Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kyosho gee bee

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kyosho gee bee

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 06:43 PM
pipescs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho gee bee

Are you flying on grass or pavement?
Old 04-17-2003, 08:45 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Kyosho gee bee

I'm on Grass.

Upon further examination, it looks like one of the landing gear blocks is loose. This is not good, since I have the fiberglass belly scoop glued over the gear legs. Trying to decide how to get in there to fix.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:57 AM
hoovdog
My Feedback: (4)

Default Kyosho gee bee

I've got mine almost done but I'm scared to death of it. I bought it last summer along with an OS .70 4-stroke. I'm not the most experienced pilot and just a little leary of it. I figure I'm just going to admire it as a static model for awhile longer until I get the nerve to fly it. Could take a year or so.... It was such a nice looking plane I thought I had to own one. I guess it's a case of my eyes being bigger than my britches!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:36 AM
flynut007
My Feedback: (31)

Default Kyosho gee bee

Dont be scared of it....the gee bee flyes great...I fly mine all the time, its just touchy on elevator, but when you get used to it you will really like it!!
Old 04-21-2003, 03:42 PM
pipescs

Default Kyosho gee bee

To Daven

Both of my landing gear blocks came loose last year (Poor glue Joint) Just cut a 1and a half inch square hole in the top of the wing over the point where the gear sticks up into the wing. It will not show after you patch it as the hole will be covered by the fuselage. Re glue the block down and put a 3/32 balsa patch over the hole. You should not have to remove the gear or fairing.

I flew mine this week end and got in 4 langings with out a hitch. It realy is sweet when flown off the grass. as far as the pitch sensitivity, I turned my throws down last year but am easing them back up this year a little at a time.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:15 AM
daven

Default Kyosho gee bee

Great idea about cutting in from the top. With the wide fuze, it should be no problem covering up the patch. I'll probably do both sides while I'm at it.

A friend of mine had the same problem with his, and we both only made two flights.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:31 PM
pipescs

Default Kyosho gee bee

Is anyone else trying to fly theirs with the big engines yet?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:26 AM
Vulture33

Default Gee Bee with OS 70

I flew mine two weeks ago with an OS 70 4-Cycle swinging an 13x7 prop... plenty of authority... some yaw on full power climbs. I'll adjust the thrust line with washers to correct. Flies great at 1/2 throttle. No problem with the landings 1/4 power until the main wheels touch... power off to slow down until the tail drops... full aft stick to hold the tail down until parked.

Only complaint is the fiberglass pants... minor off field landing after engine died... wheel pants caught the grass and the plane tipped up and crushed the pants... fixed with some work.

I would not fly this plane with a smaller engine but based on the power difference a 52 would be plenty. I just wanted the extra power. I have pictures posed: http://www.webmasterphoto.com/geebee

I'll be flying mine with a buddy who has the same kit with an OS 52 4-cycle on the weekend of May 17th. I'll post some video clips of the flying for high bandwidth readers to see the comparison.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76189_30616.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	8776  
Old 05-06-2003, 11:39 AM
jbrundt
My Feedback: (2)

Default Kyosho gee bee

Vulture,

Nice.

Glad to hear about the flight report with the 70FS. I have my GeeBee still in the box from almost a year ago now. I haven't had time to get it assembled. I also bought a new OS70FS for mine. Eventually I'll get mine together and have it flying.

Looking forward to the videos and comparison with the 52 powered version.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2003, 12:07 PM
pipescs

Default Kyosho gee bee

If we are not blown away down here in Alabama I will try to fly mine this weekend and get some pictures of it outside. I also had to repaint my wheel pants last year after a bad ground loop. They were only scuffed and not near as bad as your photos. I have a .56 Saito in the Gee Bee and a .52 OS in a Kyosho Stearman. There is a world of difference in these two engines. I do not believe I would be comfortable with the OS engine in the Gee Bee.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:41 AM
Vulture33

Default Video has been posted...

Well,

As promised, I posted comparison video: http://www.webmasterphoto.com/geebee

Bottom line: The OS 52 powered version flies great. We were in OKC which is at 1200 feet above sea level. It was swinging an 12x8 master airscrew. The OS 70 was swinging an APC 13x8. In the video the power settings between 50 and 75% and while the potential for good vertical exists the plane is so small that we did not want to get them that far away.

It was also pretty windy as can be heard in the audio 8 MPH with Gusts up to 12 MPH were pretty standard. We did not get video but we had both in the air at the same time and it was a site to behold.

We took the wheel pants off as well since the runway that we cut to fly from was pretty rough and the replacement cost is $80 a set.

Enjoy

Name:	80735_30616.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	8777  
Old 05-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Vulture33

Default Nose Weight

The nose weight required for the OS 52 was 10oz - 4 oz in foam behind the firewall and 6 oz mounted in a box on the motor mount under the cowl. 4.8 Volt 4 Cell NiCad pack immediately behind the firewall... all of which increased the overall plane weight considerably.

The good news was it did not seem to affect the performance at all as can be seen in the video and I would still recommend a motor in the smaller range if that is what is available.

On the other side... the OS 70 with a 6 Vold 6 Cell NiMh pack immediately behind the firewall did not require ANY additional nose weight to balance. My main issue with the 70 is that the plane Yaws considerably at the entry into vertical manuvers and needs to be offset with shims under the motor mount... a small gripe to be sure and it hauls the mail even at 1/2 throttle.

Both planes weighed in between 7 to 8 pounds - heavier than is stated on the Kyosho web site so the wing loading was higher as a result. The main thing to watch for is the landing approach... not terribly fast at .25 throttle but it will drop altitude rapidly at the lower power setting... it still flaired nicely and I even did some 3 point landings with no problem... it is just a plane that you fly to the parking area... I did not mind the faster approach speeds and if taken into account during the landing phase should pose no problems.

Overall, I was impressed with both setups... if you want to offset the weight addition with power than a 70 is the way to go... even with the smaller engines it flies great.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:40 PM
daven

Default Kyosho gee bee

I'm still enjoying low altitude full throttle passes with my O.S. .91fx Two Stroke. NO nose weight was needed to balance, and the sight of it going by at 120 mph is pretty awesome.

I can't imagine floating this thing around like a bumblebee, its a racing plane.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:26 PM
smartman300
My Feedback: (4)

Default Kyosho gee bee

I heard the Gee bee likes to float, you have to have a really shallow glide path and set up really far away on final. Oh well, you gotta try it yourself to see.................
Old 05-27-2003, 10:58 AM
pipescs

Default Kyosho gee bee

I have the Saito .56 in mine with the battery up on the cowl mount ring with no extra weight needed. I had to quit the high speed flat approches as the grass tended to tip it over. So now days I just float it in and try to 3 Pt it.

The Gee Bee is my first and only ARF and I must say it was a nice experiance to build and fly after beefing up the gear mount blocks in the wings.

Name:	81724_17867.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	8778  
Old 05-27-2003, 03:33 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thought I'd share this.....

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...5/geebeez.html

Hopefully, you'll find it informative.....