Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Crickets....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Crickets....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nevermind.

Last edited by Retiredat38; 02-09-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yes, we are divided by geographic districts, each DVP gets one vote on council along with the NAA rep, EVP, and President.

The Executive Director and CFO are on the board as well.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:23 PM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
As for running, all the open positions in the last election ran unopposed
That is eye-opening.

Has anyone here tried to run? There could be enough "momentum" on this forum to go through the appropriate hoops to get on a ballot (to first become a "leader member", etc.).
Old 02-09-2021, 02:57 PM
BarracudaHockey

I tried to run and won.

It's not like it takes a sacrifice to the Inca gods. Fill out a LM application, it will get forwarded to your DVP the process is pretty simple.

There's a district that has run unopposed several 3 year cycles in a row, if 1 person runs the incumbent can't even run again, we are supposed to term out at a max of 3 consecutive terms (9 years), then I would have to run for EVP or President to stay on the board, assuming I win 2 more elections. The only way to continue after 3 terms is if nobody runs for the district. In fairness Andy Griffith has good name recognition in the south though

The old boy secret handshake crap put forth earlier is just that, crap.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:34 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Propworn
Unopposed?????????????????? There you go Franky and the boys your chance to make a difference throw your hat in the ring. Run for office then you have a toe hold to get your grievances heard. Obviously after all the years and posts on this and other forums haven't you guys realized your not moving forward or accomplishing anything substantial. Even members who agree with you soon fade away because nothing but more rhetoric follows instead of any kind of organized action.
The more you post, the more your ignorance shows.

We elect officials to represent our voices on the EC. Our VP's ARE our voice. It is their DUTY, once elected, to carry our wishes to the EC and to vote OUR conscience. Furthermore, the facts that Franklin has brought to light are NOT grievances, as you call them, they are factual evidence that the entire organization is in jeopardy and reflect gross neglect on the part of AMA leadership.

I take offense regarding your disparaging comments to Hydro as you are not an AMA member either, so as you put it, you might as well just join him in throwing rocks from outside of the playground. The ONLY benefit you gain by being affiliated with MAAC , is the one that allows you to fly in a reciprocal fashion, it does NOT allow you any more or less of an opinion as Hydro.

Astro

Old 02-09-2021, 03:44 PM
astrohog

Can you please clarify your statement? To which "old boy secret handshake crap" are you referring to?

Franklin outlined the path to becoming eligible to run for AMA District VP. Are you saying what he presented is factually incorrect? Franklin DID interject a bit of personal opinion when he stated that EC members don't approve leader members that rock the boat, but can you cite any instances where they have? I really don't think you have a basis to call his assessment crap, unless you are referring to another post where someone made a statement about the, "old boy secret handshake", or can back up your statement with proof of his so called, "crap".

Regards,

Astro
Old 02-09-2021, 05:57 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you also saying that the President did NOT use his column in the official magazine to attack someone running for EC? In fact, I think the EVP did that as well in the same issue. No secret handshake crap? Yeah right.

Q: How many people on the EC did nothing about this blatant use of organizational pub for partisan purposes?
A: All of them.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:04 PM
PopeyeCharlotte

Thanks for the background. I'll ask my question again, from a slightly different perspective: has anyone applied to be a leader member and been denied?

The point is, there are constructive ideas forthcoming in these discussions. Having a seat at the table could see implementation. (Yeah, I realize, elected officials are supposed to support our voices / wants and needs. But how many of us have written directly to our district VPs? Forums are not effective (in any realm) to convince governing bodies. We are anonymous (unknown who is an AMA member, which district, etc.). And, in fairness to every elected official, sometimes a good choice results in punishment. If my elected official does not vote for me getting a stimulus check, I'll find another sap to vote for .)
Old 02-09-2021, 06:26 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PopeyeCharlotte
Thanks for the background. I'll ask my question again, from a slightly different perspective: has anyone applied to be a leader member and been denied?

The point is, there are constructive ideas forthcoming in these discussions. Having a seat at the table could see implementation. (Yeah, I realize, elected officials are supposed to support our voices / wants and needs. But how many of us have written directly to our district VPs? Forums are not effective (in any realm) to convince governing bodies. We are anonymous (unknown who is an AMA member, which district, etc.). And, in fairness to every elected official, sometimes a good choice results in punishment. If my elected official does not vote for me getting a stimulus check, I'll find another sap to vote for .)
Actually, pretty much the only ones around here that are anonymous are you and the other recent signups like retired at 38, as for the rest of us I've posted my AMA number plenty of times in the past as have others like Franklin, Speed, and of course we all know who Andy is. In a way having an identity is all a part of having any kind of forum credibility, having someone around who is just a nondescript screen name with nothing behind it doesn't exactly make someone into anyone the forum feels like they actually "know" in any kind of real world way.

So then, whomp, there it is......
Old 02-09-2021, 06:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Actually, pretty much the only ones around here that are anonymous are you and the other recent signups like retired at 38, as for the rest of us I've posted my AMA number plenty of times in the past as have others like Franklin, Speed, and of course we all know who Andy is. In a way having an identity is all a part of having any kind of forum credibility, having someone around who is just a nondescript screen name with nothing behind it doesn't exactly make someone into anyone the forum feels like they actually "know" in any kind of real world way.

So, are you saying I'm a nobody? Just looking for clarification on this one.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:48 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
So, are you saying I'm a nobody? Just looking for clarification on this one.
No I don't think your a nobody, not in the least. You've posted your location, we are on a first name basis through our PMs, so yeah, I feel like I at least somewhat know you.
But people who have just signed up, without even so much as a location in their profile, nah, I don't really feel much of a connection with them. Who knows, maybe in time.....
Old 02-09-2021, 07:00 PM
init4fun

It's knowing these little things about each other that creates familiarity. I know hydro likes Squaredancing, I know Franklin is a former Navy pilot, I know Speed has a wife whose very supportive of his hobby to the point of participating herself, Hell I even know that Dennis has a pickup truck equipped with a very nice trailer setup to haul his planes around, those are the kinds of things I'm talking about here.

And I still don't know a thing about the new posters, not even their general location......
Old 02-09-2021, 08:09 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i may be the only current LM in here, who is not already an elected/appointed/employed ama person.

and even at my age, my life is still too full to be sacrificing any time to running yet another 501 c3 type org.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:29 AM
PopeyeCharlotte

Actually, pretty much the only ones around here that are anonymous are you...

Fair point. I am new here, having decided to get back into rc. There is some indication of my location in name, although I don’t live there anymore. Trust is both earned and given, and I am still learning how open to be here. Other forums I participate in I am completely transparent, then again some forums I am the opposite.

I am an AMA member, I have a vested interest in their success simply because I believe a common voice is important to the ability to conduct our hobby.

I will continue to open up, or not, as I learn about the forum etiquette. For now, my intent is meaningful contribution.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:25 AM
BarracudaHockey

Certainly I never denied a LM application on my watch and I don't personally interview each one to see if they are a boat rocker
Old 02-10-2021, 05:41 AM
astrohog

Certainly I never denied a LM application on my watch and I don't personally interview each one to see if they are a boat rocker
And, once again, you refuse to answer the bulk of the questions asked. It's not a good look to call other peoples' posts, "Crap" and then not answer to your allegations. Especially from a forum moderator, Leader Member and Area Vice President of AMA! It's beginning to look like a page out of the "Good ole boy" manual to me....

Some of us have been repeatedly told to, "Go ask the AMA". Here we are engaging with an AVP, asking questions and receiving no responses.

Astro

Old 02-10-2021, 06:53 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's knowing these little things about each other that creates familiarity. I know hydro likes Squaredancing, I know Franklin is a former Navy pilot, I know Speed has a wife whose very supportive of his hobby to the point of participating herself, Hell I even know that Dennis has a pickup truck equipped with a very nice trailer setup to haul his planes around, those are the kinds of things I'm talking about here.

And I still don't know a thing about the new posters, not even their general location......
Please don't take this the wrong way. This response isn't aimed at init4fun but basically to everyone. I'm only trying to make a point. This whole trust thing is a two way street.

So look at it from my perspective to which I'll add, "Who the Heck are you?"

So far, in a few short weeks I have been accused of being a troll or sock account. One even accused me of being Speedracer. And another actually insisted I meant something else in a post even after I clarified. And I'm supposed to blindly trust you guys? With what? Personal information? Why? I started by asking a few questions and got piled on almost immediately. And funny thing, I received several PMs warning me about some of you guys. So I should trust you why?

How do I know the info you post about yourself is 100% true? It takes time for you to earn my trust as well. And as a victim of several online stalkings one of which ended up in court, it will probably take me more time to trust you than most.

And there's already information one can glean from my posts. I retired at the age of 38. Not because I had to but because I could. Actually I could have earlier but it just took a few years for the idea to sink in and get around to it. Now you can take it from here.

So take me for my word or not. Quite frankly I don't give a damn. And if you want me to give a damn, you could show it a bit better.

Last edited by Retiredat38; 02-10-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:07 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Retiredat38
And another has told me what I really meant even after I clarified.
LOL. I told you what the words you typed meant and that they didn't mean what you said they meant. Words have meaning folks, use the right words! I don't care who you are, if one wants to have a positive experience participating in online forums, I would recommend having command of the written language first.

I received several PMs warning me about some of you guys.
The fact that some here would PM you, "pre"-warning you about members is appalling to me, and should be a sign that whomever "warned" you should be suspect as having some kind of agenda that they don't want known publicly. What has this world come to?

So I should trust you why?
I would venture that one of the folks that PM'd you to "warn" you, is one that has stalked and researched personal info of folks he has had issues with and posted that information here and also threatened physical harm, so that is one of the reasons I no longer feel comfortable posting personal info. Really sad times.....

Astro

How do I know the info you post about yourself is 100% true? It takes time for you to earn my trust as well. And as a victim of several online stalkings one of which ended up in court, it will probably take me more time to trust you than most.

And there's already information one can glean from my posts. I retired at the age of 38. Not because I had to but because I could. Actually I could have earlier but it just took a few years for the idea to sink in and get around to it. Now you can take it from here.

So take me for my word or not. Quite frankly I don't give a damn. And if you want me to give a damn, you could show it a bit better.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-12-2021, 08:50 PM
astrohog

n/m
Old 11-02-2021, 11:05 AM
Hydro Junkie

And, once again, two weeks and all we hear is crickets chirping. Not sure if it's a good thing or not at this point
Old 11-02-2021, 11:19 AM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And, once again, two weeks and all we hear is crickets chirping. Not sure if it's a good thing or not at this point
Actually, it's been 8-1/2 months. Let 'em chirp.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:40 AM
Hydro Junkie

I wasn't just counting this thread but, rather, the AMA forum as a whole. I can deal with chirping
Old 11-02-2021, 06:20 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth here's some news for the crickets. Jonathan Rupprecht, RaceDayQuads lawyer in their lawsuit against the FAA, sent out an announcement today on RDQ's reply brief filing -
"pushing back on the FAA's false statements and legal justifications for remote ID":
https://jrupprechtlaw.com/racedayqua...n-regulations/

Old 11-03-2021, 06:34 AM
Hydro Junkie

What I found to be VERY REVEALING was this:

Who Has Joined (Or Not) in the Lawsuit

• Academy of Model Aeronautics has been silent. They have not helped or done anything.
  • AUVSI filed in as an Amicus Curiae.
I wonder if our local VP would like to comment on that one? I would have thought the AMA legal staff would have loved to jump on this since they could have been second chair and, if the suit failed, they wouldn't have to take the blame. But it also has wondering if the AMA was one of the organizations referred to as one of the participants in the secret meetings
Old 11-03-2021, 06:40 AM
BarracudaHockey

Being in Washington your local VP is the District IX VP Phil Tallman, give him a jingle.

We (the AMA) were not involved in any secret or ex parte meetings that I'm aware of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.