Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Spinner help...

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Spinner help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Wozmondio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner help...

Hi guys, i'm putting together a hanger9 funtana 90 with a 120 4 stroke up front, problem with this engine it that the back of the spinner sits about an inch away from the front of the cowl. I dont want to shift the firewall back, so i was wondering if anyone knows of a spinner that recesses back from the back of the prop to help close the gap?? bit of a long shot i know, was thinking of making something but that would take a while...

Cheers
Old 07-06-2005, 08:43 AM
JPal101
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Spinner help...

Something does not sound right here. There are a couple of guys in my club with the same plane with no problem with the spinner location. Tell me more
Old 07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What motor mount and engine are you using? It seems that you should not have a problem getting the engine back to the required distance without cutting up the engine box.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Wozmondio

using an old enya 120R 4 stroke that i've had for a while with an ali mount that i've used with this engine before, but even when i looked at using the stock mount or a different mount i had i have the same problem.

The engines carb is located at the back of the engine, so even once i've mounted the engine at the most rearward position on the mount the prob shaft pokes out of the cowl quite far...so when i put the back plate of the spinner on im left with this gap...bad times, never mind, guess i'll have to deal with it.

people who are using saito 120's, 150's and 180's must be having the same problem, unless this engine is just particularly long!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:20 PM
thedak
My Feedback: (21)

Just move the cowl up. Use wood blocks on the firewall to screw it onto.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think the instructions would specify how far it should be from the firewall to back of the spinner backplate. You usually put the spinner backplate on the engine and the engine on the installed motor mount and take a measurement to set the engine at the right spot in the mount according to the instructions,,, and then mark it to drill the holes. Sounds like you mounted the engine too far out on the mount to me. A 120 should fit under the cowl and line up just fine...
Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

I'm running an OS 120 in my Funtana 90 with no problem. The OS has a pump and carb on the back. The engine is almost touching the firewall. With this set up I have 1/8 " clearance from the spinner back plate to the cowl. I believe the spinner is a great Planes ( one I had laying around).
The original pre drilled holes with the blind nuts did not work with this configuration. I had to glue a couple 3/8 X 1/4 hard wood strips on the front of the firewall and drill for new blind nuts. This allowed me to move the cowl a little forward without the holes being to close to the edge of the cowl. I picked up about 1/4 " by doing this.
What is the length of you engine from the back to the back side of the spinner back plate? I'll measure mine and we'll compare. If your engine is old it could be big and bulky.
For example a club member has an older OS 120 and its physically a bigger engine than mine but the same cubes.

K.O.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:14 PM
mikeboyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This plane has an engine box on it. You may have room to put a hole in the mounting wall so you can move the engine back on the mount. We have to do that often with rear carb. gas engines. Just make sure you seal the inside of the engine box to protect from the glow fuel.

Sure sounds like a frustrating ordeal. Good luck.