Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 twin otter!!!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 twin otter!!!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 twin otter!!!!!

I was very happy with my first three flights today. The plane performed great right out of the box. The only small problem I had was the 4-40 screws that hold the nose wheel came loose. I put some locktite on and all was good. The plane is very fast. Flew less than half throttle for scale flight. Using the evolution 36 glow engines. Balanced with the batter pack up front just aft of the nose cone. Hangar 9 has put out another winner. On the second flight I had two other pilots fly and we lost track of time and ran one engine out of gas.Great trainer for some one who wants to learn to fly a twin.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 PM
chunkyplunker

Man, quit saying so many good things about this plane, find something wrong please. It's all I can do not to get one, and you guys are making it almost impossible.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:43 AM
p-80
My Feedback: (1)

must say this plane is extremely hard to resist good job hanger 9! i hope they continue to put out twins like this, its a breath of fresh air .i want to put saito 56s in it or maby 72s lol but ive not seen anyone talk of four strokes yet i prefur them to two strokes or electrics
Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 AM
chunkyplunker

I've read other people talk about putting four strokes on these. General consensus was it may not be possible due to the nacelles being too narrow. The only possibility I've heard about was small four strokes no larger than 52's. This is just what I've heard, not by any experience, I having a hard time not getting one myself, almost irresistible.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:31 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice review on this plane in the latest issue of Fly R/C
Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 PM
fwhite

I am interested in the Hanger 9 Otter but only if I can use a pair of Saito 56's that I recently acquired...the distance from the firewall to the propeller backplate should be at least 4 5/8 inches...would someone who currently has the plane please tell me if there's sufficient space to install these engines within the engine cowls? I understand that the cowls may be too narrow to hide much of the engines...

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 PM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

NOT enough space..it measures 3.5 inches.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:11 AM
p-80

thats unfortunate maby they could modefy them in the future not being able to use the 4 strokes is a huge bummer im willing to bet that 40,s would be ideal but underpowerd in my opinion
Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 AM
chunkyplunker

ORIGINAL: p-80

thats unfortunate maby they could modefy them in the future not being able to use the 4 strokes is a huge bummer im willing to bet that 40,s would be ideal but underpowerd in my opinion

Here is a video of the Twin Otter with two .36 Evolutions. Seems to do real well with this setup.

http://vimeo.com/10170101
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM
mobyal

I had a long conversation at Toledo w/ Bill Brundle of Horizon re the Twin Otter. They had one down at "people" level mounted so you could really see and inspect it. It is, hands down, a great job. Everything about it looks good.
I have a pair of NIB EVO 46s, and asked Bill about using them. He said, and showed me on the airplane, how they would be too large to fit well and retain looks. It's both a length and width problem. You can get them on there but it'll be a lot of work and they won't look very good. As the video shows, the 36s are plenty o power.
Two of us at our club have them on backorder....
Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 AM
fwhite

Gary...thank you for your quick response to my question about the length of the cowls...I like the looks of the plane so much that I am even thinking about modifying the length of the cowls to accept the length of the Saito 56's (It's not so much about the power...I simply have 2 Saito engines that I want to put to good use)...if the cowls are constructed of fiberglass and epoxy resin, extension of the cowls by adding, say, 1 1/8 inches to the aft side might do the trick...just saying...
Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 PM
gary41

UR welcome....Cowls are FG, but your scale outline will suffer a bit, of course. Maybe not a big deal. Good luck with the project if you decide to forge ahead!

Going to maiden mine today....powered by E-Flight 32's and TURNIGY 4S 3000's/40C's (got 4000's on order)
Old 05-22-2010, 01:51 PM
p-80

i have an idea but it may sound a bit iffy
what if we cut out most of the old fire wall but left a lip of it going around the nacel then followed that ouline back an inch or so with plywood then then twhen the prefured distance is attained use a i final peice of plywood to close off the hole then use some resin and glass cloth thostrengnthen it up.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM
p-80

that would reces the motor enough by allowing your motor mount not to take up space needed for the motor length to fit
Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM
mobyal

Then I think you'd have issues w/ fuel tank fit. There's not a lot of room back there to start with and generally speaking larger engine = largewr fuel tanks.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 PM
fwhite

Another thought...Fiberglass Specialties manufactures quality glass/epoxy replacement cowls...I'm anticipating that quite a few Otters will be sold resulting in a potential market for replacement cowls...if I were to purchase the replacement cowls from Horizon and supply them to Fiberglass Specialties, I wonder if they would make molds for the standard cowl and an extended-length version...I might just ask them...it's a bit early in the life of a new aircraft, but maybe they'll want to get ahead of the demand...I seem to be bent on owning an Otter with Saito 56's for power (despite the odd appearances of the engine cowls).
Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 PM
gary41

Sounds like it is worth a try! If you further consider the engine mount recess method..... The dimensions of the nacelle fuel/battery/throttle area are 5'' from back of firewall to the location of the throttle servo area, 2.2 inches deep and 2.25 inches wide.

BTW, the maiden was great! THe E-Flite 32's have plenty of power. Used half to two thirds throttle.

Used stock settings on all moveable surfaces. No expo or dual rates. Set the "Land" function on the xmitter with the lesser of the two settings for the flaps and elevator in the manual=a perfect touchdown. Light breeze, maybe 5 MPH, cut throttle when about 12 - 18 inches above runway. Mains first then nose gently kissed terra-firma [8D]
Old 05-23-2010, 01:21 PM
p-80

i think this plane is worth the try i think others would agree
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM
p-80

thanks for the dimentions btw! the real chalenge for me would be to keep the thrust angle
actually i dont think the 4 strokes get to thirsty untill the 91 to 100,s my saito 100 drinks gobs of fuel compared to the 56 lol it feals like more than twice as much
Old 05-23-2010, 02:01 PM
p-80

idk if this is true but the guy at my airfeild claims to get 15 minuts on an 8 oz tank on his 72s seems plenty to me especialy on a smaller motor
Old 05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
gary41

I agree, 8 oz for your 52 4 strokes should be fine. Two strokers, NO, but 4 strokers on 8 will work. I had OS .48 Surpass, and it seemed to run forever on 8 oz tank.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 PM
fledermaus

I'm just assembling my Twotter now, using the Evo 36 glow engines. I agree with everything people have said about the quality of the ARF, and I didn't think it was over-priced in the least.

Mine also had a minor glitch in the plastic lower surface of one elevator, but it was most likely my fault because I took it all out of the box at the LHS and inspected it, then put it back in the box. The glitch wasn't there until I got it home. My bad. Easy to fix though.

I have only one complaint: What is this with the USAF UV-18 markings? The Twotter is a Canadian-made plane and it is a civilian plane. Why does everything have to be US-focused? There are tons of cool civilian colour schemes for Twotters, from the plain yellow of the Northwestern Ontario fire services to some wild tropical schemes used by airlines in the Caribbean or southern Asia regions.

Looking forward to getting this up in the air, and it will be really cool on floats too!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine up in RCMP with C-FMPB which was based in Regina Sask. Have extra stickers for sale if interested. I went electric as it sounds more like the original turbines . Whoever heard of a piston engine in a scale twin otter in the first place ; so non-scale. not hard to pull all the decals off and do your own thing. It's nice to see someone that is more orignal. Just in the final stages of installing floats on my second one. The first will stay on wheels. I just transfer the wings to the float one and away I go. All the setup is identical. About 90% done but will be ready to test maybe this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39838.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1617177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17351.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1617178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54767.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1617179  
Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Totally agree with the electric motors sounding much better than having any glow motors powering it.... then there's also little chance of having an engine flame out too... I'll get one! Shame about the colour ( sorry... COLOR ) scheme tho, would have preferred a civvy or base white finish.

Your floats look very interesting... can you please tell me/us more about your setup there?? What floats, length, height of fuz etc would be great. Like your idea of having a spare set of wings.

Cheers, Paul
Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

Check out the twins forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.