Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What next?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next?

I'm lookin around for a new 3D airplane. I would like to stay away from profiles but if that what if thats the best then i'll got that way. But anyways I was thinking moving up in size but now that I think about it $1000+ is alittle on the expensive side and it would take me awhile to get that kind of money because i'm 15 and I don't have a job. I want a plane that is REAL 3D maniac like can do KE and hover and rolling circles with out much mixing or its not a handful to do. I was lookin at the ultra-rc katana but I read that thread and it sounds like its a bad airplane. I currently have a Funtana 40. And I really don't want a U-Can-Do because I watched a guy fly one at my field and it just isn't what I want. Maybe I could find a bigger plane in the marketplace for under $600 that doesn't need to much stuff to get it fly. I have read numerous thread about this but I really didn't find anything that helped me out.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:56 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What next?

how much are you looking to spend total? and how big are you thinking?

Old 06-27-2005, 09:57 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

I hate to say it but............... I nvere did own a profile. Then one day I went flying with some guys and I had brought nothing to fy so they let me fly there profile. Boy what fun that was. I was hovering effortlessly and just whippin it around. I Kn ow your *thinking* but there so ugly. You just can't say no till you fly one. I'm lookin to get a MOJO 60 or something for my .61 FX as we speak.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Fletch124

ORIGINAL: drumbum

I'm lookin at spending like $500 to get it in the air maybe more. I would like to move up to a bigger plane from my .40s
Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
YNOT

If you want a true 3D bird, look at the Hype 3D or a Flip 3D. Longer tail moment, thicker airfoil with BIG control surfaces. If you could find a Madness or a Laser 3D (kit) those are both great.

For pure 3D performance avoid a scale bird unless you go big.

OMP has a bird on the way called a Fusion that should be a 3D wizard. Thin fuse, however not a true profile, long tail moment, big control surfaces, however with a pattern type wing. Looks like a wonderful combo. Saw it at Toledo and Joe Nall, tried to by one both times, however they only had protos and wouldn't sell either the 40 size or the 90 size.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Fletch124

Yeah I'm lookin at getting a WH 540T 73" but If that doesn't pan out then I'll get a profile.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:14 AM
drumbum

the wild hare was one of the planes i was going to suggest. the Showtime should be a great 3D performer. i will let you know soon since i bought one. If you are looking for best bang for the buck. I hate to say but the OMP and others profiles will be the way to go
Old 06-28-2005, 09:25 AM
xoon
My Feedback: (3)

get yourself a GASOLINE powered engine. get like a Funtana 90 and but a Roto 25 gas engine on it. jut think, as you get into bigger planes and bigger glow the faster you will burn the fuel, and they are average of $20 per gallon. so moving to gas you save you a bunch of money in the long run and each flight last longer w/ a smalller tank ( gas engine SIP fuel).

my 2 cents
Old 06-28-2005, 12:01 PM
FKY1000

plane + engine + radio = more than 500$

u are looking at a 1/4 scale plane, if u want to 3d.

need powerfull engine, 250$....
plane, 300$....
need hi torke servos, 25$ each..

for about 500$ its gonna be hard, unless u look for a used plane...

ur funtana can do most of the 3d acros already, if u move to a bigger plane, the main advantage is more stability in windy conditions, but if u couldnt master ur funtana, u r not going to get any better at a bigger plane, just my 2 thoughts...
Old 06-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Fletch124

I calculated the total for what it would take for me to get a WH in the air would be about $900. Now I just have to find a job. Yes having a gas engine would definetly be a better choice but there heavier than glow engines and more expensive.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
lomcevek1

However if you plane to fly a lot then the cost of glow fuel will eat you alive with a large glow engine. just some thought
Old 06-28-2005, 03:58 PM
3D-kid330

Thats very true. $3 per flight on a Moki. I'd go gasoline, so shop around for the best deals on bigger stuff. They are a lot more stable. The deals are out there if you look around hard enough.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:21 AM
FKY1000

ORIGINAL: 3D-kid330

Thats very true. $3 per flight on a Moki. I'd go gasoline, so shop around for the best deals on bigger stuff. They are a lot more stable. The deals are out there if you look around hard enough.
hi brandom, i havent seen u for a while, are u flying at another club??
u just missed 3 weeks ago when i crashed my funtana when i was torke rolling 3 feet of the ground and run out of fuel!!!
but now the plane is already fixed and i rebuild the rudder making it much bigger than before, i flew it last weekend, now it flys like another plane...
harrier are very solid, and the rudder is much more powerfull in the hovering maneuver!!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Fletch124

but now the plane is already fixed and i rebuild the rudder making it much bigger than before, i flew it last weekend, now it flys like another plane...
harrier are very solid, and the rudder is much more powerfull in the hovering maneuver!!!!

What about Knife Edge?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:52 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

OMP 65 Yak ARF. It will do everything 3D. Hover and torqur roll effortlessly. Flat spins lose no altitude. ZERO coupling in knife edge at any angle/speed. Mine is the kit and weighs just under 7 lbs with the YS 110. I may still order the ARF as a backup. I like it that much. Do a search on here and see what others have to say about this plane.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Fletch124

The only part i'm not liking is the YS110, there way to expensive for me
Old 06-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Bob101

Whoever is paying $3 per flight on a moki is doing something wrong. Moki's run great (if not best) on fuel with around 5% nitro. Locally here that runs $8 per gallon and I buy it by the case. I get about 12-16 flights otu of a gallon on my planes depending on if I putz around or I hover the entire flight.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:47 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fletch124

ORIGINAL: drumbum

I'm lookin at spending like $500 to get it in the air maybe more. I would like to move up to a bigger plane from my .40s
You can fly this for about $500 total investment:

http://www.raidentech.com/3dgi20240nig.html

You can buy the plane here for $89.00 and have it shipped FedEx Ground for another $10. Thats $100 for the plane.

Put this engine in it:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR78&P=0
Thats $90 for the engine.

Use these servos for the ailerons and elevators (4 servos):

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH296&P=0
Thats $120 for the elevator and ailerons servos

And this servo for the rudder:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH299&P=0
Thats $52

And this for the throttle:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH290&P=0
Thats $25

We're up to $385 so far..............

Let's get a reciever for this baby:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN533&P=0
Thats $52

And a battery:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLX49&P=0
Thats $20

You need 5 servos extensions 12" each:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL291&P=0
Thats about $23

We're up to about $475 so far........

You need to replace the wire main gear with a good set of aluminum gear:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSF60&P=0
Thats $12.50
You'll need to cut about 1" off each side to make it fit the fuse width,,but it takes about 2 minutes with a hacksaw. Use 8-32 X 3/4" bolts and blindnuts. You'll need to install a larger 1/4" hard ply plate in the belly of the fuse--to bolt up this gear, but trust me when I tell you that you don't want to use the stock wire gear.

The tail has a wire skid and it's difficult to stear on the ground. So........

You need a tailwheel:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFV47&P=0
Thats $7.50

Thats about $495 to get this bird up and flying.

You'll need a few other things--but I'm assuming you've got some thin CA and other building and assembling tools.

How does it fly?

Like SEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's AWESOME!! I was hovering on my second flight. I'd NEVER tried 3D before flying this plane. Hovering on my 2nd flight and torque-rolling on my 4th flight.

Harriers around the 10th flight. It is pretty darn stable in a harrier. Wing rocks a little bit--but it's very easy to correct.

It does tuck towards the belly during knife-edge flight, but it's so minimal that I don't even mix it out. I just fly it.

It does blenders. Doing a Wall/Terminator is absolutely SICK. You just slow it down a bit and then HOG on the elevator. It will stop dead and POP right into a hover without snapping. Gotta be quick on the throttle

I love this plane. And it's CHEAP to fly. I made a few mods to mine. I'm actually on my second one of these planes. I ripped the FW out after about 75 flights on my first one. On this one--I cut the FW out with an Exacto knife. Took about 2 minutes to cut it all out. I traced it and re-cut a new FW on 1/4" hard-ply. Expoxied it in with plenty of tri-stock and it is SOLID.

The main gear needs to be replaced, and I figured that into your budget.

I mounted my engine sideways on the first plane and threw the cowl in the trash. It was kinda ugly without a cowl.

On this second plane I'm mounted inverted. It just barely fits inside the cowl, but it fits.[:-] I'm using a RamTek on-board glow system--because the engine is inverted. Thats an additional $42--but worth every penny.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDZ82&P=7

Buy a bottle of Monokote Trim Solvent. The covering looks cool- but it's cheap Chinese covering and it likes to come un-stuck on the corners and seams. I just wipe the oil residue off and slap it back down with some Monokote Trim Solvent.

It's my favorite little 40 size plane. I'm flying at 8000' and hovering this plane at 1/2 throttle with a Pro Zinger 13-5 prop and 5% fuel turning 14,000RPM

You could probably get away with a smaller engine at lower altitude. But, most of the 60 size engines weigh as much or more than the .75 engine--so why not go for the HP if your gonnna have that much weight on the FW???? It's cheap enough--and they run pretty darn good. I own 2 of the TH .75 engines.

I'd buy the .75 engine and go easy on the throttle stick. You WILL ABSOLUTELY tear this plane apart with that much power in Reno---but not if your sensible about how you handle the throttle stick. Aren't you about 4000' or 4500' elevation??

As I said, I'm hovering at 1/2 throttle up here at 8000' elevation. I can shoot out of a hover in a hurry. It goes straight up and it gets really small--really quick. I NEVER use full throttle--except when I'm going vertical. Even then, only for a 3 or 4 second burst. I'm afraid that I'd rip it apart if I slammed the throttle and held it for very long.

I beefed up my LG and my LG mount. I replaced the FW with 1/4" hard-ply. I added a steerable tailwheel. And I put WAAAAAY too much engine on it.

It weighs 5 pounds with an empty tank. It lands at a CRAWL, and it does all the 3D I can muster--which ain't much BTW[:-].

If it's not overloaded at 8000' with this setup--imagine how great it will fly where you live--in all that thick, dense air[&:].

And it costs about $500--$550.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 AM
3D-kid330

Hey Felix, glad to hear you got the Funtana flying good! I have not been at the field that much because my dad was working. I might have the Edge with a smoke system on it next weekend if I can get it going.

Should be cool!

See you at the field,
Brandon

Bob101,

A while ago, my plane was in the ground out of a torque roll because of poor fuel draw even with large diameter tubing. It would overheat all the time, but when I put a fuel reg on it, it ran fine. The thing guzzles fuel though, because it has to be slobbering rich to keep it from overheating. When it is cold I go a bit leaner, but when it is really hot over here I run it way rich for a bit extra insurance.

Brandon
Old 06-30-2005, 03:19 AM
FKY1000

ORIGINAL: Fletch124

What about Knife Edge?
well, knife edge didnt change a bit, it will knife egde witout losing altitude with less rudder imput, but if u want it to climb or is u pull full rudder, its the same as before...

also has more elevator coupling, i used to use 10% mixing, now im at 13%...

the rudder is..... ill sen pics... but 1" higher, 1" longer at the back-top, 2" longer at the back-bottom, 1" lower at the front (so a made the vertical stab 1" smaller)...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97886.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	292018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31006.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	292019  
Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 AM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: Bob101

Whoever is paying $3 per flight on a moki is doing something wrong. Moki's run great (if not best) on fuel with around 5% nitro. Locally here that runs $8 per gallon and I buy it by the case. I get about 12-16 flights otu of a gallon on my planes depending on if I putz around or I hover the entire flight.
$8 for 5%! thats Great! What Moki and plane? What prop and how heavy is the plane?

128oz/12 to 16flights =11oz to 8oz of fuel used per flight. How long do you fly for? I know if I fly low power 3D(like harriers) mileage is great.

Here in the Portland area the best price I can find on 5% is $10.99--it is the same price as 10% and 15% is $11.99(some shops have jumped up to $13 & 15% $14)

At $12.00 a gal it would cost $3.00 a gal if 32oz of fuel were used per flight.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Fletch124

Rcpilet thanks for the info about that Giles, i'm also lookin at the Pacific-aeromodeling edge 540 .40. Everyone says thats an awesome airplane but i'm still in the process of trying to figure out how it does 3D. I'll definetly keep this airplane in mind.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't say a thing about the Pacific Edge 540. Never even seen one.

The 3D Giles is a great value IMO. It's light and it's pretty strong. It's cheap. It's stable. It has huge control surfaces and minimal coupling issues--almost non-existant.

It has a few issues, but they are easily fixed or maintained with minimal effort.

I flew my first one purdy hard and it held together. Only reason I wrecked it was because I got careless with the throttle stick and was taking off at full throttle. Just absolutely YANKING it off the runway. I did eventually--after about 20 times--rip the FW out just as it got about 3' off the runway. SPLAT!![:-]

Cutting the existing FW out was a lot easier than I anticipated. I was thinking it would turn into an all-day nightmare. I had the FW cut completely out--nice and clean--in less than 2 minutes with my #11 exacto knife. I had a new one cut and glued in within an hour. And I don't have some big fancy shop with all the newest powertools. I did it with a jigsaw, a palm sander, an exacto knife, some tri-stock and some 30 minute epoxy.

I just got my 6th flight on plane #2 today. It flies that same as the first one. I flew today at 10,469' elevation. I had to use about 3/4 throttle to hover, and pull-out was kinda sluggish. It was defintely accelerating, but slower than I was used to at lower elevations.

I may bump my nitro to 10% if I decide to fly close to home anymore.

It's a great plane for the money. It's not perfect top-shelf quality--but it's worth the money. It's a cheap knock around plane that will do 3D without any problems.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Fletch124

From you say I bet that its a good airplane. I don't know maybe one day i'll get one and see what you were talking about.

heres a few pics of the PAM edge 540T .40, they also have a 60 size that looks the same.

The last two pics are of a PAM edge 540, not sure if its a .40 at this time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42970.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	292320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92294.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	292321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79086.jpg
Views:	8