Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Interesting.

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Interesting.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:57 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
My friend , to be honest I always believed porcia83 and crispy bacon were both Tom
Whoever they were they were the most obnoxious characters ever to grace the pages (of this and the other) forum.

Mike
Old 08-01-2020, 02:45 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
There's a reason the youth membership is no longer free and it has nothing to do with a financial implosion, it's all about insurance
Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
If we take 2018 number above, $1,211,474 divided by 180,000 members is less than $7 each. And that $1.2 million includes other types of non-flying related insurance. So the number is likely even lower.
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Andy , I find it VERY difficult to believe the insurance company is demanding that our youth members pay AMA dues , I would like to see your proof of this , otherwise I AM going to call this yet another desperate money grab from an organization that refuses to take any personal responsibility (As in staff PAY CUTS !!!!!!) for the money crunch that is presently facing it.
I listened to a recent AMA podcast today, the one with the Tiny Whoop guy. If you listen closely, a couple things jumped out at me:

- None of his "top three events" were AMA
- When he mentioned organizations, AMA was listed last, after FiteTest

Also, in contrast to the above, where AMA is trying to "grow" by charging their target audience for something that heretofore was free, the Tiny Whoop folks are giving away software to get folks hooked on building and flying drone races.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:27 PM
bigunn
My Feedback: (31)

Sorta new here but don't clubs have to pay the AMA extra money for insurance when they have a event?
Old 08-01-2020, 07:20 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigunn View Post
Sorta new here but don't clubs have to pay the AMA extra money for insurance when they have a event?
Not usually. But you can get additional site owners insurance if needed.

From the sanction application:

All AMA sanctioned event sponsors are provided with comprehensive liability protection, when the operation of the model aircraft is in compliance with the AMA Safety Code. This coverage includes both model flying and non-flying accidents which may involve participants, AMA officials and spectators. NO COVERAGE IS PROVIDED FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF FULL-SCALE AIRCRAFT (SUCH AS FOR MODEL SPOTTING FROM THE AIR OR DEMONSTRATIONS AT AIR SHOWS). Flying site owners can also be provided with liability protection as additional insureds. However, this must be applied for by using the application form for insuring flying site owners. This form is furnished as part of the sanction kit. If necessary, an application form can be obtained by calling the AMA Competitions Department or from www.modelaircraft.org.