Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

Yeah, the Mustang looked like an overloaded 727 departing out of Cairo Egypt. Once it got up on step it was fine though...fly the wing.

Ok, I weighed everything it takes to complete the model and came up with 23.5 pounds. That does not include ballast so with the DA-50 I'm looking at probably 2.0 pounds or more to get it within the CG limits. The complete wing assembly was 12.75 pounds alone. The DA-50 with muffler and ignition minus battery weighs 4.0 pounds. So a 25-26 pound bird probably, which is well within the 1/5th scale warbird range. In your shoes I'd go with the 325, but that's my opinon based on already-mentioned experience.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Greg. Good to know. Another benefit to the Corsair are those huge flaps to slow her down for landings and the ample lift those wings generate. The approach speed should be just right and not too scary...lol I'm used to warbirds coming in like meteors sometimes.
OK well I'm watching your progress and seriously considering that combo. I'm going to do a little more research on it as well.
Here is my situation. I have a SisT Fw 190A8 kit and this engine is intended for that plane. The problem I have is trusting that engine being brand new and all in such an expensive plane which I'm going to spend a lot of time on. My thought was to fly the Saito in a cheaper ARF warbird to break it in and get used to it. Cost wise I would sacrifice an ESM Corsair 7 or 8 times over 1 SisT Fw 190, you know, so for peice of mind I think it would be worth it.

Well keep her going, lets kick the tires and light fires!!

Chris
Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Growler84
Ok, I weighed everything it takes to complete the model and came up with 23.5 pounds. That does not include ballast so with the DA-50 I'm looking at probably 2.0 pounds or more to get it within the CG limits. The complete wing assembly was 12.75 pounds alone. The DA-50 with muffler and ignition minus battery weighs 4.0 pounds. So a 25-26 pound bird probably, which is well within the 1/5th scale warbird range. In your shoes I'd go with the 325, but that's my opinon based on already-mentioned experience.
Man I wish this bird was just a little bit bigger..... I'm itchin to spend some cash on a Moki radial..... If the 150 would fit inside, I'd be happy just to start it up and taxi around listening to it.

What if I promise not to turn very hard and reserve full power only for uplines?

Maybe the odd torque roll?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe not a moki radial.....but you could sure fit a Seidel 7 or 9 cyl radial in this plane...and be a hell of a lot cheaper.
7cyl $1199
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._Radial_Engine
9cyl $1499
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._Radial_Engine

You could also easily put in an ASP 400 5cyl or a saito 325 or 450
5 cyl $799
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...er_Glow_Engine
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
wind junkie

I've heard those and I'm not too keen on cleaning up oil unless it's from a smoke system. They do look nice though. Moki's are mesmerizing and I'm too entranced at this point. I've been saving pennies and looking at P47, corsair, Yak, even sea Fury ads for months in a 100" size radial warbird ARF. Corsairs always look best to me and a smoke system won't foul the wheels cause they fold straight back.

Money's not the issue. The Issues I can forsee are strength of wing, gear (bigger springs?), engine mount. And how bad will it bite in the turns with 6 lbs of extra weight compared with a "proper" setup.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Magnum RC

It is my intention to own one of these Corsairs.  Can any of you guys verify if a Saito 450 will actually fit inside the cowl without rubbing?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Whistling Death

wind junkie if money isn't the issue then there are plenty of Corsairs out there already big enough to put a Moki in.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:17 PM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death
wind junkie if money isn't the issue then there are plenty of Corsairs out there already big enough to put a Moki in.
Really? TIME is an issue though. So is dis assembly/travel configuration. I see a couple Ziroli corsairs for sale but they seem to have a 1 piece wing? That won't fit in my car. Also removeable stabs would be preferred.

Any others (esp ARFs) I should know about? The CARF is a nice bird, but still not really an "ARF" when compared to the degree of prefab in the ESM kits. Also, I like the idea of solartex covered fully sheeted wings (outboard) with FG centers. All painted in flat blues of course.

If I can't find anything before winter, I'll likely pony up to a CARF corsair, but I'm still looking for more of a turn key option.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:23 PM
TimT2000

ORIGINAL: Magnum RC

It is my intention to own one of these Corsairs. Can any of you guys verify if a Saito 450 will actually fit inside the cowl without rubbing?
Looks like the Saito 450 is 9.84" in Dia. and the cowl is 10.5" in Dia. sounds close but may fit.

cheers Tim
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 AM
bigbreeze

ORIGINAL: TimT2000

ORIGINAL: Magnum RC

It is my intention to own one of these Corsairs. Can any of you guys verify if a Saito 450 will actually fit inside the cowl without rubbing?
Looks like the Saito 450 is 9.84'' in Dia. and the cowl is 10.5'' in Dia. sounds close but may fit.

cheers Tim
Just a thought, but don't forget most engines are offset to the left side of the firewall to account for right thrust, and not sitting dead center and straight out of the firewall.

Cheers,
Bb
Old 08-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Magnum RC

Well, I am probably going to committ myself to it. IF the offset is as you say, perhaps I can turn the engine a bit to move the cylinders so it can accomodate. That is close though, but it sounds like enough room. It will be the best project to date for me.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
hippo-1216

Can someone post some pics of there corsair build also would like to see finished aircraft and first flight if possible THANKS...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Mr DJ

Gents, what up…
I received both my Corsair 50cc and Robin 400 from ESM a few days ago. I contacted TBM as instructed on their Web and they told me to contact ARFPro, the US EMS distributor; I did and bought both on the spot. I also bought the retracts of course. My DL 55 with Pitts for the Corsair and DL 111 for the Robin arrived from Tower Hobbies as well. Have a Beila 20x10 3-Blade of course for the Corsair; nothing yet for the Robin.
I’m not concerned with any retract issues; just like my turbine retract issues, I’m sending them to Down and Locked Retract Systems. I’m sure you’ve seen there ads on RCU. They simply remove the air parts and place a small but strong electric motor to the rear of the cylinder; the movement is via a screw jack – freakin’ brilliant and simple. All ups and downs and locks in both positions are freakin’ solved and all done from a 4.8v batt.
Don’t know when mine will be built; got so many freakin’ birds on the table; turbines, gassers, and glows. I guess there’s no photo posting in this thread although I see photos; anyways, once I get around to placing mine together, I’ll throw one or two out there. But here’s only a third of what my shop looks like; ONLY a third.
Later…
Mr DJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56600.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1483066  
Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 PM
GotSky

Well I can no longer hold back my anger so I'm here to vent.! Please do not buy from TROY BUILT MODELS . I have been waiting and waiting for some resolution on my 50cc Corsair. Troy Built would not file a UPS claim on my order so I went ahead and opened the claim on my own. I took the pictures of the damage to the plane and box. I went through the UPS inspection and sat patiently waiting for some help. I agreed to fix the model so I opened the UPS claim for $300 not the full amount of the air frame and the coverage. Troy built said they would offer me a $50 store credit and sent me a new cowl. I told them that was a great start but its going to cost me more in time and materials to fix the back of my air frame then $50. I told them that I went ahead and opened the claim and I would pay them for the cowl when I got the claim money and then use the rest to have the rear of the plane fixed by someone with more know how then I have. So I sat and waited 2 months!. I find out today that TBM was paid the full amount of the claim over 1 month ago. When I called to ask what was up I was told this issue has been resolved and they are done with it!!!. I still have a broken airframe and they were paid twice!!! They are crooks and have for ever lost my business as well as those that fly with me locally. It is so sad that people conduct themselves this way and expect to stay in business. Please use other companies that are more deserving of your hard earned money.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 PM
TimT2000

ORIGINAL: GotSky

Well I can no longer hold back my anger so I'm here to vent.! Please do not buy from TROY BUILT MODELS . I have been waiting and waiting for some resolution on my 50cc Corsair. Troy Built would not file a UPS claim on my order so I went ahead and opened the claim on my own. I took the pictures of the damage to the plane and box. I went through the UPS inspection and sat patiently waiting for some help. I agreed to fix the model so I opened the UPS claim for $300 not the full amount of the air frame and the coverage. Troy built said they would offer me a $50 store credit and sent me a new cowl. I told them that was a great start but its going to cost me more in time and materials to fix the back of my air frame then $50. I told them that I went ahead and opened the claim and I would pay them for the cowl when I got the claim money and then use the rest to have the rear of the plane fixed by someone with more know how then I have. So I sat and waited 2 months!. I find out today that TBM was paid the full amount of the claim over 1 month ago. When I called to ask what was up I was told this issue has been resolved and they are done with it!!!. I still have a broken airframe and they were paid twice!!! They are crooks and have for ever lost my business as well as those that fly with me locally. It is so sad that people conduct themselves this way and expect to stay in business. Please use other companies that are more deserving of your hard earned money.

Really.. I know this is off topic but I was ready to get the army Zero... Am I going to have these troubles.
cheers Tim
Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 PM
GotSky

I just wanted others to know what I have been put through. Not that you will have the same issue, but I just want others to know that this is how they do business and I will never shop there or recommend them again.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

You need to contact the shipper that paid them and file a fraud case. You might even be able to contact the local police in their home base and file a fraud case. I have never bought much from TBM but from some of the nightmare stories I have heard I would steer far clear of them.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 AM
GotSky

I talked to the UPS district manager for a lengthy time about the issue. Per UPS guide lines whomever ships the package and applies the insurance coverage is the one that gets the claim money. It did not matter that I did all the leg work to fix my situation. Because Troy Built shipped the model they are the ones that get the claim funds. It is then up to them to distribute the money how they see fit. In this case they chose to keep the cash issue me a $50 store credit. Not cool in my book!!! Originally I tired to send back the plane due to the damage, but Troy Built said I had to pay the shipping - which for someone that dose not have a large volume account was over $200 out of my pocket due to the size of the box. It makes me sick that I have spent this amount of money and all they (TBM) made double profit. This was not my first order with them but will be my last. I have spent A LOT of $ with them in the past. Sure not as much as some people but well over $5000 in the past 3 years. As of this point on I will never shop with them again nor will my flying buddies. So for an issue that could have been taken care off by my efforts and nothing out of their pocket. They have lost out on thousands of dollars in sales over the life time that I am in this hobby as well as our club that is over 250 strong. . All they needed to do was send me the check from UPS instead greed took over and they blew me off. All I have at this time is KARMA and I hope it comes back on them in a big way...
Old 08-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Scale Specialties

Well Hippo-1216 I guess the idea of having someone post 50cc Corsair photos or keep on topic is just TOO much to ask......
Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 AM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Could you please post the contact info for ARF Pro and Down and Locked? Very smart approach IMO.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Shaun Evans

Gotsky,

Thanks for letting us know. In fairness, TBM should definitely chime in with their side. In the mean time, I'm putting the brakes on my intended purchase from them. If what you are saying is true, then they will never get one penny of my business.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 AM
GotSky

http://www.downandlocked.com/
Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GotSky

If this is true, that is pretty bad business! Typically they should send you another kit, and if they want the damaged kit they should pay for the return shipment.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Got SKY you should contact your credit card company and they can get a refund if your package was not in good condition in alot of cases...You need to let your CC company that they were paid for the product by UPS..

Guys If any of you get a box that is damaged and your plane is broken you have to have patience. I got a The 50 cc Spitfire in and the box was accordianed on one end. I took pic's of the box before I even opened it. I took pic's of each step of opening the box. And then i found that the fuse was damaged in the rear of the fuse. I immediately called TBM to let them know of the damage. They gave me a e-mail address to send the pic's to. Then it became a waiting game. You need to call at least once or twice a week to ask what is happening with your claim. It took 30 days and they finally sent me a brand new fuse. It did not cost me anything but time. When you start taking matter into your own hands it gets messy . Never offer to do work on the plane and always tell UPS that you want an inspector to come to you for inspection and don't let them just come by and pick it up. You have to tell them they can have it After the claim has been settled and they will come by and pick up the damaged product. Make sure you save everything. all boxes and packing materials. they will want to take pic's...If they refuse the claim the sender is still responsible for the product. It not your worry if they get paid or not..

Also I would never take a store credit. That is only to the good of the store. They are making way more than $50 on each kit and if they can give you a store credit that even more money in thier pocket...

Ty
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Oh And ya'll should inspect every part of the kit as soon as it comes in. There is about a 5 day window to summit a claim....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.