Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

xyz cdi

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
combatpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: xyz cdi

Well I see you edited your post and took out where I was a idiot, stupid and if I said I could do it three times and get the same reading I was a lair, Will do another post later to see if that is all true
no sorry wasent me. must be the adminisrators. they get a bit fussy about that as they dont seem to want us to work out our own problems.

Look I dont recall calling you an idiot and i certianly dont recall calling you stupid. I did call you ignorant and that is very different as it means uneducated and that can be changed. and all i was saying was that with your method. if you can set your timming. then move your degree wheel on the crank so it is all screweed up from where it was. re zero thedegree wheel on the crankusing your method and now see where the spark is in relation to your newly reset degree wheel. i really dout it would be where you just set it previosly. and if you got lucky and it came out the same then do it once more just to be sure. and again it is my OPINION that if you got the very same thing three times in a row you either got very lucky or you are a lyer. and yes as hard as it is to belive there are people that would rather lie than bite thier pride and say they were wrong. this is a real problem to me as it just leads to misinformation here.

10-12 On compression is right. Not 4. what you are doing is bring the piston up all the way. Let the compression leak off. then move it back and forth. You will see that it will be about 10 to 12. divide in 1/2 and that is TDC, set timing. run engine see what you get with rpm. Move timing to see if you get more or less. Set it for the best running that you like and your done. it is not that hard and no one will die with a off timing RC plane.
I was reading same thread....seems like no timing wheel is needed or piston stop. Just get engine running and advance timing in small amounts untill top RPM is reached. My next engine will have a moveable pick-up to advanceand retard spark a few degrees. Some new engines come that way. I do not see what all the fuss is about. Go cool your brains a bit. Capt,n
Ok first off you say there is a 10-12 degree dead spot with no movement of the piston at tdc. I can tell you for a fact that you are dead wrong. here is a pic of how i did this.

Ok so there it is. spark plug drilled out to accept $10 harbor friegth dial indicator and cross drilled and threaded to accept a set screw. its not that hard. or expensive.

Ok so now are honestly gona tell me that 10-12 degrees from eyeball is correct and 4 degrees measured from a dial indicator is not.Honestly is that what your saying??? i think theres enough said there.

Ok you guys are right. you dont need a degree wheel or a pistion stop or a dial indicator or any of that to set the timming. Just be aware that what you have is a very inacurate guess as to where you have your timming set. and yes it will be close enough that you can hand tune it from there till it runs good. but again you still do not know where your timming is set. if this method works for you great use it. I dont care and i really dont think anyone else does.

Where I have a real problem with your meathod is the fact that you get on this forum and proclaim that you have your timming set at 28 degrees. Ie oh yea i built this engine and it swings a 18 inch prop at blah blah blah and i set my timming at 28 degrees blah blah blah. you proclaim it as fact when in all reality you have no idea where your timming is set. so others get on here and get this bit of great misinformation and get so freaking confused. If your gona do a half ***** guess method say it is a half ***** guess. do not proclaim it as pure hard core fact set perfect timming at a specified degree when it is not and you really dont know where it is.

The other problem is when it gets posted that oh yea my engine wont run good. I dont understand why this is.I have my timming set at 28 degrees. The rest of us get really frustrated trying to help you out and get your engine running good and we didnt get the right information in the first place. again this propagates more misinformation and there is all kinds of advice given on carbs and so on and so on when it is incorectly set timming to begin with.

Heres some food for thought. When I work on a full scale aircraft. I set the timming to the manufactures specification as per the FAA. Never ever anywhere by the manufaturer or in FAA aproved procedures does it say that if you set it at this specified timming and it dosent run good then adjust it by hand till it does. The procedure and timming is absolute that if it dosent run right and you have the timming set dead on where it should be then there is something else wrong with the engine and you need to follow the diagnostic procedures to find it.

also why are all the factory ignitions set at 28 degrees on a stock ignition? why dosent ryobi and poulan and all the others have an adjustable timming? cause they all know that 28 degrees is correct timming and gives the best power and if it dosent run good on this timming there is something else wrong with it.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All engines do not run best set to fire at 28 degrees BTDC. Just like all carb settings are not exactly 1 1/2 turns open.The 28 degrees is just a good place to start....also a guess of about 20 to 30 degress is a good enough starting point. Fine tune from there. The main thing that when your done it runs good. If the engine does not knock & idles good with a good top RPM...what more do you want???? I will go as far to say....I bet air races...ect have been lost by setting by a person that read 28 is the magic number and was beat out buy a guy that tunes by ear!!!! Capt,n
Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 PM
combatpilot

All engines do not run best set to fire at 28 degrees BTDC. Just like all carb settings are not exactly 1 1/2 turns open.The 28 degrees is just a good place to start....also a guess of about 20 to 30 degress is a good enough starting point. Fine tune from there. The main thing that when your done it runs good. If the engine does not knock & idles good with a good top RPM...what more do you want???? I will go as far to say....I bet air races...ect have been lost by setting by a person that read 28 is the magic number and was beat out buy a guy that tunes by ear!!!! Capt,n
Oh yea your right. so true. yea thats why all weedeaters and chainsaws have the timming adjustment screw. oh so sorry

Honestly how in the hell would you know. From everything you told us so far you have no idea where your timming is. I dont think there ever was a time that you actually knew if your timming was anywhere close to where it should be so how could you possible know if it runs good at the specifiedsetting or not.

Captn again i got to ask. Do you actually have an airplane. if you had a cookie jar in one hand and an airplane in the other could you actually tell the difference. Have you ever posted an original idea that you acctually thought of yourself or do you just regurgitate info from what you hear others say here?????

Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

First
We are not building a space shuttle or working for Nasa, If the timing is +1 to -1 deg the engine will run about the same.

I never said the piston would go up and down 10-12 deg I said the crank would have that rotation play when the piston is set to the top of the cylinder.

I have probably timed over 200 engines in the last two years and they all seem to be doing fine with plenty of power and easy hand starts.

Take a couple day's and read about the engines I sell.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7661620/tm.htm

Milton

Part of post removed by moderator
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: combatpilot

Oh yea your right. so true. yea thats why all weedeaters and chainsaws have the timming adjustment screw. oh so sorry

Honestly how in the hell would you know. From everything you told us so far you have no idea where your timming is. I dont think there ever was a time that you actually knew if your timming was anywhere close to where it should be so how could you possible know if it runs good at the specifiedsetting or not.

Captn again i got to ask. Do you actually have an airplane. if you had a cookie jar in one hand and an airplane in the other could you actually tell the difference. Have you ever posted an original idea that you acctually thought of yourself or do you just regurgitate info from what you hear others say here?????

From what I can see isthat you haveno idea on what converting a engine is or what it is all about. I was not going to say a word to you about any of this. but when you said that to Captn John, thattellsmea lot about you.

Take the time and think about what a engine is and what it can do. but 1st, think about what people can do with a engine. Some one that has not even touch a engine before in there life. and theytake itand make itwork. No it mite not berunning at its peek but runs so they can have fun with it.

From what you have put in the post. You said thing that makes it look like you know what your are talking about. but do you? I do not know and do not give a rip. I WILL TAKE WHAT CAPTN AS TO SAY BEFORE I EVER GO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY.

And that is all I got to say about it.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 AM
combatpilot

I never said the piston would go up and down 10-12 deg I said the crank would have that rotation play when the piston is set to the top of the cylinder.
I never said that either. that fact that you think thats what i said tells me you really dont understand what i am trying to tell you. I even post pictures showing and proving how I got my numbers and still you refuse to understand. I dout you ever will understand I really cant help you as i just cant help fix stupid.

Ya know ya can fix bad timming but ya just cant fix STUPID. thathree of ya are pretty freaking stupid. first ya want to know how to time your engine. then when told how to do it by someone who is very qulified you then criticize the procedure and just want to argue with it. Its not that freaking hard and there really isnt much cost to it so thats just not a good argument. I dont give a damn if you do listen to me or not besides there are two others that posted in this tread also that coroberated this procedure and even showed me an easyer way to do it also. Yea thats right im notto proud to say that i learned something from someone else and my method could be simplified as I am open to new information unlike you.I been an A&P since 94 and I have never had one crash yet. Also my plane runs great and thats all i care about. every one tells me thats the best running ryobi I have ever seen. what i do care about is all the bad advice and misinformation guys like you post here.

Ok so there ya go, listen to capt. Eye ball it, monkey flip it all around and halfway guess it till it runs fair and argue with anyone that tries to show you how to get peak out of it.

Enjoy

im really done with this as i just cant help fix STUPID

im sure thier gona edit that out as they dont want anyone to feel bad about themselves. Oh god forbid someone feels bad cause thier stupid. i just hope you see it before they do
to the editors and administrators im sorry. I just cant help it. Frustration has gotten the better of me and i feel so strongly that it had to be said. I know its against the rules but it had to be said. I promise I will say no more on this as I really am done with this subject.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 AM
combatpilot

doh
Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
captinjohn

Combatpilot...lets have a good time on here. I am not putting you down, but just trying to explain a easy way to get a engine to run good. Some people do not want to use any special measurements at all. The 28 degrees is just a close setting. Exact numbers is not needed...but ok if you like that way. Some guys have even removed the key on a flywheel mag and advanced the timing a tad without the key and just a little locktite. Hey there is no cut in stone way to set up any engine. Before auto advance there was linkage tied in with the throttle on carb to get advance at different RPM. It worked good. The more ways mentioned on here gives each guy a choise...whatever is the most easy way for him. I refuse to get mad and go off....it is not good and not my style. Take Care and be yourself & let everyone else be there-self! Capt,n

Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

This is my last response with the video below,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SydZV...e=channel_page

Milton

Words removed by moderator
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 AM
KI8FR

if you, captn and I are stuped.   well I like it.  I have one great time being stuped.   

My 1st engine I did was a homie 25.  When I saw it run.  WOW it felt good.  I mad a vido and took a lot ot pics  to show how ezy it is to do.  I wanted people out there to try it out.  Have fun and save some $$$$$$$.  

The last thing I wanted was to tell some one the hardest way to do somthing and have them say.  I cant do that.

I made my 1st mufler.   It works great.   It is very light and aluminum is not hard to weld with a torch and some alumo weld.  Some people said that it will brake.  It is very britel.  Not yet.  lol

Make it simple and make it fun.   If that is being stuped.   I AM PROUD TO BE STUPED.

Paul
Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 AM
KI8FR

I see there are a lot of post that are not there now. lol  I gess that is a good thing.

Paul
Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's been a half dozen posts removed. So if your post is not there anymore, I probably took it out. You know why they were removed for some have been there a couple days.

No personal attacks, find some polite way to express yourself.

Nice video Milton
Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
captinjohn

RC Extreme power. That was a very good video on how to set timing at a preferred setting. Thanks for taking all the time to do the video also. I am going to make a similar video on a timing ring made of aluminum with the magnet in ring. The ring has a set screw and all you have to do to vary /set timing is loosen the set screw and rotate the ring a tad. It will have reference marks so you can see advance or retard from a sweet spot. Capt,n P.S. I have already done it on a engine and it works perfect.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM
clocknut
My Feedback: (6)

Ok I know you are talking about timing a engine here but because the topic says XYZ ignition I need to ask a question. I have a friend that has a 25 cc XYZ engine and ign. and as had a lot of problems with the ign.He is on his thrid one. That might just be a simple problem that can be fixed easily .The problem is with the ign on if he puts the spark plug (with the plug lead on it) next to the engine and grounds (spark plug to engine)it ,the thing starts firing and won't stop until he removes it form the ground? So what is going on?
Can you guys help me get him going?
Thanks clocknut
Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

what are all the parts used to make a piston stop? the way you did that wasso super easy thanks michael
Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 AM
airspeed1992

if you, captn and I are stuped. well I like it. I have one great time being stuped.

My 1st engine I did was a homie 25. When I saw it run. WOW it felt good. I mad a vido and took a lot ot pics to show how ezy it is to do. I wanted people out there to try it out. Have fun and save some$$$$$$$.

The last thing I wanted was to tell some one the hardest way to do somthing and have them say. I cant do that.

I made my 1st mufler. It works great. It is very light and aluminum is not hard to weld with a torch and some alumo weld. Some people said that it will brake. It is very britel. Not yet. lol

Make it simple and make it fun. If that is being stuped. I AM PROUD TO BE STUPED.
Man i think you so misunderstand combatpilot. He is a very large supporter of conversion engines and has many of the same goals you stated. I saw his plane fly at spadfest 09 with the ryobi engine and man it ran so strong. As far as telling you the hardest way to do something you so misunderstand. Its not that hard or complicated or expensive. Your the one making it all of that. Heis not trying to make ithard but correct. I have tried his method and I can tell you it is so accurate. even if i have to adjust the timming from the recomended 28 degrees and i find a better setting i can then measure where it is set acuratly so if something causes me to have to tear my engine apart i can reset it exactly where it was.

On the aluminum muffler with the alumiweld i dont think your gona have a problem with it if you used the stuff properly. I have looket at many $100 pitts style mufflers to find they are welded together with the same stuff. you can always tell cause the weld looks more like a solder joint than a weld bead. after they weld it the muffler is then bead blasted to give it a really nice finish to it.

Open your mind i think you two have more in common than you think.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:53 AM
airspeed1992

I have had that same phenomenon. it starts sparking on its own and wont stop till you shut it off and turn it back on. mine dosent matter if its on or off the ground but sometimes starts this when you try and start it. it will not correct itself till you turn it off and back on again. kind of like its set itself in a feed loop.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 AM
combatpilot

OMG this is just unreal. I just saw the video. I will concede that you do seem to have a pretty good feel on finding TDC with the slop method. Still this is not garunteed accurate. Funny how you back it up with the piston stop method which is the only true way to know for sure. Granted i will give it to you that you do seem to be pretty accurate withyour method but still it is not garunteed.I would not have belived it had i not seen it.

michal wood replies.

what are all the parts used to make a piston stop? the way you did that wasso super easy thanks michael
Which is what i been working so hard to try to get you all to understand.

Can not one of you bite your pride and concede to me that the piston stop method is absolutly accurate easy to do and not expensive and my time and effort and frustration was worth something????

I just dont understand how you can work so hard to discredit my info then steal my ideatomake avideo using and describing the very methods i use and describe and now suddenly their right?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
KI8FR

ORIGINAL: airspeed1992

if you, captn and I are stuped. well I like it. I have one great time being stuped.

My 1st engine I did was a homie 25. When I saw it run. WOW it felt good. I mad a vido and took a lot ot pics to show how ezy it is to do. I wanted people out there to try it out. Have fun and save some$$$$$$$.

The last thing I wanted was to tell some one the hardest way to do somthing and have them say. I cant do that.

I made my 1st mufler. It works great. It is very light and aluminum is not hard to weld with a torch and some alumo weld. Some people said that it will brake. It is very britel. Not yet. lol

Make it simple and make it fun. If that is being stuped. I AM PROUD TO BE STUPED.
Man i think you so misunderstand combatpilot. He is a very large supporter of conversion engines and has many of the same goals you stated. I saw his plane fly at spadfest 09 with the ryobi engine and man it ran so strong. As far as telling you the hardest way to do something you so misunderstand. Its not that hard or complicated or expensive. Your the one making it all of that. Heis not trying to make ithard but correct. I have tried his method and I can tell you it is so accurate. even if i have to adjust the timming from the recomended 28 degrees and i find a better setting i can then measure where it is set acuratly so if something causes me to have to tear my engine apart i can reset it exactly where it was.

On the aluminum muffler with the alumiweld i dont think your gona have a problem with it if you used the stuff properly. I have looket at many $100 pitts style mufflers to find they are welded together with the same stuff. you can always tell cause the weld looks more like a solder joint than a weld bead. after they weld it the muffler is then bead blasted to give it a really nice finish to it.

Open your mind i think you two have more in common than you think.

Ihave not misunderstood any one. Im sorry. w8ye has taken off the bad things that he had said to people that did not agre with what he said.
And it is all ver with now. I am not getting in to it.

Paul

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
captinjohn

The sound was not working on video here ( a problem with my PC) but I would say he was showing both ways are accurate. As far as stealing you Idea.....that idea of the piston stop has been around for years...hard to say who came up with it first. Hey....lets go flying!!!! Have some fun!!! combatpilot is a good pilot too I bet. Capt,n
Old 06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
combatpilot

No captn once again you misunderstand me. i feel like the song Oh god why should i be so misunderstood. i was reffering to my idea of making a video.

anhow i do regreat saying that as i have since talked to milton on the phone. He is a super nice guy and very knowlegeable. i hope the two of us has reached some sort ofunderstanding on the points and methods that we were trying to convey on this forum and i feel at this point there is no ill will on either part. thank god there is now a video so there is a visual representation of this method as describing it here just dosent seem to work.

In fact i invite any of you to call me so we can hopefully put any of this behind us and clear anything up. pm me and i will give you my number.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: michael wood

I made one by taking an old spark plug and busting the porcelain out of it leaving a hole down through the center. I then epoxied a dowel (big as the hole) into the plug cavity. Let the dowel stick out of the plug some 3/4" into the engine. Just guess at the length. On the outside it doesn't matter if it is flush with the outside or sticks out some.

The object of using the piston stop is to stop the piston before it gets to the top (maybe even about half way up the cylinder wall so your degree reference each direction will be most accurate).

There is nothing new about using a piston stop and swinging the piston up the cylinder wall from both directions to find the degrees of crankshaft rotation each way. I read about it in the 50's on hot rod car set ups and I'm sure it was not new then. There is also nothing new about feeling for top dead center with your fingers with a single or twin cylinder engine (not as accurate but good enough for our purposes).

Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Group Hug Lets go fly our weedies
Old 06-19-2009, 05:25 PM
captinjohn

HEY...Big hugs all the way around Capt,n
Old 06-19-2009, 06:30 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I hope this deal is done.....

I made my piston stop with a tube in the spark plug shell instead of a dowel.  That way I don't have to "fight" with compression when I am turning the engine over.

AV8TOR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.