Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
flytaildragger
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

We are going to start importing the Corsair into Canada again, but Andrew is investing extra bucks to put these planes in heavy duty cardboard crates. We grew weary of United Plane Shredders and their gorillas. KMP lost a lot of money trying to have planes delivered, but most of the time we tried to make the customer happy with whatever it took.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: coronabob

Could you please post the contact info for ARF Pro and Down and Locked? Very smart approach IMO.
ARF Pros LLC
Exclusive importer of ESM Models
(941) 232-8188

Tell Bob, Mr DJ sent you, no BS. He told me I bought the last Corsair 'til Oct, but you know how that goes, they'll always tell you that just to get you to buy, he probably has 10 of them mo fos in is livin' room . I was going to buy anyways. I also intend to order the Bonaza V-tail and Swordfish directly from Bob...
Mitch Stott @ [email protected]
Down and Locked Retract Systems
828 817 0412
308 Watermill Dr
Mill Spring, NC 28756

Tell Mitch, Mr DJ sent you, again, no BS.

Mr DJ
Old 08-14-2010, 04:37 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotsky,

Why don't you file suit in small claims court. It's easy to do and doesn't cost anything (in some jurisdictions.) You shouldn't let any vendor get away with screwing you. You can get all sorts of guidance on how to do it on the internet.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 AM
n8622t

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Gotsky, I had a very similar incident with TBM myself regarding the TBM P-40 when it first came out, long story short I waited 2 months before Mastercard got my money back, but it took Mastercard to do it. Im like you, steer clear of TBM, besides they are dropping the ESM line of planes anyway. I replaced the TBM P-40 with a Skyshark, I love it and the Skyshark people are interested in customer service
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23726.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1484921  
Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 AM
GotSky

I'm just done with them and I'm moving on. The whole thing just kind of burned me out on building my plane. I did not know at the time but another fellow at my club was in a heated go around with them at the same time. His was over motor issue. Give me a week or 2 and I'm sure I will jump in and start making the repairs so I can start the build. I promise to post some pictures as I go, and any hits from those that have run this road before me would be great. I am still thinking of a G62 for weight reasons, but am still on the fence. Once I get her under way I'm sure the build will go quickly. I'm really surprised there are no pictures or videos up yet of finished birds or detailed flying reports. hmmmmm
Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 AM
hippo-1216

Is or has anyone used the pull pull cable system on their tail or just using a control rod instead
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 AM
RoysterDW

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed
Old 09-06-2010, 06:53 PM
hippo-1216

What Happen did every one just give up building there corsairs
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Growler84

I've been wrestling with the lack of a positive mechanical gear up lock with the ESM Corsair gear. While looking for a space to house a servo to drive whatever gear lock mechanism I was going to come up with, I stumbled on a very simple method to help the air pressure in the cylinder keep the gear up during positive g loading. Provided the picture comes out ok, it should be obvious. I mixed the two "gear lock" servos via y-harness to the gear channel on my JR 9303 and slowed the lock servos down to 7.5 seconds in the gear up direction. This allows for a scale-looking 5 second gear transition before the servo arms overlap the tires and keep pressure on them. For the down direction I left the lock servos at full speed and slowed the retract valve servo speed a bit so the lock arms would be out of the way of the descending gear. Its not a highly technical solution but it will prevent the gear from sagging out of the wheel wells during a hard turn or loop.

I mentioned very early in this thread that using the motor mount tube results in left engine thrust. Not wanting to jack with modifying that set up I opted for a conventional wood engine block mount to give the DA-50 some right offset. Nothing complex, I just had to allow for the cowl mounting ring when cutting the plate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67334.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1496908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51304.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1496909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77940.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1496910  
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Magnum RC

I was really wondering about that tube design business getting a correct flying deflection on the engine; especially if you are mounting one of those fancy radial engines in the cowl like I intend to. This is good stuff.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Magnum RC

In a scale warbird Hippo, when there is hard to get at adjustments, a pull pull for me just doesn't cut it because of the cable maintenance. I will opt for carbon fiber control rods with 440 links to my controls. Hasn't failed me yet on big Warbirds.. And..... Magnum RC has em...
Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: hippo-1216

Hippo,

Can't speak for anyone but mine is in the works; I have a peckin' order - currently building ESM Robin 400 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9976867/tm.htm

Peckin' Order
Robin 400
T-33 Turbine
DC-3
Corsair
F-18 Turbine
F-16 Turbine
F-14 Turbine
F-4 Turbine
F-15 Turbine
J-35 Draken Turbine

On all of my retracts, I'm going with Down N Locked, a company that converts your retracts to an electrical screw jack that works every time. I won't be able to use them on my F-16 as the gear is different and sophisticated. Anyways, yes, my Corsair is in the works

Mr DJ

Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

ORIGINAL: Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: hippo-1216

Hippo,

Can't speak for anyone but mine is in the works; I have a peckin' order - currently building ESM Robin 400 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9976867/tm.htm

Peckin' Order
Robin 400
T-33 Turbine
DC-3
Corsair
F-18 Turbine
F-16 Turbine
F-14 Turbine
F-4 Turbine
F-15 Turbine
J-35 Draken Turbine

On all of my retracts, I'm going with Down N Locked, a company that converts your retracts to an electrical screw jack that works every time. I won't be able to use them on my F-16 as the gear is different and sophisticated. Anyways, yes, my Corsair is in the works [img][/img]

Mr DJ

ME want Draken

Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
hippo-1216

Growler84 What is the total thickness of your motor mount Yours looks stronger and better than the tube mount that it comes with I guess you use the standoffs that came with your motor
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Growler84

Yes I'm using the 3 inch standoffs that come with the DA-50 and when I get home I'll post the total thickness of my mount plate setup since I can't remember it right now.

Ok, I checked, the two plates together are 0.7 inch thick. Remember this works to place a DA-50 using 3 inch standoffs at the appropriate distance from the firewall. Obviously other motors may require different mount plate thickness.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

I have been lurking in the shadows watching this thread. It looks like the 50cc Corsair will be shipping late October. This will be my next build as I have pre ordered one. Just got my Saito 450r which will hopefully fit ok . The engine diameter is 10" and it has been posted the cowl is 10.5". It is difficult to understand the right thrust/ offset thrust problem without having the model in hand. I am also a bit concerned about the retracts and their failure to lock in the up position, if indeeds this is a problem. Has anyone actually flown this plane yet? I am curious as to the finished all up weight too. Any insight into the model is appreciated.
Thanks
tp
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: Growler84

I've been wrestling with the lack of a positive mechanical gear up lock with the ESM Corsair gear. While looking for a space to house a servo to drive whatever gear lock mechanism I was going to come up with, I stumbled on a very simple method to help the air pressure in the cylinder keep the gear up during positive g loading. Provided the picture comes out ok, it should be obvious. I mixed the two ''gear lock'' servos via y-harness to the gear channel on my JR 9303 and slowed the lock servos down to 7.5 seconds in the gear up direction. This allows for a scale-looking 5 second gear transition before the servo arms overlap the tires and keep pressure on them. For the down direction I left the lock servos at full speed and slowed the retract valve servo speed a bit so the lock arms would be out of the way of the descending gear. Its not a highly technical solution but it will prevent the gear from sagging out of the wheel wells during a hard turn or loop.

I mentioned very early in this thread that using the motor mount tube results in left engine thrust. Not wanting to jack with modifying that set up I opted for a conventional wood engine block mount to give the DA-50 some right offset. Nothing complex, I just had to allow for the cowl mounting ring when cutting the plate.
Your non-locking gear fix is just Brilliant!!!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

I have been lurking in the shadows watching this thread. It looks like the 50cc Corsair will be shipping late October. This will be my next build as I have pre ordered one. Just got my Saito 450r which will hopefully fit ok . The engine diameter is 10" and it has been posted the cowl is 10.5". It is difficult to understand the right thrust/ offset thrust problem without having the model in hand. I am also a bit concerned about the retracts and their failure to lock in the up position, if indeeds this is a problem. Has anyone actually flown this plane yet? I am curious as to the finished all up weight too. Any insight into the model is appreciated.
Thanks
tp

Tom, If the right thrust can not be achieved with your engine, you can always mix in
some right rudder with the throttle. I have done this on a P-47 and it works great. I might
even perfer it to a out of line engine.

cheers
Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Tom in Cincy

Thanks Tim, that most likely what will happen. I usually have to hold right rudder on my big warbirds anyway, so I'm use to it. I got my Saito 450r mounted on a test stand and ran it up, still in the break-in mode. So we are waiting for the slow boat from China to arrive with a shipment of ESM Corsairs. You got to wonder how many of these arfs are out there with the lack of any flight reports. The flying season is coming to a way too quick end here in Ohio. Hopefully a flight report will be posted soon.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:17 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to good to be true but looks like it is,

As everyone knows I am anti arf but love Corsairs. I might change the anti arf thing because what I see about this arf is that it seems very well built and if it's the same size or bigger than the Byron Corsair I might have to buy one. Do you think the 215 Moki would be a good choice for this model? Or even the 150? Let me know if the outer wing panels are glass or cloth/oracover. I can always remove the covering and sheet and glass them. I have been building foreever and still am not flying one of my Corsairs so I think it is time to give in and get one that is almost ready to fly. Nice and straight and a good flyer. Has anyone flown one yet with a moki 150 or 215 in it. If you have do you have a video you would share?

Please reply with your thoughts,

Barry
Owner
Canopy Rails for Warbirds
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Tom in Cincy

The 50cc ESM Corsairs are due in soon. Looks like build/flying activity is pretty much zero. Any opinions as whether to go with the ESM retract set for $379 or piece together the Robart model 148 set (Top Flight G.S. Corsair) with DuBro wheels via Tower Hobby for virtually the same price? Basically I hear very FEW good things about the ESM retracts but I have yet to experience the wonderfulness of just dropping in a set of retracts that fit! I usually get to fight the retract install for a few days.. I hope the ESM Corsair flys well. I don't think I've read many flight reports either.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 PM
DJ
My Feedback: (5)

Tom
Go with the sierra for sure. True they don't fit but well worth the $$. It only takes a few min. on each side to make it happen. Don't cheat and screw down the gear doors. It's worth the extra time. I have been working on mine off and on and should have the gear done soon. Then to the doors. Check you kit when it comes in. Mine had a broken rudder and a crushed canopy. VQ warbirds replace then no problem.
I'm going to run the 3w 55 and a three blade solo. Should be cool for sure.

DJ
Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 AM
flytaildragger

Tom I thought I would chime in here and offer my input as well. Being on this side of ESM products, their retracts are pretty sound if you are not a carrier pilot. The air system will need attention, a higer PSI like top it off every flight to 115. Sierra Giant is the best of course as stated, I guess it amounts to your willing cash flow. Anymore, it is becoming acceptable to almost pay as much for the landing gear as you do the air frame to get the quality. If you learn to land gentle the ESM retracts will work for you... The moment you drop the plane on them with a hard landing, they are liable to shear the rotating pin.. These parts are hard to scare up. Don't know if you care, but I intend to get this plane, I will probably use the ESM to start; but I will always have Darrels number handy when I need him.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Tom in Cincy

Thanks DJ and Flytaildragger . Yes the cash flow is pretty much a slow drip here. I have to get the most bang for the buck if possible, but the worst case is if I have to something twice. Although the Sierra Giants are held in high esteem their price is too. Robart has a pretty good product and are discounted if Tower stocks what you need. The input I was looking for was the value of the ESM retracts and you guys have helped a lot. I agree fully that the quality of the undercarriage of the airplane is vital to the longevity of the airframe. Well by the end of the month the new shipment should be in the builders hands and hopefully this thread will really come to life. Hope they fly good!
tp
Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even at $375 a set its pricey, might as well get the Robart or Sierra and not waste $375 with a hard landing. IMHO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.