Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Installing Saito engine in Revolver 70 question

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Installing Saito engine in Revolver 70 question

Old 03-15-2014, 10:12 AM
PDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Saito engine in Revolver 70 question

Hello all,
I'm at the point of installing the Saito 100 in my GP Revolver 70 and just saw that the throttle arm on the engine is complete opposite of the installation procedure ( the recommended engine of the ARF is a OS .90 and the throttle are is opposite. The engine is mounted on it's side with the head of the engine facing the right side of the fuse, on the OS the throttle arm would then be oriented on the bottom of the engine compartment and the Saito the arm is on the topside of the fuse. Has anyone installed an Saito in the Revolver and if so could I get some suggestions on how they oriented the linkage and servo to accomadate this alteration.
Thank you for all your help,
Pat
Old 03-16-2014, 06:46 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you rotate the carb 180 degrees? That is what I did with my OS 95V.

Bruce
Old 03-16-2014, 08:56 AM
bhady

Just rotate the carb 180 degrees.
bhady
Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM
PDF

Thank you for the replies, I'm not 100% sure since I never did it before. I just took a look at it and it seems that it may be possible, Have any of you done this with a Saito 100? I'll call Saito tommorrow and will have to ask. There's nothing in the manual stating if it could be done.
Thanks again,
Pat
Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a Saito .91 mounted in my Revolver 70 and did not have to change anything. But, I am finishing up a Hangar 9 Christen Eagle II and the throttle arm was on the opposite side of the throttle rod and servo. Thus, I just rotated the carb 180 degrees as others have recommended.

At first I was a little nervous about rotating the carb, as I have never rotated a carb on a four stroke before, but after looking at it, found that it is a very simple procedure.

Just go for it. It is very simple. Can say that now that I have done it !
Old 03-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Jim Schwagle

Yes, done it before. Unscrew the carb. Turn 180, Rescrew. All you need to make sure is that the intake O-rings are still properly seated.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:30 PM
PDF

Thanks again, I'll give it a go. Granpoopa the reason I'm rotating it is because the throttle servo per instructions is mounted behind the fuel tank and the linkage runs besides the tank and out the firewall. That to me means I'd have to have the throttle linkage coming out low just under the engine mount. My Saito having the engine mounted on it's side with the exhaust and heads facing out the right side of the cowl has the throttle linkage up toward the top of the engine compartment. Did your Saito line up like mine and if so how did you route the linkage.
Thanks again,
Pat
Old 03-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by PDF
Thanks again, I'll give it a go. Granpoopa the reason I'm rotating it is because the throttle servo per instructions is mounted behind the fuel tank and the linkage runs besides the tank and out the firewall. That to me means I'd have to have the throttle linkage coming out low just under the engine mount. My Saito having the engine mounted on it's side with the exhaust and heads facing out the right side of the cowl has the throttle linkage up toward the top of the engine compartment. Did your Saito line up like mine and if so how did you route the linkage.
Thanks again,
Pat
My Saito .91 is mounted sideways in my RV70 with the head and exhaust facing to the right side of the model. I did not have to change anything on my Saito as the throttle rod / linkage lined up perfectly. I am thinking that perhaps somebody at the factory just mounted the carb on your Saito facing in the wrong direction and as stated all you would have to do is rotate it 180 degrees.

As stated by Jim all you have to do is just make sure that your O rings are properly seated. Just take your time, be careful with the rotation and I am sure that it will work out fine.

As I said, I had to do the same thing with my Saito 125 to mount it in my Christen Eagle. I have had about five 4 stroke engines and this was the first that I ever had to rotate the carb.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Jim Schwagle
Yes, done it before. Unscrew the carb. Turn 180, Rescrew. All you need to make sure is that the intake O-rings are still properly seated.
Have never thought about " Three " useless things for a pilot. Always knew about two and they are " runway you left behind " and " fuel that you burned ". As far as " altitude above you " ? Well I have used that on numerous occasions, especially to get over bad weather, thus it was useful.

Last edited by Granpooba; 03-17-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Jim Schwagle

Once you're on top of the weather, anything above you is useless, at least that's the way my instructor quoted it, these many years ago.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Jim Schwagle
Once you're on top of the weather, anything above you is useless, at least that's the way my instructor quoted it, these many years ago.
Naw, personally I can not agree with your instructor. LOL Can always go higher to reduce your fuel burns, thus increasing your range. If it was not for altitude, most turbine powered aircraft would have a difficult time making it from point A to point B.

P.S. Which one was your instructor, Wilbur or Orville ? LOL Just kidding Jim !
Old 06-22-2016, 03:18 PM
RC-CAKES
My Feedback: (4)

Has anyone installed a GAS Saito in this model? The fuselage appears to be thin and compact. Is there enough room for the ignition box and battery? I have a FG-14 and it would probably pull this plane around nicely. Any ideas?