Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

inverted flat spin

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

inverted flat spin

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Barricade696

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inverted flat spin

I have a gp 40 size extra 300. The plane flies great and I can do almost any manuver with it but the inverted flat spin. If anybody out there think they can walk me through this manuver step-by-step It would be great. Thanks
Old 09-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Joe B.
My Feedback: (1)

Here's how I do it. From flat level flight, pull up and do a half loop. At the top you will be inverted and when up there move both sticks towards the antenna (full throttle, right rudder, left aileron and down elevator). Depending on the plane, it should spiral about two revolutions then settle into a nice spin. My H9 Cessna 182 does it suprisingly flat although some planes I've seen didn't seem to settle into the spin as flatly for whatever reason.

- Joe
Old 09-16-2002, 06:13 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Joe B gave one good way. Here is another VERY EASY WAY to do it. Take the plane straight vertical, go up a ways. Back off the throttle to idle. Just before she starts sliding backwards, take the rudder/throttle stick to the lower right corner and put the ele/aileron stick in the upper left corner.

At this point you are full down elevator, full left aileron, full right rudder and NO throttle . This will start the inverted spin. Let it go for a couple of revolutions then make it flat.

To make it a FLAT spin, start adding throttle AND creeping the ailerons over to the other side . How much throttle and opposite aileron is up to you and the plane. Leave the rudder all the way right and the elevator shoved forward. If it is capable of a flat spin, it will flatten out nicely with opposite aileron and the addition of some throttle.

I have a planes that will flat spin like crazy doing exactly this. Some will enter in many other ways, but this way will work for most anything capable.

-Cheech
Old 09-18-2002, 01:43 AM
3Dfalcon

The key with most planes is exactly what Ceech said,once the plane is rotating start sliding the aleron control to the opposite side. This works for inverted and upright flatspins and makes them flatter. hope this helps
Old 09-18-2002, 12:19 PM
tdean71
My Feedback: (13)

Doug?
Old 09-18-2002, 12:35 PM
hoveralot

Default Flat spins

I´m not sure if that airplane is capable of doing a flat spins, i have flown two GP .40 300's but none of them are able to flat the spin, I can do flat spins with my Four star 40, GP Giles 46, Fun fly profile and some other airplanes but this one just don´t flatten the spin even with a saito .73 (or similar) in the nose, we tried to move CG but it didn´t help, use more travel but no way Jose.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something else is to have a TON of rudder throw.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:52 PM
drandles
My Feedback: (8)

I was going to say a ton of down elevator. Even my 33% Cap 232 will not flatten out on low rates.

I flip it to high rates (on all surfaces) when I want to do inverted flat spins. High rates is about 43 degrees up and down on my Cap.

As they have posted above, once the plane is coming down inverted play back and forth with both the throttle and the aileron to find where your particular plane likes to flat spin the best.

Dale
Old 09-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Cheech

I have planes that flat spin like crazy and some hardly do it at all. In the flat spin like crazy category I have[list=1][*]The Modeltech Magic - wow, unbelievable crazy inverted flat spin to within a few feet of the ground[*]SIG Extra 300XS - 1/4 scale Moki 1.8 powered. Pretty flat[*]Saito 180 powered Profile Extra from Aeroworks . Not as crazy as the Magic, but flat as a pancake[/list=1] A couple that don't or didn't were[list=1][*]The Tower UPROAR, just wouldn't do it[*]My Goldberg Chipmunk. Flattens, but descends too fast[/list=1]

-Cheech
Old 09-18-2002, 02:10 PM
f2racer

Default Upright flat spin?

Originally posted by Cheech
At this point you are full down elevator, full left aileron, full right rudder and NO throttle . This will start the inverted spin. Let it go for a couple of revolutions then make it flat.

To make it a FLAT spin, start adding throttle AND creeping the ailerons over to the other side . How much throttle and opposite aileron is up to you and the plane. Leave the rudder all the way right and the elevator shoved forward. If it is capable of a flat spin, it will flatten out nicely with opposite aileron and the addition of some throttle.
Does this mean to make a plane do an upright flat spin, the only difference is to give the plane full up elevator?
Old 09-18-2002, 02:18 PM
Cheech

Does this mean to make a plane do an upright flat spin, the only difference is to give the plane full up elevator?
Yep, usually. Strangely though, it doesn't work that way with the MAGIC, a high wing fun fly plane. If you hold UP elevator, LEFT aileron and RIGHT rudder, it will enter an inverted spin. I thought it was weird the first time I did it. I was expecting it to be uprihght. Instead it entered and even flatter, sort of tumbling flat spin. It works every time. That "UP elevator, LEFT aileron and RIGHT rudder" spin entry has become my preferred way to spoin that particular plane.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:25 PM
TriadSport

Default Uproar Flat Spin

Cheech mentioned he could not get his Tower Uproar to falt spin. Mine would not either until I added and inch the rear of the rudder, and added all the throw I could get to both the elevator and rudder on high rates. It will now flat spin upright or inverted but seems to love the inverted the most.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:27 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default Flat spin

Just remember, when you're doing an inverted flat spin, you give RIGHT rudder, and flatten it out with RIGHT aileron. When doing a regular flat spin, you give LEFT rudder, and flatten it out with RIGHT aileron again.
I have and have had planes, where I've had to feather all but the rudder input to obtain a flat spin. If I gave full elevator, it would tumble out, if I gave full full aileron, it would roll out. Having the plane good and tail heavy and lots of throw on rudder is a good start. Also, feathering the throttle will some times make the flat spin better, spinning more around its CG.
DKjens
Old 09-18-2002, 05:49 PM
Shapedlocket

Default Lol

Im new to rc flying,, i can do it without even trying....
all i have to do it take off..
Ill get 1 flying one day lol...
Old 09-19-2002, 03:08 AM
Nex
My Feedback: (2)

Holy cow Cheech! You explanation was great and I can kinda manage to get that inverted flat spin going.

We need more posts like this to help people like me who don't know how to move the sticks