Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:13 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I'll agree with Jim about Advantage Hobbies. They seem to have just about everything. I go to them first now when buying parts.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

By the way, guys, thanks for all those Kudos...

As any veteran will tell you, it was our honor to serve....

Bob
Old 11-13-2011, 10:15 AM
DPUltimate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Origianal: DPUltimate

Hi all:

I have a Satio 180 GK that was in my DP Ultimate. Unfortunately, the plane did not survive a left wingtip stall from about 25 feet up. The plane came in at about 70 degrees and broke the prop and folded the wings. As a result, I'm wondering what the acceptable run out is on the crankshaft. I have mine on a dial indicator and I'm indicating 5 thousandths of an inch run out. What is the acceptable amount that is still within tolerance? Thanks!
I think Dave uses .002'' run out as his tolerance. It must be OK for his clients are happy with his work. It depends on how accurately you were able to get a reading off the tip of the crank. The threads present a problem in getting an accurate measurement.

I had a 125 with a a run out like you mention and I showed it to the owner. We went and ran the engine on a test stand last Christmas eve and we could not feel any abnormal vibration difference from any other Saito this size and to view the blade tracking of the prop it was right on. So we forgot about the run out.

Maybe you should mount yours up and see how it runs?

I sent in my Saito 180 to have the crankshaft checked by the folks at Horizon Hobby. The tolerance they use is 2 thousandths as well (as you indicated that Dave also uses). Mine was .003" past acceptable at .005" run-out.

As many on this thread have said, replace the bearings as well. The Horizon Technician found minor bearing damage as well. Seems more damage was done by the prop striking the ground as opposed to the impact directly.....

So that is the reason why I had excessive vibration.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: jymster

w8ye,

I finally figured out the timing for the 270T. You need to line up the dimple on the cam gear directly into the crankcase when the right piston is at TDC for the right cylinder timing, then rotate through 360 degrees and line up the ''line'' on the left cam gear (not the dimple). I did find a line on this gear in the end, and it was 90 degrees around from the dimple, thus confirming my suspiscion that the engine was 90 deg out of time.

Thanks for you help.

James.
Hello Fellow Friends of the Saito , ,

I'm presently in the process of replacing the bearings in my 270T , and I want to thank you greatly for your written record of the correct timing procedure for the cams . Its nice to know that a quick search at a great RC site like RCU can provide the answers I seek . Both jymster and w8ye have made my day with their easy to understand procedure for timing this engine .

I realize the post I'm responding to is several years old , but the info within is VERY "today" for me

Happy Flying guys
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
jg95762
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,

I am converting an electric Eflite Rhapsody biplane to glow with a Saito 40. I am trying to figure out which way up to mount the motor (inverted, side, upright). I would prefer to mount it inverted because it looks bested that way. However, if I mount the motor inverted then the fuel line out of the tank is a good 20mm above the center of the carb - the Saito instructions say to keep the tank 5mm below - I have never paid much attention to this type of thing before because with planes design for glow the tank and carb align. I am assuming the carb being below the fuel line will cause fuel to drain/syphon from the tank when it is just sitting. I was thinking I could run the fuel line down below the carb and then back up - kind of like the ubend in a sink. But then the fuel line is kind of long. Anyone have exprience with this? Any ideas?

I also have a Saito 50 that I was given. Very old and beat up on the outside - but I bought a new carb and gaskets and it runs like a clock - just need a plane to put it in - any suggestions? Most of the other planes I have I use YS four strokes which are more powerful but there is something very cool about these little four strokes.

Thanks. John.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The fuel tank must be pretty much the same level as your needle valve or you going to have trouble getting it to run right.

I've used Saito 50's in several different 40 sized planes with good results.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
dirtrod

hey guys havent posted in a while but have been keeping up with everyone hope everyone has got some good projects for what we call hobby hut time this winter. in responce to the e-flite conversion i have done two e-flite cubs one has a saito 30gk mounted sideways the other is a os40 fs mounted inverted. the inverted one does seem to slightly load up on idle but otherwise runs good the side mounted 30gk runs and flys perfect and is the better combo in my opinion. you can check it out in my gallery. both have plenty of power but i am a saito guy so u know witch one i like better.
happy building and flying, Ty
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Ty

Any pics? Sounds interesting. Are you a club member yet?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
dirtrod

the only pics are on my gallery im club member 633 ill put some of both planes later this evening im working on the e-flite bever conversion with floats should be cool
Ty
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
dirtrod

im sorry for the wrong number im 622
Old 11-16-2011, 12:39 PM
w8ye

Air bleed type carb equipped engines do not work out as well inverted as they do vertically or horizontally.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air bleed type carb equipped engines do not work out as well inverted as they do vertically or horizontally.
I didn't know that. Learn something new everday.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:59 PM
dirtrod

I would agree, i also have a goldberg cub on floats it has a saito 72 mounted inverted
does seem to load up at idle also doesnt stall but u do have to clear it out sometimes or it mite after a few minutes
Old 11-16-2011, 01:15 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hummm. I do not remember having problems with engines mounted inverted before. I had done that on a number of occassions with engines.
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind when I do up another one sometime.
My Enya R1.20 engine has what looks like a air bleed carb on it and it works just fine inverted in my old biplane.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Sharpeye22

Not knowing some things sure does make live less worrysome. I had heard in the past that inverted engines do not run as well as upright ones. I have however always mounted my engines inverted after Iwas finished with my trainer. Every engine I have had (and Ihave gone through several brands) has done just fine inverted after tunning it properly. I have ot noticed but now that you tell me this I can reason that what you have said may well have been happening. None the less, it has not effected my engine reliablity.

So my stance is install andposition the fuel tank properly, and tune the engine properly to fly with confidence.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
dirtrod

I have had no problems except with slight idle loading issues i still mount them that way and have been for years they never run any different in the air for me and it seems to me mabey it effects the small ones more so than the bigger ones.
Ty
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
hsukaria

I have had inverted 2 and 4 stroke engines without any problems. I think the issue is engines with airbleed carbs mounted inverted.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any Saito engines inverted in a plane at this time. But...
My Enya R1.20 runs just fine upside down. It has a airbleed carb. But then I suppose some other engines with air bleed carbs might not do so well. But typically those other engines usually don't run well right side up either. My old OS Surpass .91 engine was running happily inverted in a Frenzy 100 plane for a long time, at least until I decided to electrify it instead. But I don't remember if the carb was a airbleed version or not. I think it still winds up being fuel tank location in relation to the engine is important for good operation. The 4 stroke engines typically have the glow plug off center and thus it doesn't flood out with oil like a 2 stroke engine does with the glow plug centered. So usually the 4 stroke engines tend to work pretty good inverted. It also tends to help get more oil into the valve train too. As the oil tends to migrate to the lowest point in the engine over time.So you need to pull off the valve cover every now and then and drain out the oil.

See a airbleed hole in the center of the carb on the R1.20 engine

My older early version 1.20Enya engine's air bleed carb works just fine too. I was running it inverted in a pattern plane years ago.
The engine outlasted the plane.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM
hsukaria

I have 4 different brands of 4-stroke engines, 2 mounted inverted, and 2 mounted sideways. I can't tell the difference. But I never had an airbleed engine mounted inverted. As earlwb mentioned, the location of the fuel tank makes a big difference. I suspect that sometimes when the engine gets mounted inverted, the carb location relative to the fuel tank is lower, causing flooding, loading at idle, and hydrolocking (and leaning out flying inverted?).
I have one 2-stroke mounted inverted, but never had any trouble with it. Excellent engine... Irvine. Oops, this is a Saito thread!! Well anyway, it is a 2-stroke, no competition to Saito.
But I don't have experience with airbleed carb engines mounted inverted. Maybe somebody with experience with OS LA engines might know.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
spaceworm

Would that apply also to the air-bleed carb on the Saito 120ABC? I understand it is not your average air-bleed carb. I will be installing it soon and am interested in whether it should or shouldn't be mounted inverted. Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard/Club Saito #635
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Most airbleeds are trims to compensate for differing nitro%s, prop loads, ambien temp etc. They have very little authority so would change very little when inverted.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
w8ye

One of the biggest factors with an inverted engine is tank height.

Another factor with an inverted engine and this bites you more often with a two stroke is that a glow plug mounted in the very center of the head tends to have glow fuel puddling in it.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 PM
mike109

G'day

I have two Saito 40a engines (the recent ones not the old ones). Both have air bleed carbys. One is mounted upright and the other is inverted in a small scale Tiger Moth. Both run perfectly. I also had another similar model, Cirrus Moth, which had an OS FS40 inverted. It also has an air bleed carby.

As someone has said, getting the tank height right is probably the big thing with these engines.

Mike in Oz

Old 11-17-2011, 02:16 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

I have had evry single saito but the 220 and 125. only had the 90 t for a multi cyl. all good engines but at 25 bucks + for a gallon of fuel i sold em off and went gas or electric. nice having clean planes now too.
I did really enjoy the saito's tho and will probably end up with another.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Mike, I didn't know the .40a came in an airbleed version, mine is a TN.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95807.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1687879  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.