Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

New pilot needs advice.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New pilot needs advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:29 PM
esc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New pilot needs advice.

Hi, I am just returning to RC model aircraft after a lay off of some 20 years. I have been practicing hard on Real Flight G3 to re-hone my rusty skills prior to flying my first 3D plane, which will be a 3-D Buddy Cap 232.

On and off I have been a modeler for 46 years. I went through the early days of valves & rubber driven escapements, reeds, galloping ghost and finally into using modern FM equipment. I have experience of boats and have competed for 10 years with model cars, both electric and IC. My real love are planes. The more agile the better!

Assuming that I don't come too badly unstuck with this first plane I am looking forward to trying several others. One I am particularly interested in is the Hyperion Yak 55SP 10e. Does anyone have any experience of this model flying 3D aerobatics? I would value your opinion.

Going back to the 3-D buddy, I have opted for the Atpro 20-22L 4200 motor the retailer suggests along with his 4.46:1 gearbox. However, I was wondering if anyone has tried any other in-runner or out-runner motors on this airframe with success?

I couldn't find anyone selling Li-Po batteries that matched the manufacturer's specs, so I went for Thunder Power 1320mAh 11.1v 13C packs at 82grams. I hope these will be OK?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Dave

Old 09-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New pilot needs advice.

We would like to help you get restarted but your questions require that we know about specific motors and planes that are not familiar to many. In general terms if the 3d Buddy weighs 15 ozs a 100 to 150w motor will do the job. A 3 cell lipo pack puts out 12v takes 8 to 12 v to get the watts rqd. Your TP1320 3 cell is a good pack and will handle short runs up to 200 or more watts. I figure TP 1320 batteries are good for planes up to about 24 ozs but that may be pushing it. I have a Hacker 20-22 on a 23 oz Copperhead Extra that I fly with the TP1320s and the plane will accelerate straight up. Of course you have to watch how much prop load you run with a particular motor/esc/battery combo. I run a 10x5 on the Hacker. You can probably run a larger prop on the geared motor. Eg I run a 12x6 on a HIMAX 2015-4100 with 6.6:1 gears on a 15 oz plane.I have to decrease the prop to 10x6 with 5:1 gears. So its all a little messy. If you have questions fire away.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:43 PM
esc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New pilot needs advice.

Hi Jack,

Nice to hear from you, I was beginning to wonder if I was wearing the wrong deodorant

I have not yet received my Ultra RC 3-D Buddy Cap 232, so an AUW is difficult to assess. I have read posts on this forum that question the manufacturer's figures about the weight of this plane.

I have ordered the exact same motor, gearbox, propeller and ESC combination specified by Ultra RC. However, they list a 1500mAh battery pack with dimensions and weight that I could not find anywhere in the world and is out of stock, so I opted for the TP 1320's because they were lighter and seemed a good compromise on size, weight and capacity. The prop that Ultra RC supply is a 10 x4.7. It seems to perform very well in their video's. I made a mistake in my post - the motor is an ATPro iX Series 20L-4200.

The specs on this motor are:

Turns: 19T
Voltage: 7-10 cells
2-3 Li-poly
KV: 4200 RPM/V
Internal resistance: 112
Max. Efficiency: 78%
Max. Eff. Current: 5-10A
Shaft Dia: 2.3 (2.0)mm
Shaft Length: 10 mm
Motor size (mm): Dia22 x L36
Weight: 53g

I actually bought two 3D Buddies, the second one is a Katana. It is this one that I would like to experiment with and try an outrunner direct drive motor on. As I am quite new to electrics I don't know much about motor/propeller combinations, what will work and what won't, so I am throwing this question open to anyone with experience of this type of set up. I am not really interested in a tame plane, I want unlimited vertical performance. What do you suggest guys?

Thanks,

Dave