Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Redwing 50cc Sboch

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Redwing 50cc Sboch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 AM
RedwingRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redwing 50cc Sboch

I think I already mentioned this, but keep your batteries all near the firewall for balance.  I had all mine up there and it was just about right.  I don't think you have to add weight, unless you want a very neutral, super tame plane.  But you won't want to put them back

good work on the photos/build thread!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 PM
plane addicts
My Feedback: (271)

Tom I really like how you mounted your ignition light that is slick. Have you tried this before I am just wondering how it holds up to the heat.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

Tom I really like how you mounted your ignition light that is slick. Have you tried this before I am just wondering how it holds up to the heat.
I have it that way on all my planes. The longest is on my PAU Extra and it has been on there for a year. Still works. I do have the light bulb wrapped in fuel tubing to shield it from the vibration and to hold it tight. I like it there because it is shielded from the sun and you can see it through the cowl opening from the front. It also illuminates the needle valves if you so choose to tweak a little.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

My understanding is that the scheme itself is copyrighted by them. I may be wrong though. My understand also is that you can to an extent create anything you want. However, a company/person can deny you the right to show their copywrited material lol. But there is a difference between covering a plane and buying a plane in a scheme. That is like the Red bulls schemes. You can buy them from over seas however you see very few arfs in the US with it. That is due to the copy right laws having an effect on the US sales of material of others. I dont remember who but a company got in trouble for replicating the Red Bull scheme without permission.

Now something like that yak that is covered in the scheme I believe wouldnt start to many problems. However since they already grated the rights/made a deal with another company to produce arf in that scheme for MXSRs it might become a problem if he trys even copying the scheme without the lettering. That would have to be a legality issue that would need to be looked into.

Im not trying to discurage him from making a mxsr as there are a few diffrent companys working on them right now. I just dont want to see the man get hit with legal problems.
Thank you for the clarification I believe your are correct; it may be possible to copyright a paint scheme indeed. And your are also correct since there is already another company which offers a 50cc and a 100cc version of the Breitling scheme. I may suggest the best thing Redwing may do is to offer an ARC version or an all yellow version and let the builder finish it in whatever scheme he prefers. In fact the all yellow version can be finished as either a Breitling or the Matt Hall scheme.

By the way when looking for a good photo of the Matt Hall scheme I found out that all their photos are subject to copyrights, which didn't use to be the case before last week. The one photo i am trying to show here was downloaded from Wikipedia which is a free internet resource.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71994.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1525507  
Old 10-30-2010, 03:11 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Second installment was fitting the cowl. That took some doing. Me engine needs 2 1/2'' Standoffs on this plane. If I did that Id have to cut some more clearance for the muffler and the back of the carb. As of now I have a 1/4'' gap between the cowl and the back of the spinner. I much prefer that the factory move the firewall back and let me shim the Standoffs forward. Ill work on the clearances some more so all I have to do is change standoffs when the time comes. I'm going to leave it the way it is for now. I don't know how the DLE fits but a D/A would have the same issues that the YD-A has. I had to cut a lot of the cowl out to make things fit. When I put the plane on the ground you couldn't hardly tell the difference.
It looks great. and I don't think you cut off more than necessary, and it should cool the engine very good.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 PM
rleman43
My Feedback: (74)

Hey Tom...just reviewed your 30cc build..Great Job!.
I am looking forward for your 50cc build,as i am going to order one after Christmas..If they are still in stock then..)
Old 10-30-2010, 08:52 PM
plane addicts

ORIGINAL: AirTech

My understanding is that the scheme itself is copyrighted by them. I may be wrong though. My understand also is that you can to an extent create anything you want. However, a company/person can deny you the right to show their copywrited material lol. But there is a difference between covering a plane and buying a plane in a scheme. That is like the Red bulls schemes. You can buy them from over seas however you see very few arfs in the US with it. That is due to the copy right laws having an effect on the US sales of material of others. I dont remember who but a company got in trouble for replicating the Red Bull scheme without permission.

Now something like that yak that is covered in the scheme I believe wouldnt start to many problems. However since they already grated the rights/made a deal with another company to produce arf in that scheme for MXSRs it might become a problem if he trys even copying the scheme without the lettering. That would have to be a legality issue that would need to be looked into.

Im not trying to discurage him from making a mxsr as there are a few diffrent companys working on them right now. I just dont want to see the man get hit with legal problems.
Thank you for the clarification I believe your are correct; it may be possible to copyright a paint scheme indeed. And your are also correct since there is already another company which offers a 50cc and a 100cc version of the Breitling scheme. I may suggest the best thing Redwing may do is to offer an ARC version or an all yellow version and let the builder finish it in whatever scheme he prefers. In fact the all yellow version can be finished as either a Breitling or the Matt Hall scheme.

By the way when looking for a good photo of the Matt Hall scheme I found out that all their photos are subject to copyrights, which didn't use to be the case before last week. The one photo i am trying to show here was downloaded from Wikipedia which is a free internet resource.

Yeah its crazy how thing are getting with copyrights. That would be the best bet for covering. I would just hate to see him get in trouble. From what I hear he is a good guy.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
plane addicts

ORIGINAL: AirTech

Yeah its crazy how thing are getting with copyrights. That would be the best bet for covering. I would just hate to see him get in trouble. From what I hear he is a good guy.

I think the ARC would be great if it is feasible to produce. That would allow for several different options for schemes.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: rleman43

Hey Tom...just reviewed your 30cc build..Great Job!.
I am looking forward for your 50cc build,as i am going to order one after Christmas..If they are still in stock then..)

Thanks for looking in.

I had a funeral, swap meet and a birthday that I had to attend the last two days. That slowed me down a little.
I should have it finished up tomorrow morning. We'll get the maiden in as soon as possible and I'll have the finished photos tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Tseres

The last component to be installed was the throttle servo. Got that in with no problems hooked up the rest of the ignition.
I usually swap out the prop screws for longer ones and put some lock washers on the screws. I don't like to use locktite on the prop screws. While I was tightening up the spinner I broke it. I'll have to order another one from Tim. It just so happens that the spinner from the 30cc is the same size so I'm borrowing it till I get a new one.

My friend Mike loaned me the PT Prop to try. Thanks for the the loaner and get well soon.

I'm getting ready to balance the plane and mount the receiver batteries next. Then that's it.

Name:	Tr51235.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1526131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47120.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1526132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46597.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1526133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88418.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1526134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73565.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1526135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53629.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1526136  
Old 10-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Tseres

I thought I would show how I balance the plane.

I always like to start on the center of the spar tube. The pictures show how I transfer the spars center line to the outside of the wing. Then I set the plane on the balancer and move the receiver batteries to where the plane balances. Then I mount the batteries the best I can in that location.

I also fired the engine up just to check for leaks. Everything passed inspection except I have not had the screws in the canopy. I'm sure that will be OK.

Name:	He97425.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1526215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95755.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1526216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80045.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1526217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34889.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1526218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10166.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1526219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15160.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1526220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79879.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1526221  
Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Nice....I will try this next time I balance. How about some photos of your balancer. I would like to see what you are using. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:40 PM
AirTech

The last component to be installed was the throttle servo. Got that in with no problems hooked up the rest of the ignition.
I usually swap out the prop screws for longer ones and put some lock washers on the screws. I don't like to use locktite on the prop screws. While I was tightening up the spinner I broke it. I'll have to order another one from Tim. It just so happens that the spinner from the 30cc is the same size so I'm borrowing it till I get a new one.

My friend Mike loaned me the PT Prop to try. Thanks for the the loaner and get well soon.

I'm getting ready to balance the plane and mount the receiver batteries next. Then that's it.
Hey what a pity, that was a nice looking spinner. Very good color match; a very neat detail. [sm=thumbup.gif] You know I am crazy for scale. BTW what's up with Mike? Send me PM and let me know.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Johnny_Zero

Nice....I will try this next time I balance. How about some photos of your balancer. I would like to see what you are using. Thanks in advance.
It works on big and small. The width is adjustable to clear wheels. It works great.

Got it from Gpete right here on RCU. Reasonably priced and made in the USA.

Name:	Bz77822.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1526306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46228.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1526307  
Old 10-31-2010, 06:55 PM
AirTech

It works on big and small. The width is adjustable to clear wheels. It works great.

Nice! I will definitely check that out.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Tseres

Hey Raf. You can use mine anytime you need to. Just Hollah.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Johnny_Zero

Looks real nice...I have seen Gpete on the RCU forums. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:14 AM
AirTech

Hey Raf. You can use mine anytime you need to. Just Hollah.
Thank you Tom, appreciated.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Tseres

We are going to try and get the maiden in today. Stay tuned for video and some big news coming this evening.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

patiently waiting!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM
AirTech

We are going to try and get the maiden in today. Stay tuned for video and some big news coming this evening.
Wow, that's what I call a "Quick Build". I would love to be there but I am leaving town today. Love to see the video.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 AM
maineflyer

Tom,
Following your build. I have the PAU extra also. How do you compare this plane to that one? I am in the market for a second 50cc plane.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: maineflyer

Tom,
Following your build. I have the PAU extra also. How do you compare this plane to that one? I am in the market for a second 50cc plane.
Thanks
Jeff
Hi Jeff. I like your PAU Extra. This is a very unfair question. The PAU is my favorite and my baby.
This flies very similar. One thing for sure its a lot of fun. The PAU is set up for precision and the Sboch I tried to set up for 3D. I was over successful. Got it a little to tail heavy. I was able to hover it longer then my other planes. We had a blast.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Tseres

Got the maiden in. It went well. We had about 4 1/2 flights. The first one was just 6 minutes. The other four were full 10 minute flights. I have two videos in the works. The first one is some flying by me and my Son.
Now for the big secret. Bob is the new owner of the Sboch. He decided that he wanted it before we finished putting it together. He made the first flight with it but I didn't have the camera on. So I didn't get any of his first flight. The second video will be of all Bob flying.
The plane was a little tail heavy and twitchy. I was able to cure the twitchiness with some Expo. Landing was a bear at first. As you will see Bob got used to it Quick and made some real nice landings on his last flight.

Here are some pictures for now and I'll post the videos as they become available.

Name:	Ca80889.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	1526793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54554.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1526794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62925.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1526795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56047.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1526796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30503.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1526797  
Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Tseres

Well TJ your patience is about to pay off.

Look Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMiMjytI7GQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.