Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New SV Gassers

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:07 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New SV Gassers

Very interesting, his prices are higher, but if he has parts in stock, we could sure use him.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 AM
sean sutherland
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drop Larry a line he has been very helpful to me and im not even in the US !
Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
freeonthree

Yes, I saved the website. I didn't see a parts listing there, but I'll give him a call, thanks !
Old 03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Whats the word on the XY 50? I have the SV-26 and it is a very good running engine now. Dennis helped me out a lot with getting it running right. I am thinking of getting either the XY 50 or the FDTL 45 next and I was hoping to hear how the XY 50 was running. Any problems we should know about before ordering one or should I go for the FTL 45?

Dennis,
Any update to the problems you are having with Hobby City on getting your engines repaired or your back orders?[&o]
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
freeonthree

Were still waiting for the rear crankcases for the SV50 and SV26. They cancelled the props for us, and we got the FTL45 today. Still waitin on the cdi box's and hall sensors. Gregs installing the FTL45 right now. I think it's going to be a keeper, it looks very good, and the mounts look very strong.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
ozzmanace

i've been told i have to use a pcm receiver. is this the case? i have a jr 9303 with a synth. module. what are you guys using. and have you had any gliches.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 PM
freeonthree

I had a glitch until I secured the plug cap to the top fin of the head with a wire tie. I guess it stabilizes the metal sheeth from vibrating on the hex part of the spark plug, thats all I can figure, because if I remove it, I have a glitch. Odd but true...
Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
ozzmanace

aren't you afraid of it popping loose and causing problems?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM
NM2K

Troubleshoot and test your gas powered models with an FM receiver. PCM hides interference by not permitting the servos to respond to the glitches that would severely affect an FM receiver, but, with the model very close to the transmitter, the system may appear to operate normally. As the model moves away from the transmitter, it's signal strength diminishes as the distance increases. At some point, your PCM system will cease to work at all.

It is best to make your model pass a ground range check with no more than a 10% loss in operating range with the engine running at various rpm settings utilizing the FM receiver. The same rules apply to an AM receiver, on the off chance that you have one in use.

Once the model has been cleaned up of extraneous RF emissions and your system is working properly, by all means feel free to use a PCM receiver in place of the FM receiver. Periodically check your model's ground range with the FM receiver. Also check your ground range with an FM receiver whenever your PCM system becomes sluggish in the air.

The jury is out on the new 2.4 GHz spread spectrum systems, but they have been performing well according to most folks. Still, do not get sloppy with your installation just because you are using a 2.4 GHz spread spectrum system (I'm addressing the group). Radios are radios and there isn't one in existence that doesn't perform better in a noise free environment.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM
ozzmanace

thanks ed! you were very helpful
Old 03-12-2008, 06:17 PM
ozzmanace

i'm in a fairly new club with guys who are paying their dues in expierence. myself, i've been pylon racing for 7 years now, flying for 12 years. but am new to gas engines. also never used pcm. should i be concerned with getting pcm or is making sure my fm works without a glitch good enough.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM
NM2K

By making the system work with an FM receiver, you are putting it to the test in a worst possible case scenario.

Note that both FM and PCM "receivers" utilize the same circuitry in their front ends, RF section, of the receiver. The real difference between FM and PCM is in the second part of the "receiver" - the decoder.

Decoders are not intelligent devices as yet, at least not in the average R/C system, whether FM or PCM. The day may come when AI (artificial intelligence) is applied to the algorhythms that operate the decoder(s), but we aren't there yet. In fact, we aren't even close because of cost/space/weight constraints.

The worst thing that a modeler can do in this regard is to give a PCM system much more credit at filtering extraneous signals than it truly deserves.

Ed Cregger

Old 03-12-2008, 06:53 PM
freeonthree

Not really, I flew without it a couple of times before I figured it out, after I put the engine back on and forgot to put it back on. The only thing I could see that was different was the missing wire tie, so I put another one on, and my suttle in flight glitching was gone. That plane im sad to say is no more though. One of the guys at the flying site turned on a tx on channel 33 while I was coming in for a landing, and shot me down. He bought me a new Stearman, so im not too upset. I gotta say, that was a very helpless feeling, watching the plane go crazy without my help. Im very glad that the guy that shot me down has a good job. lol
Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 AM
sean sutherland

Sorry to hear Freeonthree that was a nice stearman what are you going to put your 26cc engine in now?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
DaveP

Guys-

I'd like to try an SV26 on a Goldberg Extra 300 (68" span) kit, but I borrowed one to check against the plans and it's at least 1/2" too long. I could move the firewall back (not easy & cramps fuel space) or move the cowl forward, but it seems to me that the 1.25" long prop driver doesn't need to be that long. Has anybody tried or thought about shortening the prop driver?

I'd have no problem shortening or making a new driver if I could just get the old one off. I tried unsuccessfully to unscrew the prop stud with a 14mm socket, but couldn't grip the drive washer well enough to break it loose - after all, it's a borrowed engine, so I was limited to using a strap wrench so the owner would remain clueless.

Any hints on how to get the prop driver off? It IS a normal righthand thread, isn't it? "Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosy".

Yes, I know side-carb engines are shorter, but the SV26 has my wallet's attention.

-Dave
Old 03-13-2008, 07:16 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Two way's to get it off, One is impact wrench or you can stuff the cylinder with some small rope, It does come off counter wise and probably has some kind of lock tight on it.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:01 PM
DaveP

Thanks for the input, Milton. I hadn't thought of the old rope trick. I've stuffed car cylinders to keep the valves in place, but haven't tried rope to block crankshaft motion. Sure beats jamming a screwdriver in the exhaust port!
-Dave
Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: DaveP

Thanks for the input, Milton. I hadn't thought of the old rope trick. I've stuffed car cylinders to keep the valves in place, but haven't tried rope to block crankshaft motion. Sure beats jamming a screwdriver in the exhaust port!
-Dave
Never tried stuffing car clylinders, Used to have a adapter for spark plug hole and used air pressure to hold valves in place.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:25 PM
NM2K

The potential for being shot down is why I went to six meters originally. Now I have gone to 2.4 GHz. So far, so good.

Flying simple aircraft, such as the GP Stearman, an inexpensive Futaba FASST 6 Tx/Rx should be enough to get you going using your old servos, etc. I have two of them, plus more complicated stuff from Spektrum (6 & 7) and some third party modules for JR gear. I'm going to unload the Spektrum stuff. I prefer Futaba's method of spread spectrum, at least theoretically. Much more difficult to have a shoot down with that type of frequency hopping.

The Spektrum 6 and 7 are new in box. I'm not opposed to trading for kits, engines, etc....

Ed Cregger
Old 03-14-2008, 06:45 PM
freeonthree

Well, im a very simple dude. lol Up to now, I havn't had any trouble, and from now on, im going to be doing alot more interigating before taking off.
(Are you sure you don't have anything on channel 33 that I should confiscate the tx to while I fly ?)
Old 03-20-2008, 04:51 AM
sean sutherland

Did i read that you are getting a new stearman ?? did you get your new backing plate mount from ripoff city ?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 AM
sean sutherland

Hey FreeonThree ,
How Goes it buddy ??? Did you get your backing plate ??? I heard you have a new Beast for the 26cc ? Photos Video ?? New Muffler Jen Engines (SV, GRpro Dealer in UK) has a slightly modified version muffler, same can smaller exit pipes and smaller header tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67621.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	908461  
Old 03-20-2008, 12:41 PM
freeonthree

Nope, we havnt gotten them yet, and I will NEVER buy anything from Hobby City again. They don't deserve to be in business. The SV 50 they sold us is useless. It will shake apart anything it's bolted to. It would destroy any plane out there in a few minutes of run time it shakes so terribly. The SV26 runs fine, but it's made out of junk metal. Also, these chinese engine have prop adaptors that are drilled and tapped crook-ed, and I even found a bolt in my engine that was too long and bottoming out before it tighted the case halves in that corner. Ridiculas...
Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

An excellent post Ed.

Karol
Old 03-20-2008, 02:25 PM
freeonthree

Well, it was a silly mistake, and the guy bought me a new plane. I've been flying for 6 years, and thats the first time that ever happened. I cannot afford the new fancy radio gear. I still owe $1500 on the stuff I have, and now I have to sell 2 of my planes for $500.00 so I can buy a good engine for my new Stearman. No more Chinese junk engines for me. Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.