Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Gungadin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Zero244

My whole point in posting is to say that the A9 is a very capable radio that can hold it's own with what ever else is out there. Yes it can certainly win in pattern competition flying as well as any other type of competitive flying. That is the point I'm trying to make.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MichealMayberry

Michel- Ideally you want to keep the antenna's away from the electronics but I've done allot of testing/flying with the antenna(s) in the worst possible places with zero issues. As long as you get a good range check at all angles then you should be fine, especially using two antenna's.

BTW... Nice bird!

Mike.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
lunarhemal

Thanks guys, for finding the right strap for me. I love the neck strap with black border strips. Dont know why Hitec discontinued it. Orange is a copy of Futaba. Why not try Orange with Black strip borders.
Something different than Futaba's.

Its a good go for $ 8.99 i will take that.

Hemal
Old 08-17-2010, 11:14 PM
lunarhemal

Hi Mike, Brendon Lugo

I have my Free Coupon for 7 Ch Rx to be claimed.

I will opt for 1+1 extra for $40. Do you have Hitec Neck strap with black strips, so that i can pay and get it in one shipping cost ??

Also, i need HPP-22, and 2 nos. 6 Ch Rx's.  let me know, how should i buy these from you.

All the above while claiming the free coupon, just to save on shipping costs.

Hemal
Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Hemal- Sorry, we don't sell direct. The coupon offer is a promotion and unfortunately you can't add things.

Team Hitec pilots video flood... enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBm92gBhlC4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i18BKC5r7S0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xIu3sIpjYI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 AM
lunarhemal

OK Mike . . . huh i will claim only the Rxs. . . . Heart Breaks. . . . I am down and out !!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 AM
lunarhemal

Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
JIMF14D

One of my planes is a Kyosho PT-17 biplane with an OS .70 four stroke. Ihave a Hitec 2.4 GHZ, seven channel Rx installed in the front cockpit for easy access. The BODA antenna body is hard mounted with the antenna end pointing up. There have been no range problems so far. Today while I was running it at the fieldInoticed the little end wire vibrating in a small arc about 1/4 inch wide at the antenna tip. Iwill try to get a picture of the motion this week. I am going to probably soft mount the boda clamp etc to try to dampen the motion since I am sure the connection will not last long as is.

You guys might want to take a look at your little things while revving up your engines. I am talking about your BODAs!

Jim D.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: A.T.
ORIGINAL: chewytm But nothing for 2S A123 batts at 6.6V? I think A123 batts are quite common nowadays as they don't require regulators with most 6V capable servos. Will anything be done about that? chewy
Unfortunately there are to many different types of cells refered to as A123 with different voltages and cut offs which is why it is hard to find good chargers and few if any on board voltage displays. I believe the engineers are trying to work on an answer but it could be a while.
Just two examples of cut off / loaded voltage measurement problems,regarding A123,availableon the net:
A123 Battery FAQ for Giant Scale and IMAC
"Here’s the biggest issue.. load testing. The beasties just don’t react like we expect.. a 1 amp load for 10 seconds will convince somebody not familiar with them that there’s something wrong with the load tester.. the needle won’t sag! I’ve even had guys start melting switch ports and connector housings trying to get enough load on the pack to use an ESV in the tried and true sense. Just doesn’t work. Because of the incredibly flat discharge curve and the ability of the cell to hold voltage while doing 'heavy lifting', using a standing voltage level under load to decide when to recharge can lead to a disaster because when the cells go flat they do so remarkably fast. So, we go to the next question.."
A123 battery Information - SinCity Jets.
"The battery's only downside is that you can not tell how much energy is left in the pack by reading the voltage. Because the discharge curve of the pack is so flat, the voltage will be almost the same throught its cycle, and then "cliff dive" at the end of its cycle. Because of this, it is important to become familiar with how much energy your vehicle uses during each use. For planes, I advise people to fully charge their batteries and then fly 2-3 flights. Then, fully charge the packs again and see how much energy (Mah) you put back in to the packs. Then simply divide the amount of energy by the number of flights and come up with your average Mah per flight. This will allow you to set your safe cut-off. It is advisable to only use 1800-2000 of the pack's 2300 Mah's. " Regards Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Update 18 Aug 2010:
Following recent upgrade ofAurorato V1.07 and Spectra pro Module to V2.0, user is now able to set voltage alert levels.
(View Version 1.07 Manual Addendum) page 5 refers

Current related discussion elsewhere regarding Eneloop cells.and benefit of battery voltage telemetry.

"Quote: Originally Posted by MikeMayberry - but take this situation for example: a guy was flying with a 5 cell 2000mah Eneloop RX pack that cycled easily to 2000 mah with a 1A load and worked fine in a sport application for over a year, but when that same pack was used in a larger application with multiple digital servos it fell flat on it's face and the low voltage warning would kick it under normal maneuvers.
Of course if he had made a proper battery selection in the first place then everything else is moot.
The Eneloop cells are fine in transmitters and low load airborne use. But their high internal impedance makes them unsuitable for any kind of potentially high load use. Under load these cells have a large voltage depression due to the high internal impedance.
You do not need telemetry to tell you that - Silent-AV8R "
Response - Mike Mayberry
" Agreed that these batteries were the wrong tool for the job, but in this case the user was unaware that they were not suitable and luckily landed when the low battery warning went off, most likely saving the airplane. A loaded volt meter even at 2A (equivalent of one digital servo) would not have made a difference here as the load would not have been high enough to sag the voltage. Flight loads vary with the servos in use, but if you consider that a high power digital servo working hard can easily pull 2A each (or more) then the only accurate way to see how the battery handle the actual flight conditions is with telemetry.
Yes, most of you know what you're doing but so many R/Cers out there have no idea about how the flight loads can affect the battery voltage; this goes for BEC's used in Electronic Speed Controls which which with the higher voltage threshold of 2.4 is the culprit for so many brownout crashes. What percentage of pilots use a loaded volt meter every time they fly? Not many. How many with telemetry check their battery every time they fly? 100%
Sorry, I know this thread, as many others do, has morphed into a battery discussion but to say that telemetry is no replacement for a good voltmeter which most don't use, or that you don't need it to tell you that your batteries can't handle the loads because you should have already know this is not realistic. It may be easy for some of you to justify that you don't need it, but it opened up a whole new understanding for me as to actually what's going on with batteries and BEC's in flight that I never really knew, and I consider myself and expert too! It's not a novilty... it's a tool, and I would think that all radio manufacturers will have to encorporate it into their systems sooner or later just like 2.4ghz. . Mike. "

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM
notruthless

Update 18 Aug 2010:
Following recent upgrade ofAurorato V1.07 and Spectra pro Module to V2.0, user is now able to set voltage alert levels.
(View Version 1.07 Manual Adendum)page 5 refers
Alan,
I'm unable to open this link. It is showing "the page cannot be found" error.

Thanks,
Chris

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_OWN~1.HOM/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/img]

Old 08-18-2010, 06:05 PM
PfalzPflyer
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

You guys might want to take a look at your little things while revving up your engines. I am talking about your BODAs!

Jim D.
Thanks for clearing that up, otherwise I would have made a complete fool of myself at the field.

Dean in Omaha
Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: notruthless
ORIGINAL: A.T. Update 18 Aug 2010:
Following recent upgrade of Aurora to V1.07 and Spectra pro Module to V2.0, user is now able to set voltage alert levels. (View Version 1.07 Manual Adendum) page 5 refers

Alan, I'm unable to open this link. It is showing "the page cannot be found" error. Thanks, Chris
Sorry last digit missing from url, corrected, please try

Tks
Alan.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:16 AM
notruthless

Sorry last digit missing from url, corrected, please try

Tks
Alan.

It works like a charm now. Thank you, sir!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:16 AM
MThemadhatter

Hi all

I have had a search through the manual and this thread but can't find the answer to this.

I am setting up a model with dual flap and aileron servos, the channel set up screen only says "aileron, aileron1". Which is the left aileron and which is the right ? What is the convention with the Aurora 9 ?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 AM
JIMF14D

channel 1 is right aileron.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: MThemadhatter

Hi all

I have had a search through the manual and this thread but can't find the answer to this.

I am setting up a model with dual flap and aileron servos, the channel set up screen only says ''aileron, aileron1''. Which is the left aileron and which is the right ? What is the convention with the Aurora 9 ?
Just pick 2 channels and name them aile and ail2, or flap and flp2. There is no real convention, just do what you want. Use whatever channel for whatever you want.

I usually set channels up to make the wiring neater, particularly if I use a power expander, and to make it logical. For example I use the rear channel on either side for elevators, that makes it easier to remember what goes where.

TF
Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Michel

Hi

Any chance of getting info on the telemetry delivery , any chance soon ? [8D] Or is it out ?

Michel
Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM
JIMF14D

Well I thought the purpose of the little canned top level menu that leads you through # number of engines, wings, tails, air brake, fuel adjust etc was designed to speed up the basic model set up so you don't have to stop and assign channels and servos for basic model set up?

What am Imissing?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

The ability to set it up the way you want it. ( if you care to )

I guess I should have explained.. I may want one servo lead, or all the servo leads, in a certain position on the receiver. On most of my "4&5" servo models I do start out with the Wizard and then change channel assignments the way I want them. The wizard take the basic set-up for a straight forward airplane and does ( IMHO ) make it easy. I'm just so pleased that I can assign any given channel's position so it is logical to me.

Older more experienced modelers, like Tom, will start from scratch because they know exactly where they are going.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
rctom

Well I thought the purpose of the little canned top level menu that leads you through # number of engines, wings, tails, air brake, fuel adjust etc was designed to speed up the basic model set up so you don't have to stop and assign channels and servos for basic model set up?

What am I missing?
Maybe nothing. The first thing I do is set up my channel assignments and I have never used the setup "wizard". I like knowing exactly what is going on, it takes less time to do it myself than it does to use the wizard and then try to figure out what it did and then correct it to the way I want it.

But that's just me. So I don't know what the default setup is because I never use it.

Sorry to appear ignorant. Really, I feel silly that I don't know the answer to probably the most basic question because I always just skip over that part.

TF
Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 AM
MThemadhatter

Thanks for the answer, it seemed slightly strange that it does not mention this in the manual anywhere, after all I thought the set up process was there to make things easy.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: rctom

What am Imissing?
Maybe nothing. The first thing I do is set up my channel assignments and I have never used the setup "wizard". I like knowing exactly what is going on, it takes less time to do it myself than it does to use the wizard and then try to figure out what it did and then correct it to the way I want it.

But that's just me. So I don't know what the default setup is because I never use it.

Sorry to appear ignorant. Really, I feel silly that I don't know the answer to probably the most basic question because I always just skip over that part.

TF
Tom - I have to admit to the same thing. In fact, I wasn't even AWARE there was a Wizard !!! I just start out with channel/stick axis assignment, then go from there. And I use the Monitor function a LOTwhen setting up new planes, just to be sure.
Another thing I do is COPY a lot...then rename and tweak as needed, because doing that lets me keep the switch functions as I remember them. For example, Switch F is always my "SMOKE"switch, and switch G is my "KILL" throttle-down function. Works for me, as it keeps me from hitting wrong switches when I go from plane to plane.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:18 PM
A.T.

Latency advertising hype.
<hr size="1" style="background-color: #a7a7a7; color: #a7a7a7" />
Try the Speed test..

Poll: Hitec A9 Awesome or Not
and as originally posted page 23 "Sticky: NEW - Hitec Aurora 9 Radio Videos ( 1 2 3 4 ... Last Page) Finless "
Originally Posted by [B
[/B]My opinion about latency..... Milliseconds are itty bitty teenie weenie fractions of time that are very unlikely sensed or controlled by a much slower-reacting human. Other than that...you are overthinking an issue that really does not apply to 99.9 percent of the R/C heli pilot community.
If you want the radio that the paid guy has so you FEEL like you can fly like him, buy one.

Here is where I show why I have this opinion about latency. First, take a look at the first link that shows latency figures in comparring the leading brands of radios. Bear in mind that the figures as shown are expressed with the decimal point cleverly moved to the left of actual decimal position, making it seem bigger. For example, 11.5 milliseconds is really .0115 seconds. It just looks bigger, which makes the competing brands having say 32.5ms look HUGE and SLOW and in granny-gear.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751750.asp

Now take this speed test:
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/reaction-timer.htm

The speed test is expressed in milliseconds. If you can prove that your reaction/control input times are FASTER than the DIFFERENCE between the leading brands of radios..your picture should be on the cover of all heli magazines, every month...forever.
Last edited by Gonzo_; 08-13-2010 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: splelling ..
Note how advertiser fudged the figures..Try the test.
Regards
Alan T.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Michel

Hi

Thats a great site you put up AT , and it was fun . the best I was able to do was .254 , .................. works for me . Must be age

Well I have a new question if someone would be kind to answer .

I have my flaps working . They are set on a three position switch . I used the end points to set " UP " and " FULL " flap . I used " SUB " to set my half flaps .

I have read the manual , but the wording doesn,t seem to match the way " I " understand it to read .

Here are my questions .

1 ) is this the right way to set-up flaps ?
2 ) I would like to have my flaps work at a certain percent of throttle ( this is where I get stuck ) This would mean that if I go lower than half flap ( for example ) , the flaps will deploy .

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks

Michel
Old 08-28-2010, 02:00 AM
ss40

As was indicated elsewhere that just means your time is added to the radio latency. It means nothing if you are fast other than your quick time + latency is faster than my quick time + latency if the latency is the same. If the radios differ greatly then my slow time plus short latency could be faster than your quick time and greater latency.

One other thing I noticed is the test records when your press comes "up" not when you press the button but when you actually release it, so it is very misleading. Go ahead and press it and don't release for 3 seconds and it will claim you took 3 seconds to react. Not true if you pressed down in .001 seconds is it? !!

I am happy with the A9 but this little deal adds nothing to the discussion IMNSHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.