Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
GotSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

Well still no word from UPS.. I think I'm going to just start working on this bird even with the damage. I had going into a project already having to make repairs especially on something that cost this much.. Oh-well.. I will put some pictures as I go, when I get things kicked off
Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you called UPS everyday? I called and was told an claims agent would call me within 24 hours to set up time for meeting to look at the Spitfire. I did not recieve a call with 24 hours. I called evryda twice a day for 4 days until I giot that call. On the third day you will be moved up the line to a supervisor in you local area.. You really need to pester them.....The Sqeaky wheel gets the grease...

Ty
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 AM
fly4mation
My Feedback: (14)

Maybe Tomas didnt get my email so I will pose this question here. I am at the end of the build and was wondering if anybody knows if the specified CG is with the gear up or gear down,. Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

If anything balance it with the gear up. When you put the gear down the CG will shift forward but should remain well within the margin for safe flight.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 PM
fly4mation

Ok fellas I got the maiden done on the corsair today and was very pleased, I had three uneventful flights. the recomended throws and CG are a good starting point. It is a little on the nose heavy side but thats how I like my warbirds balance as they tend to land better that way. The ailerons were a little sensitive so some expo is a good thing to have with in you first flights. The rudder is also sensitive. The landings were solid and on the last one I streched it out some to see if it had any bad tendencies and it remained solid. The first impressions I get from it are positive.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
captainron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YAAAAAAA CLARK!!!

I was hoping you'd post how the maiden went. It was great flying with you guys at Chreey Creek yesterday. You and I were talking yesterday about the maiden. Sounds like it went well. I wasn't happy to hear it was a nasty build and you had to make lots of changes. I'm still trying to make up my mind wether or not I'm going to get one or not. Did you ever figure out why your gear on the Jug kept cyclying in flight?

You and Doug were definately the highlight of the day with the B-25's in formation.........fun to watch.

See ya at WARBIRDS OVER PUEBLO.......................got your spot saved...

CAPTAIN RON

Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM
fly4mation

Thanks Ron, ya the jug had a bad servo on the retracts. Luckily Ken had another one he gave me so I was able to get another flight in. It was good to see all the pueblo gang. We are looking forward to flying the corsairs with you guys in sept.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ron,

If you get one now it'l be ready by Labor Day and we can get a whole squadron of bent wings up. Otherwise again, you can just sit in the peanut gallery hootin' and hollerin'! I'd rather you joined us!! Nothin' like a gaggle of Corsairs flying to, "We are poor little lambs who have lost their way...BAA, BAA, BAAAAAAAA!!"
Old 07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
captainron

WHAAAAAAAT? what's wrong with a gaggle of Corsairs with a couple of nice Jugs up front?[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothin' wrong with that...especially if they're BIG jugs!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Scale Specialties

How about some pictures....
Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
captainron

LOL!!! WHERE'S THIS GOING?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Please post some pictures
Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Sorry if I missed it but are you guys useing the new Retracts for the 50cc plane from ESM ? If so can you report back on the Qc and opweration
Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM
fly4mation

I modified some robart 148's to fit so im not familiar with the esm ones but in an earlier post someone said they looked ok except for not having a lock feature when the gear is up. I hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Growler84

That was me. The ESM gear is really nice and well-made. Per my inquiry, the Troybuilt guys were helpfull and went back direct to ESM regarding the lack of a mechanical uplock mechanism on the Corsair gear. ESM is rightfully proud of this gear set, maintains its fine and will not make any changes to it. I got it and I understand where they are coming from as the gear functions perfectly in shop conditions. However, relying on cylinder air pressure alone to hold up the gear strut and wheel against flight loads (g) is not going to work. The gear will sag out of the wheel wells during positive-g maneuvering like steep turns loops and so forth. In fact, with 100 psi on the cylinder and the gear up I can hold one of the units parallel to the ground and with a quick downward motion get the strut to "sling" out.

Troybuilt said they would take the gear back for a refund but I chose not to take them up on that because the gear is just too nice! I'm going to work out an uplock solution and retain the gear. I have some ideas ranging from a simple spring clip setup to a retrofitted Robart-style mechanical lock mechanism. I looked at other available gear solutions and for me the ESM gear with its minor problem was still the best choice.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Saito 325R5 5cyl engine and I'm wondering if the question was ever answered if this engine will in fact fit and is it enough to fly this F-4U well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...R5D#quickSpecs

Saito 325R5
5cyl
53cc
Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Growler84

From early on in the post..."inside of the cowl is 10.5 inches." Horzon says the 325 is 170 X 220mm, not sure how they are measuring that but using the bigger number that's 8.7 inches or so. The motor should fit without an issue.

Horizon says 20 X 10 prop with and RPM range of 1700 to 7500. Lets say they are optimistic and it pulls a 20 X 10 at 6500 RPM, it will fly an 86 inch Corsair but not with much reserve power. You'll have to fly it on the wing and over-the-top maneuvers like loops will require a downhill run. I base my opinion on a TF 1/5th Mustang I had which was ballasted to 27 pounds powered by a Challenger 2.7ci (44cc) gas motor which managed a 20 X 10 APC prop at 6500 RPM. The Mustang flew just like I described.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Whistling Death

Growler84 you could always have the gear retrofitted with electric actuators.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Chris Nicastro

I see what you mean. In additoin the Corsair is more draggy than the P-51 so that isnt a really fair comparison but I get your meaning. This combo may fly but lack authority which is no fun in a difficult situation. It also relagates the plane to a fair weather flyer which I'm not a fan of either.

Would you describe the bare airframe as "light" when its just dry fit together w/o anything installed? Or is it pretty hefty. I see those fiberglass flaps as adding weight behind the CG which concerns me. That is another reason why I was considering the Saito for its weight to help balance out the plane with usable weight rather than dead weight.

Any progress on the retracts?
Which other units are good candidates to use in place of the ESM units? The electric option sounds good for this plane if there is a significant weight reduction.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Growler84

Of course I should weigh the airframe to answer the question with full accuracy but based on your characterization I would say the airframe is on the "hefty" side. I have the wings rigged and all put together without the retracts installed they are clearly heavier than the fuselage. Makes sense really with all the structure for the removable wing panels, the retract mounts and glass skin. I know this won't help but being a scale modeler I'd use the Saito 325 in a heartbeat because it would be just too cool running up in the nose of a Corsair. Mine (actually I'm building it for a friend) is getting a DA-50, which will pull it like no tomorrow.

As for the gear, I'm probably being optimistic but I think I can rig an uplock solution pretty easily. We looked at the Robarts, which will fit with some minor modifications to the mounting area and we looked at CJM. I didn't like the CJM option. I've use Robarts for years and would not hesitate to get them however, they are priced pretty much the same as the ESM gear which are more robust and scale looking.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Chris Nicastro

OK I see. It would be good to run the Saito engine on a stand and get a thrust reading on it with a couple of prop choices. Then compare that to the AUW of the Corsair and get some idea if this would work out. Know of anyone who has data on this engine and thrust measurements? I'll check the radial engine thread now that I think of it.

I'm curious to see where you end up at for final weight. Any projections yet or do you still have far to go?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Scale Specialties

Could someone with one these birds please do me a favor and run a tape measure from wingtip to wingtip. I know the plane is advertised as 85", but I have a suspicion it is closer to 84". It's not much of a difference but I would like to know.
Thanks, Dave
Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Growler84

I have a way to go but now I'm curious so maybe tonight I'll weigh all the pieces and see what I can come up with. According to specs the Saito is 5.25 pounds, the DA-50 weighs about 3.5 I think with the Slimline muffler and ignition setup. So your "dead weight" comment is certainly applicable, lets see what kind of weight we can come up with. I did fly that 27 pound Mustang on 44cc's including a fly in at Alburquerque NM in the Summer (9200 ft pressure altitude)! THAT was a scale takeoff, no doubt.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Chris Nicastro

Wow that would have been a full military power take off I bet! [X(][sm=what_smile.gif]
You also have to add the weight of the Keleo exh. that would be used on the Saito as well. I plan on getting the ring with the straight down pipe. I bet the engine comes in at 6lbs. alone.
That would be great if youcan check on that. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.