Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 12:49 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

Still working on my "improvements" for this year. I sent in my ZDZ40 for warranty work. It wasn't priming very well with the Bing carb so they replaced it no charge and put in a walbro, like all the new ZDZ40's have. I re-installed the zdz40 along with the new TME smoke system. Compared to last year, I hope the performance is as good. Last year it was a real joy to fly and it landed great.

I am a little worried because now, I have the smoke system, 2 additional battery packs, vinyl decals, bennett gear braces and 1/4" steel gear bracing rod. I am not sure how much I added total, but I am guessing it might be around 2-3 pounds when you factor in a full 20 ounces of smoke fluid. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will still fly good.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with theirs that might keep me at piece until the snow thaws? I haven't weighed it yet. Kangke lists an average weight of 14-16 pounds. I figure even if I tip the scales at 18 pounds, the wing loading is still around 28.

Sbaug
Old 02-20-2005, 07:11 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: SitNFly

RC Showcase sells combo kits with Kangke ARF's and ZDZ engines at good prices. Go to www.rcshowcase.com
Plane will be here by Wed. it's already ordered.

The BME 44 comes in at 2.6 lbs. another 7oz for the muffler I want. The new 50cc comes in at 3lbs. I have some time yet and just watching for a deal. Hoping someone wants to sell out of the BME 44 and move up to the new 50 and I can sneak a deal.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:40 PM
KCCraig
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys,
I seem to remember from very early posts that this Waco was designed to be an alternitive to the Ultimates, Caps, Edges, etc.
So you that have finished and flying your Waco's, what do you think? Is it capable of 3D? What about hovering, walls, blenders etc.?
I am trying to decide on the Waco or the GP Super Stearman. I know the Strearman will not be a good 3D machine, but I'm not sure the Waco will be either.
Now don't think I am expert 3Der, far from it, but it would be nice to have a good flyer that I could expand the flight envelope on as I learn more. I consider myself a very good flyer, but have not moved into 3D yet.
I am particularly interested in the Waco's flying with the zdz 40's. I own a FPE 2.4, (41cc), strong light engine, I really like it. I think it would compare favarably with the ZDZ. Are your ZDZ Waco's competition for the aerobats listed above?

Craig
Old 02-22-2005, 10:20 AM
sbaugz

McCraig, I have the combo you are referring to. I have flown mine about 6-8 times, so I am by no means an expert yet. I will say, with the ZDZ40 you have gobs or power required for 3D. In addition, the large control surfaces and wing area most likely will make it perform 3D fairly well. I have not flown mine 3D yet, but I bet it would 3D better than say the christen eagle or pitts (with their smaller and shorter wings). I doubt it will 3D as well as the ultimates but I can't say for certain.
Unfortunately, I won't know until may or june, which is when our flying season begins in northern wisconsin.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:30 PM
BULL-RCU

OK so the WACO is here... all I can say is WOW... I've built like 12 arfs and this is the best... Most expencive too but the best... Can't wait to get started... I got the Beige one... Went to hardware store today and brought home a bunch of paint chips to see color I'm going to paint the trim. Undecided about Trim color. This is going to be fun! I'm going to read through the post to see any tips that were left. If you guys think of something that stands out let me know. Ready to order the landing gear re-enforcments from B&B.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:16 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

PAINT! Come on use ultracote, they have lots of colors in normal and sticky.

If you like it now, wait until you fly it!

I'm waiting to fly mine again until it's warmer. When I was younger I couldn't understand guys not flying in the winter, now if I want to be cold, I'll cool off with a couple of Coors.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:35 AM
BULL-RCU

I second the Coors! I'm not sure on the Ultrcoat to trim or paint... Really want something different and want this not to look like all the rest. But let me tell you... I'm just going stir crazy wanting to jump on this one and get it done. I'm in Upstate NY so I have 2 months to finish it.....
Old 02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
BULL-RCU

Can you guys with the gas engines post a couple pics of your plane with mufflers sticking through cowl just to see how they look. Side and pitts style. Think I'm going to go with pitts style rap around rear. Just trying to see what looks better. Also going to add smoke system and deciding if the side mount might be better / easier to produce smoke or pitts style... Any opinion?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:07 PM
sbaugz

sorry bull-rcu, I can't help you at the moment with pics. Mine is still dis-assembled from the improvements I am installing.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:24 PM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: sbaugz

sorry bull-rcu, I can't help you at the moment with pics. Mine is still dis-assembled from the improvements I am installing.
Thanks anyhow.... I went back through the post and on line and search for people with both styles and pretty much decided to go with the rap around pitts style muffler...

Think I am going to paint the trim too. I have done tons of painting on RC cars and the color choice is unlimited with laytex. I'm not going to do the traditional WACO trim. I want something a little different... Not ging to go crazy with the paint sceme and turn it into a circus plane either!

I've decided on the Brison 2.4 weight is light ....$$$ is low. LOL so that's a good combo for me. Going to look for a like new or go new. Add a pitts style rap muffler with smoke.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:18 PM
BULL-RCU

What size B&B landing gear standoffs did everyone use... 3/16" or 1/4" Is theremuch difference?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:40 PM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Well Bull the difference would be 1/16-could not help myself.I used the 3/16 and they work great.Really stiffen up the gear.You will love this bird with the 2.4 the ZDZ 40 really pulls this plane well and she flys as great as she looks.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:58 PM
sbaugz

I used the 1/4" landing gear standoffs.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:23 PM
richegge

Greetings all,
I'm new to this list so please bear with me if I seem to be out of touch. I'm trying to locate a set of plans for the WACO biplane. I'm an instructor at a technical school and teach Machine Tool Technology. I'd like to have my CNC students build a wind tunnel model of the WACO. By "wind tunnel" I mean something that is shaped just like the real thing but is solid. Weight is not a concern as it will never fly. It would be a great exercise in 3D computer modeling and surface toolpaths. Ideally I would like blueprints that can be scanned.
Any and all help is appreciated!
Richard Egge [email protected]
Old 03-09-2005, 07:03 PM
sbaugz

Not sure you will get much help on this thread since the Kangke Waco we are posting about is an ARF and nobody has blueprints for it.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 PM
BULL-RCU

Go to kit building I'm sure someone will have plans for a Waco.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:39 AM
ramduster
My Feedback: (2)

I will be getting my Waco ready soon and would like to know and see if you have pictures of how you guys are routing your servo wires down from the the top wing aileron servos to the receiver[sm=confused.gif]
Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Say, has anybody run this plane with glow power?

I'm going lightweight to hopefully get around the landing gear issues some of you seem to be having. Given the performance my trusty MDS 1.48 gave on my 15+lb Ultra Stick, it'll throw this bipe around like a rag doll at 14lbs.

Servos are all installed up front in the tray. BTDT with elevator servos in the tail and a light glow engine on the nose. Makes the lead consortium happy, and the plane fly like ka-ka.

If you're running glow, how are you handling the exits for the elevator pushrods? I'm using the "lightening holes" at the tail. They're in just the right place, maybe just a little big, but functional and hidden from view by their location under the horizontal stab. I can't believe they were put there for anything else. They're the only lightening holes in the entire plane (yes, the rest of it is sticks, but still), and what little material has been removed wasn't worth the effort to design them in.

How'd your cabane struts fit? Mine were too wide side-to-side, and too close together front-to-back. They needed some tweaking, but ended up absolutely perfect if I do say so myself.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Your 1.48 will pull it fine. I have a 170R3 on mine and flew it twice before it got too cold to fly, it had plenty of power.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:37 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have a Moki 1.35 in mine. It flys ok but I want a bit more vertical so I am going with a Moki 1.8
Old 03-22-2005, 02:29 AM
blood_hound

For smoke on mine I have the stock tank along with a 12 oz Hayes slim line mounted on top of it directly over the CG. Plenty of room in front of it for an additional 4 oz smoke header tank if more capacity is needed.

Mine is just about ready to fly and I just need to finish up the ailerons and mount the last of 4 switches and it’s good to go.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:42 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sbaugz,

I have been flying a GP stearman with the Zenoa 26. Airplane weighs 15 lbs with smoke, fly nice.

What do you think of using the 26 in the Waco? I just bought the Waco and am thinking of which engine to power it with.

Stan
Old 04-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I used 3/16" on mine. Haven't flown it yet though.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:16 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Stan,I would go with a 2.4 (40cc) as the power is perfect for this plane.I got 5 flights on mine Sat. and really starting to ring her out.The ZDZ40 gives me great vertical and I am at 5000ft. elevation.She does great tumbles and really pretty inverted flat spins.Still amazed at how easy it lands but make sure you beef up the landing gear as this is the only weak part of a really nice plane.Of all the planes I have had this one gets the most positive remarks at the field.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:28 PM
l.wilber
My Feedback: (3)

Man oh man is that a sexy airplane. Maybe offer some different colors or even ARC. I wish there were more ARC's out there. I don't like my plane looking like the other members... but I don't have time to build. You choose your favorite covering and cover as you like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.