Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
RC Surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

In all my RC adventures plug and play is the altamate goal! My gliders so faris #1 untill I get too crazy and I barry itinto the ground or hit another plane! A real closesecond is my sail boat only because i have to ajust the rigging, because of transporting (setting up the mast and tearing it down) it to the lake.Afrore a few years of trial and error got the surfer to point of being bone dry run aftore run did it become #3. When I started to see water in the hatch, it was time to invetigate,

But when someone writes about getting water through the drive shaft and someone says its the twist in your flex drive sucking in the water inand looking at my setup I deduct thiswould beimposible if the twist rotationis in the rotating direction outpushing grease and water out so maybe they will have to find a different manufature that makes the twist in the right direction.Now that being said if you don't maintanence the drive shaft often enough by the fact that you are using the stuffing box with grease as a seal and the twist pushes enough grease out, now water will invade the hatch. A simple metaphor would be like a concrete cement truck with its drum on a fixed anglew/fixed curved blade fins inside the drum rotating in one direction keeping the concrete via the fins pushing down keeping it in, then when you want to pour the concrete out of the drum andsince the drum is inastationary angleyou reverse the rotation of the drum and the fins in the drum pushes the concrete up andout the end and down the shoot and concrete on the ground emptening the drum of concrete. Hope this helps alittle.
Later Dudes BB
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
YPC

Hey Billybongo......the servo specs look ok......I would like a tad more speed on the servo. It will certainly 'manup' to the task.
Dont be fooled by the 'water proof' claim - more like splash proof- like the ESC claims.
The price seems rather high for what it is worth and whatt is required - you could run a stock standard servo for the Kyhoso set up and reap the same rewards for $10 or less.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM
billybongo63

Yo Bro!

Thanks for the input, but unless I am missing something, (and believe what I read on the interweb),
isn't .09 seconds pretty quick for under $50, considering it's also digital and metal gears?

Oregon update:
Weather is warmer (50*) and wetter, so I've gone back to working on my 1/10th scale toyota crawlers, 1 trailfinder pick up, 1 hj-45 franken-build, and a wraith basher with fj cruiser styling cues. I promise to work on setting up a way to get pictures on here!

-Billybongo

Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
kitekook

BB

I find that if pinch my fingernail in the grooves of the flex shaft and rotate the prop counterclockwise my finger travels in the direction of the prop...I also get my flex cables from OSE. They are #1 here in America.

I imagine if your building your own you could reverse the direction if you were not careful...I pay a little more and buy them assembled...got too much going on to be bothered by building my own flex cables.

+1 for having a sharpened,thinned out, balanced prop

Gotta a guy in Michigan that does fantastic work for $20

http:///www.props4u.com

Sends all kinds of measurements along with each...

example:

Octura x432

2.57" of (T.E.) Cup
2.05" of (C.O.B.) Pitch
31.38 mm Dia.

All I know is that they are RAZOR Sharp and my Surfers love them.

$20 is a small price to pay to avoid at least 1 Cancer Causing agent. I read that it causes a very wicked form of lung cancer...I guess they are all bad.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 PM
kitekook

BearCave

...... I think i know what happened to Slash's head.... LOL

LOL

Funny story while John was here in SoCal....we were Surfing together and he did one of his cool moves and just clocked Melika on Her head!

I mean he came from way up there and just tagged her with the rail of his board!

We get back in and she complaind about a headache...but not a scratch!

Hey John! how was your board?

He had a busted up rail! [:@]

Nothing some duct tape didn't fix up for the time being....

Unfortunately my helmet cam was down while he was in town so I didn't get a shot of that mauling.

Missed a lot of cool photo those couple week...shoulda taken the time to fix my camera.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Anyone Seen This Article From Portugal.
The "Cat" Is on the loose for sure.

http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/8...e-gadget-fever
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 AM
bearcave

ORIGINAL: kitekook

Funny story while John was here in SoCal....we were Surfing together and he did one of his cool moves and just clocked Melika on Her head!

I mean he came from way up there and just tagged her with the rail of his board!

We get back in and she complaind about a headache...but not a scratch!
Haha Kite great story..... btw i find my helmet cam takes away a lot of the fun atm but you do get great vision from your one so i'm gunna persist with it.
When i did the prop carving thing (which i doubt i will do again) Octura had a warning like you and YPC said about the cancerous situation playing with berilium.....better keep an eye onslash just in case lol.

billybongo..... from my experience when anything says its 'waterproof'it usual means you can sneeze on it without toomany problems...lol

surfcurls..... Interesting article.... not sure about what things you can'add' to your dude but at least we all knowanyone on a forum is now officially a"radio control surfer geek" haha!

and speaking of "Cats out of their bags" I hope the cats who get into rc surfing can control themselves better than this one............lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77937.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1838459  
Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
kitekook

BEarCAve

....i find my helmet cam takes away a lot of the fun atm but you do get great vision from your one so i'm gunna persist with it.

If I remember right your set up had the camera low enough to watch what was going on in the LCD...

I tried that for about thirty seconds ,,,having it mounted on my Radio...it bothered me.

My camera is mounted up high...I just turn it on and forget it. it did/does take some aiming/calibration...which can be frustrating...but once you get the hang of it its out of the way and does not distract from the Surf experience.

kite

Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
surfcurls
Banned

That's the great thing about this Camera set up.
It Goes on the board with a gopro and will capture pics / video
with you seaing what the board sees in real time.
Steve (owner of FPV) is now working on a setup for Rc Surfers.

http://www.fpvpilot.com/Pages/default.aspx
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
kitekook

ORIGINAL: surfcurls

That's the great thing about this Camera set up.
It Goes on the board with a gopro and will capture pics / video
with you seaing what the board sees in real time.
Steve (owner of FPV) is now working on a setup for Rc Surfers.

http://www.fpvpilot.com/Pages/default.aspx

That is the distraction that takes away from the Surfing experience.

You will find your attention being drawn away from the Surf to watch the LCD...

Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 PM
surfcurls
Banned

It can also allow a new experience by running the board
as thou you are actually on it...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM
YPC

Hey Curls.........

From watching the onboard GOPRO footage taken by various guys I doubt whether I would be able to perceive a wave through a video screen feedback, to be able to surf it best.
I still feel - seeing the action as a second party - is better than the on board view for actually surfing the ********.
I can relate to the plane pilots wanting the onboard view as the seen from above is what its all about and watching a plane shrink to become a spec in the sky is not that exiting - BUT - for SURFING - its watching the Surfer do his thing that is the STOKE for me.

Got my ass into the workshop and glassed my first board for 2013......added my decals into the layup........it certainly becomes esier and easier doing this....
This board has the symmetry of a classic FISH style board - but I have extended it and given it a pin type tail to function with the Bi - Fin/single fin.
THis board is 710mm X 210mm x 35mm - A mate of mine who is surfing one of my boards, got his hands on a Kyhoso board and dropped it with me to kit out for his son.
The last picture gives a good size comparison, comparing the two boards.

The look and feel of a custom glass over foam board certainly sets the two board apart..........

The 'yellowish' tint to the color of the board is due to the Polyurethane foam I am using. In order to realize the nose rocker I want, I need to start of with a 80mm thick block of foam. I am not able to source any Surf Board blanks that thick that are viable, so I have the foam blocks specially made up. They also have a higher strength density than the surf board foam, which is great for shaping and overall strength.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56242.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1838768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84711.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1838769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78742.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1838770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43185.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1838771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65325.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1838772  
Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 AM
YPC

Hey Curls........

I'm looking at options of supplying the ******** in various stages of completion, as you are.

A few questions.

Is the board finished in a color or does the surface need to be prepared and sprayed etc ?

With your 'no elecs' option priced at $750 - are the parts you mention 'fitted' or supplied 'to be fitted'. ?

Do you include the rudder fin/bi-fin as well as have the rudder fin housing tube fitted into the board ?

What figure are you supplying.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-10-2013, 02:45 AM
YPC

Hi Kite....... compliments of the season to you.......all the best for 2013.

I was surprised to see the size of prop you are running. I would have thought you would be closer to a 35mm diameter, for the size of board you are running.
What kv/cell set up do you have. Currently I am pushing a 30mm on my boards. 2930 kv/3s

Bro ********. ..
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 AM
bearcave

Kite

You are exactly right I trieda cameraon the transmitter too but was way weird holding it aimed at the surfer let alone watching the screen...
Seeing your kitecam a while back got me thinkin but and on this helmet design I can't actuallyfocus properly onwhat is on the screen it is too close to my eyesbutthe idea was to useit as a kind off aiming/calbrating idea.... except its right in my facelol.

Like BBmentioned a few comments ago.... maximum enjoyment for minimal effort is the go,,,,one of the reasonsi liked surfing so much when young.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, having some time off work in Feb hope to get it better sorted then......just have to get my head around it!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 AM
bearcave

YPC

I see you finally have a real kyosho to fix up...hope you share you're thoughts during the journey..... new boardshape for 2013 looking interesting too!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 AM
YPC

Hey Bearcave............I don't know about' sharing the journey'........were just going to set it up for a 6 year old to enjoy reliably....nothing special - no mods......

Seeing the Kyhoso board up close for the first time has been interesting........now been able to connect all the dots that so much has been talked about....... however....its just a tad to small for my 'now liking'..........at the distance I surf the beach breaks mostly, it will be pretty hard to see.

The current board I am building, is much the same shape and size as the previous - I have just made the nose a tad symmetrically wider, wanting to achieve more nose buoyancy and lift, when caught up in the hollow.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM
kitekook

DOM

The Octura x432 was the prop suggested in the Maui DVD and has worked well.

x432 2300v/4S

Maui John started using a larger prop...Grim Racer 36 x 55

He swears by it ...and that green Flash looked so fast in that last video.

I decided to follow Maui John and start using 5S batteries and the big prop since my motors will handle the 5S.

Of course this means a new board because the batteries are so much bigger and that prop needs more clearance than I was allowing for before.

I stopped mid build on my last project to start this new board last week...that made the 6th DNF board I have in storage...maybe someday I will get around to finishing them.

All my energy is focused on this new 5S beast.

Having shaped a couple dozen boards now, my are skills as a shaper are improving, and producing my best work thus far...the DNF's might be hard to finish down the line.

Here is a sneak peek at my new ride from a few days ago:

Lucky, I have access to quality Surf Board foam locally..thank you Arctic Foam!

My Maui Swallow Tail
34 long 11 wide 2300Kv/5S with the 36x 55 Grim racer Prop

I took the nose template of my favorite, best board...the Maui Pin I rave about, and added the Swallow tail.

I hope that Maui Pin is doing well...he got homesick and went back home with MauiJohn...I think Tina gave him his walking papers.

Miss him in the Shaping room...had to rely on my notes this time as I shaped this Swallow...maybe someday he will come back.

I am leaning to shape another dude Surfer..Slash is so much fun to Surf.

Might have to change our name to the Rc Surf Dawgs!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
RC Resinator

YPC,
     In response to your comments regarding the view from the beach vs. Go Pro footage, check out this video which may alter your opinion:
Foam and fiberglass rule!

Surfer, shaper, innovator,
RC Resinator

http://youtu.be/nQIEhLFxMyk
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

kite pro
sick looking board, that looks like a real surf board , it is nice to see all the boards that mimic short surf boards,

ypc dont want to upset you, but your board looks great

maui john

Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

rc resinater

thats the best go pro i have ever seen ,, you rode in the tube for miles , and that ariel ,, great job

maui john
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
jocktime

rc resinater,
Nice go pro shots,here is one of you.
Jock
www.maui********.com/index.html
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM
kitekook

RC Resonator

Welcome to our little line up here on the web....Randy great to have you here.

Sweet video! How did you mount the GoPro?

Will you leave the mount on the board? John ripped up his board getting it off.

kite
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 AM
InDaTube

Kite,

Your new board is so cool. Looks like my swollow tail boards back in the day.

I have three size props: 432 / 435 / 455 all are balanced, sharpened and polished.

The 455 is fast and responsive ... my favorite.

InDaTube
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Hughengland

Aloha Resinator.

just watched your great gopro footage & feel like I just went surfing - great job
- I would be interested to see you 2 mount positions - if it's not a secret.
My limited gopro attempts had way too much water washing into lens view.....

Best yet gopro footage!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.