Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Its Here!! Double Vision

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Its Here!! Double Vision

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Its Here!! Double Vision

Not one problem so far...
Old 08-08-2006, 08:21 PM
dbcaster

I read on another website that when Chip was asked about the CA hinges he said if one comes out he would replace the plane and build the new one. I don't know if that is true but it sounds like he is very sure of them.

I have a question for all of those with the new SE version. Has anyone figured out an easy way to install and remove the top wings with the new fixed pins?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Maudib

Since it's not in writing, it's more of a confidence statement than a guarantee...

But seriously... they are working out just great... It's not a bad idea to check the hinging from time to time regardless of hinge type.

This plane does NOT have hinge blocks inside the trailing edge, and thus was designed for the CA hinges... if I WERE to use something other than CA hinges... it would be pinned flat hinges (like Kletts) So I got maximum glue contact.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 PM
niceflattop

Just a quick poll.

Should I run a wax pen ("crayon") over the center of the hinge surface to keep the CA from making the center too brittle during the gluing up? Or does it even matter? I've heard it both ways. All answers are welcome!!!

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:39 AM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

Dido on the linkage set up it works good as Maudib has said. One thing I did on all my clevise ends was to put some heat shrink tubing around them to keep them from spreading open. The hinges are a different story. I used the Dubro heavy duty cotter pined hinge then pined them in. I NEVER use the Ca hinges. I have seen to many airplanes go in because of the CA hinges let go. I had CA hinges on some of my planes a few years back and after 2 flying seasons I stared having some of the hinges start breaking at the bend line. Luck for me I caught it before a few more let go. My 2 cents.

I have both the new and older version. On the new SE the best way to put the wings on are to put the upper and lower halfs togather then slide the two halfs togather on the fuse. It faster then the older wing set up going togather and coming appart. some guys leave the wing half upper and lowers togather so when you get to the field it only takes a couple min. and its all togather.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:09 AM
pjw_75
My Feedback: (2)

I mounted the control horn with a slight angle also with the servo arm at 40 degrees, I don't get any binding and I have same travel both directions. I choose not to use the clevis and installed a 4-40 ball link instead. I do agree with the Maudib, if the control horn is not mounted in the correct angle you will have binding issues. I also am installing 1/2 ply spacers to the standoffs they proved with the kit as Maudib did with his. This thread has been very helpful to me on determing what method to use.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
thor3101

I would love to see other pics of your setup on the double vision. Please send me pics
Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 PM
BocaBen

I used the original control horns and angled them to reduce binding.
One of the horn ball bearing on the bottom aileron failed after 3 flights, leading to potential flutter if I had not seen it on the ground. Since then, I replaced them all with a brass bushing made on my mini lathe.
My opinion (and it's only mine as someone will come in saying that it's not a problem to them) is that due to the single cylinder vibrations being absorbed by the wings, the bearings are not sized correctly to be worry free.
And yes, my prop is correctly balanced.

Regards,
Ben
Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 AM
lazy eight
My Feedback: (389)

Bocaben I had the same thing happen on one of my aileron horns. I found it after a day of flying. I ordered a new horn and installed it and no problem since. I think some of them my have had bad bearings and the balls just fell out. I really think that the ball ends are much better than the bearing in the horn. But I,m using the stock set up any way. I have seen some guys take the bearing out and run the ball ends in the horn. If I get a nother one to fail thats the way I,m going with mine.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:12 PM
niceflattop

I am trying to decide on the engine that I want to put into my DV. I am wondering if a DA50 will be enough at my 4900ft in ele. Does anyone have video of their DV flying with a 50cc or anything at this altitude? I've had 100 people tell me that a 50cc will be plenty and then I find out that they are flying in Florida. I'm here to tell you when you have to put a Super Tigre 90 in a 5 lb. plane to get it to go unlimited @ full throttle it makes you wonder what your going to have to use to get your DV to hover at half throttle. Please Please share it with me I would hate to buy the wrong engine...again. I don't know....maybe a DA100..... Sorry but if you have never flown at this altitude you cannot comprehend. It's a killer!

Someone throw me a life line here! (and a video to [email protected] )

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Maudib

You might not be happy with a 50cc engine at 4900 ft. t's awesome at 800 ft ASL... but even then I'd like a TAD more power.

Problem is, you're not oging to fit anything else on the nose unless youleave the cowl off... Maybe a ZDZ 60.

ANother option is to go bonkers and try and lighten one up. I have a second one that I am stripping and lightening all I can... CF wingtubes, gear, tailwheel, lipos... the works...

My stock built is 17-17.25 lbs... My goal is 16.25 lbs... If you've seen a 17.25 lb plane fly with a DA50 at your altitude... then you have an idea...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:00 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

NICEFLATTOP
i don't want to sound like know it all, but you will not be happy with a da 50 at 4900 ft.i am at 950 asl. and want to try a MVVS 58 in mine, at 17 lbs. with a da 50 it just gets the job done,it flies good with the da, but pull out of a hover is slow, it does have good unlimited vertical. only thing about going with a bigger engine you add wing load and take away the great 3d flying of this plane. i will wait to see if Maudib can get his weight down.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Maudib

Don't wait for me... this is a winter project...

I do have the gear and wingtubes though and they only save a little over 5 oz.

I expect to save 4 oz off the fuse...

So lotsa work...

And I have so many other things to do this year... so it WON'T be even looked at til the snow flies...
Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 AM
closetguy

MAUDIB
i have lots of time.ENJOY!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Well, I just recieved my DV and will be using a DA50, but I'm at 300' MSL.

If you are not in too much of a hurry, you could wait for the BME-55 and cram EVERYTHING as far forward as you can, then you'd get more power and less weight. But the BME-55 may or may not ever show up.... ( I think I called Keith to be put on the waiting list back in 11/03[] )
Old 08-26-2006, 06:50 PM
closetguy

AIRBIKE
i know the BME 55 looks real good,the last list i went on was for the EF 50cc YAK i swore after waiting almost a year and hearing another two months to many times and never did show, the HELL with any list,but that is just me. wait till you start doing walls then into a hover with the DV you will love it, they are to easy!this has got to be one of the best 3d bipes out there, i going to try the GP ULTIMATE next heard a lot of good things about it.
ENJOY!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:05 PM
kaseyk1

Hey Closetguy,

If it doesn't rain you just might see another DV at your fun fly tomorrow.

Terry
Old 08-27-2006, 01:12 PM
closetguy

KASEYK1
did not see any other DV there so i guess you didn't go, thats allrite because i didn't take mine, i thought you could give me some lessones on tail touching with it.i took three trainers with me and sold all of them, now i have room for a GP ULTIMATE next.
ENJOY!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
kaseyk1

Closetguy,

After it stopped raining it looked way too windy here. Had the DV charged and ready but changed my mind. My next few Saturdays are tied up. You at your field on Sundays or during the week?

Terry
Old 08-27-2006, 04:59 PM
closetguy

TERRY
satrday mornings club meets, and i am there on sundays also, the jet guy's come on sundays too.when i say the club meets that is about six guy's and three bring planes to fly.lots of open flying.and i fly during the week when i am not busy at work.your rite it was windy at the fly in.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:45 PM
niceflattop

So what your all saying is that none of you fly at this altitude? Bummer. On my own again... thanks for the response anyway!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 PM
dbcaster

I am getting ready to maiden my DV but I have a question. This is my first gasser and first real 3D plane. Can the plane handle a full throttle horizontal run, or do I need to be careful with throttle management and ripping the plane apart?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:00 PM
dbcaster

I forgot to add I am running a DA 50 with a Xoar 22x8 and a stock DA muffler.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Maudib

Full throttle runs on most aircraft, especially 3D designs aren't usually suggested... THe airframe can EASILY take it...

If you have proper strength servos, tight linkage, sealed hingelines, good gemoetry and no unforseen issues that might start a flutter.

I can't say I have even flown any of my 3D planes full throttle horizontal more than a few seconds to gain speed for pull up maneuvers.

So will YOUR DV handle it? Only you can answer that.

My suggestion is that with any new plane... break it in and become used to it's capabilites. Build up in G-FOrces and speed until you've reached your own personal level of satisfaction. If there IS a failure it will hopefully happen at a speed that allows recovery...

Especially on maiden... I;d suggest you get it up and fly it for no more than 4-5 minutes... trim, loops, rolls, upright and inverted flight, a few positive and negative snaps at low speed.

Then start shooting landings. When you get a nice glide... keep a tad bit of throttle on here at first... or be ready to blip the throttle a few times during that last 4-5 feeet of glide path. You'll find this as most bipes will suddenly bleed that last little bit of speed off rather quick... Not a smooth bleed curve like a cleaner monoplane... But a decent glide up to 80%-90% then it expontntially loses speed and lift. A few blips at that 4-5' mark will ensure a clean decent.

THEN onspect the plane closely. All screews, servos screws, linkage, control horns, engine, muffler bolts, etc... Then do so after each of the following 3-4 flights (full length flights) to make sure berything is tight... each flight get faster and harder.

But most of all enjoy... the DV's best characteristics come in the hogh alpha department. It's not necessarily a super clean, high speed airframe... but simply has no equal in low and slow amneuvers...

EnjoY!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:49 AM
dbcaster

Maudib,
Thanks for the info. The main reason I was curious about a full throttle run was because of engine tuning. I spoke to someone at DA and they said to check the high speed needle setting by doing a full speed horizontal run and seeing if the engine rpm fell off. I was concerned with this because of the airframe and the fact that I have read that 3D planes are not really made for high speed flight. The main thing I need to do is fly it and see how it feels from there. I have my needles set at the factory recommendation and it seems pretty good on the ground. I guess I just need to fly it and see how it is in the air. I flew a 60 sized Ultimate a few years ago so I am some what familiar with bipes but it has been awhile.
I am just waiting on my Lions to come in and I will be ready to maiden. How necessary is it to run a redundant receiver pack. I have ordered three 2400 Fromeco Relion packs. One for the ignition, and two for the receiver. I just need to get one more regulator for the receiver if two is necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.