Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

UAT not staying full..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

UAT not staying full..

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:52 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: UAT not staying full..

ORIGINAL: John Casey

Do you have any check valves installed........
anywhere..... which would allow the tanks to fill but not vent?
Hello,

How would these check valves work? Always interested in learning something.

TIA

Old 12-22-2006, 01:51 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Ian, even I know this one, fuel "DOTS", Get them from Sheldon's they are from Grate planes at .95 from tower hobbies, two per pack, the fit and remove very nicely, used them for many years by now, never had a single leak, have one in the Kangaroo, the Viperjet and soon in the Hawk.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Flying Arrow
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use them too with great success. Mine also from TowerHobbies , they come in different sizes though.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:49 PM
lugebob

I got mine from Jersey Modeler, but I don't see it on their site anymore. It is basically a Fuel Dot that screws into a surface mount, so I do not have to open the hood to re-fill.

see picts. The red part is the surface mount. The filler tubing slides through it. The black part is the screw on cap/fuel dot. I like it for the Jet Luge.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92628.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	582699  
Old 12-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

FWIW, those using fuel dots and Jersey Modelers might check the diameter of the fuel dot and the fueling barb. The BVM fuel dot in my Bobcat was about .015 to .020 inches less than the diameter of the fueling barb on my Jersey Modeler. Can cause a problem on a cold day when the fill line is less flexible. I have replaced the fueling barb with a short piece of 4mm tubing.

Edit: the comment above is general in nature and not directed specifically to Moe142's problem.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:52 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

In the UAT instructions, the fill is hooked to the left nipple, while the line from the main is hooked to the right. is this critical? Could the lines be switched, causing the problem?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Not critical or important. Both brass nipples go right to the top of the tank. The nipples are not hooked up to anything on the inside of the tank.
The nipple that goes to the header tank is a suction line, which keeps the UAT full by drawing fuel from the header and mains.

Make sure you don't allow any air leaks at the hose connections at any of the three lines. Also, check the screw on cap for security occasionally. Any air leak at the UAT will prevent fuel flow into the UAT.

I would suspect that you have an air leak at the cap or at one of the UAT connections. If the cap is leaking, reseal it with teflon pipe thread tape.

I sometimes install a Festo 6mm ball valve on the end of my filler line, or use a Festo one way check valve in place of the aluminum plug supplied with the UAT.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Moe142

Got it fixed! Thanks everyone! (my problem was that I did NOT have enough fuel in the main tank)!! DUH
Mario
Old 12-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Jerry K
My Feedback: (1)

33 posts to find out the tank was not full

Sorry 32
Old 12-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Moe142

Watch it now....
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Harley,

If you put a check valve in your fill line such that you can pump fuel into the system, then it can also pull in air unless you do some thing else to plug the line. Most check valves do require some pressure before they open, but I have a freind that tried this, and it worked for a while, but later on it started pulling air and he had a flame out.

Steven

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Not critical or important. Both brass nipples go right to the top of the tank. The nipples are not hooked up to anything on the inside of the tank.
The nipple that goes to the header tank is a suction line, which keeps the UAT full by drawing fuel from the header and mains.

Make sure you don't allow any air leaks at the hose connections at any of the three lines. Also, check the screw on cap for security occasionally. Any air leak at the UAT will prevent fuel flow into the UAT.

I would suspect that you have an air leak at the cap or at one of the UAT connections. If the cap is leaking, reseal it with teflon pipe thread tape.

I sometimes install a Festo 6mm ball valve on the end of my filler line, or use a Festo one way check valve in place of the aluminum plug supplied with the UAT.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 AM
CARS II

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

And still not a single picture......mmmmmm?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:24 PM
hoppy99
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: CARS II

And still not a single picture......mmmmmm?
CARS ll,
Maybe Jake has a Boomerang......................................... ........
Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Name:	Tr49818.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	586833  
Old 12-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

The main tank not being full would not be the problem, unless you are pulling from the vent. Better check it again. The fuel level in the main tank should not matter. The uat should be full untill you run the main dry, or close to dry. Pics would be a help.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:06 PM
F-22-Raptor

CONCLUSION:

If this is the most safe gadget; why 33+ threads for it? Fill the tanks, go flyin, stop the time, check how much fuel is left, be happy. Keep it simple.........

Every additional part is a part more that can fail and proof me if I am wrong, the thread talks books!
Old 12-30-2006, 09:36 PM
Jerry K
My Feedback: (1)

Randy

The fuel level in the main tank DOES matter!!! When you are out of fuel YOU ARE OUT OF FUEL He stated there was 1-2 ounces of fuel left in a 50 ounce tank. I do not think there is a problem if you can use 96-98% of the available fuel load!!! Give us pic's

Just having fun

Jerry
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Buzz Kill
My Feedback: (220)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am absolutly pulling my hair out with a UAT problem. My first 3 flights on my new lightning have all ended in dead sticks. I am using a Artes Rhino, 2 Comp arf tanks, and a BVM UAT. I am getting air pulled into the UAT which eventually unprimes the fuel pump and the turbine quits. I have done everything imaginable to fix this problem. I have double safety wired every connection, replace all fuel lines, and I still get Air bubbles. I have tried 4 UAT tanks and still get the same problem. I have even extensively tested each UAT by taking it out hooking the fuel pump side to my Jersey fueler, dropped a new line straight into the jersey tank completely submerged, safety wired all connections, pull from the UAT, and I still get small air bubbles in the UAT. I am completely out of ideas on how to solve this Frustrating problem. Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Thanks,
Buzz
Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe you can install a hopper tank around 16oz size and have the two carf tanks feed the hopper and then into the UAT. You can also do away with the uat and make up a 4 or 6oz tank and have the pick up in the 3 dimentional center of the tank and try that.

V..
Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I am absolutly pulling my hair out with a UAT problem. My first 3 flights on my new lightning have all ended in dead sticks. I am using a Artes Rhino, 2 Comp arf tanks, and a BVM UAT. I am getting air pulled into the UAT which eventually unprimes the fuel pump and the turbine quits. I have done everything imaginable to fix this problem. I have double safety wired every connection, replace all fuel lines, and I still get Air bubbles. I have tried 4 UAT tanks and still get the same problem. I have even extensively tested each UAT by taking it out hooking the fuel pump side to my Jersey fueler, dropped a new line straight into the jersey tank completely submerged, safety wired all connections, pull from the UAT, and I still get small air bubbles in the UAT. I am completely out of ideas on how to solve this Frustrating problem. Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Thanks,
Buzz

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7914946/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7798607/tm.htm

Check these two threads out. Seems restriction by the filter/clunk is the culprit. - John.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Frank Sopwith

Default RE: Ran out of fuel...

ORIGINAL: F-22-Raptor
No major and important Turbine manufacturer in europe, ( and important means the ones who sell quantities and are not only cary their Turbines to test events)
are recommending the UAT. I never have seen in any manual the hint to use a UAT (Nor AMT, Jetcat, Graupner, Wren). Reason for that?
The point with this (and any) forum is that everyone can claim anything they want,
reading what is quoted above I just had to react, just can't stand it when something is just not true!

Being the proud owner of two AMT Mercury's I took the following picture from the AMT Netherlands manual:

Bennie specificly recommends the use of UAT! (Reason for that?)
Needless to say that 'in europe' the UAT is also common, actually I don't know any fellow jetpilot who is NOT using one,

Frank
Old 09-08-2008, 02:14 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No major and important Turbine manufacturer in europe, ( and important means the ones who sell quantities and are not only cary their Turbines to test events)
are recommending the UAT. I never have seen in any manual the hint to use a UAT (Nor AMT, Jetcat, Graupner, Wren). Reason for that?

The information above is incorrect. JetCat specifically recommends using a UAT on page 11 of their manual (see image below).

Regards,

Name:	Ca80504.gif
Views:	29
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1029018  
Old 09-08-2008, 02:47 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

The information above is incorrect. JetCat specifically recommends using a UAT on page 11 of their manual (see image below).

Regards,

So does Jet Central. Where did this guy get his info?? lol.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:50 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know if the recommendations were in the manuals then, but those posts are almost two years old.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That answers that question. I didn't even look at how old those posts were.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.