Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I actually helped work on a "Whale" back in 1984 while on the Kitty Hawk. That damn thing was BIG, compared to the Prowlers I worked on normally. Just a little trivial, the EB-66 was the plane shot down in the true story and movie BAT-21. It is not the plane I'm looking for as it had a crew of between six and eight, rather than the two as stated in clue 8. Time for another pair of clues:
Looking for an aircraft:
1) This plane was deadly to it's targets but never fired a shot in anger through several conflicts
2) This plane was originally created as a modification of another plane
3) This plane was modified to take on a task other aircraft, both larger and smaller, had been used for in combat previously
4) This plane had two minor changes that were visible from the outside, the rest were internal system changes
5) This plane was initially configured to carry a couple of missiles. They were found to be unneeded and the ability was removed within the first few years of service
6) This plane was finally phased out of service after 27 years and a full 20 years after it's more capable and advanced replacement was brought into service
7) This plane's basic weapons system was used in a total of four different types aircraft, to date, and is still in use today
8) This plane had a crew of two
9) While this plane was still able to do the job it was originally designed to do, it was never used in that role
10) This plane had two engines
11) This plane was only used by the military of one country
12) This plane only saw action in one conflict and it wasn't a world war
13) This plane 's role was considered to be offensive, not defensive like the Tracer
14) This plane went into service prior to Elmshoot's EKA-3/EB-66 and was in service longer
15) The plane that was modified into this plane lasted only four years longer than its modified sibling
Good Luck
Old 07-23-2017, 12:22 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How 'bout the Grumman A-6 Intruder...or maybe the EA-6 Prowler variant
Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Hydro Junkie

Proptop, I think I'm going to give it to you since your two planes sandwiched my plane in question. I was actually looking for the EA-6A "Electric" Intruder.
Time to go over the clues:
1) This plane was deadly to it's targets but never fired a shot in anger through several conflicts This plane's targets were SAM and RADAR sites, which were detected and knocked out by the on board weapons system(sorry, how it works is still classified since it's still in use)
2) This plane was originally created as a modification of another plane This plane was based on the A2F-1 Intruder heavy bomber. The designation was changed to A-6A in 1962
3) This plane was modified to take on a task other aircraft, both larger and smaller, had been used for in combat previously The "Electric Intruder took over the role of "Wild Weasel" from the F-4,F-5 and EA-3/EB-66. Several other planes were tasked with the roll as well but the EA-6A was the most capable
4) This plane had two minor changes that were visible from the outside, the rest were internal system changes The EA-6A was lengthened slightly in the nose and had the top of the vertical fin enlarged(again, this is classified stuff regarding why)
5) This plane was initially configured to carry a couple of missiles. They were found to be unneeded and the ability was removed within the first few years of service The wings of the EA-6A had two weapon pylons located on the outer wing panels. These were used to carry an early version anti-radar missile based on the Sparrow and AGM-45 Shrikeanti-radiation missile. These pylons were removed when the missile capability was deleted
6) This plane was finally phased out of service after 27 years and a full 20 years after it's more capable and advanced replacement was brought into service The EA-6A was relegated to a reserve and training roll with the US Marines in 1974 but continued to fly into the 1990s after being replaced by the EA-6B Prowler in 1970
7) This plane's basic weapons system was used in a total of four different types aircraft, to date, and is still in use today The basic weapon system used in the EA-6A was also used in the EA-6B, EF-111 Raven and is presently used in the EF-18G Growler.
8) This plane had a crew of two The pilot and ECMO/Navigator/Bombardier sat side by side in the cockpit under a rearward sliding canopy
9) While this plane was still able to do the job it was originally designed to do, it was never used in that role The EA-6A was still capable of dropping bombs and even had an attack radar to facilitate this, though it was never used to do so
10) This plane had two engines The semi-standard engine of the 1950 and 60s was used, the J-52 turbojet
11) This plane was only used by the military of one country Only the US had this plane and it's successor, the Prowler
12) This plane only saw action in one conflict and it wasn't a world war This plane didn't see combat again after pulling out of Viet Nam in 1973
13) This plane 's role was considered to be offensive, not defensive like the Tracer The Tracer was an early warning radar aircraft in the line of the Navy's E-2 Hawkeye and and Air Force's E-3 AWACS aircraft
14) This plane went into service prior to Elmshoot's EKA-3/EB-66 and was in service longer The EA-6A went into service in 1963 while the EB-66 didn't go into service until 1965. Most of the EB-66s were destroyed or grounded by lack of parts. The EB-66 was withdrawn from service shortly after leaving Viet Nam while the EA-6A continued to fly into the 90s
15) The plane that was modified into this plane lasted only four years longer than its modified sibling The A-6E was phased out of service in 1994, in favor of the LANTIRN equipped F-14D "Bombcat" and FA-18 Hornet. The few remaining "Electric Intruders" were phased out starting in 1990 while the Prowler flew combat missions for another 20 years before being replaced
PROPTOP, YOU'RE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-23-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM
proptop

Hey H-J...O.K....

Did you work on those aircraft? Not sure IIRC but just wondering if you were in the USN.....were on a Carrier???
(or is my memory, once again, just messin' with me?)

I will have something up by tomorrow afternoon...
Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

I worked on the four seat Prowler from February 1983 through December 1985, not the two seat "Electric Intruder". We did have a squadron of EA-6As operated by Marine reservists at NAS Whidbey Island when I was there, the VMAQ-4 Seahawks. During the phasing out of the Intruders, started in 1990, the Marines were re-equipped with Prowlers and converted to an active duty squadron. The "Whale" I helped with was attached to Guam based VQ-2. It, just like the Prowler, is highly classified on what it did and how it did it so, consequently, I can't say anything more about it. I can say it was an impressive plane to look at as it was larger than anything else on the flight deck, with maybe the exception of maybe the VAW-116 E-2 Hawkeyes
I've included a picture of one of the Seahawk's planes below. Gotta love that logo on the tail
Below is a Prowler I actually worked on, several years before I actually touched in this case
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Grumman_EA-6B_158542_Nimitz_05.09.75_edited-3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	677.4 KB
ID:	2225408  

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-23-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a Navy Vet (Airdale - P-3's) and once flew into Whidbey Island, landing at night. On the ramp, they were prepping a Prowler and the plane had about 4+ marine guards with mean looking rifles guarding the plane. I noticed some illuminated stripes running down the side of the Fuselage. Can you tell me what those were for, or would you get shot for telling me?

The rumor that we'd heard was that that electronics pod on the fin could electronically shut down the state of California. An exageration, I'm sure. Or was it????

Did they all have that gold-plated plexiglass in their canopy?

Bob
Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 AM
proptop

Cool! Something just sort of "clicked" in my head...I think you might have mentioned something about the Prowler and / or Invader IIRC in the AMA forum...during the discussion of the possible effects the ingestion of a "Drone" (quad, hex, octa copter) might have on a Jet engine...there were a few others (not you) that didn't seem to think that it would cause serious damage...!? (but that's another story)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 AM
proptop

My turn...lets start with an aircraft from my favorite period..."Between the Wars" ...

1) Single engine

2) Mixed construction...Wood and Metal

3) Fighter...but some were used as Advanced Trainers in their later years of service

4) Vast majority were single seat, but some had a 2nd seat added in their later years
Old 07-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by N1EDM
I'm a Navy Vet (Airdale - P-3's) and once flew into Whidbey Island, landing at night. On the ramp, they were prepping a Prowler and the plane had about 4+ marine guards with mean looking rifles guarding the plane. I noticed some illuminated stripes running down the side of the Fuselage. Can you tell me what those were for, or would you get shot for telling me? Those were exactly what they looked like, running lights. When flying in formation or over civilian areas, the planes need to be visible. Depending on when the plane was built, the side lights could be no bigger than a side marker on your car or the big light unit you saw, If you look at the second picture I posted closely, you can see a small side light between the top and right points of the star in the insignia aft of the wing

The rumor that we'd heard was that that electronics pod on the fin could electronically shut down the state of California. An exageration, I'm sure. Or was it???? Rumor has it that one Prowler accidentally shut down every airport from Vancouver BC to Seattle -Tacoma International Airport. In this case, I can't confirm or deny the rumor but, maybe.........................

Did they all have that gold-plated plexiglass in their canopy? Yes, it was lined with 24 carat gold. The coating was so thin that it was easily damaged and, if damaged, the plane was downed until it was repaired.

Bob
How long ago was it that you flew into Whidbey Island? I've never seen a Prowler guarded like that but I have seen loaded A-6E Intruders with armed guards under specific conditions that I can't go into

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-24-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by proptop
My turn...lets start with an aircraft from my favorite period..."Between the Wars" ...

1) Single engine

3) Fighter...but some were used as Advanced Trainers in their later years of service

4) Vast majority were single seat, but some had a 2nd seat added in their later years
How about the P-26
Old 07-24-2017, 06:55 PM
proptop

Not the Pea Shooter...

1) Single engine

5) Sesquiplane...and the center section of the 3 piece upper wing was Duralumin and outer panels of Wood

6) All were Radial engine powered (prototype and some of the early production were powered by a Bristol Jupiter)

Last edited by proptop; 07-24-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hydro, I suppose it could have been an Intruder. We're talking back into the 80's. I don't want to hijack the thread... Whichever it was, it was a pretty airplane.

Bob
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 AM
proptop

1) Single engine

5) Sesquiplane...and the center section of the 3 piece upper wing was Duralumin and outer panels of Wood

6) All were Radial engine powered (prototype and some of the early production were powered by a Bristol Jupiter)

7) Prototype completed 10 years, to the day, before the German invasion of Poland

8) By the time the war started, it was no longer a front line Fighter, but was still used as an Advanced Trainer......
and some were modified for Ground Attack use
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 AM
proptop

One more clue...for now...

1) Single engine

7) Prototype completed 10 years, to the day, before the German invasion of Poland

8) By the time the war started, it was no longer a front line Fighter, but was still used as an Advanced Trainer......

9) A few were used for a very special purpose...like Ticks on a Dogs back...
Old 07-25-2017, 05:46 PM
proptop

1) Single engine

10) Used by this country of origins Air Force and Navy...

11) The designers (3 of them initially) might not have been well known names at that time, but today, we enthusiasts would easily recognize their names.

12) one of the designers had to leave the project because of certain "difficulties" and another had other commitments...(other aircraft designs took priority)

Last edited by proptop; 07-25-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 AM
proptop

1) Single engine

11) The designers (3 of them initially) might not have been well known names at that time, but today, we enthusiasts would easily recognize their names.

12) one of the designers had to leave the project because of certain "difficulties" and another had other commitments...(other aircraft designs took priority)

13) These aircraft were pulled from training units, upon the country of origins entry to WW2, and used for ground attack and night bombers

14) Initial armament was 2x 7.62mm machine guns, but the ground attack versions had 2 more of the same added...

15) This aircraft was also involved in some of their first dive bombing tests
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 PM
proptop

Wow...don't all ya'll beat the door down here with your eager replies...
Maybe everyone is out flying or doing something else more stimulating...?

1) Single engine

13) These aircraft were pulled from training units, upon the country of origins entry to WW2, and used for ground attack and night bombers

14) Initial armament was 2x 7.62mm machine guns, but the ground attack versions had 2 more of the same added...

16) The country of origin has been in all the papers, and on the tongues of all the newscasters lately...

Last edited by proptop; 07-27-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:19 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe everyone is out flying or doing something else more stimulating...?
Not me; too windy today. That last clue makes it easy, I think, but I'm going to hold off for a while and give others a shot. It's not that I knew anything about it, just brute force googling.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Hydro Junkie

I've stayed away since I'm not going to be able to spend the time to run a quiz for a while due to other commitments. I have some ideas but that's as far as I'm going to take this one
Old 07-28-2017, 09:50 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry off to Shanghai and other points West or East. No clue here.
Sparky
Old 07-28-2017, 03:02 PM
proptop

Thanks "Comrades"...just joking...but I was beginning to think I heard Crickets chirping...
Gonna add a clue or two here to try and help (or maybe clarify?) some of the previous clues...

1) Single engine

16) The country of origin has been in all the papers, and on the tongues of all the newscasters lately...

17) The aircraft in question shares something with the Bristol Scout, Sopwith Camel, Sperry Messinger, and a few others, including the Republic F-84
Old 07-30-2017, 10:22 AM
proptop

After some more digging...research...I have a bit more info
BTW, I wonder where Ernie is? You o.k. Ernie...off on a trip somewhere???

1) Single engine

17) The aircraft in question shares something with the Bristol Scout, Sopwith Camel, Sperry Messinger, and a few others, including the Republic F-84

18) As mentioned, at least one aircraft was used for this countries first experiments at Dive Bombing...and another test was to evaluate air launched unguided rockets
Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by proptop
After some more digging...research...I have a bit more info
BTW, I wonder where Ernie is? You o.k. Ernie...off on a trip somewhere???

1) Single engine

18) As mentioned, at least one aircraft was used for this countries first experiments at Dive Bombing...and another test was to evaluate air launched unguided rockets
Sir; I'm here. But, I have just returned from my second out of state trip during July. The first was from my home in Virginia to Seattle, Washington for a wedding. The second was a week long road trip to Sandusky, Ohio; for the Izaak Walton League of America (IWLA) Annual Convention. If I have time today, I'll confirm my suppositions as to your latest warbird question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

Ernie, where in the Seattle area? Just curious to see if you were anywhere close to me
Old 08-01-2017, 06:38 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Ernie, where in the Seattle area? Just curious to see if you were anywhere close to me
Well, we either stayed in Marysville or that's where the wedding was held. It was a busy trip, and the details are foggy. I'll check and see. We started out landing at the airport, then staying on Puget Sound for a couple of evenings; the wedding was north of Seattle a bit; and we stayed the last night east of Seattle, before heading back to the airport. No place was more than an hour or so from the airport.

Oh; as to your quiz. I checked and the Polikarpov I-5 seems to fit. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Polikarpov I-5 was a single-seat biplane which became the primary Sovietfighter between its introduction in 1931 through 1936, after which it became the standard advanced trainer. Following Operation Barbarossa, which destroyed much of the Soviet Air Forces (VVS), surviving I-5s were equipped with four machine guns and bomb racks and pressed into service as light ground-attack aircraft and night bombers in 1941. They were retired in early 1942 as Soviet aircraft production began to recover and modern ground-attack aircraft like the Ilyushin Il-2 became available. A total of 803 built (including 3 prototypes). The 1928 Five-Year Plan ordered the Tupolev design bureau to develop a mixed-construction (metal and wood/fabric) biplane fighter powered by a Bristol Jupiter VII engine with the first prototype completed by 1 September 1929. The new fighter was designated I-5 (Istrebitel'—Fighter), but had the internal Tupolev designation of ANT-12. Concurrently, Nikolai Nikolaevich Polikarpov's group was tasked with creating a wood-construction aircraft designated as the Polikarpov I-6 to the same specification. The I-5 design, begun by Pavel Sukhoi, under the supervision of Andrei Tupolev, lagged because the Tupolev bureau was preoccupied with large bombers. As the result the I-5 and I-6 projects were unified in 1929 under Polikarpov's leadership, although neither project met its specified completion date.

Nikolai Polikarpov was arrested by the OGPU in September 1929 for the crime of industrial sabotage for these failures and sentenced to death, although this was commuted to ten years imprisonment in a labor camp. In December 1929 the OGPU gathered a number of aircraft engineers together at Butyrka prison, including Polikarpov, and formed the Internal Prison Design Bureau (Konstruktorskoye Byuro Vnutrenniya Tyurma—KB VT) under the leadership of Dmitry Pavlovich Grigorovich. The KB VT was transferred to quarters on the grounds of Factory (Zavod) Nr. 30 in Moscow-Khodinka in early 1930. Shortly afterwards Polikarpov replaced Grigorovich as the head designer when his concept for the I-5 was approved by the OGPU. The full-scale mock-up was approved on 28 March 1930 and the first prototype, designated VT-11 (Vnutrenniya Tyurma—Internal Prison), was completed a month later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.