Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

I have the WM AT-6 (OS FS-120) and had the pleasure to fly formation with the TF Texas (OS FS-91) today. Both of these planes are fantastic. My plane is like a pylon racer at full power. I had to fly at half power for the TF Texan to keep up. You can't go wrong with either plane.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 PM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Happy New Year! Well, I did not get what I wanted for Christmas so I called Santa - who drives for UPS in the off season, and ordered my Top Flite AT-6. It arrived Tuesday and I must say that it is a very nice ARF - especially for $229 after all my Tower discounts. I am finishing up a Dazzler berfore I can get serious about building the AT-6, but I decided to check it out and the workmanship looks very good. The only exception to that is the covering on the control surfaces. The wrinkles were so bad I had to strip and recover one of the outboard flaps and now I need to buy a whole roll of Missile Red Monokote for a 6" x 6" trim piece! I decided to get the covering all ironed out while I have a couple of days off from work so that I can jump right into building when I get to it. That being said, I am very pleased with this plane and I can't wait to get started. I hope to have it ready for Spring.

Steve
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve;

Happy New Year to you!!! You will have fun with the build of this ARF!! My baby is ready to fly but, now it look like Spring before I can test fly her!!! The weatherman is calling for snow here in the Great Northwest!![] The club field still have snow on it from the last weather system. There has been alot of talk about the CG on this bird. My CG is 4.055" or 103mm back from the leading edge of the wing. As soon as the weather is good, I will fly my baby and let everyone know how it fly at this CG. More good news!!! If you have Real Flight 3.0 Flight Sim, They have the A6-Texan in the same color as the ARF and it will give you a very good headups on how this baby fly. I spend about 1 hour a day on the sim and change the wind dir/speed to see how it feel. The flaps will slow you down. Over all the A6-Texan is a sweet plane and at that price from Tower, like yourself, I could not past it up.

Have fun!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 AM
cstevenpeterson

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the info. I have been following the two threads on this and I will make sure I use the proper CG location. Here in NJ the weather is not that good either so I will just take my time and finish her up for Spring. I plan on installing a 91 four stroke in mine.

Steve
Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
maddieone
My Feedback: (2)

Steve

After my initial disappointments with this bird I have found that the construction turned out to be excellent. They just blew the covering job. If you get an OS 91 four stroke you will find that the spinner and adapter fits perfectly (must have been in the grand plan) and you do not need to do any mods to it.

Curt
aka
maddieone
Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
jet22b

I have the OS 91 four stroke in mines. Just follow the manual and you will be fine!!

Sonny
Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
jet22b

One question??? With that big spinner, none of my starter cups will fit it!!! I know people will say flip start it, but after using a starter for the last 5 years, I am lazy!!!
Thanks guys for any answers!!!

Sonny
Old 01-02-2009, 03:46 PM
jet22b

Steve & Curt;

Here is a bit of info the both of you may want to look at. On my AT-6 Texan, I went with the Sullivan Onboard Glow Driver System and the Du-Bro Kwil-Fill Fueling Valva. Very sweet setup. The sun came out today but the club field is still under a foot of snow, so I went into my backyard and play with this setup. The OS 91 four stroke came to life after 24 flips of the prop. I setup the automatic operation for the glow driver to come on at low throttle. I was shock on how smooth the OS 91 Four Stroke ran with the glow plug on!! Just before half throttle, the glow plug go out and the OS 91 4-Stroke bring on the power. Bring the power back down to low idle, the plug come back on and the engine just tick. Hit the off switch on the system and the engine quit.
Please let me know if you would like to see pictures of my setup and I will post!!

Sonny
Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
cstevenpeterson

Thanks for all of the info guys. Pictures are always nice. After spending the last couple of days "dewrinkling" mine and recovering one of the flaps, I just need to give the fuse a once over with the iron and she should be ready for assembly. Aside from the control surfaces, the covering on mine was pretty good. The construction is excellent. I still need to get my GP Dazzler done before getting into this one too deeply. That's hard to do after reading your progress posts and looking at mine sitting in the box - I am really anxious to get going on it. Has anyone thought about smoke? It would look really cool with a smoke system, but I'll probally go with the 91 four stroke and skip the smoke for now.

Steve
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 PM
jet22b

Okay guys, here is some pictures of my on-board glow system and fuel system.
Enjoy!!!

Sonny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94219.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1102025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75987.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1102026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40579.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1102027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89399.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1102028  
Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 AM
cstevenpeterson

Thanks for the pictures Sonny. I may use the same setup you have when I get to that point.

Steve
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 AM
maddieone

Hey Sonny, nice job.

I went Googling, looked at a lot of AT6 pictures and to get around the problem of the huge spinner I just might get me one of those nice looking Tru Turn cone style spinners. Maybe not as pretty but not all AT6's had the huge bulbous spinner.

Curt
Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Hi folks. Just picked up a set of plans for the former TF Gold Edition AT-6 kit (no longer made) and when I went to the TF website I was surprised to find they don't offer the canopy, cowl, etc. for the former kit. Can anyone here tell me if the ARF items are the same size as the former kit? I notice the ARF items available and they would certainly make the build a bit easier. Thanks.

Joe
Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 PM
cstevenpeterson

Hi Joe,

If you contact Customer Service at GP and talk to Mary Ann, you will be able to find out if they have any in stock. I bet they may have something left. I do not have the phone number handy at the moment, but I'll look for it. In the mean time, you can look foir their phone number on line. BTW, I called GP for all my spare TF parts - seems to be the same number.

Steve
Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks Steve, that's a great lead. I have a possible on a partially started TF GE AT-6 kit with most all the items still intact and will be looking to see what we can do with that lead also. One way or another, with the help I've received, we'll get the job done.

Joe

EDIT: 1/4/2008 Thanks to all that have helped locate parts for my AT-6 kit build! I have located and will purchase a partially built original kit with all the required parts for a scratch build still intact and in great shape.

Joe
Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM
jet22b

Curt & Steve;

I think I found a way to start the OS motor with the big spinner. I have a Hangar 9 12V PowerPro starter with the soft rubber cup. I was in my shop last night turning the motor with this setup and the motor was turning over. So today I went out in my back yard to see if this setup would start the motor. I would say after 5 sec on the starter, the motor came to life!!! You will have to push hard on the starter to keep a tight seal on the spinner. That big spinner looks so good on the AT-6!!! Now this setup may or maynot work for you, but it can be done!!! Now to get some good weather so I can fly her!!!

Sonny
Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Augie11

Tower sells a large aluminum cone for the Hobbico '180' starter with a large rubber insert. I think it's about $20. I don't like the starter....no real guts..... but with that cone it easily starts up to a 1.2 four stroke with that AT-6 spinner. I have them on 3 planes.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
jet22b

Augie11;

Thanks for the info. I just place my order from Tower for the large cone and rubber. Now I can setup one of my starter just for the AT-6 Spinner.
Thank you again for the info!!!

Sonny
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
swixtt

anyone thinking of a Saito 125 in this? i know my kit calls for an OS120 4 stroker and wondered if any were considering that size in this ARF. i'm building the older kit they had years ago.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
cstevenpeterson

This is just my opinion based on what I have seen and heard since I have not assembled and flown mine yet. I think a 125 might be too much for this ARF. I believe the kit version came out a bit heavier - depending on building/finishing techniques. I plan on using a 91 four stroke and the reviews I've read seem to indicate this is a good match. If you really want more, maybe a 110 would be the ticket.

Steve
Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
maddieone

I agree with Steve, any engine that is bigger than an OS 91 is too much for this ARF and unless you plan on 3D'ing (perish the thought) you don't need a bigger engine. A lot of guys have already flown this bird with the 91 and they are both pleased and comfortable with that combo. The kit version as with most of Top Flite kits come out way heavier than this ARF. I have a Hanger 9 P51 with similar weight and dimensions and usually fly it at half throttle.

Curt
Old 01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
superspec

What type of glue would you use for the cockpit floor?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
swixtt

ORIGINAL: maddieone

I agree with Steve, any engine that is bigger than an OS 91 is too much for this ARF and unless you plan on 3D'ing (perish the thought) you don't need a bigger engine. A lot of guys have already flown this bird with the 91 and they are both pleased and comfortable with that combo. The kit version as with most of Top Flite kits come out way heavier than this ARF. I have a Hanger 9 P51 with similar weight and dimensions and usually fly it at half throttle.

Curt
OK... thanks. i'm assuming you are referring to a 4stroke.
my plans call for an OS 120 4stroke and looking at the weight, they are quite a bit heavier than a saito 125. i had a line on a 125 so that's why i was thinking that one.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: superspec

I went with Gorilla Wood Glue on my cockpit floor. It did a good job, but if you want you can also thick CA.
I say go with the Gorilla Wood Glue. You will love it!!

Sonny
Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
swixtt

ORIGINAL: jet22b

ORIGINAL: superspec

I went with Gorilla Wood Glue on my cockpit floor. It did a good job, but if you want you can also thick CA.
I say go with the Gorilla Wood Glue. You will love it!!

Sonny
how heavy is this floor? just tape it down so it's doesn't lift while the glue cures. gorilla expands a lot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.