Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Wart Hog
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Before you buy from Troy Built Models read this

acerc. I hate to hear you had a bad experience with them as well. I was hoping they would be a stand up kind of company based here in the US. I seem to be hearing that a lot about them. I have in all honesty heard a few nice comments, but not many.
Like I said before, I let my money do my speaking for me when it comes to who I want to continue buying from. I know my $1000.00 or so is just a drop in the bucket for them, but I work hard for my money and just want to make sure it is well spent. Sounds like you are the same way with yours.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 AM
dadragon

I have delt with TBM a few years back with no problems,(engines only) now we have RC designers here in the US why buy someone elses junk and gripe about it,buy a set of plans cut and build,if you can fly why not build too, I guess thats just me if I dont build it I dont fly it .
Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Wart Hog

I scratch build and kit build as well. I have built everything fro 1/2A to a Don Smith B-17. I just happened to like the looks of the ESM B-25. It looked better than my Ziroli B-25. I need to just go ahead and build another one of those.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging from all the folks looking into this thread, it has obviously touched a nerve...

I don't have a horse in this race, either way. I've not done business with TBM or the Chinese company in question, soabout the only thing that comes to mind is that if you are around long enough in any hobby, you will see the good, bad and ugly.........
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Crash P51
My Feedback: (59)

ADD (GENERAL HOBBY) TO THE LIST OF USELESS*&%(&*$$#@!*&^*)^&**(() DEALERS FROM CHINA...........SAME TYPE OF PROBLEM...
Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Wart Hog

Well, I received a response from Troy Built. It said: "They’re already on their way. They were shipped Friday. You can delete the thread now, I will have tracking for you by end of day."
If they had shipped them Friday, they would already have a tracking number. He told me back on June 25th he was shipping them "that day". No apology and not a polite request to remove this thread, but a demand to remove it. Not sure who he thinks he is. They just don't get it.
Business as usual over there.
My response was: "Thanks Bill, but I have heard "They have been shipped" or "I will ship them today" too many times. As you can see by the thread, you have a nasty habit of lying to customers. I will take care of the thread when they arrive on my door step."

Also, I sent a link to this thread to the owner of ESM. We'll see what Mr. Herlin He's response will be.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Please don't delete the thread. It serves a good purpose.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:59 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at this from the surface ,it seems they have adopted the customer service model of some other RC organizations like Nitroplanes and companies, Banana Hobbies, Hobby King , etc...  When you experience a problem you either can't contact anyone, and if you do they string you along for weeks , months hoping you will get tired and move on. Sad way to operate but it seems a growing trend in businesses of all kinds. There are good businesses operated by good people out there but they are being surrounded by the customer  no-service types.
Hope it works out for you .
Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Wart Hog

Don't worry. I have no plans of deleting this thread. It will be a sounding board for people to express their dealings with TBM. Good, bad or otherwise.
I hope TBM does ship the nacelles so I can follow up with good news, bit it is 6p.m. in Florida and no tracking number.
Again I have given the people at TBM an opportunity to redeem themselves and it seems to be a waste of time. I even invited them to an open forum and still no results other than a rude email
Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been dealing with TBM for years. Ever since they bought out and moved the company to Florida. I have not had one issue with them to date. Not to say it can't happen, but I just wanted to post for some balance to all this. My guess is that my experiance is more the norm for this company.

I truely hope you get your issues resolved. Also, i would like to see a reply from TBM here in this thread prior to bringing it to an end. We need to here the other side of the story, even if it needs to include a formal apology. This woulg be the classy thing to do under the circumstances.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:32 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have bought a lot of items from TBM had all good results if i had any questions i would call and speak to Bill or Jeff 100% all my results were good  , sorry you have had this incident just does not sound like TBM  just my 2 cents   ok
Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Wart Hog

Hello all. I just have to warn fellow modelers before you spend your hard earned dollars with Troy Built Models or ESM. This isn't a ''Sore loser'' story. I just wish I had come across some type of review of Troy Built Models and ESM before I spent a large amount of money with them.
Haven't dealt with TBM much but I did want to offer an opinion about ESM. I've got an ESM F8F Bearcat that's turned out to be a nice looking, nice flying airplane. I'm glad I bought it. Wish I had the money to buy the ESM FW190 Dora 9.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 PM
harris1027

I had all kinds of problems with the ecomrc Stinson reliant troybuilt sells. Customer service was terrible.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Wart Hog

I too would like to have TBM come here and give their side. I sent them a link to this thread in hopes he would come here and give some sort of explanation. The only thing I've gotten so far is the one short email. If there was some type of family problem or medical emergency I will gladly accept their explanation and wish them well with what ever the problem may be. But I really don't believe that is the case since this has gone on for close to a year.

I am like you as well. I like to hear both sides of a story before I jump to any conclusions. I have given mine as bit of a warning to others about my ongoing experiences with TBM and have heard dozens more from former TBM customers. I just hope they realize what they have become and get back to the basics and taking care of customers.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Wart Hog

I have spoken with Bill, he is my contact there for this issue. He is the one that keeps promising " I am shipping it today" and nothing ever arrives.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Flyin Hwn

Warthog,
I feel for you. I too can`t seem to get satisfactory results. I can`t even get to purchase a product. TBM advertised a 90in Zero a while back for a long time. When I finally was set to order it was discontinued. Now a 88in Zero comes available in June. My local hobby store calls to order but the shipping was more than the price of the kit. Now here in early July I see on their website that the Zero is on back order. WT?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM
hairy46

Thanks so much for the heads up! I will stay away"
Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Wart Hog

I too would like to have TBM come here and give their side. I sent them a link to this thread in hopes he would come here and give some sort of explanation. The only thing I've gotten so far is the one short email. If there was some type of family problem or medical emergency I will gladly accept their explanation and wish them well with what ever the problem may be. But I really don't believe that is the case since this has gone on for close to a year.

I am like you as well. I like to hear both sides of a story before I jump to any conclusions. I have given mine as bit of a warning to others about my ongoing experiences with TBM and have heard dozens more from former TBM customers. I just hope they realize what they have become and get back to the basics and taking care of customers.
Well stated.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 PM
stevenmax50

I recently made a purchase of some electronics from Troy-Bilt.  I had zero issues.  But this concerns me.  What if there were problems?  I admit I will look elsewhere before my next purchase.  Just to be on the safe side.  
And why does RCU censor this type of posting?  This is the kind of stuff we should be telling each other.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 PM
ram3500-RCU

I'm sure it is frustrating to deal with many of these Chinese companies.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:11 PM
K-Bob

You could not delete this thread even if you wanted to. You could delete your posts and that's about it.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 PM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

Its tough to tell if the FPV thing is steering them in other directions, and That's there business to do so I guess. Its hard to figure what they would gain by doing this to a customer but" The proof is in the pudding" I guess. Sorry Warthog. The power of the web has spoken.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 PM
ma_mulcahy

Sorry about your difficulties Wart Hog. This is an example of what happens when a company's growth outpaces its ability to manage that growth. The real question now is whether they will be able to survive debacles like this and rebuild their good name. It takes forever to build a good reputation and minutes to lose it......
Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Wart Hog

I'm like a lot of y'all. I've been in this sport for over 30 years and have seen a lot of changes. Most were very good for all of us. Some have been hard on us. But one thing throughout all of it is the fact that without customer support you will become another Goldberg, Sig or Byron's. All of them were giants in our sport but have become a footnote in RC history. Don't get me wrong. All three of them had fantastic customer service, they just lost the customers. A lot in part to the advent of the ARF
Yes, I build and fly those as well so I guess i am partly responsible for their demise.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I quit dealing with TBM several years ago when they charged me $11 shipping for a $17 servo. They just aren't on my "Buy-From List".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.