Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Propeller starting point

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Propeller starting point

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 08:37 AM
Pilot_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller starting point

My dad and I are really new to these FE boats and running a stock TFL Pursuit with a 120 sea king and the SSS 1620 motor stock prop that came with it on 4s. I want to put in a 6s battery to see what happens, but would like a more able propeller as to not fry the electronics. I've been seeing the Octura X442 would be a good starting point, but not sure. Any recommendations would be nice, because we want to play around in this hobby and while doing our homework, we just need a good starting point to learning the effects of propeller choice. These Boats have proven complex to any other RC vehicle, to my surprise. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:17 PM
Pilot_Guy

I'm done with boats, they are a PITA and can't get any parts it seems, like the one piece shaft for the TFL pursuit or my Hydropro inception. Very little support for them, except hoping you get your questions answered on the internet some place. I fly helicopters and not even near a pain as these FE boats. Also I find that if you don't race them, it gets boring after a few outings. Sure speed runs are cool, but getting there takes a ton of patience and experimenting. Im sticking to airplanes and helis, my first love and I know them well. I have an brand new NIB Aquacraft Vegas Deuce that never saw water, a TFL pursuit, Hydropro Inception, also never saw water and a BlackJack 24 that runs well and fun. I may keep all or just get rid of. If I get rid of, I may get an urge to try boats again and won't have any, lol....oh well.... Anyways, they are getting shelved once again and the Vegas Duece might come out of the box as a display lol. Thanks for all the help and kudos to those that have the patients for these things. However, I'm out.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't give up so easily. The Vegas is actually a very good boat that was designed by a guy that actually races boats from Wisconsin. As for TFL and Hydropro, I've never heard of them. I'm guessing they are Chinese companies that are just out for the cash, could be wrong though. Your best option would be to find a club that runs in your area and ask them for help. Here's a link to the IMPBA clubs and officers that cover your area:
https://www.impba.net/district-2-off...and-clubs.html
I would contact the district director, Randy Rapedius to see about having someone help you out.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:59 AM
Pilot_Guy

TFL is the company that makes boats like the Pursuit and Genesis. Very good quality, we can't stop looking at our pursuit, because of the glass smooth and shiny finish. I got my Vegas Duece Hydro 11 years ago when I first wanted to get into boats, but electric back then was not like it is now. The fast boats then were all nitro, so I got the Vegas Duece because it looked cool, lol However I got in deep over my head and I never ran it, it's still brand new, never a drop of water on it, sits in the original crate. I may bring it out and use it as a show piece on the shelf, but no plans to run it. My Hyropro Inception is sold through HobbyKing as an all plastic, 37" deep-V, with a 1300KV outrunner motor, running on twin 6s graphenes. I got that because it was big, cheap and suppose to go 58MPH out of the box for under 350.00 RTR. Again, never ran and sits on my shelf. I have finally found the one piece shaft for the Stinger drive on our Pursuit, replacing the two piece unit that makes no sense and makes maintenance a pain. So I'm happy about getting that one piece as it will be easier for dad to maintain his own boat.

We both agreed to keep the Pursuit box stock for now and try out upgrading our BlackJack 24 as a way to learn. Right now I clocked it at 28 MPH as box stock on smooth water on 3s. My first upgrade attempt will be to replace the 30 amp ESC in it, with the 90 amp esc out of my Hyrdropro Inception(which happens to be a Hobbywing ESC) so I can use a 4s battery. I also want to replace the plastic prop with a metal version that is close to the original specs or slightly "more" That is where it gets complicated, prop selection seems to be the make or break area. Keeping close to stock spec on the prop with 4s, doesn't seem like it would be too bad, just watching temps and see any speed increase....Guess ya gotta start someplace, because the work is worth it, these things are serious fun.

Just hard sometimes to show my 76 year old dad, what is going on and getting him to the point of tinkering with this stuff on his own. Right now it's me figuring it out, experimenting and such...and doing the maintenance, although I got him greasing the boat and maintaining the batteries quite well..
Old 08-22-2020, 06:00 AM
Pilot_Guy

TFL is the company that makes boats like the Pursuit and Genesis. Very good quality, we can't stop looking at our pursuit, because of the glass smooth and shiny finish. I got my Vegas Duece Hydro 11 years ago when I first wanted to get into boats, but electric back then was not like it is now. The fast boats then were all nitro, so I got the Vegas Duece because it looked cool, lol However I got in deep over my head and I never ran it, it's still brand new, never a drop of water on it, sits in the original crate. I may bring it out and use it as a show piece on the shelf, but no plans to run it. My Hyropro Inception is sold through HobbyKing as an all plastic, 37" deep-V, with a 1300KV outrunner motor, running on twin 6s graphenes. I got that because it was big, cheap and suppose to go 58MPH out of the box for under 350.00 RTR. Again, never ran and sits on my shelf. I have finally found the one piece shaft for the Stinger drive on our Pursuit, replacing the two piece unit that makes no sense and makes maintenance a pain. So I'm happy about getting that one piece as it will be easier for dad to maintain his own boat.

We both agreed to keep the Pursuit box stock for now and try out upgrading our BlackJack 24 as a way to learn. Right now I clocked it at 28 MPH as box stock on smooth water on 3s. My first upgrade attempt will be to replace the 30 amp ESC in it, with the 90 amp esc out of my Hyrdropro Inception(which happens to be a Hobbywing ESC) so I can use a 4s battery. I also want to replace the plastic prop with a metal version that is close to the original specs or slightly "more" That is where it gets complicated, prop selection seems to be the make or break area. Keeping close to stock spec on the prop with 4s, doesn't seem like it would be too bad, just watching temps and see any speed increase....Guess ya gotta start someplace, because the work is worth it, these things are serious fun.

Just hard sometimes to show my 76 year old dad, what is going on and getting him to the point of tinkering with this stuff on his own. Right now it's me figuring it out, experimenting and such...and doing the maintenance, although I got him greasing the boat and maintaining the batteries quite well..
Old 08-22-2020, 08:10 AM
Hydro Junkie

What I would do, not being a prop expert, would be to contact someone that is. The person I am thinking of is Mark Sholund. He has a business he calls Props 4 U where he takes R/C boat props that are rough castings from the manufacturer and finishes them into usable props. I'll be the first to say they aren't cheap but they are ready to go when you get them and are night and day different from the plastic garbage that comes with a stock boat. That said, they are also much more dangerous since they are sharpened, balanced and polished so they will cut a finger off before you can blink. If you're interested, his website is https://props4u.net/
Old 08-22-2020, 03:01 PM
Pilot_Guy

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
What I would do, not being a prop expert, would be to contact someone that is. The person I am thinking of is Mark Sholund. He has a business he calls Props 4 U where he takes R/C boat props that are rough castings from the manufacturer and finishes them into usable props. I'll be the first to say they aren't cheap but they are ready to go when you get them and are night and day different from the plastic garbage that comes with a stock boat. That said, they are also much more dangerous since they are sharpened, balanced and polished so they will cut a finger off before you can blink. If you're interested, his website is https://props4u.net/

Hey, thanks and I will do that. I will buy a prop from him and see what he suggest. I will start by getting one for my lightly modded blackjack 24. Merely just an ESC upgrade to run 4s instead of 3s. motor is the stock 2,000 KV. He could probably size up a good prop if he has my specs. Would be neat to see the improvement for real and I will gain a better idea of what is going on to see it real. My only understanding is, smaller diameter lets the motor spin up more and easier on the electronics. Pitch drives the boat further for every RPM but loads the electronics.... I'm probably way off, but I have to admit I need help with this, it's driving me nuts, lol Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Pilot_Guy
Hey, thanks and I will do that. I will buy a prop from him and see what he suggest. I will start by getting one for my lightly modded blackjack 24. Merely just an ESC upgrade to run 4s instead of 3s. motor is the stock 2,000 KV. He could probably size up a good prop if he has my specs. Would be neat to see the improvement for real and I will gain a better idea of what is going on to see it real. My only understanding is, smaller diameter lets the motor spin up more and easier on the electronics. Pitch drives the boat further for every RPM but loads the electronics.... I'm probably way off, but I have to admit I need help with this, it's driving me nuts, lol Thanks again.
Nope, you're not way off. The problem is there is so much more to consider than pitch and diameter that it's unreal.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Danny G.

Originally Posted by Pilot_Guy
Hi, First post but have been reading like crazy for the last day LOL. how did the stock BJ24 Motor take 4S, it shouldn't have done well at all as the stock 2000Kv motor in only rated to 12.6V. I upgraded my ESC to a HW Pro 120A and it can handle up to 6S but that's just crazy for such a small boat. Would like to know how 4S did though.