Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 07:00 PM
mga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

Like the skis beeter.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:10 AM
mga

Any pictures of the smoke system installation, especially where did you install the smoke tank. Thanks
While I am at it, I am showing what I did re the hinges. I have had CA hinges on the Stearman Rudder and the rest I had Robarts, the CA did give out finally, but was lucky it happend on the ground. So no more CA for me, only Robarts or the swivel hinges with a piano wire .047 which I installed on the Waco. As you can see, the piano hinge helps close the gap also. Not as close as CA but I like the realibility of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20705.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	362043  
Old 11-29-2005, 06:52 PM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your question about the smoke tank in my Stearman for me? If So, the Smoke tank 16 oz is located right behind the fuel tank. I glued two rails inside the radio compartment close to the wing saddle. I cut a piece of light ply and mounted it accross the rails and held it in place with 4 screws. I mounted the tank below the light ply(when you look in the radio compartment all you see is the light ply board, Tank is below). That leaves enough room to mount your smoke pump below the tank. I mount the reciever on the side of the radio compartment. I use one 2700 mah Nickle metal hydryd(sp) for all the functions , pump, servos, and reciever. Servos are behind the smoke tank. Close but it works out well.

Hope this helps
Stan
Old 11-29-2005, 09:25 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

My plane is stored away for the winter so I can't get pics of the mount. But my smoke take is mounted directly under my fuel tank. my smke pump is mounted to the back side of my fire-wall. I used a B&B smoke pump so it works off crant presure so you want the pump as close to the crank as possible. Does not need a battery to operate.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:09 PM
bluehawkbm

Hey BULL-RCU,
Im trying to mount my brison 2.4 with the wrap around pitts muffler and am having some clearance problems. Could you tell me how you done yours and what length of standoff mounts that you used.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 12:35 PM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: bluehawkbm

Hey BULL-RCU,
Im trying to mount my brison 2.4 with the wrap around pitts muffler and am having some clearance problems. Could you tell me how you done yours and what length of standoff mounts that you used.

Thanks
I don't remember how long they were, but I will check. I just used 1 1/2 round wood dowels from hardwere store, drilled hole in middle for bolt. used large washers behind to get off set. Pretty simple and worked great. I did have to cut back the bottom of the firewall just a bit on the bottom where the muffler sits. Just pealed back the covering a little on the bottom & sides and where the muffler sets. I left little indent piece, cut beside it and under it pushed it down and away from where muffler sitsto give more clearence, then epoxied it. Sounds like a lot of work but wasn't as much as you think.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:52 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

OK-- I started my Waco today. Only problem was the hardware. I don't mind the metric, but I stripped 2 blind nuts installing the M struts on the fuse. Anybody else have that problem?

I will say that I think this is one of the best ARFs I have ever seen, and believe me, I have had a few. I love the overall design-- the hatch is a super idea and the quick installation of the tail surfaces and then using the braces (already made up) for the support is wonderful. I see that a power screwdriver is a must for assembly at the field, but that is not really an issue.

Will the supplied stopper for the tank work with gas? Also I picked up FPE 2.4 -- can I go ahead and mount the servos in the tail?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:17 PM
ramduster
My Feedback: (2)

Yes the stopper will work for gas. I love my waco.

Name:	Fd92775.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	369050  
Old 12-12-2005, 09:38 PM
BULL-RCU

Will the supplied stopper for the tank work with gas? Also I picked up FPE 2.4 -- can I go ahead and mount the servos in the tail?
[/quote]

Yes, you can put your servos in the tail. I used a Brison 2.4 and put mine in the tail. I used a B&B smoke pump and mounted it to the firewall(inside) but I think the FPE is a touch heavier then the Brison.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:00 AM
mga

The weight of the FPE, included the electronic ignition and muffler, were as the Bison it does not. So you have to add the weight of the muffler and ignition to the Bison, then I think the FPE is a little lighter. Would you have a pic of your installation of the B&B smoke pump. That would be much apreciated. as I also have one, and have not done the install yet. Which size fitting did you use on your crankcase for the pump. Hoping you have some pics. the two pics one is of the pilot. you can also see some of the graphics by Model grafix, they are really first quality, a little expensive, but worth every penny, and very easy to install. The other pic is that I went with the swivel hinges and piano wire, I fell much safer with this system than the ca hinges, not that the ca are no good, it is just me. Also the piano wire closes a bit of the gap. Thanks

Name:	Pn35435.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	369262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24693.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	369263  
Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

I am finishing up mine now also with a FPE. I am installing the elevator servos in the tail right now.
Which Spinner and what size are you using. I checked with Tru turn and they want almost 70 dollars for a 3 inch cut out for a 20-10 prop. I almost feel a nice prop nut would look as good as a spinner.

What do you all think?

Stan
Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 AM
mga

I am using a 2 1/2 spinner, I forgot the brand name, as I threw away the package, I bought it at Al's hobby shop in Elmurst near Chicago..I paind if I remember under 30 dollars. I will modify it for the Biala Prop I bought for it. If you look at the real Waco, compared to the cowling the spinner is not that big. Look at the spinner on the Super Stearman by Great Planes, the one that comes with the kit, I think it is about the same size 2 and some inches. I modified it and now have over 400 flights on it, without any problems. All you have to do, is widen the slots for the bigger prop, and do it with a dremel with the round barrel sanding one. it takes time and many little sanding barrels, but it does a good job. I hope you can see well enough the spinner on the Stearman. I am still flying it in the snow with skis, we fly almost every day. So building time is limited.

Name:	He96963.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	369276  
Old 12-13-2005, 12:44 AM
mga

I thought you would get a kick out of my pilot. The steel wool gets all the snow, and it is quiet funny to see when I come in for a landing. sometimes his hair is all white. We fly often when it is snowing. We have a large mit that covers the trans, and it is a lot of fun.

Name:	Mk26265.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	369286  
Old 12-13-2005, 07:13 AM
BULL-RCU

I will try and get a few pics for you this week. The plane is stored at my buds house. I'll try and get over there at take a few pics for you. It was a pretty easy install. smoke tank fit right under fuel tank. B&B pump to top fire wall.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:34 AM
mga

Sounds, simple, but still like to see it. You always learn from others.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:04 AM
mga

I don't know if you already posted it, but what did it end up with its total weight. I can't see finishing mine at under 15lbs, as the fuse is 9 inches longer than the Stearman, and my Stearman weighs 16 lbs and a few ounces. It flies extremely well with the FPE 2.4. Also for those that are using the FPE 2.4 they have a new muffler for it the standard side pipes, but it is much quieter. I think he will sell it around 75 dollars, and also if you have not used the one that comes with the engine, will take a trade in plus some bucks.I highly recommend it, as I got more power, less vibration, due to less back pressure. It is a whole new design internally, the box is a little bigger, and the pipes a little longer.Also the bolts that hold it down, now go into a tunnel, so the alignment is easy. Worth doing.So get hold of Kurt at FPE, they are on the web, I don't think Sig has them yet, but not sure.

Name:	Om32460.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	369366  
Old 12-13-2005, 08:33 AM
mga

some of the grafixs. I have added a few more. I like a lot of grafixs on a plane. I just fly them, not show them, so it is my personal choice.

Name:	Rp42484.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	369369  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:08 PM
BULL-RCU

One thing I highly recommend putting on the plane.... The B&B landing gear re-enforcments... They work great.....
Old 12-13-2005, 11:13 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

One thing I highly recommend putting on the plane.... The B&B landing gear re-enforcments... They work great.....
Better than that-- is to have a buddy that had TNT make a replacement gear for his Laser 200. Then let him crach it and you will find that the Laser gear will bolt right up to the Waco. And if he is a good friend he will give it to you for free----and give you the Ultra Coate paint to match.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 AM
mga

Yes, I got those, the 3/16th size, because that Aluminum landing gear that comes with it, is pretty thin.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:47 PM
mga

Still waiting to see the pictures of the smoke install by B&B. here is my install of the B&B gas and smoke tank system. Really neat. Also the B&B reinforcement landing gear system. Again first rate and good quality system.
I also have the fuel filler and oil and I forgot the name of the system. very simple. I put a rubber grommet on the side wher the tubing goes through. blue for oil and yellow for gas.
I am waiting to see the oil pump install before I do mine.
Thanks

Name:	Wu60501.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	371128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12907.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	371129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31967.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	371130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76597.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	371131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89580.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	371132  
Old 12-16-2005, 10:03 PM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: mga

Still waiting to see the pictures of the smoke install by B&B. here is my install of the B&B gas and smoke tank system. Really neat. Also the B&B reinforcement landing gear system. Again first rate and good quality system.
I also have the fuel filler and oil and I forgot the name of the system. very simple. I put a rubber grommet on the side wher the tubing goes through. blue for oil and yellow for gas.
I am waiting to see the oil pump install before I do mine.
Thanks
Sorry for the delay. My plane is stored at a friends house and I haven't had a chance to get over there. With your smoke tank on the top with the vent and fill line doesn't the top piece hit the hoses or did you cut ot make a spot to fit? I

I just placed my pump against the fire wall (Foam behind the pump) at the front and place the valve on the left side... mounted the servo left side and used ni-rod to connect.

I'll try and get pics.

One more note... Make sure you fasten the hoses for the smoke pump with sip ties. I know they seem to go on real hard but with the presure they can blow off... I know from experience.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 PM
mga

If you look closely, I have tie raps on all connections. No intrusion from the top as they have a total opening at that point. maybe it is a change they did in the later productions.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Buteos

Has anyone mounted a 4 stroke in one of these and if so what size and how does it fly?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 AM
BULL-RCU

I'm not sure if any one has, but I'm sure a 150 - 180 would fly it fine. Depends on if you want to fly it scale or more aerobatic. I fly a 71" wing Gee Bee on an os 120 and it weighs more then my Waco which has way less wing loading...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.