Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:31 PM
LarryQ
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

THe sure cure for nose overs is to shim the rear 2 screw (nearest the Trailing Edge of the wing) on the retract assy.

1 Popsicle stick shim (thickness) angles the gear enough foward angle to make her taxi like a completely differant bird!

Try it..you'll like it!

Larry
Old 09-18-2005, 10:30 PM
flyboy12
My Feedback: (57)

I have to agree with Larry it realy works
Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you use to shim them and will they retract the same without modifying the bays?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:49 AM
LarryQ

I used a Popsicle stick or an epoxy stir stick..same difference....just cut one to fit lengthwise.
I sanded the cut edges and rounded off the corners.

I placed the shim and drilled it out using the retract as a guide.

As far as retracting, the only thing you may have to adjust is the wheel "Toe In" when the gear is down and locked.

It's a really easy procedure that will gain you a ton of stability on the ground.

If you don't like it, either use 2 sticks, or take them off completely.

Since your not permanently modifying anything, what have you got to loose??

Larry

Old 09-19-2005, 04:15 PM
devildog_0431

Plane was flying great on Sunday until an Accident Occured. I was climbing full power into a Back Loop when I heard the Engine tone change and power cut out, uh-oh [&o] I immediately brought her in and when I landed it right in front of me the Header pipe was hanging by the Pressure Hose [X(] I'm really suprised it didn't come off on my decent since that small hose was holding it on. I parked the plane and investigate, the small threaded and flared header pipe broke off right after the set nut on the outside of the Exhaust Port. Getting the rest of it out was no problem. I am concluding that heat on the pipe and some vibration did this but my engine is running very cool, 30%....and my motor was tight on the mount, the motor mount still lock tighted solid onto the firewall, what the heck ? Prop was balance, spinner good, and spinner fly wheel was good. argh ???!!! It's only a small pipe that a few dollars can remedy but im going to call up Saito and see what they think.

Oh yea........I really need to learn to slow down on approaches.....these tail draggers are tough to get used to, she flys great.......everyone at the field loves the Patriotic Trim Scheme and sound of the bird when doing low passes It always gets the crowds attention and a round of applause [8D]
Old 09-21-2005, 12:04 AM
devildog_0431

I've got a short vid of me flying my plane but I had to land after the first pass....freakin muffler came off some how ?! I lock tighted it and tightened the set nut, argh. Oh well....if anyone here can host it ill email it to you.....we also got attacked by a freakin duck, LOL,....it's so funny, I'd like to post that too if someone can host it.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:49 PM
proulxlaw

Devildog:
Are you using a Saito 100 on yours? If so, you are not the only one this has happened to. I have broken 2 of these pipes on my Saito 100's. The second one being last Mon.. Both of mine broke off at the same place on the threads closest to the lock nut near the motor. The good news is that when I broke the first one, I called Horizon and they sent me another one right out. I have not called about the second one yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78531.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	327472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91805.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	327473  
Old 09-21-2005, 08:24 PM
LarryQ

Houston..We Have A Problem......
And I Do Not refer to Hurricane Rita!

What you have is a MFG flaw plain and simple...

I hope you get a new pipe and they admit to the prob....

Larry
Old 09-21-2005, 08:26 PM
proulxlaw

I hope there's a Horizon rep. that checks in over here...or something.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 PM
devildog_0431

It's releaving that I'm not the only one who has had this problem, but I'm sorry it's happened to others. That is the same exact place that my pipe broke, just a mm from the end of the threading. I've been looking at Saitos Flexible Pipe Exhausts w/ the Pressure Outlet, are they any good ???? The Header Pipe is like $18 on Horizon and the Muffler $20 i think ? thats like $40, and the flexible pipe is only $25......I'm very intrested in this, has anyone ever used these or have any feedback from other pilots who have used them ?

Oh yea....I finally got used to this Warbirds Landing technique.....slowed down my approach speed and waited patiently for the plane to slow down and the nose flared up a little bit for a great 3 wheel touchdown.....finally got it right. First tail dragger and war bird. I was also intrested in the Keleo Header Port Exhaust but I've already cut out a muffler hole in my cowling and it would look a little bit weird w/ that big hole there unless I just cut the other side out to match the muffler side.

Another scale warbird flyer told me to put some rubber tubing over that header pipe to help calm down and absorb the vibration so the pipe doesn't break like that.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:10 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Proluxlaw
Glad to see you are using a Meroke flight bench. They are great arent they. Ever since the AMA published our plans they are every where. I hate flying without one if we travel.

My Saito 100 pipe is fine so far but I will keep my eyes open. Then again I only have 2 flights so far. My Spring Air retracts are in and ready to test fly this weekend. I just might re-balance before I send her up though. Thanks again Larry for the help.
Jack
Meroke R/C
Gold Leader Club
Old 09-21-2005, 10:14 PM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: TOFAST4U2C

Proluxlaw
Glad to see you are using a Meroke flight bench. They are great arent they. Ever since the AMA published our plans they are every where. I hate flying without one if we travel.

My Saito 100 pipe is fine so far but I will keep my eyes open. Then again I only have 2 flights so far. My Spring Air retracts are in and ready to test fly this weekend. I just might re-balance before I send her up though. Thanks again Larry for the help.
Jack
Meroke R/C
Gold Leader Club
Make sure your wheels don't catch on the wheel wells. The struts on the spring airs were quite a bit shorter than stock so I had a bit of a problem with one hanging up. It didn't take much to keep that spring from pushing the gear down - result was a dead stick landing with only one gear coming down in a cycle (had to pull them up and belly land in the grass with no damage).
Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 PM
proulxlaw

If it slows down too much on final, just goose the throttle to get a little air under the wings and this will prevent alot of tip stalls just before landing. I fly at a field where you have to get it right as there is limited runway space. I've lost a few planes because of it but, it has also taught me to get the landings right.

The cops stopped at the field while I was flying this .40 size P51 and I thought someone had complained about a plane flying over their property or something but the cop got out of his car with his radar gun and got the plane in the pic at 92 mph full throttle level flight on a low pass.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73259.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	327563  
Old 09-22-2005, 08:18 AM
TOFAST4U2C

Shakes, I switched to a 2 3/4 inch wheel and theres no more binding.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:22 AM
shakes268

Great! I switched to 3" wheels and it seems to have solved my problem. We'll see this weekend.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:13 AM
LarryQ

I noticed the same thing...struts seem too short.

I have aolder SA strut that was damaged, and started checking to see if the length had indeed changed..

Believe it or not the actual strut tube and the insert are exactly the same length as the old strut.

Yet the old strut held the wheel dead center in the wheel well.

The change that makes them shorter , is the scissor assy on the strut.

It is made in a way that holds the lower (Spring Supported portion) part of the strut deeper into the strut tube than the older version does.

I don't think there is anything we can do about this, as the ovall length has now effectively been changed.

THe result is that the spring also has more "Preload"..and what this is going to change ..I'm not sure.

I found that mine have a resulting overall length differance of @3/8".

I think going to a slightly smaller Wheel is a pretty good compromise solution, but really wish the length was there to continue to use 3-1/4 " tire and wheel.

I bought an 80.00 set of aluminium wheels for the bird, and now can't use them!...

ARRRGGGHHHHHHH

I don't want to call Springair..as I've pestered them enough already....

Larry
Old 09-22-2005, 06:26 PM
TOFAST4U2C

Larry, I had to change wheels because one strut was too short too. It was the Tee at the bottom for the axel mount. Looking up close it was welded together ok to make the tee but they used a shorter tube to weld onto the tee. If you hold both of my struts together they match except for the axel mount. Both of those were off in length.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
LarryQ

Did you actually take apart the strut?

Both tubes on mine are the same compared to my old strut..the diff..really does lie in the scissor.

In order to see this..you will need to completely dissassembe the strut.

In the scissor, remove one "E" clip and then press out the piviot pin.

On mine..It's the scissor joints.

I do see what your looking at..and there is a little length diff on the axle tube..

But I'm still short by 3/8"!

Larry
Old 09-22-2005, 10:02 PM
TOFAST4U2C

Wow Larry thats alot. Mine was only 1/8 shorter due to mismatched tee ends. My sisors look the same though. I was going to call Bill at SA but I wanted to get in the air. He also forgot my quick disconnect fitting. I guess these things are not precision made. I know better next time what to look for.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:01 AM
devildog_0431

I finally got the Dave Brown 3.5" Alloy Spinner today, Must say that it is a beauty and quite a difference from the 3" Plastic one I had, LOL. But it didn't come w/ the Adapter Nut, dangit.......just something else I have to wait on now Have to order a new Exhaust now too....trying to debate on a header and muffler or the Keleo Header system.....hmmmm.....the headers would sound sweet.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 PM
proulxlaw

I called horizon and wihout any questions the rep simply asked if I'd like the straight or curved pipe to replace it and that they would send one right out. I also asked for another set of decals for my H9 Corsair as there weren't any in the box when i got mine and they said sure no problem I'll send out another set with the pipe.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:58 PM
flyboy12
My Feedback: (57)

The pipe on my os 120 fs broke off in the same place during an air show talk about a major let down. Fortunatly my hobby dealer was there and told me to go to the shop and take one off of a brand new engine. I wonder if I called os and told them what happened they would do the same.The engine has only got maybe 3/4 of a gallon through it. any Ideas would be great
Old 09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
shakes268

I've had the worst luck with this airplane but it seems to be a cockroach and won't die - two miracle landings with no damage

After going to smaller wheels I tried to fly it yesterday. I guess even though it seemed to roll fine the wheels were still a little tight. When adding power it nosed over every time on take off. Easy fix, drill out the wheels more but it still cost me 2 $12.00 props. [:@]

Old 09-29-2005, 11:20 AM
LarryQ

Same here....

I'm on my FOURTH WING with this bird!!!!

I just can't get the hang of this plane!

Landing's are either picture perfect...or Broken parts!

I've decided I've thrown enough money at her...this is her FINAL repair...

After this..I'm stripping the radio gear and engine out and sending her to her final resting place.

It has been a real love-hate relationship...and I'm getting a little tired of it!

I'm already looking for my next bird...and leaning towards a nice Extra or Giles.

I don't think I'm going for the warbird deal again anytime soon!

When you see a complete springair setup for sale in the classifieds for a H9 Miss A..then you'll know I filed for Divorce from the Miss....

Larry
Old 10-02-2005, 07:16 PM
shakes268

So who wants to see my beautiful nose overs that happened this week?
It looks like I was just screwing up and not balancing the plane with the elevator however, if you watch in slow motion you can see the left wheel catching and turning inward. I've since drilled out the holes in the wheels a little more and something I had not done before was put a wheel collar on the inside to keep the wheel from sliding in and hitting the strut (which I am sure was the main problem).

It had NEVER done this before and I did nothing different in my take off routine to cause this. [:@] (except have a video camera present)

Also, for anyone wanting to know how the Keleo sounds - this has great audio of the engine.

[link=http://www.jarrodmarshall.com/videos/noseover.wmv]Nose Over Video[/link]

Haven't tried it since I made the new changes so we'll see soon enough!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.