Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

3D Hell Raiser

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:37 AM
derekandjennys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Hell Raiser

The prop, battery, and weight of the plane are also factors. At 9.9 oz RTF it is very strong. Lately I have been liking the 9x3.8 with the smaller packs but even with the added weight going to the Apogee 830 it is much better with the 10. Either way the 2208 is way plenty if built right.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:03 AM
FallingWithStyle

The most direct way to measure thrust is to buy a spring scale (some have tried the smaller fishing scales) and try a static pull test. I think static tests yield results slightly higher than experienced in the air, but its a good starting point and is usually the point of comparison anyway.

As for "feel" thrust will most directly affect acceleration. If you are only looking at overall maneuverability, then larger batteries are going to cause higher wingloadings and really change the 3d behavior of the plane.

Clark
Old 04-01-2005, 11:31 PM
tylerman

Well, I messed up another hell raiser
My dad went out and bought another HR, and to tell you the truth im not in the mood to build a 3rd HR.
Tommorow were going out and im going try out the tensor for 20 dollars cheaper and 8 hours closer to being in the air.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:12 AM
derekandjennys

The Tensor has just as much going on when you get down to it. You should consider making your own from fan-fold. The whole plane is a couple dollars.
Because I was so excited about the Tensor this winter, we got 6 of them. No one else is really liking it. I still fly mine and have the other in the box yet. It ended up being as I expected. It flies too good. It also is not very good in much wind at all. Also do not have the CG too far back. What I have ended up doing is reducing the size of the side force generators. It feels better now, requiring some rudder input in the knife edge.
I may build the second one with the 2204 on 2 cells and light gear as an indoor only plane.

I am in the same boat as you though. I have had the Hellraiser since it came out and the kids had a couple accidents during transport and it was my first foamy and I did the tail surfaces wrong. I double beveled them and they are sloppy. It still flies great though, and hasn't really gotten any heavier. It just needed some mixing adjustments after repairs.

What we have been doing though is getting foam and cutting our own. We may even start airbrushing them. Trobuilt has come new foams, and we ordered the Monte to try out. Every site I go to has new planes every week. It's hard to keep up. We order one and then all cut one from the original to all try it out. I have several I just need powerplants for but have been waiting for the self winds. But I still think a second hellraiser built right will be hard to beat. It is expensive and fragile. What helped alot is a foam transport that holds the plane nose down. Stores in less space also.

Derek
Old 04-02-2005, 09:18 AM
FallingWithStyle

Well I'm sad to hear you're having problems with your HRs. But if you can't avoid treating them roughly I guess you need to find more sturdy birds. Or cheaper to replace birds.

Maybe try some of the EPP foam planes.

Good luck and happy flying
Clark
Old 04-03-2005, 12:24 AM
tylerman

Too late-I am currently working on a tensor and it is BAD
Old 02-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Shawn Woelfel
My Feedback: (3)

I just Inherited a Pre-built Hell Raiser. I am just curious to know what battery would be best for this plane? I have 2208/34 AXI motor installed. I also have a CC Phoenix 10 ESC in it. I have no clue about electric due to the fact that I Fly nitro up until now. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 03:29 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

I use a Appogee 830 3C with mine, it is the recommendation from Mike at Horsefly Hobbies.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
derekandjennys

I wouldn't use anything bigger than a 730 Pro lite pack. It has been a while but I always liked the Kokam 340 packs in the Hell Raiser.

Derek
Old 02-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Shawn Woelfel
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the help guys. I am gonna go with the apogee. This plane looks fun!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:01 PM
FallingWithStyle

TP 730 gives me about 10 mins of hard 3d, 12 mins of mixed flying, and it flies very "light" on the wing. With your setup youll want to use a 10x3.8 APC prop too.

Cheers
Clark