Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are you ready to register your aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
1 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
2 Chicken Wings
1 Slice First and Last cheese/onion pizza.

No wacky tobaccy for this dude. Some crispy bacon would be nice!

I'll bet it even smells good but
Man if I ate that my Cardiologist would have a corney. LOL
Speaking of food gota go check the frig ... Have an AWESOME DAY.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acer3299
Your 110% right
A 5 year old can fly aircraft and helicopters too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LdYvlK6bM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5AzRfh-WMI Then he turned six...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct_-1Z-qYAo
Old 02-14-2016, 07:38 PM
franklin_m

So no comments on the news from the AMA, just a desire for more info on a strategy that has already been employed, and appears to have been successful. So for the 10th time, have you reached out to your new district VP to ask for more details? Wasn't this the guy that was going to do great things for the district, take it in a different way than the prior "no-drone" guy did? What's going on with him, is he not up to speed on what's going on? Does he not know, or is he just not telling?

So far it looks like you and Franklin are clamoring for all these details.......others seem to be happy with the results so far. No big outrage, no more letter campaigns (those died off very quickly), no more change.org protests (dropped off your sig line quickly too)...and of course, nobody stepping up to compete against the AMA. Wonder why that is? Well, we kinda know why that is.....

Oh I know, this is only round one, much much worse is coming. I'll believe it when I see it. Til then I'll just read about all the things that might go wrong, and how horrible the hobby will be because of the AMA.
There's a few points on which I'm confident:
- Near misses with manned aircraft and passenger carrying airliners will not abate
- AMA will continue with the "we're harmless old guys" defense & will not have quantitative mishap data of their own
- FAA/DOT/DHS will be under enormous pressure from the public, legislators, and media to act
- And it won't matter what this or any special rule says, the FAA/DOT will find some legal way to enforce additional restrictions
Old 02-15-2016, 03:49 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

- Near misses with manned aircraft and passenger carrying airliners will not abate
>>>Idiots that don't how to behave with dangerous toys are the problem - focus should be in this area, regulations don't fix law breakers

- AMA will continue with the "we're harmless old guys" defense & will not have quantitative mishap data of their own
>>>Not a problem - they may be ignorant, but for the most part they are harmless

- FAA/DOT/DHS will be under enormous pressure from the public, legislators, and media to act
>>>Certainly

- And it won't matter what this or any special rule says, the FAA/DOT will find some legal way to enforce additional restrictions
>>>True since they are numb-skulls and struggle with wet paper bags
Old 02-15-2016, 05:08 AM
rcmiket

So no comments on the news from the AMA, .
Why bother.

Mike
Old 02-15-2016, 12:50 PM
acer3299

Default Lasers

Originally Posted by Luchnia
>>>Idiots that don't how to behave with dangerous toys are the problem - focus should be in this area, regulations don't fix law breakers

>>>Not a problem - they may be ignorant, but for the most part they are harmless

>>>Certainly

>>>True since they are numb-skulls and struggle with wet paper bags
More REAL problems have occurred by idiots pointing lasers at aircraft. According to CNN today 5300 reports of lasers being aimed at aircraft.
That a hell of a lot more REAL reports than so called " DRONES"
What's our boys in Washington doing about that.
I havent seen any " laser pointer registration" ....have you ????????????
Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

More REAL problems have occurred by idiots pointing lasers at aircraft. According to CNN today 5300 reports of lasers being aimed at aircraft.
Perhaps this will help with your question about laser pointers

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/lasers/laws/

be be sure to read the legal interpretation that explains the regulations that have been violated if a person uses a laser pointer to interfer with a flight crew while they are operating an aircraft.

You may want to check out some of the penalties that been handed down that are also linked on that same web page.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
- Near misses with manned aircraft and passenger carrying airliners will not abate lets see the numbers.....who has them, and are they valid?
- AMA will continue with the "we're harmless old guys" defense & will not have quantitative mishap data of their own Great,keep track of every mishap to hand to the feds. Sounds like a great idea. I can only imagine the outcry from AMA members to that!
- FAA/DOT/DHS will be under enormous pressure from the public, legislators, and media to act Didn't that just happen, and we have a registration now? Oh wait, that's right...more bad news about things to come!
- And it won't matter what this or any special rule says, the FAA/DOT will find some legal way to enforce additional restrictions. They already have "legal ways"....did Pirker just throw money at the FAA to be nice?

Above in blue, nobody likes red or yellow.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:12 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Above in blue, nobody likes red or yellow.
People don't like registration either, but they're doing it with a smile!

I guess the only thing everyone agrees on is Bacon!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:50 PM
HoundDog

8,998 planes hit by lasers since 2009 (Wired UK)Wired.co.uk‎ - 10 hours ago
Old 02-15-2016, 05:59 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Todd D
Perhaps this will help with your question about laser pointers

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/lasers/laws/

be be sure to read the legal interpretation that explains the regulations that have been violated if a person uses a laser pointer to interfer with a flight crew while they are operating an aircraft.

You may want to check out some of the penalties that been handed down that are also linked on that same web page
All the laws Penalties and threat of fines and Jail time hasn't done a thing to stop Laser incidents ... If Criminals could be stopped by threats of Fines and Jail all crime would instantly stop and our jails would become extinct. Same with QUADS (Drones) flying in the path of air liners on final. Nothing will eliminate all Idiots ... Laws are for punishment Only.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:24 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon

At least 335,000 are! Big numbers!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:53 PM
HoundDog

A Long Way from the estimated Million + people flying some sort of R/C TOYs. What do U supposed the FAA will do if 700,000 people don't register and continue to fly?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

And big dollar$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! The government is making a killing on all those who didn't register before the free registration period expired. Not to mention how much they're going to jack it up in three years just in time for the renewals!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 PM
HoundDog

And big dollar$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! The government is making a killing on all those who didn't register before the free registration period expired. Not to mention how much they're going to jack it up in three years just in time for the renewals!
If all Million + left to register that is a pitiful small amount of money 5 Million dollars. It will probably cost more than twice that for the Government to maintain the data base, The government doesn't make money, it spends Your money.
The federal government spends $121,067 per second. At that rate the 5 Million is gone in 41.299 seconds.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by HoundDog
At that rate the 5 Million is gone in 41.299 seconds.
My wife could beat that...
Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 PM
franklin_m

- Near misses with manned aircraft and passenger carrying airliners will not abate lets see the numbers.....who has them, and are they valid?

- AMA will continue with the "we're harmless old guys" defense & will not have quantitative mishap data of their own Great,keep track of every mishap to hand to the feds. Sounds like a great idea. I can only imagine the outcry from AMA members to that!

- FAA/DOT/DHS will be under enormous pressure from the public, legislators, and media to act Didn't that just happen, and we have a registration now? Oh wait, that's right...more bad news about things to come!

- And it won't matter what this or any special rule says, the FAA/DOT will find some legal way to enforce additional restrictions. They already have "legal ways"....did Pirker just throw money at the FAA to be nice?
As for the numbers, when the FAA publishes the next batch, I'll make sure you get a link to them. You mentioned validity. Well, last time FAA published them, they were used by legislators and reported in the media. AMA did an analysis, came to a very different conclusion, and it was barely mentioned anywhere. A university did another analysis, and it too was mentioned by legislators and media. So it appears that two of the three were viewed as credible, one was not. Maybe because it was such a transparent attempt to whitewash the numbers?

On your second point, I maintain that qualitative data (i.e. statements and generalities) vs. quantitative data will always come out in favor of quantitative data. AMA doesn't want to collect data, that's fine. But then you really can't whine when the quantitative data gets used against you.

On the registration, I maintain it's just the beginning. If the near misses keep happening, I suspect the registration will look good by comparison.

On my last point, I was merely commenting on all the places where we continue to beat a dead horse and say that 336 prohibits FAA from doing what they're doing. If it's such a strong case, then why isn't AMA pushing it? Regardless, it hasn't slowed the FAA one bit.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:16 AM
porcia83
Banned

As for the numbers, when the FAA publishes the next batch, I'll make sure you get a link to them. You mentioned validity. Well, last time FAA published them, they were used by legislators and reported in the media. AMA did an analysis, came to a very different conclusion, and it was barely mentioned anywhere. A university did another analysis, and it too was mentioned by legislators and media. So it appears that two of the three were viewed as credible, one was not. Maybe because it was such a transparent attempt to whitewash the numbers?

On your second point, I maintain that qualitative data (i.e. statements and generalities) vs. quantitative data will always come out in favor of quantitative data. AMA doesn't want to collect data, that's fine. But then you really can't whine when the quantitative data gets used against you.
On the registration, I maintain it's just the beginning. If the near misses keep happening, I suspect the registration will look good by comparison.

On my last point, I was merely commenting on all the places where we continue to beat a dead horse and say that 336 prohibits FAA from doing what they're doing. If it's such a strong case, then why isn't AMA pushing it? Regardless, it hasn't slowed the FAA one bit.
Considering the source...that is some funny stuff! LOL!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

If you read them you notice that almost none are validated with a near miss report. Many the pilot wasn't sure what he saw. And many were observations of legal model flights. So the fact that a politician uses information that gives him control, offers no validity whatsoever. In fact almost the opposite.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:54 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

If all Million + left to register that is a pitiful small amount of money 5 Million dollars. It will probably cost more than twice that for the Government to maintain the data base, The government doesn't make money, it spends Your money.
The federal government spends $121,067 per second. At that rate the 5 Million is gone in 41.299 seconds.
Come on Doggie, get the with picture and read the posts here. The AMA is a monopoly, probably larger than any Wall Street bank and they need to be broken up. We can't have only one game in town. Another competitor needs to jump and grab hold of this very lucrative and rewarding line of business. Modelers need a choice!
Old 02-16-2016, 06:16 AM
franklin_m

Considering the source...that is some funny stuff! LOL!
This should not surprise you, I've been a consistent advocate for quantitative data. Credibility in the aviation safety arena is all about being able to prove you're as good as you say you are. It's a world of metrics that include mishap free flight hours, number and type of mishaps, breaches of flight discipline, pilot error, near misses, etc. I do not believe that quoting the number of secondary insurance claims paid is going to cut it against the growing pile of FAA data.

I have advocated a set of metrics to help AMA build their own quantitative data to help counter the FAA data. I'm not saying a lot of people will want to keep data, but I submit that if they want to help prove the hobby is safe, and thus preserve flying rights (and also perhaps PROVE it's not our members), then I think it's necessary.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:21 AM
franklin_m

But it does represent big numbers to the AMA. That 335,000 represents almost 9 MILLION DOLLARS in new membership dues for AMA if they can find a way to use the law to their advantage. That's a lot of incentive.

(335,000 - 180,000 AMA) * $58 per membership = $8.9 million
Old 02-16-2016, 06:32 AM
rcmiket

Dues are $75 a year now.

Mike
Old 02-16-2016, 06:36 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Dues are $75 a year now.

Mike
I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of the dues paying members qualified for the senior discount.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

... If Criminals could be stopped by threats of Fines and Jail all crime would instantly stop ...
How utterly disingenuous. No one ever suggested that "all incidents would stop". Only fools use this argument. Penalties are certainly used to punish but they can also be a deterrent to many people who might not understand the hazards of being stupid. The key word is "many" not "all".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.