavy is to fly upside down to see how the nose reacts then. But on the maiden flight I was just trying to keep her in the air and trim her out, Not doing anything nothing fancy.

Jim

Jim....

I have the Great planes balancer...and I would SWEAR that when I balanced my planes SPOT ON in the MIDDle of the recomended range....It was ALWAYS nose heavy....
One of the planes was soo nose heavy, when I landed the prop struck the ground because it squashed the main gear apon landing...as I ran out of elevator on a 3D plane!!!!....hmmm..

I will be adding all I can get out of the elevator for my 3rd rate...or 3D rate...(in earobatic plane) when I do the Test flight....

Perhaps it is the balancer??
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Staggerflyer

ORIGINAL: kochj

ORIGINAL: sbrackets

Not sure about the plane being nose heavy right yet. Because I measured the C.G at 5.5'' back from the leading edge of the fiberglass fairing edge at the wing joint where the balsa wing joins the fuselage. And the plane sat level on the (Great planes)balancer device. I added 15oz. of lead to the nose.

The only thing that makes me think that it is nose heavy is that 3/4'' up elevator was marginal for take off and did not leave me with a good feeling for landing. I was thinking the whole time during my flight that I wasn't going to have enough elevator to pull out of a steep decent on a landing approach.
Once airborn the plane needed a lot of up elevator to fly straight and level. I did manage to trim her out for level flight but noticed after landing that my elevator with the transmitter stick in the neutral position, the elevator was now is sitting with about 2-3 degrees of up elevator. So thats how she is flying at straight and level flight.

Does this sound like it's nose heavy to you all? I guess it is, but she balances out perfect straight at 5.5'' C.G. You got me!

I know a way to find out if she is nose heavy is to fly upside down to see how the nose reacts then. But on the maiden flight I was just trying to keep her in the air and trim her out, Not doing anything nothing fancy.

Jim

Jim....

I have the Great planes balancer...and I would SWEAR that when I balanced my planes SPOT ON in the MIDDle of the recomended range....It was ALWAYS nose heavy....
One of the planes was soo nose heavy, when I landed the prop struck the ground because it squashed the main gear apon landing...as I ran out of elevator on a 3D plane!!!!....hmmm..

I will be adding all I can get out of the elevator for my 3rd rate...or 3D rate...(in earobatic plane) when I do the Test flight....

Perhaps it is the balancer??
It's impossible for the balancer to cause any type of imbalance. The only thing that can is incorrect measuring or positioning. Also, remember, in a fuel powered airplane, you are balancing with an empty tank, and flying with a full to empty tank. IE, the first take-off is done in a nose heavy condition, as well as any landings done while there is still an appreciative amount of fuel in tank. Use an oversize tank, larger than originally designed for, and you have extra built in nose heavyness.

The designed balance point is, in most cases, very close to the break point when empty. However, some designers actually put the point safely forward to keep the number of "uncontrollable design" comments on the low side, since those are "usually" from inexperienced fliers.

If you find a particular aircraft seems nose heavy AFTER the first flight, move it back a little at a time. But don't try it on the maiden. (My experienced suggestion, not a written in stone, do it or die rule.)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: xcz5785

Does anyone have the plans to build a wing set for the Topflight Staggerwing? I know they are discontinued but you can still get all the other pieces from Tower. This is my dream plane and it's the perfect size I was looking for! I have seen them come up for sale but they are asking out of my budget for them. Besides if you do bust up the wings what then?
Take an existing wing, and make a fiberglass mold. You can then do fiberglass wings...
Not a bad Idea actually. If you want this plane to keep going long after you torn it up on landings...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 AM
mobyal

Seems to me I remember that Dick Pettit did a review of the S'wing for RC Report. Am I correct? If so, does anyone remember what issue, or approximate timeframe?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Joel_L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

So I decided to try the EVOE735 radial on my Staggerwing. I'm now going through the process of making the plane as light as I can. When the engine comes, I'll hang it on the front and see what can move around and take out of the fuse. If it ends up the engine doesn't quite pull it around good enough, guess I'll have to get something else to put it on.......... darn. I'll also have to get another engine..... double darn.

Joel
Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 AM
louie525
My Feedback: (1)

Hello,

I want to thank everyone for posting pics and ideas! This thread is great for motivation!!! I am still working on mine since 2009? I bought the plane to be a father and son project; (Once upon a time Dad had an airport job and fueled up many SW'S!) The covering job was pretty rough and over 3 years in a box I could not get the winckles out so I have re-monokoted all of the balsa framing and plan to glue the center wing together and try to hide/eliminate the center seam. You guy's are right; you will have quite an investment between retracts, ARF, Moki 180 (NIB) plus servos - not to mention time! I hope to be under 20 pounds...good luck right!? Did anyone have issues with warps in the wings? I had to cut both the top and bottom TE sheeting on both lower wing halfs and re-glued on a slate table weighed down in an attempt to repair the warps. The warps are much improved but still have a slight bow. The top ailerons are bowed as well and I plan on building new ones. A twist can be repaired with monokote, but a bow type warp? Some guy's suggested to wet down the ailerons and try to remove bow that way...Never had much luck doing that. I will post some pictures of the construction shortly.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Joel_L

Hi,

The radial showed up today. I need to make some spacers for it, but I had to hang it as is to see how it looked
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89332.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1719087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16596.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1719088  
Old 01-25-2012, 06:05 PM
mobyal

Well, it's getting there.
Servos all hooked up, engine/cowl mounted. Retracts mounted, but have been sent to Down and Locked for conversion to electric. Should have them back later this week.
A couple of questions. What sort of method do you all use to get the flap servo leads up to the receiver area to hook them up at the field. Looks like it could be a PITA! And second, I'd like to mount my batteries for flite pack and gear on the firewall , as together they weigh a little over a pound, but don't think they're going to fit. Any tips for getting them mounted right behind the firewall? Pretty tight in there. [:@] Won't be too much longer before it's ready to go!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Servos all hooked up, engine/cowl mounted. Retracts mounted, but have been sent to Down and Locked for conversion to electric. Should have them back later this week.
A couple of questions. What sort of method do you all use to get the flap servo leads up to the receiver area to hook them up at the field. Looks like it could be a PITA! And second, I'd like to mount my batteries for flite pack and gear on the firewall , as together they weigh a little over a pound, but don't think they're going to fit. Any tips for getting them mounted right behind the firewall? Pretty tight in there. [:@] Won't be too much longer before it's ready to go!

Oops. Forgot the pics.

Name:	Tr49174.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1719093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29920.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1719094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24348.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1719095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29748.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1719096  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Staggerflyer

I used a long (12") Y connector. The ends just exit the fuse/wing joints. I use a rubber band to keep them available when the wings are removed. Yeh, sometimes it's a PIA when the rubberband slips off and I have to fish for the leads.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Staggerflyer

@ Joel

Oh, that's PURTY!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 AM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: Staggerflyer

I used a long (12'') Y connector. The ends just exit the fuse/wing joints. I use a rubber band to keep them available when the wings are removed. Yeh, sometimes it's a PIA when the rubberband slips off and I have to fish for the leads.

Hmmm. Thanks, that makes sense. I'll try that. I used 12" extensions on the flap leads to give me some more room and was thinking about using string tied to the ends of the 6" Y harness running out the opening to fish them through. Hadn't thought of trying to lrngthen the Y harness itself, and it sounds easier. Thanks for the suggestion.
Al
Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 AM
njmheli

HI Guys.......

This is my SW on the c of g balance.........2nd attempt to get it correct as per your comments and flying experience.Should be good to go now..?

Kind regards...Nick (UK).

Name:	Ki20429.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1720153  
Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: njmheli

HI Guys.......

This is my SW on the c of g balance.........2nd attempt to get it correct as per your comments and flying experience.Should be good to go now..?

From looking at the picture, the tail appears to be pointed downward 90 degrees. In my opinion, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too tail heavy.

Joe M.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:44 PM
mobyal

Thought you all might like to see a comparison of the pnuematic Robart gear, on the left, with the Down and Locked electric conversion, on the right, together w/ all the necessary ancillaries. The Robart gear weigh 4.6oz each while the Down and Locked conversion weigh 5.4oz each; as you can see, the D&L gear are about 3/4" longer. The D&L control box is 2.5 oz and the battery to run the gear is 9oz. I don't know what all the valves, air nozzles and hoses for the pnuematics weigh, but it does look as though the D&L conversion, if run off a separate battery, may be a bit heavier than the pnuematic gear, but it's not significant. D&L is a simple drop-in; routing the lead will be a bit of a challenge, but no worse that figuring out the air line routing.
I sent the gear off to D&L on the 10th and got them back today. A good bit of time about a week was waiting for the check to clear because I chose not to use Paypal.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try to answer.
Al

Name:	Ig13826.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1720392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91226.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1720393  
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

The big question is how much to convert to electric? I have not started my Staggerwing yet, but I already have the Robart retracts. Really like the ease of electric gear!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: handyman 220

The big question is how much to convert to electric? I have not started my Staggerwing yet, but I already have the Robart retracts. Really like the ease of electric gear!

The conversion cost is $350 plus shipping. In my case it cost me $11 to insure and ship, and D&L charged $26 to return insure and ship. That's a total of $387 if my arithmetic is correct. Paypal charges would have beemn an additional $20 or so. I saw no need for that.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 PM
mobyal

By the way, handyman, if yo udon't have the Staggerwing kit yet, I have one for sale. It's listed here on RCU. PM me if you're interested.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:26 PM
JoeMamma

Thought you all might like to see a comparison of the pnuematic Robart gear, on the left, with the Down and Locked electric conversion, on the right, together w/ all the necessary ancillaries. The Robart gear weigh 4.6oz each while the Down and Locked conversion weigh 5.4oz each; as you can see, the D&L gear are about 3/4'' longer. The D&L control box is 2.5 oz and the battery to run the gear is 9oz. I don't know what all the valves, air nozzles and hoses for the pnuematics weigh, but it does look as though the D&L conversion, if run off a separate battery, may be a bit heavier than the pnuematic gear, but it's not significant. D&L is a simple drop-in; routing the lead will be a bit of a challenge, but no worse that figuring out the air line routing.
I sent the gear off to D&L on the 10th and got them back today. A good bit of time about a week was waiting for the check to clear because I chose not to use Paypal.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll try to answer.
Al
I have a set of Down & Locked gear on my Top Flite Cessna 310 twin. I had to send D&L my air actuated Robarts for the electrical conversion. So far so good with them.

I'm currently using a few sets of EFlite electric retracts on different planes. The one thing nice about the Down & Locked units versus the EFlite's is the actual electrical control of the D&L retracts are done using a small, separate, lightweight control box. The EFlite's have all the fragile electrical controls mounted directly to the retract.

The control box for the D&L units can be mounted anywhere. This nice feature means the electrical control box is away from the dust, grime and harsh conditions the retracts themselves will experience. The D&L's can also be ordered with a control box that will allow for progressive electrical operation of gear doors.

I just read an article at the Robart website about their new, soon to be release electric retracts. Appears Down & Locked will be doing all of the electrical construction for Robart. That will mean the Robart electric units will be entirely made in the good 'ol USA.

Joe M.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:32 PM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

By the way, handyman, if yo udon't have the Staggerwing kit yet, I have one for sale. It's listed here on RCU. PM me if you're interested.
Mobyal Thanks for the offer, But I already have a NIB kit just waiting for me to find the time to assemble her.

Maybe when Robarts come out the conversions will be a little more affordable. The $300 is like buying another set of retracts. [:'(]
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: njmheli

HI Guys.......

It looks fine. It's really not that sensitive. Fly it already!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Joel_L

Hi,

Here are more picture of my radial install. Still need to seal the plywood plate.

Can someone with a flying SW tell me where the CG is with the wings off? Doesn't need to be precise just want to do a simple lift of the fuse with the engine installed to see where the radio is going to go.

Thanks

Joel

Name:	Om32559.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1720776   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42634.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1720777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65193.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1720778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19080.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1720779  
The following users liked this post:
rowdog_14 (07-11-2020)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Joel

Looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you post a video of that thing flying
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 AM
outdoorhunting

That's one good looking plane !!! When you maiden, make sure to get videos & make sure the sound is cranked up. THAT radial is gonna sound soooo sweet !!!!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Joel_L

Hi,

Here are more picture of my radial install. Still need to seal the plywood plate.

Can someone with a flying SW tell me where the CG is with the wings off? Doesn't need to be precise just want to do a simple lift of the fuse with the engine installed to see where the radio is going to go.

Thanks

Joel
How are you going to handle the exhaust? Do you have a collector ring?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.