Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Still a Bottom Feeder.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Still a Bottom Feeder.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:14 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Still a Bottom Feeder.

I'd guess Stick will be okay with a jet if it is scratch built, but he can certainly speak for himself and frequently does.

Abel
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dam Skippy!

If you don't speak for yourself, no one else will.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Stick-

You obviously cant get an entire alternate Muncie Membership mazgazine just targeted toward one discipline of modeling.

The Heli guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The CL guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The 2lb ParkFlier guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The FF guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
So of course the Scale guys shouldnt either.

AMA is a one magazine fits all org,
it would be folly to think they start up a magazine for just one group of $15/$29/$58 MuncieMembers
and allow that group to get it instead of MA.

You are in error there. The park pilots with their 2 pound planes do get their own magazine, so why does the AMA continue to fill MA with these models? The control line guys, and the free flight guys do routinely get an article directed toward them. The Electric power guys routinely get the bulk of the paper. I couldn't comment on what the Heli guys get, since I have never even looked at anything concerning them.

Now, I'll repeat what I said earlier. And I'll type real slow, so you can understand what I said........

Point #1: I would rather that the AMA did not waste the effort sending this rag to me.

Point #2: I don't want them to send my copy to anyone of impressionable age, since I wouldn't want them exposed to this level of crap.

Point #3: Since the Parkies now have their own magazine, why is Model Aviation so full of that stuff?

Point #4: Since the AMA is so Hell bent of publishing a magazine, why not poll the membership, and see what the membership wants?

Point #5: If the AMA is going to continue publishing a magazine with this level of content, why not allow the members who do not wish to receive the publication to be able to say, "No thank you?" Leave the membership cost alone, just don't waste the resources by sending one to those who would rather not receive it.

Point #6: On the reports that the DVP's write each month, why does someone from the East Coast report on something that happened in California? Following that same line of reasoning, why is it normal for the DVP from District I, or II to write about an event that happened within District V, and the DVP from District V mentions nairy a word about that event?

Point #7: When the elected officers are foaming at the mouth, and panting like a dog in season to get your votes, they are all over this web site, but once they are elected, they avoid us as if we had the plague? (that's a new topic, but has relevance).

Point #8: I could care less if the magazine has an article on Scale Modelling. I don't read magazines to get my daily fix on that discipline. It would be nice if the magazine were a little more balanced, and had items that are timely. This is a hobby that is geared toward building and flying model airplanes. The majority of what I saw in the last issue could not be considered a model of anything. They are not models, just miniature airplanes. (look up the definition of model when you get bored, and have nothing better to do). These P.O.S. replicate nothing, and while you may argue that they fly well, tell me how many you have ever seen flying when the wind is blowing at 10 MPH? A piece of crap is still a piece of crap, I don't care what color you paint it, or what you cover it with. It's like putting red silk panties on a Poland-China Sow. She's still a pig, and you won't have much luck trying to pass her off as a go-go girl.

So, Kid Epoxy, No, I don't want my issues sent to a school, and I don't want it sent to the Boy Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, Hospital, Orphanage (do they still have those?), nor any other location that children of impressionable age would be found. I would just like to be able to say No, I don't choose to get the propaganda, keep it, line your bird cage, or litter box with it, or roll it into a spindle, and use it as a suppostory if that is your desire.

It's back to a direct trip from the mailbox to the trash buggy for me. It will stay that way for the forseeable future.

Bill, AMA 4720

edited, because I can't spell worth spit the first time through.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:56 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue Sky, excellent design, put me down for two.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

Blue Sky, that is just excellent!

After seeing some of the reaction to the last thread I started, I should rate plank holder status in that distinguished club. Of course count me in for a patch, and be assured I'll display it proudly. Every 'nontraditional RC pilot' and supporter of that ilk should. We should have a catchy theme song too......... I'm nominating "Springtime For Hitler" from The Producers.

Abel
Thanks Abel. I'll display my patch proudly representing my fellow members. I'll check with RCKen regarding whether or not it's alright to conduct Bottom Feeder club business here. I assume worst case one of us could be a seller and offer the patch. Maybe that's how it would work, but I'd assume the unofficial clubhouse would still be here and hopefully RCKen would bend the rules so we could use the poll feature to decide where the proceeds should go etc.

I'm thinking the upper part of the swoop design needs the profile of an airplane. The basic design is good to go, it would be voting on what type of plane - a jet would be easy but Stick may not go along with that.
Sorry guys. While this is a pretty funny way to look at a situation that caused a lot of discussion here on RCU, it's still not appropriate for the AMA forum to sell patches like this. I don't mind you guys joking around about the patches here, but if you are going to start moving it in to a more tangible form (real world patches) I'm going to have to draw the line there. Since these aren't an official program of the AMA it's not going to move forward here in this forum. Maybe in the Off Topic forum, but not here. Sorry guys.

Ken
Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Stickbuilder

:

Stick-

You obviously cant get an entire alternate Muncie Membership mazgazine just targeted toward one discipline of modeling.

The Heli guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The CL guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The 2lb ParkFlier guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The FF guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
So of course the Scale guys shouldnt either.

AMA is a one magazine fits all org,
it would be folly to think they start up a magazine for just one group of $15/$29/$58 MuncieMembers
and allow that group to get it instead of MA.

You are in error there. The park pilots with their 2 pound planes do get their own magazine, so why does the AMA continue to fill MA with these models? The control line guys, and the free flight guys do routinely get an article directed toward them. The Electric power guys routinely get the bulk of the paper. I couldn't comment on what the Heli guys get, since I have never even looked at anything concerning them.

Now, I'll repeat what I said earlier.

Point #1: I would rather that the AMA did not waste the effort sending this rag to me.

Point #2: I don't want them to send my copy to anyone of impressionable age, since I wouldn't want them exposed to this level of crap.

Point #3: Since the Parkies now have their own magazine, why is Model Aviation so full of that stuff?

Point #4: Since the AMA is so Hell bent of publishing a magazine, why not poll the membership, and see what the membership wants?

Point #5: If the AMA is going to continue publishing a magazine with this level of content, why not allow the members who do not wish to receive the publication to be able to say, "No thank you?" Leave the membership cost alone, just don't waste the resources by sending one to those who would rather not receive it.

Point #6: On the reports that the DVP's write each month, why does someone from the East Coast report on something that happened in California? Following that same line of reasoning, why is it normal for the DVP from District I, or II to write about an event that happened within District V, and the DVP from District V mentions nairy a word about that event?

Point #7: When the elected officers are foaming at the mouth, and panting like a dog in season to get your votes, they are all over this web site, but once they are elected, they avoid us as if we had the plague? (that's a new topic, but has relevance).

Point #8: I could care less if the magazine has an article on Scale Modelling. I don't read magazines to get my daily fix on that discipline. It would be nice if the magazine were a little more balanced, and had items that are timely. This is a hobby that is geared toward building and flying model airplanes. The majority of what I saw in the last issue could not be considered a model of anything. They are not models, just miniature airplanes. (look up the definition of model when you get bored, and have nothing better to do). These P.O.S. replicate nothing, and while you may argue that they fly well, tell me how many you have ever seen flying when the wind is blowing at 10 MPH? A piece of crap is still a piece of crap, I don't care what color you paint it, or what you cover it with. It's like putting red silk panties on a Poland-China Sow. She's still a pig, and you won't have much luck trying to pass her off as a go-go girl.

So, Kid Epoxy, No, I don't want my issues sent to a school, and I don't want it sent to the Boy Scouts, Civil Air Patrol, Hospital, Orphanage (do they still have those?), nor any other location that children of impressionable age would be found. I would just like to be able to say No, I don't choose to get the propaganda, keep it, line your bird cage, or litter box with it, or roll it into a spindle, and use it as a suppostory if that is your desire.

It's back to a direct trip from the mailbox to the trash buggy for me. It will stay that way for the forseeable future.

Bill, AMA 4720

edited, because I can't spell worth spit the first time through.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Name:	Pn35563.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1147646  
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Maybe it'll ruin his Sunday for him.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 03-01-2009, 01:50 PM
KidEpoxy

Stick
You are in error there. The park pilots with their 2 pound planes do get their own magazine, so why does the AMA continue to fill MA with these models?
Wow, I cant believe neither I nor anyone else ever noticed AMA makes a
discipline specific separate magazine that one can opt for instead of MA
(-$36NoMA +$10 Specialized mag).

That kinda throws the whole theory of One Mag Fits All out the window, dont it. [8D]
Hmmm, one might also say it throws the Mandatory MA out the window too.
Seems some of the guys that send checks to indiana are not forced to 'receive' MA and throw it away / donate it. They instead get a specialized magazine tailored to their discipline..... not many 40%Yak ARF ads in that one, unlike the flood of LilFoamie ads in MA.

Face it Stick,
the untold thousands of AMA Scratch&Scale guys are just a minority in AMA that dont rate a special mag,
unlike a thousand PF guys that get their own magazine made for them.
Maybe if you swell the ranks of Scratch&Scale members down to the thousand or so PF guys, then AMA might make a discipline specific Membership Tier and magazine for Scratch&Scale like they did for PF

And oddly enough,
that member magazine other than MA doesnt have a problem with
Anti-PublicFlyer slurs and slights like BottomeFeeder or Likely Unsafe.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Bob Mitchell

Good,

Maybe it'll ruin his Sunday for him.

Bill, AMA 4720
That's a commendable thought, but I suspect he'll get a chuckle out of it more than anything else.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Stick
You are in error there. The park pilots with their 2 pound planes do get their own magazine, so why does the AMA continue to fill MA with these models?
Wow, I cant believe neither I nor anyone else ever noticed AMA makes a
discipline specific separate magazine that one can opt for instead of MA
(-$36NoMA +$10 Specialized mag).

That kinda throws the whole theory of One Mag Fits All out the window, dont it. [8D]
Hmmm, one might also say it throws the Mandatory MA out the window too.
Seems some of the guys that send checks to indiana are not forced to 'receive' MA and throw it away / donate it. They instead get a specialized magazine tailored to their discipline..... not many 40%Yak ARF ads in that one, unlike the flood of LilFoamie ads in MA.

Face it Stick,
the untold thousands of AMA Scratch&Scale guys are just a minority in AMA that dont rate a special mag,
unlike a thousand PF guys that get their own magazine made for them.
Maybe if you swell the ranks of Scratch&Scale members down to the thousand or so PF guys, then AMA might make a discipline specific Membership Tier and magazine for Scratch&Scale like they did for PF

And oddly enough,
that member magazine other than MA doesnt have a problem with
Anti-PublicFlyer slurs and slights like BottomeFeeder or Likely Unsafe.
You still don't get it do you? Go back to the last post, and read point #8. Continue to read it over and over until you get the message that this point contains. It sounds like you get halfway through each point, and then your fingers take off. No, you still don't understand what I have been trying to say.

1. I don't want a magazine geared toward scratch built scale.

2. I don't care what they write about.

3. I don't care what they advertize.

Last and most important: I don't want the magazine!!!

Now, please tell me how that's so hard for you to wrap your head around.

DON'T WANT IT! WON'T READ IT! DON'T SEND IT!

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It is a tremendous waste of resources to force the mag upon those who don't want it. Opting to send the mag where it would be appreciated is a good option, but another option should be to allow the member to elect to not receive in any way, shape, or form...for a slight reduction in dues. Pick a number that saves the AMA the cost of sending a mag off to he who don't want it and it becomes a win / win proposition.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Last and most important: I don't want the magazine!!!
I think this is probably the point that's getting lost in all this.

We can discuss the positives, negatives, perceptions, likes and dislikes, of Model Aviation until we're blue in the face. That's all ancillary fluff, though.

The bottom line is there are at least some number of AMA members who do not want the magazine.

Ok...certainly, the magazine can be donated, or a request made to send it elsewhere, or thrown away, or whatever...

That still, however, evades the issue:

Why on EARTH does the AMA insist on printing and distributing one copy per member, and IGNORE the most obvious, cost effective, environmentally friendly, equipment saving, and labor reducing alternative?

Give members the option to refuse the magazine. Sheesh. how difficult is that?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: GAP-RCU

Wow - you must have missed one of the all time great earthquakes here in the AMA forum. It happened about a year ago, here is one of several threads in response to a MA article by Greg Hahn... [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7305632/anchors_7305632/mpage_1/key_bottom%252Cfeeder/anchor/tm.htm#7305632]link[/link]
No. I remember it very well. I just didn't see the correlation between Stickbuilders irrational and continued hatred for MA and the GH article. He so obsessed and filled with hatred that he even burned one of his most loyal anti-MA sycophants. This thread has served no purpose other than to let the usual suspects alternately rant and engage in sophomoric humor concerning a no cost benefit of AMA membership.

Have at it. I think I'll head back to the GS forum.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Robotech

ORIGINAL: GAP-RCU

Wow - you must have missed one of the all time great earthquakes here in the AMA forum. It happened about a year ago, here is one of several threads in response to a MA article by Greg Hahn... [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7305632/anchors_7305632/mpage_1/key_bottom%252Cfeeder/anchor/tm.htm#7305632]link[/link]
No. I remember it very well. I just didn't see the correlation between Stickbuilders irrational and continued hatred for MA and the GH article. He so obsessed and filled with hatred that he even burned one of his most loyal anti-MA sycophants. This thread has served no purpose other than to let the usual suspects alternately rant and engage in sophomoric humor concerning a no cost benefit of AMA membership.

Have at it. I think I'll head back to the GS forum.
Nothing irrational about it. Nothing beneficial about it either.

Bye.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
The Toolman

Hope ya don't mind..hehe, I borrowed your RC Bottom Feeder emblem an use it for my avatar over on a coupla the radio forums I'm on.

Ron
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
KidEpoxy

Robo-
Speaking of alternately ranting, could you play the banjo & guitar
so we can have Dualing Robos?

This thread has served no purpose other than to let the usual suspects alternately rant and engage in sophomoric humor concerning a no cost benefit of AMA membership.
Here is all I can manage to come up with. Either it is a fact that $18.00 of your membership is for Model Aviation or the AMA is knowingly printing an incorrect legal statement.

IMHO $18.00 of my dues goes to Model Aviation.
In your humble opinion, this 'no cost' thing costs $18.
Way to play both sides of the coin dude.

Stick wasnt complaining about the cost (or lack there of),
he said he would still pay $58 but just not have HQ waste AMA money sending something he doesnt like,
so I dont know why you are bringing up the cost/freeness of it.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

.......... This thread has served no purpose other than to let the usual suspects alternately rant and engage in sophomoric humor concerning a no cost benefit of AMA membership.

This is where you are VERY WRONG. The cost is huge. I'll bet a truck load of mags goes straight to the dump every month unread, or if best, skim read. If the mag was optional, the AMA could add revenue through subtraction.
It's time for everyone to consider the most efficient ways to conduct business instead of being stuck in "compound low".
Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

.......... This thread has served no purpose other than to let the usual suspects alternately rant and engage in sophomoric humor concerning a no cost benefit of AMA membership.

This is where you are VERY WRONG. The cost is huge. I'll bet a truck load of mags goes straight to the dump every month unread, or if best, skim read. If the mag was optional, the AMA could add revenue through subtraction.
It's time for everyone to consider the most efficient ways to conduct business instead of being stuck in "compound low".
Pig,

You missed the point of his post completely. If the original post had been made by one of his friends, then he would have been all over it. Since the OP was who he is, he is still all over it, but on the opposite side.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: The Toolman
Hope ya don't mind..hehe, I borrowed your RC Bottom Feeder emblem an use it for my avatar over on a coupla the radio forums I'm on.

Ron
Ron, that's great!

As RCKen indicated, patches can't be sold on the AMA forum. Patches can be sold on a different forum.

I’d like to take this opportunity and recognize Ken in the RC community. Ken’s build threads on RCU and his own website are testament of his commitment, dedication and sacrifice of time. I honor you Ken, you’re a better man than I in giving back. And obviously Ken drew the short stick when handed moderator duty for this forum.

I’m not buttering up Ken. He’s one of the good guys.

An updated patch design is attached. This design is out for bid. Stick should assume the jet in the patch was built full scale, flown and retired. When costs are final I’ll post the price. Those wishing a patch can order at that time.

1. All patch orders will be confidential. Trust is paramount.
2. US patch orders. There will be a single price for each patch. Shipping will be included in the price. Patches will be drop shipped blind.
3. International patch orders. No one will be left out. UPS International shipping.

There will be proceeds, probably less than a dollar per patch. Where does the extra money go? We’ll vote in a poll what to do with the proceeds somewhere on RCU. There will be rules on who can vote based on RCU time of membership. Membership must have been before the Greg Hahn "Bottom Feeder" column, and to be counted as a vote where the money goes, an RCU member must post their vote in the poll thread.

We love rules, right? We'll make the rules as we go. But where the money goes has to be voted on.

Suggestions at this point on what to do with patch proceeds:

1. Donate to AMA.
2. Build Bottom Feeders RC Club website and let Blue Sky waste his own and everyone's money on a forum no one will go to.
3. Monthly donations to the University of Florida Department of Ichthyology in the name of Greg Hahn and the AMA.

Or whatever suggestions and a poll decides.

The patch is in play.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92775.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1148454  
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Stickbuilder

It had to be a jet huh?

Bill AMA 4720
Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Blue_Sky

It had to be a jet huh?

Bill AMA 4720
I tried rounded wings first and it wasn't working. I tried fitting different aircraft silhouettes, Photoshop doesn't have 3D or it would have been a piece of cake. I finally just drew it up to fit the space.

I'm open to changes if it totally sucks. When the quotes come back I'll try rounding off the wings.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Stickbuilder

Just jerkin' your chain.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Blue_Sky
Stick should assume the jet in the patch was built full scale, flown and retired.
THAT is quite possibly one of the funniest things I have EVER read on this forum.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

It is a tremendous waste of resources to force the mag upon those who don't want it. Opting to send the mag where it would be appreciated is a good option, but another option should be to allow the member to elect to not receive in any way, shape, or form...for a slight reduction in dues. Pick a number that saves the AMA the cost of sending a mag off to he who don't want it and it becomes a win / win proposition.
In the seemingly endless number of times this subject has come up in the year that I've been a member here, one recurring comment I've seen is that MA is the format that AMA has chosen for the "information newsletter" which supposedly the IRS requires be sent to the membership on some frequency. Does anyone know for a fact exactly what these requirements are? What is the minimum frequency? Does it have to be delivered by mail or are there alternate means of communication available (internet, email, etc) that will satisfy minimum requirements?

Going further, does anyone have any real information on what percentage of AMA membership don't want the magazine? Are we talking about a significant percentate here, or is there just a vocal minority who see this as an issue and make it a point to throw it away rather than read it or pass it on to someone who (heaven forbid) might actually enjoy it? I have my suspicions about this, but will be upfront about it and say that I really don't know. I think those questions should have answers before one can conclude that there is a significant amount of resources that could be saved by making changes. Further, I think the burden of that demonstration is on the shoulders of those that think it exists and want the changes made. Make your case rather than just complain that you don't want the magazine. Show how those resources can be saved based on facts and the costs of whatever alternatives would be required and I think you would have other members, myself included, coming to your point of view rather than glossing over your comments and thinking to themselves "oh lord, not this again", and clicking on past to the next topic.

I enjoy the magazine, and read it each month, although I will admit this past issue didn't have a lot in it that peaked my interest. I'm not into electrics, or indoor flight, although I recognize that both are an expanding part of the hobby. That's rather par for the course, though. I get a number of monthly and weekly magazines covering sports, automobiles, news, radio control and other interests. Some issues I read cover to cover, and some don't get that attention because of the particular topics covered. When Car&Driver runs a comparo on pickup trucks, my eyes gloss over and I just keep turning the pages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.