Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Super Skybolt ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Super Skybolt ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Super Skybolt ARF

OOps sorry, You are talking about the Great Planes Skybolt. I wea referring to the Sig Super Skybolt... Sorry bout thet, Never mind.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:50 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is that it's not even CLOSE to May31st and I WANT a SkyBolt!!

Jim
Old 03-18-2006, 10:00 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the original kit version. It was covered just like the box and I had used an OS 120 4 stroke on it. It flew quite well. I eventually traded it to a friend who just had toi have it. I think I got three planes for it. I think the 100 would be a good combo at the lighter weight. A 90 would have flow my heavier version.
ORIGINAL: Don M.

ORIGINAL: AeroDave

man! I think I have to have that plane! Its been a couple of years since I built a bipe. That there looks like a perfect home for my 91 fx.

Anything that pretty deserves a 4 - stroke. I have a Saito 100 that's been idle for about 2 years now.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Yes, I'm talking about the Great Planes Skybolt ARF Bipe... I have already placed my order with my hobby dealer but it's going to be a while. I think I'm going to use a Saito .91 in mine...I don't need it too overpowered, and I think that it should create a good balance of weight versus power. Whattayathink? And there's always the fact that I have the .91 Saito sitting there waiting and ready. That saves me a small bundle... and being a Scotsman, that's something after my own heart!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 AM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

Yes, I'm talking about the Great Planes Skybolt ARF Bipe... I have already placed my order with my hobby dealer but it's going to be a while. I think I'm going to use a Saito .91 in mine...I don't need it too overpowered, and I think that it should create a good balance of weight versus power. Whattayathink? And there's always the fact that I have the .91 Saito sitting there waiting and ready. That saves me a small bundle... and being a Scotsman, that's something after my own heart!
Might want to make sure the plane will balance without having to add a pound of nose weight.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Stickbuilder

My old Sig Skybolts did very well on the OS 120 4 stroke. Is there that much difference between it and the GP version? Never have seen one of them.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

seanychen , First thing first, since nobody has actually HAD one of the GP SkyBolt ARFs yet, I think it might be a little precipitous to start in on the gloom-and-doom and add-a-pound-of-lead-to-the-nose warnings, don't you? The model is advertised as a .60 to .90 size, so I have absolutely no reason to think that using a Saito .91 in the nose would be anything less than ample. A 4-stroke .91 is often heavier than a 2-stroke 60, so my plans should if anything take the nose to the heavier side.

balsabandit, I myself have never seen a Sig Skybolt, although I wanted to. Is it something that Sig still offers? If so, I can go and check out their website. Well, I'll give it a check anyway..

Jim
Old 03-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Stickbuilder

I don't know if they offer it or not. When Maxey and Hazel were running the joint, you could pretty well depend on them, but now...I just don't know.[&o]
Old 03-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Stickbuilder

On a brighter note, It looks as if I may be starting on a 1/5 scale Pica Waco YMF 3/5 really soon.[8D]
Old 03-19-2006, 10:50 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

While most Sig Models are still offered, it would appear that one of the models that failed to make it through the period of attrition was the Sig Skybolt Bipe. I cannot find it anywhere on the website, not in B.I.Y., A.R.F., or any other part. Now, THAT is a shame! I guess the HogBipe and Sun Dancer Bipes have filled that slot in the Sig lineup. Both of which, incidentally, I have and really like. In fact, my next model purchase is to be the Sun Dancer 50 size ARF, so I can have a smaller version of the gasser. I actually bought a Saito .72 and plan to use it for Sun Dancer 50.
But I digress. Still, can there be any doubt that I love Bipes?

Jim
Old 03-19-2006, 01:24 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sig has no plans to ressurrect the Skybolt kit. I asked when I ordered an extra set of plans for mine. Its a complex model, with lots of oddball hardware.

The Sig is somewhat smaller than the GP; and I assume that this new GP ARF will be the same size as the kit was.

balsabandit, you put a 1.20 four-banger in the Sig? Jeez, it must have been a rocket. And there couldn't have been much cowl left over either.

If I build this one, I'll somehow do a Super SkyBolt cowl to help hide the 91 Surpass I plan to use. I'd rather sell the kit and move on, but I've offered it twice on The Marketplace; no serious bites.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:40 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

A 4-stroke .91 is often heavier than a 2-stroke 60, so my plans should if anything take the nose to the heavier side.
I was just checking weights last night. My ST .61 with muffler is heavier than a Saito .90! Now if I only had a little extra coin to play with.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:57 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

seanychen , First thing first, since nobody has actually HAD one of the GP SkyBolt ARFs yet, I think it might be a little precipitous to start in on the gloom-and-doom and add-a-pound-of-lead-to-the-nose warnings, don't you? The model is advertised as a .60 to .90 size, so I have absolutely no reason to think that using a Saito .91 in the nose would be anything less than ample. A 4-stroke .91 is often heavier than a 2-stroke 60, so my plans should if anything take the nose to the heavier side.

balsabandit, I myself have never seen a Sig Skybolt, although I wanted to. Is it something that Sig still offers? If so, I can go and check out their website. Well, I'll give it a check anyway..

Jim
I guess a little precaution and research never hurts. Since he has the motor already, I guess if the Saito 91 doesn't work, he can always get another one.

Pardon my premature off-the-wall comment.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:40 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Yeah, I can believe it. Supertigres tend to be pretty big, that's why I never messed with their 2500's or whatever sizes they are. I can believe that a .60 size would be heavier than a Saito. I know a few others that have some pretty heavy 60's, I think they're using the .90 bodies on them. Anyway, I know the Saito is pretty much apples to apples as far as power when compared to the OS .91, so the size isn't much different. And they recommend the OS .91 (their own brand, of course), so I should be in the right ballpark. Of course, I could always do what I did on my 1/4-scale Sig Spacewalker II and install a nice new Brison 2.4 to "improve" my vertical..... Think that would be enough power? And I thought I had problems getting it to settle in and land BEFORE! For two weeks before I fly it I let the grass grow to help slow it down.... nah, just kidding. I'm just saying that I cannot see putting something like a 1.20 in one of these Skybolts.
Let me compare to what I already know works awesome. The Bolt is 57", just 2 1/2 inches span MORE than my HogBipe, and They are both estimated to weigh in at roughly 8 pounds (I NEVER use the lower weight estimate!) and My HogBipe is just 8 pounds dry, within an ounce or so. My HogBipe uses a Saito .91 and simply tears up the sky and pulls straight through most maneuvers without dragging. Now, the Bolt has the same type of wing as my HogBipe but they say it has 40 fewer square inches, maybe a little thinner chord, but it should have nearly as much lift. It's a lot more aerodynamic than my HogBipe, so drag isn't added, if anything it's reduced. If there are some items here that I'm failing to factor in, please chime in, because on paper, at least to me, they don't seem to be very different at all. With the VERY obvious exception of my Spacewalker II, I've never subscribed to the overpowering of planes, but then I've never felt that a plane should be hovered, either. Oh, it can be done, but why not just go and buy a Heli if you want that? It's never appealed to me, but I'm saying that I can't see why planes should be as overpowered as we sometimes see them these days. It can really take the fun out of what would have been a sweet flyer otherwise.

What do you guys think the GP SkyBolt ARF Bipe should be powered with, according to what you see on its specs? Here, I'll place the link for you:

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1242.html

I'll be watching!

P.S. I was kidding about letting the grass grow, but I really DO have a 2.4 Brison in my Sig Spacewalker II !!

Jim
Old 03-20-2006, 12:31 AM
flynpreacher
My Feedback: (2)

Already ordered mine, and it will have a YS 91 FZ on it. You can never have too much power! Thats what the throttle stick is for!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:22 AM
Kostas1

Ofcourse YS 91FZ discontinued and was replaced by the YS 110FZ.
So,i think you had it sitting arround right?
Also,
with this engine you are squeezing every gr of thrust out,and your plane with this YS will be a -R-O-C-K-E-T-!!
Enjoy.
Kostas
Old 03-20-2006, 05:39 AM
Stickbuilder

I suppose that it could have been a rocket, but that is what the left stick is for. No, not too much cowl left, but you would be surprised what you can do with some feberglass cloth and resin. For years, I have made blisters, extra scoops and assorted odd bulges from fiberglass, and glassed them to cutaway cowls. use Kitchen spoons and other odd stuff for the plug or buck. glass them right over the cut out. looks really well.

Does anyone make a copy of the Sig Liberty sport? Talk about a great Bipe. I 'm looking forward to doing the Waco that I bought on ebay last night. It'll be my third one, and this one won't be for sale. (well maybe)
Old 03-20-2006, 07:33 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I actually traded for a Sig Smith Miniplane last year. Very small, very cool Bipe, and the guy had a flair for design. I've yet to really go through it thoroughly and certify it for flying, especially the kind of flying I do. But overall it appears to be quite sound, and I'm looking forward to flying it. I've kept my eyes open for a Sig Liberty Sport, but so far haven't seen any on the occasions I've searched. I haven't actually seen one anywhere in about ten years now. There appear to be a few Sig Morrisey Bravos showing up in the ads these days, but I've sold all my giants and I'm not getting into anything that big again.
As far as too much power, I think in any recreational sport model plane you can easily have too much power if the engine pulls the model too fast and won't allow it to slow down so that it can touch down and roll out reasonably. But I'm still listening, folks, what do you think the GP Super SkyBolt should be powered with?

balsabandit, I'd like to see some photos of that Waco when you get a chance! Once you get it home, of course....

Jim
Old 03-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Stickbuilder

Jim, It will be in a big box... This is an original Pica 1/5 scale kit repeat kit. It has not been started and I had to pay an arm and 1 1/2 legs for it on ebay. I had made up my mind that I wanted this one, and someone else ran it up on me at the last minute. Thankfully I had my top bid high enough to cover it. Should be here this week, and I will inventory everything and get pics. I wonder if one of the commercial kit cutters would want to maybe cut some of these, since they are still so popular. Maybe I should contact some of them and kinda feel them out on this. I mean it is not unusual for one of these to bring close to 300 bucks on ebay. (I paid 282.07 plus shipping for mine) What do you think about trying to get some of these cut and make them available at a reasonable price? Pica is gone, and I don't think the copyright is still in effect. This model was kitted so long ago, that I think the copyright has run out. Maybe Chuck Gill's son would be interested. I could let him borrow this one until he has the templates cut and the plans and manual copied.

That would be interesting.
Bill
Old 03-20-2006, 01:17 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

The most obvious question is; Had you previously contacted the kit-cutter companies? A lot of these guys keep templates and the amounts of everything on file when they cut out odd models in oneseys for people. This leaves them able to jump right in and get the next request done without too much fuss. I've talked to them before, and I've been amazed at what they had stored away. I had been giving some serious thought to building a B-25 bomber at the time, but shortly after had decided against it and made my move back down towards mostly smaller models. They could have cut me a real beauty Ziroli, not cheap, but the job they do is phenomenal. Anyway, just a thought. If you were a kit cutter, I think it would make sense to keep info like that filed away, like money in the bank.
I say, hey, if you can find one who hasn't got it, you might be able to work out something with him. I've done that with cowls before, I send them my original plasti-cowl, and they build it, make a mold, and send me a f-glass cowl back, all done and ready for primer and paint! And of course, highly unlikely as a crash by me would seem, they still stand ready to replace my cowl at a moment's notice! I'd think the cutters might at least want to borrow your complete plans so they can copy them. They could cut you wing kits or whole Wacos after that, whatever you need. By the way, I really like the 1/5-scale Waco, especially the Pica (does anybody else MAKE a 1/5th scale Waco Bipe?), and they are HARD to find these days. You don't see a lot of them at the fields, either. Pretty plane, got that Golden Age look....

Jim
Old 03-20-2006, 02:30 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[/quote]
As far as too much power, I think in any recreational sport model plane you can easily have too much power if the engine pulls the model too fast and won't allow it to slow down so that it can touch down and roll out reasonably.
That is a propeller issue, not an engine issue. A 4 pitch prop will go about half as fast as an 8 pitch on the same engine and airplane.

Jim
Old 03-20-2006, 03:11 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Here we go. Nope, that's impossible, it's NOT a prop issue. Prop issues are for fine-tuning and getting torque in aerobatic situations or slowing something down or speeding it up a bit, but you can't simply take a plane that previously had a 14-inch prop on it and install a gasser that takes a 22 X 10 and expect it to fit or fly right. First, the prop is too long and will likely hit. If you go to a 3-blade, something's gotta give there, and once you get something pitched up there that fits and works with the engine and doesn't over-rev the engine, you're going too fast at idle. Reduce the pitch and it will over-rev the engine. Throttle it down so it can't open up far enough to over-rev with the lesser pitch and you've completely undermined the reasons for placing a big engine on there in the first place! I've spent at least 20 of the past 27 years watching guys tell me that installing that big engine won't bother anything too much, and then watched them try to figure out....1 by 1.... everything I just listed above and a whole lot more besides, like how the heck to slow it down on a hot-top runway...... Like I keep saying, if model planes were really meant to hover they would have collectives in them like the helis do. See, THEN you'd have me...no arguing with the ability to kill all thrust or even reverse it! Auto-Free rotational landing brakes.......

Jim
Old 03-20-2006, 06:01 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

you can't simply take a plane that previously had a 14-inch prop on it and install a gasser that takes a 22 X 10 and expect it to fit or fly right.
No argument there! But I don't see anyone putting a 22x10 on a Great Planes Skybolt.

Jim
Old 03-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Stickbuilder

I actually traded for a Sig Smith Miniplane last year. Very small, very cool Bipe, and the guy had a flair for design. I've yet to really go through it thoroughly and certify it for flying, especially the kind of flying I do. But overall it appears to be quite sound, and I'm looking forward to flying it. I've kept my eyes open for a Sig Liberty Sport, but so far haven't seen any on the occasions I've searched. I haven't actually seen one anywhere in about ten years now. There appear to be a few Sig Morrisey Bravos showing up in the ads these days, but I've sold all my giants and I'm not getting into anything that big again.
As far as too much power, I think in any recreational sport model plane you can easily have too much power if the engine pulls the model too fast and won't allow it to slow down so that it can touch down and roll out reasonably. But I'm still listening, folks, what do you think the GP Super SkyBolt should be powered with?

balsabandit, I'd like to see some photos of that Waco when you get a chance! Once you get it home, of course....

News on the WACO. It looks like a major kit cutter is interested in reproducing the PICA WACO YMF 3/5 in 1/5 th scale. I know this is not the forum for that, but I may be distributing them before long. I offered my kit to be used for the templates and so on. You said you had not seen a Liberty Sport in a while, here is mine ready for the Koverall, and Dope.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31097.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	429970  
Old 03-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Nerevar

ahh ... Does that mean puttin' a DA 150 on it might be just a dab too much motor??

Here we go. Nope, that's impossible, it's NOT a prop issue. Prop issues are for fine-tuning and getting torque in aerobatic situations or slowing something down or speeding it up a bit, but you can't simply take a plane that previously had a 14-inch prop on it and install a gasser that takes a 22 X 10 and expect it to fit or fly right. First, the prop is too long and will likely hit. If you go to a 3-blade, something's gotta give there, and once you get something pitched up there that fits and works with the engine and doesn't over-rev the engine, you're going too fast at idle. Reduce the pitch and it will over-rev the engine. Throttle it down so it can't open up far enough to over-rev with the lesser pitch and you've completely undermined the reasons for placing a big engine on there in the first place! I've spent at least 20 of the past 27 years watching guys tell me that installing that big engine won't bother anything too much, and then watched them try to figure out....1 by 1.... everything I just listed above and a whole lot more besides, like how the heck to slow it down on a hot-top runway...... Like I keep saying, if model planes were really meant to hover they would have collectives in them like the helis do. See, THEN you'd have me...no arguing with the ability to kill all thrust or even reverse it! Auto-Free rotational landing brakes.......

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.