Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Ignition loads current verses input voltage

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Ignition loads current verses input voltage

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:42 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition loads current verses input voltage

Ignition loads current verses input voltage.

It was stated in the Evolution 58cc dying thread by a member that higher battery voltage results in lower current draw. Quote “Check out ohms law!!! The higher the voltage the lower the current draw, FACT!!! “

This is backwards. A higher source voltage with a constant load always means a higher current draw.

First you need to know what the load resistance is. To do that ohms law says R=E/I . Lets use 4.8 volts for the voltage. For the current I’ll use what bcchi stated (since he builds what most consider the finest ignition systems on the market).
“The RCEXL for example a clone of mine. On average will draw 400MA at 8000 RPM,4.8 volts ,500 MA at 8000RPM 6 volts,600MA 8000RPM.7.4 volts.Go figure.I just went and checked 10 new CHRCEXL ignitions..This was average on all of them,not all exactly the same but close.”

So lets use 500 mA or .5 amps. The load resistance is therefore 4.8/.5 or 9.6 ohms.

If we use a 6 volt battery pack the current draw is I=E/R or 6/9.6= .625 or 625 mA current draw.

Higher voltage results in higher current. Sorry guys but this was really bugging me.

Later,
John
Old 05-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ignition loads current verses input voltage

Good explanation.

Others have been trying to tell people for years it's similar to plumbing to make mental imagery easier. Bigger pipe, more flow. They don't like to listen and instead figure more is always better. Ain't so.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:59 PM
JNorton

I had to say something. Sometimes it easy to get a wrong conclusion and then state it as fact.

I simply wanted to show how to arrive at the correct conclusion. Something I should have done in my first reply on the 58 cc thread.

John
Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Yep, good answer and good explanation, though I can't believe you went to all the trouble to test 10 ignitions!! Ohm's law is Ohm's law! But maybe it takes 10 times to convince some people huh?

AV8TOR
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM
tkg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean BCCHI was right[X(]
Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Ignition loads current verses input voltage.

It was stated in the Evolution 58cc dying thread by a member that higher battery voltage results in lower current draw. Quote “Check out ohms law!!! The higher the voltage the lower the current draw, FACT!!! “

This is backwards. A higher source voltage with a constant load always means a higher current draw.

First you need to know what the load resistance is. To do that ohms law says R=E/I . Lets use 4.8 volts for the voltage. For the current I’ll use what bcchi stated (since he builds what most consider the finest ignition systems on the market).
“The RCEXL for example a clone of mine. On average will draw 400MA at 8000 RPM,4.8 volts ,500 MA at 8000RPM 6 volts,600MA 8000RPM.7.4 volts.Go figure.I just went and checked 10 new CHRCEXL ignitions..This was average on all of them,not all exactly the same but close.”

So lets use 500 mA or .5 amps. The load resistance is therefore 4.8/.5 or 9.6 ohms.

If we use a 6 volt battery pack the current draw is I=E/R or 6/9.6= .625 or 625 mA current draw.

Higher voltage results in higher current. Sorry guys but this was really bugging me.

Later,
John
Thank You.
BCCHI
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Yep, good answer and good explanation, though I can't believe you went to all the trouble to test 10 ignitions!! Ohm's law is Ohm's law! But maybe it takes 10 times to convince some people huh?

AV8TOR
Doesn't matter we put all of the CHRCEXL ignitions through our tough test.Spend about 10 min,s on each of them.It is worth our effort to do this.
BCCHI
Old 05-05-2010, 11:03 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Well, you guys sell a quality product and always have. That's for sure.

AV8TOR
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Many folks sort of know that for a given wattage, higher voltage means lower current. Additionally, lots of folks who are not electrical professionals have also heard about I square R losses and realize that running a higher voltage for a given wattage, with its reduced current, is more efficient than obtaining the same wattage with lower voltage and higher current.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Proves my point, but I'm no engineer, I love when the engineer in the attachment exclaims, WHAT???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw67252.png
Views:	13
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1431543  
Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 AM
pe reivers

Ed,
What makes you think the Wattage remains the same if you increase voltage? That would depend on the appliance design wouldn't it?
ORIGINAL: NM2K

Many folks sort of know that for a given wattage, higher voltage means lower current. Additionally, lots of folks who are not electrical professionals have also heard about I square R losses and realize that running a higher voltage for a given wattage, with its reduced current, is more efficient than obtaining the same wattage with lower voltage and higher current.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 AM
JNorton

Shezzee Ed thanks for muddying the waters! You are talking about transformers or the transmission line itself. Wattage with the same load will also increase when you raise the voltage for a fixed load. Lets take the same example.

So lets use 500 mA or .5 amps. The load resistance is therefore 4.8/.5 or 9.6 ohms. P=IXE .5 A X 4.8 volts = 2.4 watts

If we use a 6 volt battery pack the current draw is I=E/R or 6/9.6= .625 or 625 mA current draw. .625 A X 6 volts = 3 watts

IF THE LOAD REMAINS THE SAME - AND YOU INCREASE THE VOLTAGE THE CURRENT WILL ALSO INCREASE. PERIOD.

Kurt it does not prove your point. Look at the math. Please look at the math.

John
Old 05-06-2010, 06:07 AM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: tkg

You mean BCCHI was right[X(]
Isn't he always.

BCCHI You're welcome.

John
Old 05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Good explanation.

Others have been trying to tell people for years it's similar to plumbing to make mental imagery easier. Bigger pipe, more flow. They don't like to listen and instead figure more is always better. Ain't so.
You 'gotta quit using mixed metaphors Pat....

For a simple explanation of amperage, the water pipe/plumbing description works as advertised but in this discussion guys are talking about voltage which would equate to pressure in a pipe/plumbing description. That's a whole 'nuther ball game as has been pointed out above. Increasing the water pressure (voltage) increases friction loss (resistance) in a given size hose/pipe.

Where the newbie 'lectric guys really get into trouble with these ideas/computations, is when the load is variable like most 'lectric powered models as that changes things again vs. the example JNorton gave which is a fixed load.

Being a retired firefighter, I know all 'bout friction loss for computing fire flow. Being an A&P required me to learn more about electricity than I wanted to and there is still lots more I don't know, but don't 'wanna learn any more than I have to now to to keep my models in the air, like when it took Dick Hanson 6 months to convince me to give A123's a try.

The plumbing description compared to electricity stuff does work for complete neophytes or those who think they can't grasp some of the basic concepts...

Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 AM
JNorton

Even in a variable load for any giving point in that load if you increase the voltage for that given point the current will rise to. A variable motor loads gets tricky determining battery life and ESC capacity.

I just want to nail this concept down - if you increase voltage to a load the current will increase. It doesn't matter if you use power or current as everything is related in the formulas given. They are not separate stand alone entities. Change one value the other will change. You cannot have current flow without having power being dissapated through a resistance. Power is related to the voltage times current drawn. In addition every component also has capacity and inductive values present.

Look at the chart.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23108.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1431665  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
kurt2022

norton, That also means the output will increase also, in a motor that means higher rpm and in an ignition coil that means a hotter spark, if you take the regulator or heat sink out of the equation.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
JNorton

Higher voltage will give you higher power or output to the load.

I don't have a disagreement with a brushed motor, it will speed up. A 3 phase DC motor may or may not depending upon the ECS - usually it will also speed up.

However an ignition circuit depending upon how its designed it may or may not provide a hotter spark. If the ignition uses a switching designed boost source for the coil the output will tend to be self stabilized. Ask Bcchi what his does.

John
Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
kurt2022

The way I look at it is this way, if you had an ignition coil wrapped or wound for 4.8v input and 10,000v output and ran with a 4.8v battery, verses an ignition coil wrapped or wound for 6v input and 10,000v output ran on a 6v battery you should have 20% less current draw on the 6v coil. That takes the power loss(heat generated) from the regulator out, when 6v is dropped to 4.8v by the internal regulator! Am I right?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

norton, That also means the output will increase also, in a motor that means higher rpm and in an ignition coil that means a hotter spark, if you take the regulator or heat sink out of the equation.
I want you to think about the original statement - Quote “Check out ohms law!!! The higher the voltage the lower the current draw, FACT!!! “
if this held true you would have less power and the motor would run slower with higher voltage applied.

John
Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
kurt2022

Norton, Are we starting to agree, Oh my gosh!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
JNorton

No we are not. You stated higher voltage lower current.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
kurt2022

It would run faster until it smoked, if it was not rated for the higher voltage
Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
jedijody

The coil will only discharge enough power to hit ground, the higher the resistance the more power used up to its full capacity. Higher input voltage will provide a higher available secondary voltage but it will not be used if the resistance is low, excess is disipated as heat and not good for the ignition over time.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

It would run faster until it smoked, if it was not rated for the higher voltage
Kurt,
An observed fact but why does it smoke? Because the current increases so much that the motor windings can no longer handle it - they glow red and insulation is burned off. Smoking the motor.

Do you now agree with higher voltage comes higher current?
John
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: jedijody

The coil will only discharge enough power to hit ground, the higher the resistance the more power used up to its full capacity. Higher input voltage will provide a higher available secondary voltage but it will not be used if the resistance is low, excess is disipated as heat and not good for the ignition over time.
Thanks Jody. Your absolutely correct the coil itself limits the output voltage.

I think this topic has been pretty well beaten to death.

Later,
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.