Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another lithium polymer fire

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another lithium polymer fire

Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another lithium polymer fire

Packing my RV, getting ready to leave for ButtonWillow Spring Fling. I had a couple batteries on charge, so I'd be all charged up & ready to fly upon arrival. Left to go to the store, when I got back the black smoke was billowing out of the RV! This is what's left.

David S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rvfire1.jpg
Views:	2783
Size:	854.1 KB
ID:	1982011   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvfire2.jpg
Views:	2170
Size:	800.0 KB
ID:	1982012   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvfire3.jpg
Views:	2258
Size:	806.4 KB
ID:	1982013  
Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Dave!

Bummer man! I hope you and your models are ok!

If charging indoors try to use a little fire safe. More so to contain the fire so you can pick it up and throw it out side!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry to see that happen to you, David. I hope you are well insured.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:25 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to see that Dave-Do you know what happened-Charger malfunction or bad battery. Scott
Old 03-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry David!!!!!!

But the end result is that you should never leave any kind of Lipo batteries unattended while they are charging. No questions asked and if you do put them outside of the vehicle you left them in.

Not trying to be an ass about it but this is the users fault.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 AM
dubd

Dave, sorry to see this. I charge lipos in a BBQ put now and have switched to a123/LIFE batteries for receiver packs.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's awful David, sorry that happened to you and I thank you for the reminder to never get complacent charging these things. What happened? Charger didn't shut off?

Mike
Old 03-27-2014, 11:53 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
Dave!

Bummer man! I hope you and your models are ok!

If charging indoors try to use a little fire safe. More so to contain the fire so you can pick it up and throw it out side!

Hate to say it, but the fire safe's don't work. A little 800mah lipo pack destroyed a fire safe and almost burned my house down. The pack puffed, I put it in the fire safe, closed it, put it on the back porch of my garage… came down at 1am to the smell of smoke, whole side of house was charred. fire safe was almost gone. Everyone talks about a fire safe, thinking it will work…I unfortunately tested it.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM
raptureboy

WOW! I give you this, your humble enough to admit your mistake in public. I have been tempted many times to walk away and leave unattended charging batteries but when I saw one go up at the field just sitting on the tailgate of a guys truck after charging and now this, never again will I trust a charger no matter what. A very hard lesson to learn indeed, very sorry for your loss and glad no one was hurt.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM
raptureboy

Fire safes are only rated for so much burn time and these things burn with all the heat of a plasma cutter.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 PM
SushiHunter

That totally blows, but don't you know never Never NEVER!!! leave these batteries charging unattended! At least no lives were lost which is what really matters overall.

I have charged my batteries on the stove if ever I had to do it inside the house. I've talked to guys who have charged their batteries while they are inside of a bbq with the lid on. Not sure where that rates but that's what I've heard some guys say who didn't really have a very fireproof area to do this.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 03-27-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Hate to say it, but the fire safe's don't work. A little 800mah lipo pack destroyed a fire safe and almost burned my house down. The pack puffed, I put it in the fire safe, closed it, put it on the back porch of my garage… came down at 1am to the smell of smoke, whole side of house was charred. fire safe was almost gone. Everyone talks about a fire safe, thinking it will work…I unfortunately tested it.
No! No! No!

I don't want to hear that!!!

I use a fire safe to charge and don't leave it unattended. A fire safe, I hope, would give me enough time to pick up the safe with the burning lipo and run to the middle of the street and let it burn there. Yikes.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM
David Gladwin

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

How many times do you guys have to be told :

NEVER, EVER, CHARGE A LITHIUM BATTERY UNATTENDED !!

AND ALWAYS ASSUME IT WILL CATCH FIRE !!!!!!!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/fi...ies-55214.html
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
Sorry David!!!!!!

But the end result is that you should never leave any kind of Lipo batteries unattended while they are charging. No questions asked and if you do put them outside of the vehicle you left them in.

Not trying to be an ass about it but this is the users fault.
For not trying, you've done an excellent job. Must come naturally to you!

#1 I unplugged the battery just prior to leaving for the store, so they weren't left unattended while charging. Your ASSumption is incorrect. The failure had apparently already started prior to me unplugging it and continued to conclusion in my absence.

#2 I never claimed it was anything else other than my fault. But thanks for your statement of blame, we can all rest easy now.

Scotty,

I assume the battery was bad, as I had unplugged the final battery from the charger before leaving. It apparently went nova at some point after I left.

Raptureboy,

Yes I admitted my mistake in public, now comes my public flogging by those who love restating the obvious. Thanks for your concern.

If there is anything to be learned here, IMO, it is that there is apparently a period after charging that these things can still explode. When I unplugged the final battery I assumed I was safe. NOT SO!

David S

Last edited by David Searles; 03-27-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Paul0088

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need this for charging, not a document safe, they protect papers from fire outside the case not for fire inside the case..

http://www.graupner.de/en/products/c...tcategory.aspx
Old 03-27-2014, 01:00 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Sorry to see this happen to you David. Even scarier that you disconnected everything before you went out.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:11 PM
gapellegrini

Originally Posted by David Searles
Packing my RV, getting ready to leave for ButtonWillow Spring Fling. I had a couple batteries on charge, so I'd be all charged up & ready to fly upon arrival. Left to go to the store, when I got back the black smoke was billowing out of the RV! This is what's left.

David S

David,

It was battery used to run EDF or lipo battery for turbine or rx?

Best,

Gabriel
Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Scotty,

I assume the battery was bad, as I had unplugged the final battery from the charger before leaving. It apparently went nova at some point after I left.

I have heard of them sitting on the shelf for months and then just going off-The things really are unpredictable. S
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Originally Posted by David Searles
For not trying, you've done an excellent job. Must come naturally to you!

#1 I unplugged the battery just prior to leaving for the store, so they weren't left unattended while charging. Your ASSumption is incorrect. The failure had apparently already started prior to me unplugging it and continued to conclusion in my absence.

#2 I never claimed it was anything else other than my fault. But thanks for your statement of blame, we can all rest easy now.

Scotty,

Raptureboy,

Yes I admitted my mistake in public, now comes my public flogging by those who love restating the obvious. Thanks for your concern.

If there is anything to be learned here, IMO, it is that there is apparently a period after charging that these things can still explode. When I unplugged the final battery I assumed I was safe. NOT SO!

David S
David thanks for telling the whole story. It lets all of us know that these batteries will go off at any time. I store all my lipos in a ammo can, and charge in a fire proof bag. Now I am wondering if this is safe.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Glad you are ok Dave!!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh Big D, I am so sorry to see this happen to such a good person. I hope you can recover quickly from this.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 PM
ChicoFlyer

Sorry to see this happen, especially right before leaving for a fun filled weekend of flying! Are you still planning on making the trip up for the Spring Fling? I am looking forward to meeting some more RC Jet veterans and getting as much information as possible from them as I am just starting out in jets.

If I may ask David, when you unplugged your battery from your charger before going to the store, did you notice anything in particular to the status of the battery? (Warm, puffed, etc.) Any idea how old the battery was? Size and capacity of the batter along with C rating? I am just curious.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:25 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

David thanks very much for posting this. I am very sorry about your loss, I am glad no one was hurt.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,
I'm so sorry this happened. I wish you the best.

A story from this past weekend:
We were at the flying field this past weekend and had to pack up quickly due to rain. Apparently, I left 3 4s2650 packs on the inside shelf of my trailer and did not secure them before leaving. When I got home and opened the back door of my trailer a huge smoke cloud billowed out. One of the 4s packs fell off the shelf and ruptured two of the cells on the floor. Fortunately, there was no fire or I would have lost a small DF jet, a 2.6m Yak and an EF Extra. All I have is a small burn mark on the floor and a hurt ego. On most days there is a turbine back there too. Man, I should have known better. I'm so lucky on this one.
Paul
Old 03-27-2014, 02:43 PM
whaledriver
My Feedback: (154)

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the heads up. Scary stuff. The good news....NEW RV!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.