Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

7CAP - lost endpoints after timer setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 02:48 PM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7CAP - lost endpoints after timer setup

After setting up the endpoints on the channels I am using (1-4) and testing everything I decided to try out the timer feature. I set the timer to be activated by the throttle and to count up and to let me know when 10 minutes had elapsed.
Next check with the plane I had no throws on right aileron stick input. I took a look at the endpoint settings and they had all gone. Actually the right hand setting of the pairs had just disappeared.

Not sure if it was related, the very next flight (after setting up the endpoints again) while in the air the throttle did not appear to be running full on full I decided to bring it in to take a look and the throttle cut when it should have been at idle just turning in to my final line-up, I tip-stalled and crashed and now have a badly bust up Big Stik, probably repairable but all the same very annoying. The throttle cut switch was not engaged but I guess the endpoint was not where it needed to be to get the idle, just guessing, as also the throttle wide open sure seemed to be short of wide open.

I am not the only person at our field with this radio that has noted a timer setup change blasting the endpoint settings, the only other flyer I know with this radio has seen the problem also, and by the way the problem is repeatable and happens every time! A fix is needed!!!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:52 PM
Krysta

Default RE: 7CAP - lost endpoints after timer setup

Hi boss351,

We have set up our 7C here in our shop and in our Futaba Support department without the same results.

Two separate radios were used and as the counted down and went off, neither of us lost our endpoint settings.

I am not sure what your settings are or were, but if you could give us more details I will try to help you out.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Also you may want to check our Website at (http://www.futaba-rc.co
Old 03-11-2004, 04:20 PM
boss351

I am going to try and figure out the exact sequence this evening. I have been busy each evening fixing the downed plane! Is there anyway to zero out all configurations so the radio is the same as it was coming out of the box?

Adam
Old 03-11-2004, 04:29 PM
boss351

Another note. The settings didn't get lost on activation of the timer or it finishing its counting process, the settings got lost after setting up the timer only... This was exactly what I saw on the other flyers 7CAP at the airfield also.

Adam
Old 03-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Krysta

Hi Adam,

We have also tried this without losing any programming. If it was an isolated incident with only one radio doing this, I would say to send it in, but I find it strange that there are three such radios at the same field that are all doing this.

Please try to get back to me on the exact sequence you are doing as soon as you can.

As for resetting the radio, you can go into the PARA screen and do a reset. This will need to be done of course in each model that you have programming set in.

Thanks, Krysta
Old 04-06-2004, 11:17 AM
boss351

Sent PM. Please look at similar thread in RC Radios forum. There have been some discoveries!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Hammer357

Krysta

I have an 7CAP that produces the exact same endpoint/timer conflict as Adam mentions. The problem can be produced every time a 'timer' change is created and on any model selection. I have included the following radio setup information for your review:
Modulation: PPM
E.Point: CH1 100%/100%, CH2 100%/100%, CH3 80%/90%, CH4 110%/110%
All Other: Model Specific

On a related note, I don't think that the problem is limited to a few as there is evidence on another 7CAP radio at the field. We can reproduce the same 'glitch' on the other radio. Lucky for me, I discovered this problem on the ground and not in the air (limited the drama a bit).

It should be noted that it is a great radio for the buck, just have to remember the timer and end point issue before you go to the air. Even better, if there is a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We've found that there's a mistake in the instructions. There's a tech note going into the Futaba RC site about this.

Just don't press the dial as the instructions mention and the ATV reset won't happen. You don't need to press the dial button to set up the timer.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Hammer357

Bill

Thanks alot for answering the 'pesky' question. I'll pass it on.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:20 AM
mattalbr
My Feedback: (1)

How else can I set the timer start stick position if I can't press the dial button? I have reproduced the same error on my 7cap. Put some endpoints all the way to zero.

If there's no work around besides not using the feature, I'll be extremely disappointed. Could've just outright bought a radio without a fully funtional timer less $. What do you have to say Futaba?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you set everything up and just don't press the dial button, the timer works.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:09 PM
mattalbr

I know the timer works without pressing the dial. My point is that pressing the dial allows you to specify at which stick position the timer kicks on or off. When you have the stick in position you want as a trigger point, you press the dial button. The default trigger location is about 50%. That's not keeping an accurate time of "on" throttle for me because I run electrics.

How about it?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:19 PM
BGR

ORIGINAL: mattalbr

I know the timer works without pressing the dial. My point is that pressing the dial allows you to specify at which stick position the timer kicks on or off. When you have the stick in position you want as a trigger point, you press the dial button. The default trigger location is about 50%. That's not keeping an accurate time of "on" throttle for me because I run electrics.

How about it?
Sounds like a software problem. The fix that Bax mentioned suggests that you can fly with the radio without losing your settings and crashing your plane if you don't use the timer the way you want.

or

There is no such feature as an adjustable trigger point and as Bax said, the manual is in error. However if pressing this button erases things un-intentionally then we are back to a software problem.

Lets hope Futaba fixes these issues. I have been looking at buying a 7C myself, I am waiting for Futaba to fix these bugs before buying the radio. Do not wait too long Futaba, the money is burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:48 AM
mattalbr

I'm sorry if I was coming off with a bad attitude. It's just that I have ALREADY dropped my hard-earned cash on this radio. Now I'm afraid to use the thing the way it says it is able to be used. I, too, hope FUTABA addresses this promtly and properly.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:19 AM
canopy2k

How weird? Just by chance I happened to come across this thread, and I have had the same exact problem. I just bought a 7cap today and was getting it all set up. Had it ready to go, and was testing the timer. I just happened to move the ailerons and the right side was dead. First thought was somehow the servo died, but i got out my other TX and it worked fine. Started checking menus, and sure enough, there it was, the endpoint was 0%. This has got to be an issue with all of them. Is there any other info out there about this? and yes, I can duplicate it.

brice
Old 04-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Felix21685

i too am looking at buying this radio will there be anything done by Futaba to correct this ?
Felix
Old 04-26-2004, 03:35 AM
Felix21685

so how do you set the timer to start when you move the stick to a certain point without losing the endpoints???
Felix
Old 04-26-2004, 06:51 AM
canopy2k

As far as I can tell, you dont. You just have to set the timer to your satisfaction, then go back and reset the endpoint. At least thats what Im doing.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Dsegal

> How weird? Just by chance I happened to come across this thread, and I have had the same exact problem. I just bought a 7cap today and was getting it all set up. Had it ready to go, and was testing the timer. I just happened to move the ailerons and the right side was dead. <

A few days ago I took my new 7CAP to the field for the first time. As I had a repaired aircraft, I decided to do the test flights with the old transmitter. It flew fine so then I turned on the 7CAP to do a ground check and was puzzled why my right aileron servo was not working. I thought that I had made a mistake in setting it up. Now I know the truth. Thanks to all of you guys for making us aware of this problem. Futaba had better get off their butts and deal with it.

P.S. I checked the other two models I had programmed and the problem hit them also.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Felix21685

yeah i know it sucks.

i just got mine in the mail today and if i didnt do research and i set up my plane all right then set the timer and taken off
it would have resulted in a BIG-C... and guess what the little sheet with errors that came with the manual didnt mention a thing..
ridiculous
Felix
Old 07-07-2004, 01:50 PM
martin18152

Add another zeroed out right aileron, and a crashed plane to the list. It happened during the plane set up, thought it was just a programing mistake, then it happened at the field 2 months after I bought the radio, cartwheeled my plane on take off. I can't seem to reproduce it. I thing it may relate to where the stick is positioned when you set the timer point.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Trombe

Is Futaba going to do anything about this? Or are they going to continue to lie and pretend there is nothing wrong?