Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Super Stearman

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Super Stearman

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 10:38 PM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Super Stearman

Mine should be ready by for next weekend. The connecting rod for the ailerons I found did not provide enough throw for the bottom aileron. So I moved the bottom horn which alleviates the problem. Even though the rods are not parallel by dong this, I will sacrifice that to compensate having more aileron throw. I also covered the top wing seam from the wings being glued together. GP should supply some extra covering but I ordered extra red and wasn't too expensive. The kill and receiver switch are in the cockpits which I added gray carpet.. I also altered one of the pilots because the one's that come with it are too similar. I used the "Bennett" easy carb adapter for hookup. Makes things a bit easier. I'm also changing the decals to vinyl. The ones that came with it don't match very well. Overall I'm very pleased with the plane.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:54 AM
catspaw

Has anyone else had a problem with the spinner fitting their gas engine? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned they went with the tru-turn 2.75" T6 spinner with 120 size prop slots. Has anyone else done this, or did you just cut bigger slots and rebalance it?

John
Old 05-09-2004, 12:15 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

thats what i plan on doing. just cutting it to fit.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:22 PM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Well guys I think after much thought, I'm going to go with an OS 1.60 Twin. Anyone using this engine in their Stearman I would like to hear from you please. Based on what I've read online this is a great little engine. What do you think. Thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 08:35 PM
crashland 73

Ive goten my G26 and ran it a bit and it has what I would think to have enough power for the stearman. The original spinner is going to work fine with a 16x8 ma k prop. I got my plane in today. WHOOO a lot of parts.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

I think you may find that you will get better overall performance from the G26 with more prop. Many of us are using 17x8 and 18x6 props with great results in the 8600 range. If you have the ground clearance, do it!
Old 05-13-2004, 09:58 PM
crashland 73

what rpm limit should be avoided with one of these engines? I am getting almost 12,000 at times.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Birddog-RCU

Here is a thread that talks to this topic. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tm.htm#1733757

Ralph Cunningham (RCIGN1) is an expert on Zenoah engines. He converted a G26 to electronic ignition for me and it is the best running engine I have. I think you will find that you are right on the limit of where you should run this engine and that a larger prop is needed to convert those rpm into thrust.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:32 PM
crashland 73

I got the wings done tonight, that went rather well I thought. About the easiest I believe I have done, but I must admit, I did quite a bit of prayin before I started, I guess all of those parts intimidated me a bit. And this is the largest bipe I have built. What do you mean electronic ignition? Mine doesnt have points so is mine allready electronic?
Old 05-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Birddog-RCU

I had the magneto system removed and an electronic spark system powered by a battery installed in the base of the engine. The engine came out 2.5 lbs without muffler. You can see pictures at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1750135 and you will also see that the cooling fins were reduced somewhat.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:29 AM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Well, my Stearman should be ready to fly this weekend. I've got the G26 (which has already flown in another plane) installed and ready to go. When I get home from work tonight, I'll post some pictures of my installation. The engine fits GREAT! I've got only the top of the plug cap protruding along with the exhaust stacks at the bottom of the cowl. On the side, I've got the kill switch, a fuel dot, and I've also got the velocity stack protruding through the cowl (mine is a B&B G26). I didn't want to cut the hole for the velocity stack, but without it, choking the engine becomes an issue. Now I can just put my finger over the velocity stack to bring the fuel into the carb. The best part is the velocity stack looks almost like a scale exhaust stack so it really doesn't detract that much from the plane. I'm planning on flying it this weekend, although I'm not sure if the weather is going to cooperate, so we'll hope for the best. I'll get the pictures taken as soon as I can.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:35 AM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

ron-

What prop are you using for the g26? i have a 16x8 on mine and plan to fly it this weekend. my guess is i could go bigger but by how much?

John
Old 05-14-2004, 07:36 AM
rongreg13

Just some background on my setup--I'm using Hitec 475HB servos w/ a 6 volt battery and Futaba PCM receiver. I replaced the throttle pushrod with a plastic nyrod, and had to make some hard wood standoffs to space the engine away from the firewall. This also necessitated bending the fuel lines coming from the tank so they do not contact the rear of the crank. I'm using a dual clunk setup in the tank with one for fueling/defueling through a fuel dot. The engine has a GP kill switch, the stock dummy radial, and a Tru-Turn 120-slot AT6 Spinner to fit the bigger props this engine turns (I prefer an APC 17x6W). I've got the front pilot stock with a switch/charge jack in the cockpit with him and I customized the rear pilot so the plane isn't being piloted by identical twins. I've also added an i4c digital volt meter in the rear cockpit as well. About the only other mods I made were substituting 4-40 socket head bolts for the 4-40 screws which attach the interplane struts to the wings and I also used 4-40 aileron connections with heavy duty control horns on all of the servos. It's a pretty simple and straightforward plane, so I'm not anticipating any issues. I haven't weighed mine yet, but I'm guessing it will be over 12 lbs. Should perform GREAT with the G26 and I have not balanced it yet, so I can't say if I will need to add ballast or not yet. When I've flown it, I'll post a flight report with the G26.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:39 AM
rongreg13

As a reply to the previous post--I'm using an APC 17x6W, but I've also flown this engine with an APC 18x6W. Both perform GREAT. The 17x6W allows higher revs with better throttle response. On a CG Sukhoi, the 18x6 turned a bit slower but really helped with the vertical. On this plane, I'm going to start with the 17x6W since I won't be performing any 3D-type maneuvers!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 09:04 AM
crashland 73

I will definatly be looking forward to those pics with the G26 instalations. I need some info.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:08 PM
dhillfolk
My Feedback: (195)

I'm about ready to order one of these from Tower & have been trying to find any & all concerns so far w/ the kit via these forums & elsewhere .

I spoke to Warren today from the GP Product support group asking about the hinge slot missalignment & if GP would supply builders w/ enough covering for the wing joints --------these are his answers----

Hinge missalignment ---------they've had sporadic compalints about this-------if you receive a kit w/ this problem. talk to the dealer to get a resolution-or , if you've begun building & then find the problem, send it (the kit) to the GP people for resolution (huh ?)-------these were his words

Covering for wing joints---they don't intend at this time to supply anything for "cosmetic" improvements

So guys , I guess it's the "squeaky wheel gets the grease routine"-------if enough people complain something will be done------if people are content w/ adding new hinge slots & buying a $14 roll of Monecote for a tiny piece the manufacturer should have supplied to maintain the esthetics of thier product-------
then nothing will change, regardless of a manufacture's integrity.
I hope you folks will take the time to contact them if you have a concern, otherwise, improvments may be lost w/ the silent majority
Old 05-14-2004, 12:15 PM
rongreg13

It's a wise idea to seal your hinge gaps anyways, so I'm just using white monokote for the task which also ends up covering up the rehinging that I did on mine. The rehinging is not a big deal as I always run my slot machine through the slots anyways to assure they are the proper width, so there wasn't much to the fix on this plane. Overall it's been a very high quality kit and has had far less re-engineering than many of the other "ARF"s I've put together as of late.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:21 PM
dhillfolk
My Feedback: (195)

Ron
I've appreciated all of your input on this kit which has pretty much inspired me not to wait for "flight proofing" & to go ahead & order.
One can't ignore the severe structural problems that arose w/ the 1/3 Pitts ARF during initial flights for some early unfortunate customers but I don't perceive this plane as undergoing those type of G forces so with this self biased rational counteracting my engineering background----- that tells me --wait !---- , I'm going to take advantage of Towers $25 off thing & do it.
GP wouldn't be where they are today w/o good products, customer support, & the willingness to help should an inherent deficiency show up during the customer flight proofing era of thier designs.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Just an FYI.

I had an issue with the hinge line after assembly. I sent GP a polite email and the in return they sent replacement hinges, CA and a hinge centering tool. I didn't want to cut it apart and send it back, so this was satisfactory to me. Besides, who is to say the next one won't be crooked.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:13 PM
rongreg13

I'm posting my pics of my G26 installation in a new thread in case anyone wants to check them out.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Birddog-RCU

Where? Can you give us a link? Ok... found it http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18...tm.htm#1815028
Old 05-21-2004, 08:17 AM
crashland 73

here is how I am mounting mine...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90842.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	134613  
Old 05-21-2004, 12:10 PM
catspaw

My stearman is supposed to arrive today, and I decided to go with the Saito 1.50 cause its the only engine of the 3 I have to choose from that isn't "promised" to a project that that (conceivably) be ready soon.
I'm going to mount mine at a bit of angle so the head isn't straight down. My only inverted 4 stroke installation is a OS .52 in a Rascal 40, which needs to be started upright the first time of the day. Turning the stearman over is not an option I want to even have avaible!

Not looking forward to breaking in the 150 though. The first one was a bear to do.

John
Old 05-21-2004, 04:45 PM
crashland 73

I had a 150 saito on a ultra stick 120 and it was a power house, but it was a very thirsty engine, but whoa the power.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:19 PM
builder jim

CANNONBALL 200, hows the stearman fly with the saito 180 ? and was hoping that you would tell of any mods , like tank you used ,changed the tank platform? Iam also using the saito 180 w/slimline pitts style muffler, havent got the plane yet , but was hoping to gather up the items needed, to compleat. hey thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.