New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
rfan_1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

ORIGINAL: earlwb

rfan_1, your Stinger plane is looking really good. That is some nice cowl cutting to fit the engine too. I think that was a good choice as well. I have been thinking about using that plane for the engine too.

Thanks for the comments. The cowl was really easy on this one. Note that the spark plug and the cowl mount screw are in line with each other. With the cowl off I removed the plug and used a divider to find the distance from the screw hole to the plug hole. I then removed the motor, remounted the cowl and used the divider to mark that plug hole location on the cowl. Then I used a compass to draw a circle roughly the size of the cylinder head. Using a Dremel #560 drywall cutting bit I cut the circle out and then finish sanded the hole.
I wish they were all that easy.

Phil
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
BlackPowder

Call me a wimp, but i,m going to use the Great Planes Avistar elite. It will be an easy plane to mount the Evo 10cc in. It has a 62.5 " wing span, 672 wing area, weight 6.5 lbs, lenght 55" and a removable front hatch. I'm retired and easy looks good now, LOL. Jim
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
BlackPowder

My Evo 10cc engine just arrived, ordered the Avistar, life is good. The engine with everything weights 1.8 lbs. Very nice looking too. Jim
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
RiverLarry

+ 1 on the WIMP But sounds like a good test bead !!!! I thought a Space Walker 2 40???? R/L

thay dead stick great !!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Ernie Misner

One uplifting thought from this thread is that it's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to small gasoline engines. I'm sure the likes of OS already has plans on the drawing board and that is fine with me. The size and weight of the ignition unit is bound to get smaller and smaller with time as well. There's just so much to like about this great hobby.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm sure you are correct on that, Ernie. I think there is a practical limit on the coil size though. IMO until an alternate technology is developed, to boost a low voltage source, say 4.8v to the tens of thousands of volts to provide spark to the spark plug requires a transformer (coil). The coils have gotten remarkably smaller, but there is IMO a physical limitation on how small they can be practically made.

It wouldn't surprise me though if one of the manufacturers comes up with a light weight .40 sized ignition gasser. That would be an attention getter.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well they do make a small transister ignition module that you can use with a small ignition coil wound for 4.8v instead of 3v. The overall size is pretty small. So it has a lot of promise.it is a fixed ignition timing unit, but that shouldn't be a problem with the smaller engines though.It uses a magnetic pickup and a hall effect sensor too. The units may be perfect for smaller engines. But I don't know how well it will work with the fixed timing setting though, until I try it.

I actually bought one, but I need to put it together and come up with a way to mount it on a engine to see what happens.
http://www.jerry-howell.com/IgnitionModules.html
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I hear you there, earlwb. That's a really nice unit there and easy to assemble as it is component lead style wiring to PCB. I was referring to the physical ignition coils, there is a practical limitation on the windings. However, so far people have found a way to hide those units inside the plane.

So, may be some day someone will come up with a miniature flux capacitor to break the 88 miles per hour size limit and provide the jigawatts voltage needed (in my kidding mood).
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like a Sig Rascal would make a nice airplane for 10CC Gas engine. Capt,n

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...9-P1010282.jpg

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM
RiverLarry

Captin J I could not help it I have one comming !!!!

will put it in a 40 sise Space Walker2

Or put it in my Quaker !!!

need to get a Mac header and a pipe !!!

I hopeMac makes a header for it if not we will make one !!!!

will give us something to tinker with when you get back R/L
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
captinjohn

Hi River Larry, We went to visit my cousin in Seminol and stayed over-nite. I have not been able to tinker much with RC yet down here in Aripeka Florida,,,but plan too. I still want too get a nice covered trailer to haul my RC stuff. Most likely will sell this kinda small RV. Nice here but miss you guys. Take Care my friend...will be in touch. Capt,n
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

la e mailed me an like the last time i needed a muffler  a wrape around to put the engine inverted  but how will this run inverted will it drawn  its self in fuel ??? here is al  s post       shouldn't be a problem. just need the exhaust port measurements and a few more easy ones and should be all set. We will need to know how much room you have behind the engine if you want a wrwparound or underneath if you mount the engines on the side.

Al     J tec is the bomb guys

Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: RiverLarry

+ 1 on the WIMP But sounds like a good test bead !!!! I thought a Space Walker 2 40 ???? R/L

YES! I test flew the engine on an old, reliable Train-Air 40. Just over 7lbs and it flew great. Easy install, too... I now have it on the Meridian. Still working the bugs out of the new airframe though (nose wheel tiller arm issues), but it is a winner too.

Dave
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Ernie Misner

The mac's pipe should be the same one for the 55AX, Magnum 46, TT 46, Evo 60NX, etc. A very popular size and that is good.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

Which do you guys prefer, the stock muffler, a mac's muffler, or a pitts? I just recieved my engine today, and can't decide which muffler to use. I installed the engine on a H9 Pawnee
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Spridal
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Would one of those metal mounts with rubber grommets to dampen and isolate vibration prove useful?
i don't think it would hurt but I must say mine does not vibrate more than a regular .60 size glo engine.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Spridal
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: RiverLarry

+ 1 on the WIMP But sounds like a good test bead !!!! I thought a Space Walker 2 40???? R/L

YES! I test flew the engine on an old, reliable Train-Air 40. Just over 7lbs and it flew great. Easy install, too... I now have it on the Meridian. Still working the bugs out of the new airframe though (nose wheel tiller arm issues), but it is a winner too.

Dave
Dave, what problems are you having with the tiller arm?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> Which do you guys prefer, the stock muffler, a mac's muffler, or a pitts? I just recieved my engine today, and can't decide which muffler to use. I installed the engine on a H9 Pawnee >>>

Scott, read post #391 by flatspin. He lost a ton of rpm's by going to the mac's black one piece muffler. This baffles me since that muffler is the extra volume one made especially for the 60NX, 55AX, etc.

Flatspin, you are sure your mac's muffler is not the one for the .46, right? It will bolt right to these larger engines also but is too small.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 AM
FlatSpin

The tiller arm wheel collar stripped out very easily! It took one less-than-perfect landing for the front wheel to come loose. The wheel collar is tapped out on two sides, so you can turn the wheel collar around and use the other side. It stripped out a few landings later, and I thought they were smooth landings. The real pain is that you have to take the engine muffler and HS needle off of the engine to remove the cowl in order to get to the arm. A lot of headache for a relatively simple fix.

Flyinwalenda had a great idea to swap ends on the nose wheel pushrod to put the clevis on the servo instead of the tiller arm. Then, you can adjust the nose wheel alignment from the servo end instead of taking the cowl off every time to get to the clevis.

Dave
Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 AM
FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

>>> Which do you guys prefer, the stock muffler, a mac's muffler, or a pitts? I just recieved my engine today, and can't decide which muffler to use. I installed the engine on a H9 Pawnee >>>

Scott, read post #391 by flatspin. He lost a ton of rpm's by going to the mac's black one piece muffler. This baffles me since that muffler is the extra volume one made especially for the 60NX, 55AX, etc.

Flatspin, you are sure your mac's muffler is not the one for the .46, right? It will bolt right to these larger engines also but is too small.
I used the newer MACs muffler designed for the OS 55AX. On the glow engine, I did see a performance improvement over the stock muffler. On the Evolution, I saw about 1000 RPM decrease and then it dropped even more RPMs. As I said before, I tried the muffler 2-3 times to make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong. Same results... The engine wasn't fully broken in when I did this, so maybe that has something to do with it???

I did notice later that the MACs muffler had a lot of the "black goo" in it and I poured a fair amount of it out when I was cleaning it up. Maybe 1/2 oz. or so. With the muffler loaded up with oil residue, I can assume (hate to do that!) it affected the muffler performance. That might explain the additional RPM decrease as it collected oil residue in the chamber. Now that I have the engine more broken in, and the residue output has decreases a lot, I will try the MACs again.

Dave
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using a Tower .46 engine muffler on one of my 9cc gas engines, and when the muffler came loose in the air, the engine immediately lost power and started misfiring a lot too. I hadn't expected the muffler to affect it quite so much. But it was very noticeable too. So the mufflers that are tuned, or behave like they are tuned mufflers, do have an effect with the engines.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 AM
nalby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many mah will the ign use? If I wanted to use an a123 1100 to power the plane and ign, with say 4-3010 servos and a Tech-Aero Ibec in a super sporster 60. how many 10 min flights would I get? Just trying to figure this out and keep the plane as light as possible.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

I used the newer MACs muffler designed for the OS 55AX. On the glow engine, I did see a performance improvement over the stock muffler. On the Evolution, I saw about 1000 RPM decrease and then it dropped even more RPMs. As I said before, I tried the muffler 2-3 times to make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong. Same results... The engine wasn't fully broken in when I did this, so maybe that has something to do with it???

I did notice later that the MACs muffler had a lot of the "black goo" in it and I poured a fair amount of it out when I was cleaning it up. Maybe 1/2 oz. or so. With the muffler loaded up with oil residue, I can assume (hate to do that!) it affected the muffler performance. That might explain the additional RPM decrease as it collected oil residue in the chamber. Now that I have the engine more broken in, and the residue output has decreases a lot, I will try the MACs again.

Dave
<hr />I thinkin a cold climate the oil is collecting in the exhaust because the oil is condensing...kinda like smoke does in a chimney of a wood burning stove. For a experiment use heat tape and wrap the exhaust like on some motorcycles.

Capt,n
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 AM
FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: nalby

How many mah will the ign use? If I wanted to use an a123 1100 to power the plane and ign, with say 4-3010 servos and a Tech-Aero Ibec in a super sporster 60. how many 10 min flights would I get? Just trying to figure this out and keep the plane as light as possible.
I haven’t calculated the ignition battery drain, but on my 40 size plane, I’m used a 2100 mAh LiFe w/Tech Aero IBEC, Spektrum 8 ch RX, TM1000 Tlm module, and 4 digital Hitec 5485 servos and 1 analog 485 throttle servo. After ~60 mins of flying (6, 10 min flights), I use between 550-700 mAh. On the Meridian, I used the same setup, but with 7 digital servos and used 400 mAh for 30 mins flying. I didn’t keep track of my pit time.

Dave
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 AM
nalby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nalby

I haven’t calculated the ignition battery drain, but on my 40 size plane, I’m used a 2100 mAh LiFe w/Tech Aero IBEC, Spektrum 8 ch RX, TM1000 Tlm module, and 4 digital Hitec 5485 servos and 1 analog 485 throttle servo. After ~60 mins of flying (6, 10 min flights), I use between 550-700 mAh. On the Meridian, I used the same setup, but with 7 digital servos and used 400 mAh for 30 mins flying. I didn’t keep track of my pit time.

Dave
That's what I wanted to hear. Thank You I usually only get 4 flights per plane when I go to the field. ( take like 3-6 planes ) so I should be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.