RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Another Skymaster Viper (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8718743-another-skymaster-viper.html)

hpais 10-24-2009 05:38 PM

RE: Another Skymaster Viper

MIA: the EVSD-5U-PRO-ST - Solved!!!

They weren't inside the coffin with the ViperJet:eek:

They were coming on a separate envelope, being shipped directly by AirPower in Taiwan to me. Arrived this afternoon:D:D:D

On to the build. I will post pictures. One thing I was looking in the hardware bag, they sent several L aluminum servo mounts, I suspect some will be used on the stabs and rudders. The rudder by the way, already comes with two heavy duty carbon rods. I haven't looked at the rudder hinge attachment area to see if it was reinforced, though.

The aluminum wing tube is no longer a simple tube, it's an extruded cilindrical aluminum profile, with internal reinforcements, lightweight yet heavy duty.

And also, there's this additional tank that looks like an air tank, but it's for pressurizing the struts and tires, or so I've been told. Also a syringe and silicon oil for lubricating the o-rings was included. Very nice touch!

The DVD has a manual that appears to be newer than the version I had downloaded from the site. I had this hapen to my BVM Bandit ARF as well - the manual shipped is way more complete than the on-line version. Two videos on the DVD - one from JetPower 09, with Ali flying it absurdly slow, and another older video from what looks like the first prototypes.

DENTO 10-25-2009 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: cgroen

Got the cockpits adjusted so they fit.
I will make the front one ''semi permanent'', and the aft will be removed for filling fuel/air and charging.
I removed the two pins in the canopy, they were HUGE, and they got in the way for the front tub, I made two new pins at the edge of the canopy instead.
Just need to make a cover for the front, the one that follows the kit is way too short, so will make a new one of some wood instead....

BTW, I removed the brace in the front of the canopy, I added some epoxy around the inside of the curve in the front to make it more stiff.
I also removed some of the brace in the back, it is very wide from the factory, no need for that (and it looks ugly :D)
And no, it is not cyano fog or epoxy fingers, it's just dust on the glass ;)
G DAY CARSTEN
If you go back to page 5 half way down you will see what I have done
REGARDS

Jim Cattanach 10-25-2009 10:13 AM

Myself & a friend here in Cyprus recently bought Vipers. I am waiting for a new turbine for mine, so he finished his first & was due to maiden it this morning. I arrived at the field to find him sorting through the remains of his Viper[:o]. He said it was flying well, but when he turned from the downwind leg to a landing, it dropped a wing, turned on its back & went in from about fifty feet altitude. He said it was not flying that slowly & could not understand why it would do that. He is an experienced jet pilot. All the major servos were working ok. Weather conditions were excellent. I can only assume he did not have enough airspeed & it stalled. The Viper seems to be capable of very slow flight without a problem.
Anyone else had problems on landing?

Carsten Groen 10-25-2009 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gday Dento ;)

Yes, I did kind of what you did:

Stig Andersen 10-25-2009 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted my VJ this weekend. I'm not all done yet, but I'm getting there.

Matt Chapman 10-25-2009 08:11 PM

Another Viper takes it's first flight today!
What a day. I did the maiden flight on my Viper today. It went really well. I used the factory control throws and added a few degrees. Too much for low rates. The CG was balanced to the aft limit, so I may also have been on the tail heavy side... the faster the plane flew the more it wanted to pitch up. I'm going to do a new CG balance to the forward limit and fly it that way until I'm all trimmed out and comfortable. The down elevator trim had the trailing edge of the elevators down about 3/16 of an inch from neutral. The roll trim required was due to the right flap being a fraction "high' in the up position. Easy stuff to fix.
The plane is a floater. Good landing, just long waiting for it to slow down.
No second flight as it was getting late in the day and I wanted to make the changes before next flight. P-160, 8 1/2 minute flight at 1/2 throttle most of the time and we landed with 2/3 of a tank in the lower tank.
One issue im still wondering about: Using Futaba 2.4 and the Air Power EVSD-5U-PRO-ST . When i turn the radio on the first time, the gear cycles up, then down once. Shut the radio off after that an turn it back on... it works ok. More anoying than anything, but any thoughts?
Now that first flight is behind me... now I get to learn the jet for real. I'll get some pix posted and keep you all up to date with my experiance.
Thank to Dave & Pete M. here in PA for all the help and test flight with my first jet. (and based on today... not my last)

More to come!

Matt Chapman

f106jax 10-25-2009 08:35 PM

Congrats Matt! Keep us posted on your progress.

muzzgail 10-26-2009 03:23 AM

A quick question: How much fuel does the VJ hold?

Jim Cattanach 10-26-2009 03:30 AM

ORIGINAL: muzzgail

A quick question: How much fuel does the VJ hold?
The two tanks hold 4.2 litres.

Jim Cattanach 10-26-2009 03:31 AM

Double post.

EDFCrazy 10-26-2009 05:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt Chapman

One issue im still wondering about: Using Futaba 2.4 and the Air Power EVSD-5U-PRO-ST . When i turn the radio on the first time, the gear cycles up, then down once. Shut the radio off after that an turn it back on... it works ok. More anoying than anything, but any thoughts?
Matt Chapman

i think your problem is that the receiver was binded with the gear switch in the up position, Rebind your receiver with the gear switch down.
basically your failsafe is set for gear up and when you switch the system on it momentarily goes into failsafe and that will make the gear go up. i hope this helps, this is what i did when my gear was doing the same.

schroedm 10-26-2009 05:10 AM

Stig,

Nice mate - like it ;)

Stig Andersen 10-26-2009 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Stig,

Nice mate - like it ;)
Thanks Mark.

I was very inspired by this photo. ;) Also, I have not seen a ViperJet in the Swiss scheme yet.

schroedm 10-26-2009 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm surprised you could even notice a plane in the pic!

I do feel compelled to tell you there is a Skygate Viperjet in swiss colours in Switzerland of all places :D :D

Looks better with the anti-glare black I think.

After your efforts, I reckon you'll now see a LOT more Swiss scheme Viperjets!

Duncan 10-26-2009 10:45 AM

nice pic of the hawk, but i wonder what it really means by "Ready Box" :D

SinCityJets 10-26-2009 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Stig Andersen

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Stig,

Nice mate - like it ;)
Thanks Mark.

I was very inspired by this photo. ;) Also, I have not seen a ViperJet in the Swiss scheme yet.
Very Inspirational!

Bob_B 10-26-2009 11:39 AM

He is using FASST, Failsafe and Hold settings are done in the F/S, Hold Menu in the TX.

i think your problem is that the receiver was binded with the gear switch in the up position, Rebind your receiver with the gear switch down.
basically your failsafe is set for gear up and when you switch the system on it momentarily goes into failsafe and that will make the gear go up. i hope this helps, this is what i did when my gear was doing the same.
[/quote]

heraldoboldrin 10-26-2009 05:07 PM

I am inspired for the girl...

muzzgail 10-27-2009 11:28 PM

Can someone give me an accurate measurement of the VJ's absolute height off of the ground with wheels down. Top of the rudder I guess is the highest point. I am fitting out my van with a shelf and want to make sure the VJ will clear it underneath.

thanks.

NightSwan 10-28-2009 09:05 AM

Me happy! :)

http://sandbox.flexlogic.nl/mbpics/v...0886-scale.JPG

Now all I have to do is finish it ;)

( oh yeah, and clean up the room :eek: )

Carsten Groen 10-28-2009 09:13 AM

What a mess Hans :D
Congratulations, it looks very nice!
(oh, and the Rookie you have on the table looks very nice too, hope Barbie is well :))

digitech 10-28-2009 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my first house allways looked like that...

infact we used to have great LAN party,s
remember those are the single life , ordering stuff.
not much cleaning to do since we lived alone :D:D.
all under control!!![:-][:-]:eek:

Ali 10-28-2009 09:27 AM

Hans, Thanks for your patience. Nw scrape that rookie into the bin and put the viper on the table [>:]
Regards Al

Selleri 10-28-2009 10:36 AM

Congrats Hans.

Now I'm getting pretty excited to get mine in that scheme! :D

muzzgail 10-28-2009 06:35 PM

Can someone give me an accurate measurement of the VJ's absolute height off of the ground with wheels down. Top of the rudder I guess is the highest point. I am fitting out my van with a shelf and want to make sure the VJ will clear it underneath.

thanks.