Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Got my Dave Patrick Edge Today!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Got my Dave Patrick Edge Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 01:34 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Dave Patrick Edge Today!!!

Originally posted by pceagon
P51-B
The cowl and wheel pants are gel-coat white. It is also white around the canopy but will accept paint.
Paul
Thanks for the information. I have been trying to decide between ARC and the white arf, looks like ARC wins!
Old 03-28-2003, 03:18 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

With the tank that close to the CG point (wing tub) could he not balance it with the tank full and be slightly nose heavy when teh fuel runs out?
Old 03-28-2003, 04:46 PM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Well, my Edge is finished and ready for its first flight. I'm just waiting for the instrument panels to arrive from DPM and for some of the glue to dry on the canopy. I stuck some pictures in my gallery of the plane as it sits right now. I ended up putting a Brison 2.4 engine swinging a Pro Zinger 20x8 on it. There's a big 24oz fuel tank in it and I'm using a EMS Jomar Glitch Buster system to allow the receiver to work of its own battery and the servos have their own 6 volt NiCad. I have a Hitec mini on the throttle, and the flight controls are all Futaba 9252 digitals running off a MPI 6 volt regulator. I went with the single wing servo option as well as the single elevator servo w/ all pull-pull connections. This has managed to keep the weight very low, although I haven't put it on a scale yet today. I will as soon as I get a chance to. Hopefully the weather will hold out this weekend and I can get a flight or two in. I'm pretty psyched as this looks like it will be a great flier.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:56 PM
Trips67
My Feedback: (1)

Looks great Rongreg! I hope the weather cooperates this weekend for you. I would love to hear a flight report before I head to Toledo. I am looking to pick up an engine there and am still in debate as to what. I see you got a set of wingbags too. I just got my set also. They look great. I got the tail sections also, but haven't had a chance to see how they fit. Thanks for all the info, and I look forward to hearing flight reports.

Ryan
Old 03-28-2003, 07:02 PM
rongreg13

Yeah, I love the wingbags. I too have the complete set including tail covers. Since I was one of the first to get the Edge, I provided Wingbags.com with the measurements of the plane and they cut me a spectacular deal. I was very impressed with the quality and would recommend their bags to anyone. A great value even at full cost!
Old 03-29-2003, 03:44 AM
BigBirdFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

rongreg13,
I have a Brisson 2.4 and use an 18oz tank. I have never used up all of the fuel . Usually 1/2 to 3/4 of the tank. Saves a little weight. I onlw use a 24oz on my 4.2ci motor.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:47 PM
rongreg13

I was planning on downsizing the tank. I had a left over 24 oz w/ the gas plug and tubing, so I figured I'd test it out on it. How long of a run do you get before the 18 oz is gone? I've only started my engine up and haven't done any long runs on it yet so I have no idea what the fuel consumption will be.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:48 PM
BigBirdFlyer

I usually fly 12 to 14 minutes . AS a test I ran my engine full throttle on a test stand for about 30 minutes on the 18oz tank.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:14 PM
GoldenEagle

Default Edge Balance

Rongreg:

How'd the balance come out with the gasser and, I assume, no servos in the tail?

I've got a BME 50 for a DP Edge that's on its way. Your experience could save me some guesswork on the servo placement and number.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2003, 06:32 PM
earl williams
My Feedback: (27)

Default RON/EDGE WIEGHT?

RON WHAT IS YOUR COMPLETED WIEGHT ON YOUR EDGE?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:56 PM
BigBirdFlyer

My Edge is a 31% Aeroworks with a 4.2 c.i. My 2.4 c.i. is on a 14 1/2 pound H-9 Ultra Stick.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:53 AM
mightychuck

Default any flights yet?

rongreg,

Get a chance to take her up yet? Really anxious to know how it flies. Debating on this one or a Lanier 30% 540.

Anyone else close to being finished?
Old 04-05-2003, 03:31 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If anyone is interested in C/F wing tubes for this baby or for that matter the D/P Extra, I found some. Available at PAC. Can call Maureen at 662-462-5480. Cost $70.80 plus freight. Have one on order and will advise this thread of quality, weight, etc.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:28 PM
aerobat82
Banned

CMON guys lets here some of those flight reports

I just started on mine today......and dying to here about the flight characteristics
Old 04-09-2003, 11:47 PM
mrc100
My Feedback: (4)

Default pushrods

Who's planning on using the 2-56 pushrods that come with the kit? Seem pretty weak for a 100+ oz/in servo and those large ailerons.

I was thinking of using 1/8" carbon fiber/titanium pushrods from Central Hobbies...thoughts?

Mike
Old 04-09-2003, 11:51 PM
ici

I used H9 pro links on mine.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:38 PM
mrc100

He ici,

I haven't seen the pro-links in person. From what I saw on the net it appears they only come in 4-40. So are you planning on using the same horns? I thought from the past my 4-40 clevis' seem to fit sloppy on the horn??

Thoughts??? Or suggestions welcome.

Mike
Old 04-10-2003, 11:41 PM
rongreg13

I'm hoping to fly my Edge this weekend as the weather looks like it might finally cooperate. I'll let everyone know how it goes. On my ailerons I used 4-40 rods with ball links on one end and 4-40 solder clevises on the other with the stock metal horns which work fine with the 4-40 clevises. I ditched the 2-56 stuff that came with the plane. The tail on mine is all pull-pull.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:36 AM
ici

MRC 100...I use ball link on the servo arms and use 4-40 clevises on the control horns.I have the same set up on my DP extra and havent had any problems with this set up and both planes have DA 50's on them.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:56 PM
mrc100

Default Stab Adjustment rod

Folks,

Just found a small problem with my Edge 540T...the stab adjustment rod is too short... Mine measures 3 7/8" rather than the 4 1/4" inches.. After carefully checking for proper fit I discovered the 4-40 socket head screws would not contact the flat spot... Could become a major problem in flight.

I'm currently using the rod out of my Extra 330L.

Let me know how yours measures.

P.s - No jokes please :-)

Mike
Old 04-11-2003, 07:48 PM
rongreg13

I had the same problem with mine. I started a thread on RCU about problems with assembly of the Edge. I had to grind the flat spots out almost to the edge of the rods and this fixed the problem fine. I also had the inner hinge holes on the horizontal stabs drilled into the spar tube. I had to shorten the inner hinges on each stab so they would not protrude into the tube and block the aluminum spar tube from going all of the way into the stabs. Those were my biggest problems with the plane.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:13 PM
mrc100

Ron,

your alert to the hing points protruding into the stab tube saved me a lot of grief and I thank you!

P.S - Nice aircraft thou

MC
Old 04-11-2003, 11:25 PM
rongreg13

One other point on the construction--The instructions tell you to mount the rudder control horns as low as practicable or something like that--Make sure that the horns are mounted on the plywood plates and not at the bottom of the rudder. You can see the plate under the Ultracote if you look real hard. Plus, this aids in aligning the pull-pull linkages. I also had to glue a few of the parts in the canopy cradle as the wood was loose with no glue at all. Not a big problem, but still noteworthy. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some sort of flight report.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:41 PM
rongreg13

Well, my Edge had its first flight today and it was pretty hairy. I balanced mine at the location recommended by Dave Patrick and had to move two of my batteries way back in the tail and add just a bit of weight in the tail to balance out the Brison 2.4 and all of its gear in the front. After I took off, it became immediately apparent that the plane was very TAIL heavy. Go figure. Needless to say, I'm going to be removing my tail weight and possibly shifting my batteries a bit farther forward to move the CG a bit. The plane had PLENTY of power with the Brison 2.4 and required no aileron trim, a couple of clicks of rudder and just a bit of elevator which I will cancel out with the adjustable stabs. One thing of note is the VERY powerful elevators. I have my throws set at about 20% of max for my first flights which just about equates to Dave's recommendations, and it is VERY touchy even with quite a bit of expo dialed in. The rudder and ailerons were great, but the off-trim horizontal stab coupled with the tail heaviness made for some crazy approaches. The plane absolutely floats at an honest to god walking pace, but the plane either wanted to pitch straight down, or straight up. The elevators were VERY sensitive to being off center at low speed. Luckily, after a few approaches, the plane landed just fine, but I am definitely going to make some adjustments and try again tomorrow. The single servo per aileron and single pull-pull elevator servos worked GREAT and I'm glad I went with that setup and I think the Brison 2.4 is a GREAT choice for the airframe. A 3.2 is just not necessary due to the weight which on mine is just a shade over 14.5 lbs. Hopefully I'll have more success to report after making my changes. I'm also curious to hear any others who have had first flight experiences, so keep the posts coming!
Old 04-12-2003, 11:06 PM
mrc100

rongreg13,

Just wondering....were you using expo and how much?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.