Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like they both have issues with Premature Detonation and are seeing who's 220 is bigger...............
Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150

You're telling me that 95oz of gasoline itself has more lubrication properties than the additional 2oz of oil & will protect an engine better that is running 60° F hotter & more prone to detonation due to the lower octane?
No, all I said was gasoline has more oil in it than methanol does, so you can generally use less lube oil with gasoline. You asked, I answered.

As far as the detonation issue?

A gas engine will produce about 98% of peak HP @ 12.8:1 A/F ratio that it produces @ maximum 14:1 A/F ratio. Altough I don't know the exact A/F ratios for methanol, it will make the same peak RPM for a rather broad range of HSN setting suggesting a likewise scenerio. Methanol is also much higher in relative octane than gasoline so it is even less prone to detonation when set on the rich side of peak power.

Unlike CDI, W/GI, as soon as the engine leans out, the ignition timeing advances. W/GI there is a double whammy as far as detonation that doesn't exist for CDI.
Gee, you get long winded. All I said was that if you get it too lean it will detonate. How lean is affected by the atmospheric conditions to some extent; it effects flame front travel speed in the combustion chamber. Get it too lean & it's bang instead of burn.

CR
Old 02-10-2015, 02:53 PM
FNQFLYER

Lean engines. Any old fart that is from the round engine piston engined era can tell you all about that. Our DC6's had engine spak analysers fitted and the display was shown on the F/e's panel. This device was used on long distance fuel critical flights when you ran the engines as lean as possible without detonation. Engines are / were expensive in those days. I run 20% oil given as a minimum in all my 4 strokes never had a problem. I gather my FG engines can be critical with regards to oil content and type. I will follow the manufacturers recommendations as far as they go (supplemented byy the Horizon Hobbies data with regard to oil types) and work out what is best from there. Eye operation this Friday and reduced distance vision for some time afterwards means that the ARFs are coming out of the boxes to be assembled (I refuse to say built) Nemisis NXT with a new 56, Hanger 9 (I think) Fokker DV11 with an 82 and the ESM Storch with the FG20. Going to be interesting as all are N.I.B Servo stash and the R/x stash are copping a hiding as is the servo lead supply. Best part no more "what about all those models in boxes" comments. She doesn't know much about the real build kits yet though. Old fart did I ever tell you about the brown dog v black dog discussions I had with the poms when expatting in Malaysia?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

FN, are you getting your lens's replaced. I had that done in June and August, right then left, the improvement in vision is amazing. I go for my final follow up on the 25th of March. I have a new/old Saito .50 to finish breaking in. it's an older black and gold box one.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:16 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks guys, now my left eye is throbbing after reading of eye surgery. grrrr
Old 02-10-2015, 09:03 PM
BJ64

O/T, I know, but I've been thinking of going for that Laser Surgery thingy for a few years now, Hobbsy.

But I've always backed away from it - I've had one op that didn't turn out all that well, so I've shied away from having my eyes done in case something goes wrong. I figure that having to rely on reading/short range glasses (I'm developing long sightedness) is a better option than a botched 'procedure' and ending up with worse vision than I have now.

Was it laser surgery you had done on your eyes? And if so, are you happy with the results?

BJ
Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
It sounds to me like they both have issues with Premature Detonation and are seeing who's 220 is bigger...............
Aaaaghh,premature detonation,what a feeling,you are correct sir.Sr i laughed my head off at your reply,thankyou it was well written friend.Trev what's this gee gaw about brown and black dogs

I'd like to think lazer(sic)meant engines but no,they are discussing something as painfull as going to the dentist.Both overcharge you and you feel like killing them before you get there.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:47 AM
Hobbsy

I had intra ocular lens replacement in both eyes, so did my wife. It is painless and takes about 20 minutes, if you have cataracts you'll think of it a miracle. I am very happy with the results, the Dr. determines ahead of time the strength of new lens. He nailed both of mine spot on.
Pete, the 2.20 I had was quite tame, nice low idle, here is a shot, just for kicks of the weight difference between the Stock 2.20 muffler and the 2.20's TurboHeader.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 2.20 idle 004.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	669.8 KB
ID:	2072235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 2.20 stock muffler weight.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2072236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 2.20 TH weight.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	2072237  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 02-11-2015 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 02-11-2015, 07:40 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Aaaaghh,premature detonation,what a feeling,you are correct sir.Sr i laughed my head off at your reply,thankyou it was well written friend.Trev what's this gee gaw about brown and black dogs

I'd like to think lazer(sic)meant engines but no,they are discussing something as painfull as going to the dentist.Both overcharge you and you feel like killing them before you get there.
At least it's not a detatched retina operation. I went through that 9 years ago. It was a life-changing experience
Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Aaaaghh,premature detonation,what a feeling,you are correct sir.Sr i laughed my head off at your reply,thankyou it was well written friend.
The idea of a high compression CDI fired FA-220 running on glow fuel is intriquing. I would bet it would easily make 5HP W/loads of additional torque.

Not to mention the probable fuel savings.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 02-11-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 AM
skypup50

Default Mounting 60 twin... questions

I'm working on mounting my new saito 60 twin to a top flite elder 40. I'll be bolting it to a new firewall with bolts and blind nuts which will be secured to the original firewall with bolts and blind nuts also. The fuel nipple on the carb comes really close to the firewall. Should I just open up a larger than normal hole where the fuel tube passes through to prevent kinking? Should the centerline be considerd to be the needle valve as on single cylinder engines? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	765.1 KB
ID:	2072324   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2072325  
Old 02-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Hobbsy

Sky, I believe that if you loosen the nut holding the needle spring clip that the fuel inlet will rotate. The picture is rather small but you can see the inlet.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 02-11-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:58 AM
skypup50

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Sky, I believe that if you loosen the nut holding the needle spring clip that the fuel inlet will rotate.
I've been afraid to touch it. I just got it and this thing is like new Thanks for that tip. I sure don't want to start an air leak before I run it.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Hobbsy

It won't leak I've moved lots of them, just loosen the nut barely enough to move it, it looks that about 1/8th inch of rotation will do it.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 PM
skypup50

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM
slamn sammy

HUMMM! I posted this morning and had to go to town and now it's gone. Guess because l mentioned a Co.by name?? ANYWAY. I have been away for a bet and have not been on RCU. Sorry, Hope l was missed. My brother passed away and l have his airplane's. I will not have to buy any airplanes for a long time. I can not hardly get in my shop. Him and l liked to fly together when we can and now I (ALMOST) have two of everything and one is a large scale Chipmunk with a Satio 180 and can not afford to fly it. Need to pass the 180 own to a trade. l was thinking it was a Golden Knight, BUT, Its not. l know it's a low time motor. Brother got sick shortly after he got it. May have 10 +/- tanks of fuel on it. No crashes on the motor. Runs grate, will bite the !!!! out of you. Don't know what it's worth? Theres a Co. that l can not put out there that has a 26cc gas engines for $137.95. Like to trade the 180 for two of them or ? (Gas), If it's worth that munch?? If anyone would like to play (LET'S MAKE A DEAL) Holler Thank You All! I missed reading the Club Satio threads, sometimes it gives me a headache and sometimes it will help me go to sleep. LOL..... OldFart, Hope you have been behaving yourself. P.S. l set the valves on the 90 cold and the motor runs grate, Thanks Guy's, I enjoy reading all of you.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:21 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
It won't leak I've moved lots of them, just loosen the nut barely enough to move it, it looks that about 1/8th inch of rotation will do it.
I suspect you might also have the throttle arm impacting the firewall from looking at the picture? That is also adjustable if it needs it since that carb is so close to the firewall.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:22 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
HUMMM! I posted this morning and had to go to town and now it's gone. Guess because l mentioned a Co.by name?? ANYWAY. I have been away for a bet and have not been on RCU. Sorry, Hope l was missed. My brother passed away and l have his airplane's. I will not have to buy any airplanes for a long time. I can not hardly get in my shop. Him and l liked to fly together when we can and now I (ALMOST) have two of everything and one is a large scale Chipmunk with a Satio 180 and can not afford to fly it. Need to pass the 180 own to a trade. l was thinking it was a Golden Knight, BUT, Its not. l know it's a low time motor. Brother got sick shortly after he got it. May have 10 +/- tanks of fuel on it. No crashes on the motor. Runs grate, will bite the !!!! out of you. Don't know what it's worth? Theres a Co. that l can not put out there that has a 26cc gas engines for $137.95. Like to trade the 180 for two of them or ? (Gas), If it's worth that munch?? If anyone would like to play (LET'S MAKE A DEAL) Holler Thank You All! I missed reading the Club Satio threads, sometimes it gives me a headache and sometimes it will help me go to sleep. LOL..... OldFart, Hope you have been behaving yourself. P.S. l set the valves on the 90 cold and the motor runs grate, Thanks Guy's, I enjoy reading all of you.
Sammy, sorry about your brother. My condolences.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Sammy- it's good to see you around again and yes, some of the guys were saying they missed you.

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. The last time I saw mine was at my mothers funeral. I guess I'm getting in less trouble with him in Florida and me up here but it would be nice if he were closer. It sounds like you and yours had a good time out burning up glow fuel.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:35 PM
slamn sammy

Thank You Guy's and YES! We did use up some glow fuel. MAN,WAT A MESS! Thats why l went to gas, BUT l LOVE THE SMELL OF NITRO IN THE MORNINGS. I still have and fly my nitro planes, love the sound of a Satio. Stay in touch with your brother there (BLW), for one day he'll be gone and you'll wish you did. We had fun! Him and l liked to race, most guy's get mad if you get on there tail. Flying was 2nd nature to us and we where not happy if we where not wingtip to wingtip and funny, in 40yrs we never hit? Now, l did case him more then once when l was flying my helicopter and he keep'ed trying to knock me out of the sky and l don't mean his airplane! He could not grasp a copter. To many moving parts (DUMB THUMBS) BUT! Thanks I Will Miss Him Hope it worms up soon for you there (Hsukraria) l see it's hard up there. Will not be long. your on the down hill slide. It was it the 70's monday in Texas, my grass is DEAD here in Arkansas.. It's in the 50's and 60's BUT! It's coming this way! BURRRRRRR!!!! Thanks Again

Last edited by slamn sammy; 02-11-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:54 PM
BJ64

Sincere condolences on your loss, Sammy.

BJ
Old 02-12-2015, 05:38 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by BJ64
Sincere condolences on your loss, Sammy.

BJ
Thank You (BJ64) Where not going to get out alive and glad where not, it's hard enuff to make it to the can in the mornings now! LOL Anybody need a 180?
Old 02-12-2015, 12:48 PM
BJ64

Yep.

I heard something said at one of those 'motivational speeches': "Time is all we've got, and time is running out".

It's a bonus that you and your brother got along and enjoyed each other's company, and that you had the opportunity to do so.

Making the most of what one has got is a pretty go way to live life - probably why we all play with toy aeroplanes

BJ
Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 PM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by BJ64
Yep.

I heard something said at one of those 'motivational speeches': "Time is all we've got, and time is running out".

It's a bonus that you and your brother got along and enjoyed each other's company, and that you had the opportunity to do so.

Making the most of what one has got is a pretty go way to live life - probably why we all play with toy aeroplanes

BJ
For Sure. I'm a (Toy's Are Use Kid) And, Someone has to buy the glue, covering, fuel, etc..................
Old 02-12-2015, 03:02 PM
slamn sammy

How do you post photos here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.