Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke Waco Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke Waco Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:40 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke Waco Biplane

ORIGINAL: sbaugz

nice video. Is your smoke tank like 4 gallons? Seems like your smoke was on for 10 minutes straight.

The video was the second time I used the smoke. It's a 16oz tank. I would say actual time is good for 8 - 10 min. I hope to make a better video next summer. I've gotten much better at timing the smoke. It's my first plane with smoke and it's weird at first flipping a switch trying to time the smoke with manuvers... ect. The actual flight was a lot longer about 15min. I'm more comfertable with the plane and flying it using the smoke system. The next video will be better flying. My friend who shot it edited it and tried to focus on the smoke shots video.

The B&B system works great and is easy to set up.

I just picked up a LAZY ACE Biplane 96" wing today It's framed only in RAW stage, but can't wait to get started on that bip in the air!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:42 PM
clm
My Feedback: (24)

BULL RCU,

Where did you get your canopy? It looks good on the Waco.

Also where did you get the snoopy?

clm
Old 02-03-2006, 08:53 PM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: clm

BULL RCU,

Where did you get your canopy? It looks good on the Waco.

Also where did you get the snoopy?

clm

The Snoopy is off ebay. It was an unpainted plastic head. Perfect sz. Not sure if they are still available. The Canopy is off a Great Planes 40 sz Extra 300S... My best friend crashed one this last year. I was at his house saw it and the rest is history. Actually I tinted the canopy with RYE DYE a light Brown and had to trim it. I like it too. It gives the WACO a little more sporty look. I had mine at an AIR show this summer and there was the Red one there done stock and a bunch were surprised when I said mine was the same model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46583.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	401404  
Old 02-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Has anyone made carbon fiber landing gear for this plane yet?

BULL... really enjoyed your video. I love flying my Waco and it looks like you do as well.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 PM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: Birddog-RCU

Has anyone made carbon fiber landing gear for this plane yet?

BULL... really enjoyed your video. I love flying my Waco and it looks like you do as well.

Birddog

Thank you... I love my WACO... At the end of the season it was my everyday flyer. I wish I would have made a video in the end. Next Year! Birddog do you still use Zingger props? I started with one and went to a BME and it made a world of difference in performance. I wish I could say that it was my idea for color and canopy but the idea was Borrowed... Shared... LOL or stole the idea from a guy who made one of the original proto-types... He was good enough to share pics and ideas with me.

I haven't talked to anyone yet who has built this arf that didn't think it was top notch and love to fly the plane once it was done.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

I used Zinger props at first as well but switched to APC. I think I'll take a look at the BME and see how it does. What size are you using? I have to admit I do not like six bolt prop hubs on this size engine. [sm=disappointed.gif]
Old 02-14-2006, 06:29 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys I just finished mine and am waiting on weather. I have a FPE with the fixed ignition and my initial thoughs are to use a 3W 20/10 that I happen to have. Another option is a Bambula 20/10 old style with the square tips. This is my first FPE 2.4 and I don't know what to expect for RPMs. Any thoughts? Is this the right prop? I too, do not use Zinger props-Lots of RPMs- not enough pull especially on bipes with a lot of drag.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:09 AM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: Birddog-RCU

I used Zinger props at first as well but switched to APC. I think I'll take a look at the BME and see how it does. What size are you using? I have to admit I do not like six bolt prop hubs on this size engine. [sm=disappointed.gif]
I used 20/8 Zinger at first... sucked... I then went to a 18/10 BME. I'm still experementing with props for this engine. Would like a 19/10 or now that it's broken in more I might go back to the 20/8
The diffference of pull with the BME over the Zinger is night and day.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:31 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

The diffference of pull with the BME over the Zinger is night and day.
I discovered that years ago with my GP Pitts-- the 1st one-- A Zinger pro 22/10 on my Taurus was 7100 RPM and then at the advice of Bill O I switched to a PK Plus 22/8 and the RPMs dropped to the 6200 range but I had to add 4 clicks of down trim because of the extra pull. I have sinced develoved a love for slower turning, but better grabbing props. IOW-RPMs are over rated! It's more about how the plane flys.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:33 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

AJF-2,

I have a fpe in mine also. I have about 35-40 flights now. I asked the man who builds the engine in PA which prop he recomended,as the gear is very springy and I did not want to break an expensive prop in the begining.
He said that the Cheap black prop (can't remember the name), (20-10)ran the engine very well. I bought one,(15.00 dollars)he was right. Airplane has unlimited verticle.
The prop has not broken yet so I continue to use it. I cannot think of the name of the prop right now. but there are not to many cheap black props on the market. The prop does say Classic series on both blade in large white letters.

Stan
Old 02-14-2006, 07:43 AM
BULL-RCU

Tucson

It is probably a Master Airscrew Classic. In reguards to RPMS from what I have read it should be around that 7200-7300., but quality prop does make a difference.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 AM
tucson

Thanks Bill,

That is the name of the prop. To early in the morning here<G>. I have done a lot of IMAC competion in the past and agree with you that certain props work better then others.

However as I said it has unlimited verticle, flys great. One of these days I will probably put a Menz on it. I have a 20-10 at home right now, but have been to lazy to change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it<G>

Stan
Old 03-23-2006, 07:45 AM
mga

Hi, has anyone have a picture of the bottom of the top wing, on how the ailoron servos wires are held to the wing to reach the cabane strutts. Rather that hem just coming down. Would like to see that. Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 01:44 PM
mga

Would like to know what your Waco's came out in weight. Mine, with 4 servos for ailorons, Time smoke pump,B&B landing gear reinforment, 4 power packs, one for receiver, one for matchbox, one for smoke pump and one for engine. All that it came out at 17lbs 6oz. I know it wont be a problem as my Super Stearman weighs 17lbs and has less wing area and it flies beautifully. both plane have the FPE 40cc.
I would be curious to know what weights out there in the Waco family.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 02:08 PM
tucson

Mine weighs somewhere between 16 and 17 pounds. Probably 16 1/2. It flys very well, but I wish it weighed a lb less. Mine also has the FPE 40cc.

I found the incidence difficult to set up and the gear a little to springy. And those #3 screws to hold the Cabane and I Struts together are a pain to get started at the field. The 4-40's in the Stearman are a snap.

Other then these few items the airplane is a good one and flys great.

Stan
Old 03-24-2006, 02:14 PM
mga

So the screws are metric. I thought the were 8/32, but they did not work. Are they no. 3 for the wing hold down and the top cover. I can tell you with the B&B landing gear reinforment kit, It is very stiff, and that wont be a problem. You should seriously look at that kit. A little weight added, but worth it.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:49 PM
tucson

No not 8-32's. I struts and Cabane hold down screws are #3's. Hatch is larger.
I probably should stiffen the gear, but I am lazy right now. Maybe in the future.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:47 PM
bluehawkbm

Wow these weights seem a little on the heavy side. My waco has a brison 2.4. It also has 4 servos for the ailerons but no smoke system. Mine came out at 15 lbs 4oz
Old 03-26-2006, 05:10 PM
mga

Like I said, I have the smoke, and 4 power paks. I re weighed it, as I found that I had 5 power pack in the plane by mistake. It now weighs 17lbs. I have the smoke and also the matchbox for the ailorons. I am not worried about the weight as the Super Stearman flew at over 17lbs very well. I have over 700 flights on it. Now I just put it away for the summer, as it is now my winter plane. Also the B&B gear stiffener is very heavy. and I am sure that is what is showing most of the weight. But it is worth have them.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:16 PM
tucson

How did you weigh yours? 15 lbs seems about a pound low. We have 3 Waco's on our field and they all weigh over 16 pounds.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:29 PM
mga

I wieighed my with a commercial electronic scale, from 6oz to 150lbs very accurate to the ounce. It came out at 17lbs with all the stuff in it. So you guys that have Waco all over 16lbs sounds right. I find the 15lbs a little low, unless they went with lipos and some carbon fiber landing gears and prop. Unless their scale is off a bit.
Today, I ran the engine, and tested the smoke system, all worked fine. Now just waiting for the weather to warm up, as we no longer fly on the ice at the lake, as it is no longer safe. So we have at least 3 to 4 weeks before the field dries enough not to damage it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79945.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	433573  
Old 03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
tucson

Come on down to Tucson. Temps have been running in the mid to high 70"s<G> Warm weather for you is just around the corner.
I would like to hear your evaluation compared to the Stearman.
Also which prop you find best to use with your FPE.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:27 AM
mga

I fly 20x10 Master Airscrew Wood. I have about 50 gallons of gas in this engine, and it still runs like new. That is why I am a FPE fan, I also have a 52cc FPE and I am getting their 70cc engine soon.
The reason for wood, less weight, less damage if a crash to the crankshaft. I have been lucky, props last over 200 flights.
Re RPM about 5800 to 6100, I do not run them lean lean to get more rpm. I do not like to overheat the engine with lean runs. In the cold weather we go at least 1/2 a turn richer.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:19 PM
bluehawkbm

You guys are right about my weight being a little low. All I had to weigh the plane on was digital bath scales. After reading your post I checked my scales by several different 10 lb weights and they were weighing about 9.8 lbs. That would be about 3.2 ounces per 10 pounds so my weight is off by about 6 ounces or so. That would put be at about 15 lbs 10 ounces.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:31 AM
clm
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: mga

Would like to know what your Waco's came out in weight. Mine, with 4 servos for ailorons, Time smoke pump,B&B landing gear reinforment, 4 power packs, one for receiver, one for matchbox, one for smoke pump and one for engine. All that it came out at 17lbs 6oz. I know it wont be a problem as my Super Stearman weighs 17lbs and has less wing area and it flies beautifully. both plane have the FPE 40cc.
I would be curious to know what weights out there in the Waco family.
Thanks

My WACO came in at 15.25 lbs.
FPE2.4, four 3010 Futaba in the wings, two 5925MG in elev, 5945MG pulpul rudder, CF prop, stock main gear (no B&B stiffner lbs). Used new digital postal scale.
I just got a CF main gear but did not put it on yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.