RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/8846989-official-mini-e-revo-thread.html)

J0EC00L 02-11-2010 12:24 AM

RE: OFFICIAL MINI E-REVO THREAD!!!

I like the blue personally, but as you said... Personal preference. I tried to do a little "coordination". My car is dark grey with the blue pin stripping, our electronics inside and servo are blue, so I went with blue a arms and did the rims up blue and silver. On the rpm a arms, they have their logo stamped on it and it is a little raised... I will outline and paint that logo silver just to bring it out. The logo is there to help you know that they are installed properly. Logo up means proper installation.

One thing to mote about the arms. The rear push rods sit extremely close to the drive shafts. I mean, reaaaaalllly close. They will rub if I do some bashing. I think installing cvds will solve that, as they provide more of a gap from the shaft due to their diameter being much smaller than plastic shafts.

I will order cvds tomorrow, as well as one of those high flow illusion bodies, or whichever helps cool the esc and motor. I had to cut slots onn my Merv body to compensate for the lack of airflow inside.

honda2237 02-11-2010 07:40 AM

^ ya true i forgot about everything else looking blue, probably looks better in person.
On the toyz website they have a metal wing that will fit the merv would that be good or bad, won't break but would be more weight, what do you think?

brianjskora 02-11-2010 10:30 AM

Honda- I've gone through a wing from crashing and it does seem to have alot of give. I think the fact that it bends has saved me a few rear wing mounts. I would fear that with a metal one, you may go through the rear mounts more, and if you got aluminum mounts too, I think the chasis might crack then :-( I would stick with the plastic too since its lighter and I have a hard time keeping the front down anyway!

z33guru 02-11-2010 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: brianjskora

Honda- I've gone through a wing from crashing and it does seem to have alot of give. I think the fact that it bends has saved me a few rear wing mounts. I would fear that with a metal one, you may go through the rear mounts more, and if you got aluminum mounts too, I think the chasis might crack then :-( I would stick with the plastic too since its lighter and I have a hard time keeping the front down anyway!
Thats the first thing that came to my mind too. You don't want the weight of that heavy metal up high in the rear, its going to make it even harder to keep the front wheels down.

honda2237 02-11-2010 10:43 AM

ya true, i forgot about the wing mount, i'm not even running a wing right now, its completely broken off:D, but the wing mount is fine and i am going to replacethe wingin the spring. They are pretty cheap so nothing to complain about. The wing does help from it flipping over, because i flip over more now because the wing is gone and there really isn't much to stop it from flipping when i get on the power.

brianjskora 02-11-2010 10:49 AM

I would consider a wheelie bar to keep the stress of your wing. i got the standard, single wheel, plastic, adjustable one from the toyz as my first mod, and its still holding strong. I haveit on the second from lowest setting, and its seems perfect.
Of course, the wing still gets bashed when its flipped over, but you will flip over less from mashing the throttle!

honda2237 02-11-2010 10:55 AM

ya i was going to pick up one, once i place an order.

Topplayer 02-11-2010 11:04 AM

at first i thought the alum wing would be cool, and also act as a wheelie bar. but after reading how the weight of camera mounted up top affected the car, im sure the wing would do the same. Plus what you guys said about the mounting points. Im ordering the rods and buckles today( stainless prolly) I may just call thetoyz and ask idk. what do you guys think of the roll cage? I think i would run with out a body sometimes if i had it. The full one is like 40 and the half size one is like 15. Im still unsure on that. Also the batteries, is it really worth it over my stocks? I mean would it be a crazy difference or just nice. I have no experience with lipos so idk. If i got them i would like to be able to charge two at a time with the parallel connector.

brianjskora 02-11-2010 11:14 AM

I've thought about the roll cage for summer. i too might run without the body if i get it. Easier to swap batteries, and more air flow. It would get dirty, but mine gets covered anyway so it wouldnt matter to me.

Does anyone have experience with the cage?

Summa 02-11-2010 01:14 PM

Yeah you will see a crazy difference in the power between stock batteries and the LIPOs.. at start of using LIPOs you may not see a difference but as you run them and experience the same speed and power at every throttle then you will understand. The standard batteries loose power gradually and you will notice it in your throttle until it dies out.. the LIPOs give you the same speed and throttle every time till the last bit before going into 50% mode and thats when your done.. GREATGREAT investment!!

Now for the cage, im with brianjskora with this one.. it will be sweet to run it in the summer on a dirt track, making it look like a sand buggy with even putting some LED lights for night time racing. It will defently make the engine cooler and as long as it isnt muddy then the insides will be easy to clean and the batteries will defently be easy to switch in and out.. But no experience yet with it.

Topplayer 02-11-2010 02:01 PM

I may get lipos down the road, i really like the roll cage. i dont care if it gets dirty, alittle water and the air compressor goes a long way :D

J0EC00L 02-11-2010 04:07 PM

I wish they made a roll cage made of tougher plastic! It would be lighter, and still perform the exact function we want it to... protect motor, electronics, etc from direct impact/shock!

Thetoyz... if you're ever on these boards, make note of this: I want a tough plastic roll cage! Plastic can be made just as strong as the aluminum parts - sometimes pastic is smarter for necessary flex. Imagine a hard tumble and the aluminum cage bends at a point (reaching your motor causing a dent or damage) - plastic would flex and bend at this point, but spring back. plus, plastic is a bit "softer" on impact.

Just my thoughts; though, i could be completely way off.

I like the roll cage idea either way - go with it bro!

J0EC00L 02-11-2010 04:08 PM

MERV without batteries = [8D]

MERV on stock batts = :)

MERV on Lipos = :D

Any questions

honda2237 02-11-2010 07:16 PM

^ completely agree above, i have used lipos since mamba came out with there first mamba brushless system(it was for the 1/18th cars and i preordered it) and i have never gone back to nimh, well worth the investment, they seem to last longer than nimh witht the same mah, and more power off the hand so no cogging. Plus everything runs cooler since the batteries are able to provide the power that the motore wants.

ONE A SIDE NOTE, i got some money back from fasfa, im going to order some stuff from the toyz and hobbycity, im so excited :))

honda2237 02-11-2010 09:08 PM

man, the toyz is out of everything thing i want, but i believe hobbycity got their new inventory in!!!!!

brianjskora 02-11-2010 10:37 PM

Yea, I like thetoyz, but it seems they dont have alot of inventory on hand. I've wanted things a handful of times but they are out of stock. They also need coupons every now and then to compete with tower. Free shipping over 50 or 10% off for members would make me buy more often, if things were in stock!!!!

piddlefoot 02-11-2010 10:39 PM

Only takes about .00003 of a second to work out an alloy tail fin is a piss weak add on.....
And RPM or plastic roll cages own alloy ones, they dont stay bent, which always happen in crashes, the argument that alloy can cop a bigger impact is lost on the fact thatif the truck does take an impact that heavy, other parts are getting broken anyways, you might as well let it all flex and bounce back.Alloy cages stiffen parts ofthe chassismore than others, causeing roll cage mount point tobreak off....

Jump up a scale to understand how piss weak alloy roll cages really are...jump to a baja scale 1/5 and it becomes so obvious it makes you wonder why people even bother.........
My baja plactic standard roll bars have outlasted some other brand baja [cant remember of top of head ] that has an alloy cage, its pretty red, and junk, every crash he has, snaps parts of his roll cage.....

And LIPO pwn ni-cad or nimh in RC machines with high draw.
One use, and you will be looking for a bin ! For the old nimh ones ! LOL !
LIPO is the first step to the holey grail of batteries, next come titonite batteries. Think thats there name.100 times the power of a LIPO at the same size ! Want one yet ?

honda2237 02-11-2010 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: piddlefoot

Only takes about .00003 of a second to work out an alloy tail fin is a piss weak add on.....
And RPM or plastic roll cages own alloy ones, they dont stay bent, which always happen in crashes, the argument that alloy can cop a bigger impact is lost on the fact thatif the truck does take an impact that heavy, other parts are getting broken anyways, you might as well let it all flex and bounce back.Alloy cages stiffen parts ofthe chassismore than others, causeing roll cage mount point tobreak off....

Jump up a scale to understand how piss weak alloy roll cages really are...jump to a baja scale 1/5 and it becomes so obvious it makes you wonder why people even bother.........
My baja plactic standard roll bars have outlasted some other brand baja [cant remember of top of head ] that has an alloy cage, its pretty red, and junk, every crash he has, snaps parts of his roll cage.....

And LIPO pwn ni-cad or nimh in RC machines with high draw.
One use, and you will be looking for a bin ! For the old nimh ones ! LOL !
LIPO is the first step to the holey grail of batteries, next come titonite batteries. Think thats there name.100 times the power of a LIPO at the same size ! Want one yet ?
Ya i only used a roll cage on my lst which i bent landing upside down, on its roof from about 5 feet up in the air, i was impress by the strength, but i did bend it back with my hands.lol

Um, yes sir may i have another. Where can you get these titonite batteries? I haven't heard of them, i have heard of the life and abc batteries, but not those.

J0EC00L 02-12-2010 07:16 PM

So,

I have come to the conclusion that thetoyz probably order their parts from hobbyking - just like we do; or they order it from some supplier in china. Makes sense though, everything comes from china, and it's the only way to sell things cheaper. Still, i wouldn't mind paying a few cents more for American made products, especially if their quality is better!

The toyz assured me they were recieving more shipments in last week. Well it's friday 2 weeks later and they still are out of stock of all the things we are wanting - well 75% of what we're wanting. Why do i say china and hobbyking (which is china) - No Changes to their inventory... no POSITIVE changes that is! shipping from china must be taking much longer than expected!

Lastly, I wish thetoyz offered better discounts than the initial 10% new customer savings. Though, i have read if you put SQRL10 in, it will save you 10%

- Waiting on out of stock parts to some day appear.........

honda2237 02-12-2010 07:20 PM

ya i wish i could find where they could get their stuff, might be able to get it cheaper though. I am waiting too.

Bad new, i believe i broke the center drive shaft, i went to do a jump inbetween two trees and at the last second the truck lost traction on the ice and flew straight in to the tree, only the from tires spin but nothing else seems to be broken which is suprising because i hit tree really hard, stupid ice.

J0EC00L 02-12-2010 10:13 PM

Nice Honda!!!

Or shall i say... Ice Honda :)

So, here's a thought, throw some salt on the ice before you drive... Or, maybe you could go to home depot and get some small chains, similar to a dog chain for a little mutt, and figure out a way to wrap your tires? It's a thought; though, i don't think the MERV is quite heavy enough to let the chains dig into the ice?

You could try the heaviest grit sandpaper that has one side that's sticky, and try wrapping the road rage in those!

I don't know, the floriday keys never get ice, so i haven't had a chance to try it out!

- Joe

SAVAGEry 02-13-2010 11:09 AM

OK, now Ijust bought my *16th* Diff ring / pinion set for the MERV!!! The diff starts clicking all the time. I've tried to change all the parts who can make the diff gear go. Plz help.... Im running 2x 7,2v NiMh in series... maybe Ishould buy 1 or 2 7,4v lipos?

honda2237 02-13-2010 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Nice Honda!!!

Or shall i say... Ice Honda :)

So, here's a thought, throw some salt on the ice before you drive... Or, maybe you could go to home depot and get some small chains, similar to a dog chain for a little mutt, and figure out a way to wrap your tires? It's a thought; though, i don't think the MERV is quite heavy enough to let the chains dig into the ice?

You could try the heaviest grit sandpaper that has one side that's sticky, and try wrapping the road rage in those!

I don't know, the floriday keys never get ice, so i haven't had a chance to try it out!

- Joe
Haha, ya. Well it was all snow on our dirt road except right before the jump which i didn't realize until, obviously when i hit the tree. lol. But the good news is its not broken, just the ball (can't remember exact name) popped out of the yolk, so i popped it back in and its all good. I know i will have to replace it in the future but its working for now. Ihave paddles on the rear, which do great on snow and not so much on ice, and i would perfer not to look crazy by salting the road, the neighbors might think i am weird. lol Ya i bet you don't get snow, its like 16F outside right now and it sucks.

Savage, thats a lot of diff rings and pinions, try adding diff lube inside the diff, shimming the diff, adding a crap ton of high end thick grease to the gears, other than that maybe change your driving style, not so many backflips, stand still backflips, and if the car is rolling backwards wait for it to stop moving before jamming the throttle, all are suggestions.

BigGrump 02-13-2010 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEry

OK, now I just bought my *16th* Diff ring / pinion set for the MERV!!! The diff starts clicking all the time. I've tried to change all the parts who can make the diff gear go. Plz help.... Im running 2x 7,2v NiMh in series... maybe I should buy 1 or 2 7,4v lipos?

You obviously drive hard. So, if you are setting the diffs up correctly and are unwilling to change driving habbits, you need to look at what increases load on diffs. If you are using larger and/or heavier tires/wheels, this increases load on diff. Switch to smaller/lighter wheels/tires.

You can also adjust the slipper clutch to limit torque at the diffs. I suggest you loosen the slipper clutch until all wheelies go away, then tighten it in small amounts until the amount of wheelie comes back that you think you need. As long as the slipper clutch nut is not fully tightened down, compressing the spring all the way, the load on the diffs should remain within limits.

Remember, it is easier on the drive train to "gear up" at the ring and pinion, than at the wheels and tires.

Dennis

SAVAGEry 02-13-2010 01:43 PM

thanks.

I do not drive that hard, but Iuse ProlineSlingshot tires... they are almost twice the size of the original tires. Iuse them because it's snow half the year over here, and they have a good amount of grip. Maybe Ishould use some smaller.....

I just adjusted the slipper, I'll try to shim a bit more, and loose the slipper. And Icanalso try to switch for the original wheels, and drivewiththe packs inparalell :)