Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick ULtimate 1.20 Bipe engine????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick ULtimate 1.20 Bipe engine????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 01:21 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Patrick ULtimate 1.20 Bipe engine????

Mordib
u r so right!!!!
that os-160 is zoom zoom zoom out of a t-roll.....
Old 03-04-2003, 10:26 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Originally posted by krayzc
The rcs 1.4 has the power of a 120 and i never would have bought a glow 120 when you can have a OS-160 or satio 180 and pick up all the power with only 1-2 oz more weight. The 1.4 did not have unlimted verticle 300 ft. ceiling at best. She runs like a dream if you dont try the r-rolls. she would still do all the other moves rolling elevator,harrier, flat spins, spins, knife edge and scale flying with the 1.4 i needed more power for the unlines 2 point rolls was all she was good for then she would run out of steam.
... which is why mine will be powered with one of my MVVS 1.60 gassers. The motor weighs ~3 oz more than the RCS and packs more power.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:33 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Default DP Ultimate

Mine weighs 11 lbs dry with a Webra 1.20. Probably not enough for TR but great for everything else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60696_2382.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	28823  
Old 03-06-2003, 03:50 AM
grind2tenths
My Feedback: (17)

Got my Ultimate a couple of weeks ago. Planning on using a YS 120 AC with a 16~8 APC prop. My question is what kind of exhaust set up is everyone using with the YS? Has anyone mounted the engine upside-down instead of on it's side? Give me some feed-back before I start grinding the cowl.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I had mine mounted inverted... beautiful that way with very little cowl cutting at all.... Ran and started great. The only problem is the stock muffler (lost 2 of them) just won't stay on.... The stress on the threaded "header" snaps them off... some guys have had them even eat out the threads in the head... or in the least, vibrate and unscrew the muffler off...

I switched to a header kit from Central hobbies... About $60 + $20 for the muffler (a Magnum 120 mufffler)

I JB Welded the muffler to end pipe and it worked great! I then attached the muffler/pipe to the underside of the Ultimate...

I did however, just switch to an O.S. 160FX... the YS 120 AC had plenty of butt for aerobatic flight, but wasn't quite enough for a hover or TR...

If you are interested in my header/muffler I'd sell it for $50...

(tho motor is for sale too... $225 or $250 with the pipe in excellent condition)

Originally posted by grind2tenths
Got my Ultimate a couple of weeks ago. Planning on using a YS 120 AC with a 16~8 APC prop. My question is what kind of exhaust set up is everyone using with the YS? Has anyone mounted the engine upside-down instead of on it's side? Give me some feed-back before I start grinding the cowl.

Name:	60768_11422.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	28824  
Old 03-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Maudib

Here is another mod is did... the manual has you install the servos off center...

If you use the standard setup... put the ELEVATOR servo in the middle slot... it'll make it closer to getting even throws on the the 2 halves...

Since i was chnaging engines anyway, I decided to mod the oull-pull system....

I went to a dual tiller arm system... One for rudder and one for elevator... They are centered in the fuse and the assembly screws in for easy removal... This way I remove the tension stress of the pull-pulls from the servo shaft and get better throw.

Originally posted by grind2tenths

Name:	60770_11422.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	28825  
Old 03-06-2003, 03:20 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Default Ultimate with Saito 1.50

I am going to pick up one of the blue Ultimates tomorrow. Do you thing the 1.50 with an APC 17X6 will be enough to give the plane unlimited verticle?
Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-07-2003, 04:14 AM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

I doubt it. Depends strongly upon weight. My YS120 would hover at 2/3 to 3/4 throttle. Vertical was good, but not unlimited. If you can assemble it light (light servos where possible) and you get lucky with the weight of the arf you will get good vertical but I don't think unlimited. Vertical unlimited calls for something like a YS140.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:34 AM
locomotive
My Feedback: (7)

My 11 pound Ulty has a Saito 180 and it has enormus power..definately unlimited...I would think a Saito 150 would be plenty.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:23 AM
esport33
My Feedback: (2)

I would think that as well. As for my Moki 135... I'm not getting many opinions on it.... still waiting to get fuel in mine. I've got a saito 180 for it if the moki isn't enough.. does anyone know how much DP will sell a new Ultimate cowl for?
Old 03-07-2003, 01:23 PM
krayzc-RCU

David sells the cowl for 45-46 its about 53-55 shipped.... you will have to stay on them as they sell those things as quick as they come in talk with Sandy there.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:34 AM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Default What about a Magnum 1.80?

Hi,

I have a Saito 1.50 (4-Cycle) & a Magnum 1.80 (2-Cycle) that need homes.

I noticed that the Saito 1.50 already got mixed reviews as to the projected performance in the DP Ultimate. But what do you think about the Magnum 1.80 ? Do you think this engine will give it Unlimited performance? It's NO Moki, but I hear it's got some power once broken in (although I also hear that this takes quite some time...like around 10 gallons worth).

Anyway, I figured I'd try out this 'Ultimate' thread, and see if either of these engines can find a new home...after getting laughed out of the 'DP Extra 330L' thread for mentioning them. (Well, not really laughed out of...but was told the best I could hope for would be MAYBE a Torque Roll, but nothing left to climb out with)

Any thoughts would be appreciated...unless they are for me to buy another engine!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:45 AM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Dave Patrick recommends no larger than 140 2 or 4 cycle. When you look at the plane you see why. He has designed the structure very light. It may sound crazy but the firewall seemed to be light ply to me. I would try to keep vibration to a minimum. Definitely use a soft mount if you can on a larger engine.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:45 AM
locomotive

I have a Saito 180 in mine and it is plenty of power......I think a Saito 150 would work just fine. The magnum 180 is not a good choice in my opinion......put the Saito 150 in it....I don't think you will be sorry. It is a great flying bird....I love mine.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:11 AM
3D Romeo

Default Thanks Jim & Locomotive

Thanks guys...But I'm starting to wonder about getting anything from Dave Patrick right now. I've sent 3 emails over the last week asking for advice on whether either of my 2 engines would be a good match for either the Extra 330L, or the Ultimate, and haven't got a reply on any of them! I'm thinking if they don't want to get back with me about BUYING 1 (or possibly 2) of their planes, how could I ever expect to hear back from them for customer support, or if I have any questions while building it.

I may have to just buckle down and build my Goldberg Sukhoi kit that I originally got the Saito 1.50 for. I know it won't have any trouble pulling that around!

Thanks again for the replies!

Mark
Old 03-14-2003, 02:36 PM
locomotive

Dave Patrick is a great guy and has done a lot for our sport. He is trying his best to offer us some killer products. It is hard to get emails back from him......it is only him and Sandy running the whole show. I know it is frustrating but his planes are worth it.......especially the Ulty. Try calling them......you may get better results.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:42 PM
nyrcpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: What about a Magnum 1.80?

Check the wieght on the magnum 1.80, mine wieghed in @ 60 oz with muffler, my 50cc gasser wieghs less.

I had very bad luck with my Mag 1.80, tried running it on a Sig 300xs 73" wing, before I knew how important wieght was.

The plane was overwieght, under powered and would dead stick constantly.

I had bought it for $125 new, sold it for $50.

worst engine I ever owned.........................just my .02

Originally posted by deryckere
Hi,

I have a Saito 1.50 (4-Cycle) & a Magnum 1.80 (2-Cycle) that need homes.

I noticed that the Saito 1.50 already got mixed reviews as to the projected performance in the DP Ultimate. But what do you think about the Magnum 1.80 ? Do you think this engine will give it Unlimited performance? It's NO Moki, but I hear it's got some power once broken in (although I also hear that this takes quite some time...like around 10 gallons worth).

Anyway, I figured I'd try out this 'Ultimate' thread, and see if either of these engines can find a new home...after getting laughed out of the 'DP Extra 330L' thread for mentioning them. (Well, not really laughed out of...but was told the best I could hope for would be MAYBE a Torque Roll, but nothing left to climb out with)

Any thoughts would be appreciated...unless they are for me to buy another engine!
Old 03-14-2003, 04:19 PM
3D Romeo

Default Thanks for the help lgodin...

Thanks for the information on the Magnum 1.80

I've been getting mixed reviews on that engine. Everyone agrees that it is a pig...but those that love them say the people that aren't having any luck with them, just aren't allowing them to break-in fully. I've been told by several people that you have to run a minimum of 5 gallons thru it before it starts to behave, and someone else has told me that it would hover his 16 pound H9 UltraStick at 1/2 throttle. He even said it would climb out...but very slowly. I figure if it can do that on a 16 pound plane...it would have to do at least that good on a 10 to 12 pound plane.

But anyway...my attention has turned now to a Kangke Cap 232. I never heard about this plane until yesterday...but people are telling me that this is a good plane.

Anyway, I never said the Magnum HAD to find a home. If it doesn't work out in anything...I can always use it to hold down the cores when I'm sheeting my wings!

Thanks for the help!

Mark
Old 03-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Sir Fliesalot

Default D.P. Ultimate

Have you tried calling? I called and talked to Dave Patrick himself. He's their tech guy and was very nice and he didn't say anything negative when I told him I was putting a Saito 1.8 on the Ultimate.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:37 AM
3D Romeo

Default Nope...Haven't tried calling...

Nope...I haven't tried calling. I figure with the amount of questions I have for him, making a long distance phone call would pay for the plane!

Seriously though...I know it's not Dave's fault. I've talked to him at a couple aerobatic seminars before, and he seems to be a really nice guy.

I usually only call long distance as a last resort though. Because I don't have a long distance service provider. First I try Internet & toll free numbers (which they don't have), and if that doesn't work, then I'll call. I'm not desperate enough yet...

Money is tight right now...so I have to try to save where I can.

Thanks for the advice though!

Mark
Old 03-15-2003, 03:49 AM
Sir Fliesalot

I can understand that. I like those 800 numbers. I guess with just him answering it cut's down on his call load .
Old 03-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Maudib

If the engine was significantly lighter than a gas burner, then it would have it's merits...

BUT...

If you fly the plane much (and you WOULD fly the DP Ultimate ALOT... it's so sweet) then you would see Gallons of glow fuel go down like it's going out of style... $15 a gallon can get pretty expensive in a year of flying...

Now... if you were to amortize that cost over 2 years and apply that amount to say, an RCS 140 or 180 at $345... it would be MUCH cheaper to fly... No snot to wipe of the underside and it's a good bit lighter to boot....

I personally went with the OS 1.60fx and will love the power, but glow fuel at those engine sizes makes it less attractive to spin that prop...

RCS 140 engines

Originally posted by deryckere
Thanks for the information on the Magnum 1.80

I've been getting mixed reviews on that engine. Everyone agrees that it is a pig...but those that love them say the people that aren't having any luck with them, just aren't allowing them to break-in fully. I've been told by several people that you have to run a minimum of 5 gallons thru it before it starts to behave, and someone else has told me that it would hover his 16 pound H9 UltraStick at 1/2 throttle. He even said it would climb out...but very slowly. I figure if it can do that on a 16 pound plane...it would have to do at least that good on a 10 to 12 pound plane.

But anyway...my attention has turned now to a Kangke Cap 232. I never heard about this plane until yesterday...but people are telling me that this is a good plane.

Anyway, I never said the Magnum HAD to find a home. If it doesn't work out in anything...I can always use it to hold down the cores when I'm sheeting my wings!

Thanks for the help!

Mark
Old 03-15-2003, 02:48 PM
3D Romeo

Default Thanks For the info...

Thanks for the info Mordib,

I know what you are saying, and I want desperately to get into gas engines some day...it's just hard to talk myself into buying another engine, when I already got the NIB Magnum & Saito sitting on my workbench. I figure I would take the saving's now, and pay down the road as gas bills pile up. Whenever I do take the plunge though, I'll probably go with the H9 33% Sukhoi & ZDZ-80 combo. It's hard for me to justify the price for the smaller gas engines, when the larger ones only cost a little bit more.

Oh well, until I make up my mind on what to do about the Ultimate...I think I'm going to be placing an order for one of those Great Planes U Can Do 3D's, and practice up on that. I hear they are a pretty good flying airplane for the price, and I also got (2) OS FS-90's sitting on my workbench waiting for homes...right next to the Magnum!

Thanks for the advice,

Mark
Old 03-15-2003, 03:25 PM
krayzc-RCU

i have my rcs 1.4 on a funtana now and i swapped out this off the DP bipe. the bipe was 13 lbs and the funtana is 11 1/4 so more power is what i am seeing. i do not have 5 gallons on the motor yet so i may have to wait and see as time goes on. the 1.4 uses so little gas that 5 gallons is going to take a little while. I get the black dots ont he bottom pretty bad so i suppose its still breaking in.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:45 PM
locomotive

I look at it like this......a gallon of 20% heli fuel cost me 15 bucks. I can fly my DP Ulty/Saito 180 6-8 times on a gallon......I rarely burn a whole gallon in one day..... Where else are you going to get that much enjoyment for 15 bucks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.