Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Maxair Revolution II Velox

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
volksman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxair Revolution II Velox

i recently purchased a velox and did my first flights with an old ys 120 sf. nice. then i went to work on my rotten rcs 140, finally sucess. more power than the 120, almost unlimited vertical. but not a speed wagon . just a nice nice flyer on gasoline. best landing model ive ever flown also the best slow flyer. rolls like its on a wire but i cant get a knife edge loop. the rcs still is too rich on the low needle and doesnt like it when i go inverted. this is in the float lever i think. best its ever worked great combo the velox and the rcs
Old 08-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Ramz

Here's some pictures of the velox in action with the Evolution 26GT. I should have some video of the plane soon...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61044.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	505461   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43753.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	505462  
Old 08-11-2006, 03:27 AM
reynolds74

Hi guys,
anybody tryed the Velox with the SPE 26?
I'm pretty interested in this combo, I have the chance to get it for a reasonable price, and I love gassers.

Thanks.

Andrea
Old 08-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Ramz

SPE26? Do you mean FPE26? (as in First Place Engines?)
Old 08-12-2006, 12:41 AM
reynolds74

BCMA-SPE26, sorry.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:55 AM
reynolds74

The FPE has only the 1.3ci(21 cc), and 2.4ci(40 cc), or bigger. The BCMA-SPE is 5 ounces lighter than the FPE 1.3, coming at 38 oz including ignition and muffler. Not so far from a Yamada 110 or a Saito 125.
Moreover it seems they're working really good, and for a cheap price.
You can have a look here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3967906/tm.htm

http://www.bcmaengines.clearwire.net/BCMA26.htm

Bye.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:05 AM
reynolds74

You can also see the SPE 26 in action in this video, flying a SU-31 with similar characteristics as the Velox, concerning dimensions and weight. It seems it has enough power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vErQx1bmtE&search=hobby
Old 08-12-2006, 03:03 AM
reynolds74

Another thing I'm curious about: if you want to compare the Funtana 90 and the Velox, what would you say?

Bye.

Andrea
Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

reynolds74...

I have a Velox and I've had a Funtana 90. I tried the Funtana with a Saito 150 and then with the YS110. My Velox is powered by the YS110.

There is no comparison in the way the two fly. The F90 is a lousy airplane. It is overweight, weighing between 9.5 and 10 lbs. Mine weighed 9lbs 7ozs after a lot of weight considerations. My original weight was almost 10lbs. The Velox weighs 8lbs 14 ozs right out of the box. The Funtana is very fragile. If you overspeed it in the slightest it develops flutter and will tear the ailerons off. The tail wheel is junk and the main landing gear is too light. The tail braces broke almost every time I flew the plane. I flew my F90 over 40 times and never got comfortable with it. To this day it is my most hated plane. It will no knife edge, is hard to hover, and the spins are decent but not that great. It flys so tail heavy that I could hardly get it to land. Overall my F90 experience was poor. I finally just gave the plane away I became so frustrated.

The Velox, on the other hand, flys like it's on rails. Right out of the box it works. I needed to reinforce some area with glue where it vibrated apart, but not anything like the Funtana. It's is a pretty tough airplane. I got "wind slapped" the other day and "pancaked" the Velox from about 15' up. Didn't do a thing to it. I had to bend the landing gear back in place and glue a couple of joints that poped loose but no real damage at all. It's pretty tough. The Velox is the best knife edge plane I've flown. It has zero coupling when I go to the left and just the slightest amount when I go right. I use no mixes whatsoever and I can KE from horizon to horizon. One day we had a stiff wind and I was doing a KE hover. Just hovering right in front of me about 15' off the runway. Pretty cool. (you don't see that every day) The Velox is compact in doing waterfalls. It will rotate right on the wing tube and hardly loose any elevation. It is a medium easy plane to hover. My UCDs are easier and maybe the Showtime. But it's easy and will torque roll nicely also. The flat spins are beautiful and very flat and it will "pinwheel" pretty fast but will not do a rising flat spin. It will drop pretty slowly if you do everything just right. They're nice. The Velox will fly precison beautifully as well. You can speed up to pretty decent speeds with no worries. Nothing flys apart and it flys "on rails". The Velox is an excellent lander as well. No worries there. It floats a bit and comes in on 3 points but doesn't give any feelings of fear or panic. You just come in and land. It's a non issue. Ground handling requires a lot of up elevator to keep from nosing over but that is the only thing. Any manuevers that require a lot of rudder authority are good with the Velox. It has a great rudder. I only use medium rates on Knife Edge and even then don't use all the available throws. It will do a high alpha slow KE as pretty as any plane I've ever seen. I really try to get low with them now and routinely do them within 10 feet of the ground. Easy.

I really hated the Funtana and really love my Velox. That said, recently I've seen a Funtana I thought was pretty nice. It weighs over 10lbs and has a Saito 180. It has an extra 6 ozs of lead in the nose to get it to balance and has all the surfaces reinforced. It has carbon fiber landing gear and many other modifications. It flys good. But it's not what is advertised. And it still is a slow flyer only and will not KE.

My comparison....Is no comparison. The Velox wins this battle in every catagory. There is no place the Funtana is better, and the Velox is better in every area.

Thanks
Barry
Old 08-12-2006, 02:01 PM
reynolds74

Thank you very much Barry,

you just made clear my decision: I will go with the Velox! Even easier, as I can get the the Velox + SPE 26 combo for a very good price (I'm working in China these days...). I think there's margin to carry a gasser in.
You know, the Funtana have always been my favourite, for the design and for a couple of videos I saw, but I didn't buy it yet because in Italy the price is almost prohibitive for such a plane (330€....[]) and buying it abroad cannot solve the problem due to shipping cost and custom fees. But now I can choose and I already did it.
Moreover I like KE around the sky, lower and lower. I flew for a while two Ripmax Extreme 3D (one with a TT Pro 46 and one with a TT 50 Hely, great engines, moreover the 50, ndr..), KEing horizon to horizon at 3ft... During meeting is always something interesting to show.....
BTW, the SPE 26 is not heavier than the Evolution 26..

Thank you again.

Andrea
Old 08-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Barry Cazier

I think you'll like the Velox.

Most of the good videos I've seen of the Funtana were of Kyle flying it. He can make any plane look good. But he would make the Velox look good also. I can tell you...for the average pilot the Velox will fly much MUCH better than the F90.

You won't be sorry for your choice.

Thanks
Barry
Old 08-19-2006, 08:06 PM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

Have You looked @ the price lately? Marked down a full $100.00 US. I payed full price just 2 months ago!!!![:@]
I wonder whats coming in next?
How about a hint?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Barry Cazier

That's a good price on a very nice plane. Makes me wonder a bit about what's coming next too.

Could be interesting.

Thanks
Barry
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Barry Cazier

Here's a couple of pictures of my Velox in action. I rarely get pictures of my airplanes flying because I usually fly alone or simply don't have my camera.

Hover and low, high alpha pass.

Thanks
Barry

PS: This plane just keeps impressing me with the way it flys. I'm getting more confident with it and getting it trimmed better with every flight. I have zero coupling on my KE passes. It's pretty easy to hover but not as easy as some (UCD or Showtime). Also, not that I've gotten a few area glued better it's amazing how tough this bird is. Very nice plane indeed.

Name:	Ay74710.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	519401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96480.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	519402   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26594.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	519403  
Old 09-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Barry Cazier

Although not a Velox...here's a picture of my good friend Ron doing the inverted, low, pipeline, pass at one of our flying fields in Rexburg, Idaho.

The name of the game is to go as low and as slow as you can right down the spinkler line. The object is to let the sprinklers hit you plane. Great fun. If you look close you can see Ron's Funtana getting hit with two birds. Amazing sound when you here 60PSI of water pressure hit your plane. Sure beats a crosswind.

Yeah...the Velox got wet too.

Thanks
Barry

Name:	Ki18591.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	519405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36335.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	519406  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Flipper430

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fly RC has a great review of this plane in the September issue.I am seriously looking at ordering this plane and going with a Saito 125.I have downloaded the manual and cannot find what size servos are required,not even the review mentioned what servos they had used.What i really want to know is what is the required torque for the control surfaces.Love the way this bird looks in the air.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:09 AM
aubej
My Feedback: (1)

Barry, those pics are amazing! I'm going to have to put them up on the site.

Flipper, hi-torque servos are recommended. The surface areas are pretty big.

Jason

Old 09-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Barry Cazier

Flipper...

I have HS5945 on the rudder and elevators and HS5645 on the ailerons. I use a mini servo HS85 on the throttle. You would probably be ok with a little less servo but not much. I try never to scimp on servo power. It helps with lack of flutter and keeps the moves very precise.

Jason...

Thanks for the comments on the pictures. I wish I'd have gotten one of the Velox going through the "plane wash". That's a lot of fun and offers plenty of adrenilin rush. I'm not sure I recommend it after thinking about it though. Maybe the recievers will pick up some moisture. But it really didn't seem to get anything wet. Just sounds cool as the rainbirds hit the covering.

I'd love to see them on your website. Feel free to use them if you want.

Thanks
Barry
Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

CANT WAIT TIL CHRISTMAS FELLA'S ! JUST BOUGHT A GAS HYDRO, SO THE WIFE SAYS I GOTTA WAIT FOR SANTA...[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 09-17-2006, 03:10 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

im considering the new OS 120 ax for this bird, it has gotten very high ratings and great custumer reviews, sounds like the perfect fit ?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Barry Cazier

sigman...

My guess is the 120AX would work super on this plane. I have my battery all the way forward on the motor box. You could probably move it inside the fuse with that engine. You certainly wouldn't have to add any weight though. It would be a nice fit.

I'd love to hear how it flys with that engine.

thanks
Barry
Old 09-17-2006, 05:18 PM
reimorei

How do you guys compare the Velox to the Showtime? I´ve got an YS 110 NIB and I´m looking for a 3D plane.
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Barry Cazier

reimorei...

I've had the Showtime and have the Velox. Both were powered by the mighty 110.

I loved the Showtime. I flew it about 50 flights or so. It was a beautiful flying plane and I liked it. I think the only problem I ever had was with the "stalling" or "dead spot" that so many are having with this plane. I think it is a characteristic of the Showtime. About 1/2 of the people who own the Showtime experience this odd "stall" and the other half don't. I personally think they all do it but many don't ever fly the plane slow enough to feel it or don't 3D the plane enough to feel it. Anyways, I like the plane. Mine weighed 8lbs 14ozs. I gave it away to a friend. I still see him fly it some. He has a Saito 150 in it. Yes, he still has the "stall" problem. The carbon fiber landing gear breaks real easy. I repaired mine at least 10 times.

The Velox has a few issues with glue. I had the engine box shake loose and had to reglue it. I've also had the area just behind the firewall pop loose a couple of times. This last time I reinforced it a bit with balsa wood and it seems to be holding much better. This plane is very tough actually. Much tougher than the Showtime. I've "pancaked" it a couple of times and and done no damage. Vibration is a bigger concern but I have those area "fixed" now. The Velox flys even better than the Showtime (although only slightly). It does the best KE of any plane I've ever flown. It does excellent waterfalls and great flat spins. I can do a blender and flat spin it very low but I can't get it to do a rising flat spin. Not quite. But it will almost stop. Rolling circles and hovers are a bit harder than the Showtime but still not that hard. My Velox weighs 8lbs 10ozs. I love the way the cowling attaches. No screws are visable. I love the aluminum landing gear. It will squash but bend easily back into place. It uses a carbon fiber wing tube (the Showtime is aluminum) which saves the weight yet keeps the landing gear sturdy.

If it was my money and I could only have one of these planes...I'd get the Velox. I like it that much. It's an incredible flying airplane. A real sleeper in my mind. I also like the fact that I have the only one I've ever seen. Very unique.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Barry
Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Barry Cazier

Oh one other comment...

The Velox Harriers very nice. The Showtime has quite a bit of wing rock, especially without the SFGs. The Velxo hardly any. It seems to want to pull to the left in Harrier but does them nicely. Probably just operator error but I'm learning.

Thanks
Barry
Old 09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Berwyn Bill
My Feedback: (16)

Barry, BTroll, et al...

I'm getting started on my Velox and have a question. Could you go over what you did as far as gluing in the firewall/motorbox area? It would be nice to do any reinforcements before the plane gets airborne.

Also, I've noticed most are using two 5625s (or 5645s) for the elevators. This seems like overkill for me since the the servos are working in tandem (each only powering half the elevator's surface area). Most of my planes in this size range get only one 5625/5645 for the whole elevator. I'm going to go with a pair of 5245s as I'd love to trim the weight in the tail and I can't imagine the elevator needing more than 152oz of total torque.

Here's how the set-up is looking right now:

YS 110 (or OS 1.20AX if I have trouble with the YS - it's my first one)
JR 720 RX
5625s - Rudder and Ailerons
5245s - elevator
322HD - throttle
2000mAh lipo and MPI 6V reg

So far I've been very impressed with the quality of the ARF. Thanks for all the great info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.