RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 Tango Arf (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6527527-hangar-9-tango-arf.html)

remcl1 11-03-2007 01:17 PM

RE: Hangar 9 Tango Arf

More specific a traditional funfly maneuvers are the ones we would fly at fun fly events. Such as balloon bust, areial golf, most takeoff and landings in 90 seconds, climb and glide, limbo, shortest take-off, etc. There are many.

It is easier to understand the definition of 3D if you understand 2D first. 2D flying is flying an airplane so the line of flight is straight and in line with its thrust line. There is a line that goes through the fuselage right straight to the prop. This is called the thrust line. Any time you fly the plane at any angle so the plane goes in a different direction than where the thrust line is pointing: that is 3D flying. When the nose of the plane point in a 60 degree angle from level, but the plane is flying parallel to the ground, that is flying in the 3rd dimension.

nitrofevr 11-03-2007 07:51 PM

I am going to put a fox eagle 75 in my tango. At Over 6000 feet i need a little altitude compensation, plus this is going to be my primary float plane

GORCFLYR 11-03-2007 08:24 PM

Flew today - Tango, Spektrum 6 Channel, OS .55AX, 12.25x3.75 APC , 5lbs 6oz - true to the description on Rudder because too much and the results are unexspected roll and pitch. I need to try it some more to describe it better - Knife edge is hard because you have to creep up on the rudder throw and add plenty of opposite aileron to hold it. The OS .55AX NEW with only six tanks run through it was way more than this plane needs. Now I fly my UCanDo 40 size with a Saito .91 so I'm use to overpowering a plane.

Two issues I had was a warped left aileron and the two wing dowels fit loose so the wing vibrates. I may have to sleeve the dowels with copper tubbing. So far I like it - fly differernt than anything elese and very easy to see in the air. KEEPER!!

cloud-9 11-03-2007 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: remcl1

Fat wings are an off shoot of the fun fly designs. They are not for 3D. The trend right now is thin. All the new 3D designs are going to thin wings. What the fat wings add is drag not lift. The overall design of the tango most likely will make it float fairly well dead stick, but most fat wing funflies dont glide all that well under dead stick conditions. If you dead sticked many of the early designed fat wing profiles, you better land it right where it was: because you were not going to get it back to the flight line. The added drag makes the plane not scoot across the sky. Funfly type planes are not fast. They are designed for funfly type maneuvers.

What does the fat wing do? It forces the plane to slow down due to the added drag. The 700 square inches of wing adds lift and makes it float. Remember it is all about wing loading.

Thanks. Well, I'm brand new. I'm not even sure what 3D is, but I have never heard of "fun fly." What is a "fun fly" plane and what is "fun fly"?

Thanks.
Jim

happypappy 11-03-2007 09:02 PM

You'll probably get a million different descriptions of "fun fly" but to me it is an airplane that is not purpose-built for one kind of flight and therefore does everything pretty well. It's the kind of plane that you can relax and fly yet is exciting enough to keep your interest. One of those planes that you always end up taking to the field!

nitrofevr 11-03-2007 09:55 PM

gorcflyr, i have seen several times where a loose wing dowel came back berned from vib. and also seen one wing come off due to this, but i do live in the desert so it is really dry here but i would not take any chances anyways

remcl1 11-03-2007 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: cloud-9

ORIGINAL: remcl1

Fat wings are an off shoot of the fun fly designs. They are not for 3D. The trend right now is thin. All the new 3D designs are going to thin wings. What the fat wings add is drag not lift. The overall design of the tango most likely will make it float fairly well dead stick, but most fat wing funflies dont glide all that well under dead stick conditions. If you dead sticked many of the early designed fat wing profiles, you better land it right where it was: because you were not going to get it back to the flight line. The added drag makes the plane not scoot across the sky. Funfly type planes are not fast. They are designed for funfly type maneuvers.

What does the fat wing do? It forces the plane to slow down due to the added drag. The 700 square inches of wing adds lift and makes it float. Remember it is all about wing loading.

Thanks. Well, I'm brand new. I'm not even sure what 3D is, but I have never heard of "fun fly." What is a "fun fly" plane and what is "fun fly"?

Thanks.
Jim

The sig something extra is a good example of a fun fly plane. The tower uproar is a popular fun fly plane. I used a Thunder tiger extra profile in a few fun fly events.

Fun fly is an event that is an alternative to pattern or big bird fly-ins. I found this on the net that explains the events this particular fun-fly fly-in is going to have. http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/funfly.html

GORCFLYR 11-04-2007 09:53 AM

You are very correct - I plan to put a ply doubler in and may sleeve over the dowel with 1/4 OD brass tubing. I'm only doing slow race track pattern flights to put time on the new engine before I try to pull the wings off flying it hard.

nitrofevr 11-05-2007 08:46 PM

sounds good gorcflyr, i might do something like that before mine sees the sky, i really dont know what taking it easy is. Has anyone tryed floats on theirs? or thinking about it?

The Toolman 11-05-2007 09:19 PM

Hangar 9 must not be to worried about the wing dowels--

"Using a Saito™ .72, the Tango can run tight ten-foot loops and—unlike some fun-fly planes—full-throttle high-speed runs."

I'd say you guys are probably smarter than the people that built an designed them. I'm gonna order one also, and I'm glad you brought this wing dowel subject up before I destroyed mine flying wide open with a big engine.

Ronnie

GORCFLYR 11-05-2007 10:16 PM

Each to their own - dowels are loose enough that the wing vibrates and makes one heck of a racket. Fly it a couple of days and if it buzzes - put your hand on top of the wing and see if it goes away. Just a precaution to tighten them up by some method, otherwize please give us a report on how you find the plane to be and fly. I like it and plan to keep it for a while. One more note - even though I did not design or build it - throw the wing bolts away that come with it. The wing bolts are the usual H9 that are not a true 1/4 - 20 (look at UStick and other posting about wing bolts). How do I know - one stripped out the second day I was getting ready to fly. Put in some new ones GP or Dubro and they are much tighter going in.

The Toolman 11-05-2007 10:29 PM

Don't take my post the wrong way. I'm actually making fun of the people at Hangar 9 for letting this stuff slip by. I usually find that the end user of a product is smarter than the original designer/builder.

Ronnie

GORCFLYR 11-05-2007 10:52 PM

No problem - this is the easiest out of the box ARF to get ready. Flys different for sure - snaps with too much rudder but that is the fun part this plane is for - just need to try it high first. Now H9 stuff is my favorite but you and many others probably know they have several bad items in nearly every plane. Tanks - split (every 11oz I have ever had split), Wing bolt anchor nuts and bolts are something to look close at - oversized anchor nuts and undersized bolts, and some other hardware that is better put in the trash than taking a risk on like shallow threads on rods. The good side- H9 Planes are for the most part well built and fly good - my favorite for most of my ARFs (I have or have had six H9 ARFs so far).

Tango - well this is certainly the strangest plane I have flown so far - I call it the platapuss of planes. Don't know if it is a duck/beaver, or citrabra/pulse/twist/???. Get one and enjoy - lands easy but twitchy quick response on ailerons - easy to see due to colors and markings - now someone with a .72 or .82 needs to give us a flight report and some built tips. Mine with .55AX and Spektrum is a hoot to fly. ;)

happypappy 11-05-2007 11:40 PM

Have flown both the .55AX and the Saito .72 powered Tango at the field. The .55 definitely has more raw power in the form of acceleration than the .72 in a straight line but the .72 will climb right with it and stay with it top end due to pulling more pitch than the .55. We have put them side by side several times now. Those two engines are probably the best choices for this plane. The .55 is pulling the 12.75x3.75APC and the .72 is running a MAS 13x6 on it. I believe this plane will be able to be landed in a flat spin - lets see whos the first to do it and video it! With these two engines you can bring the rate of decent to a crawl in a flat spin.

Tcat1000 11-06-2007 07:50 AM

Hey you Tango guys..............I have a question concerning the fuel tank assy. I took my Tango out of the box last night & was looking things over. I took the fuel tank & pushed it into the proper place & found that the black end of the tank where the tubes come through the front of the tank, does not come through or even come close to coming through the hole in the firewall. The way too large hole (1 5/16 ths hole) is also too low for the front of the tank. The protusion on the tank hits the top edge of the firewall hole leaving a gap & hole the size of the Grand Canyon!

What are you guys that have finished one doing with this? Or am I the only one that got one like this? Or am I missing something here..............The extra large hole lines up with the electric mounting placement, but there is still no reason to have this huge hole in the firewall even with the electric version.

Thanks in advance

Tcat

GORCFLYR 11-06-2007 08:34 AM

If you tilt the tank and push it in the black end cap will clear but be wedged in place. I went with a 12oz Hayes Tank I had because I have had bad luck with H9 tanks splitting. The hayes tank is longer but the same square shape size. The hayes tank also has the extened front curved end that will sit in the large hole and keep it away from the firewall anchor nuts. I found that the Hayes tank will have no problems with rubbing the motor mount scews and I used some balsa blocks with foam between the tray aft of the tank to secure it in place.

Seems like others are using the stock tanks - so tilt and push to get in place- then go have fun.

Tcat1000 11-06-2007 09:23 AM

Hey Guy......Thanks for the comeback. BUT...........I tilted the tank down in the front & guess what............It puts one he** of a bind & pressure on the front end of the tank! & Guys wonder why these tanks split! Doing that is just looking for a pocket of glow fuel sitting behind the firewall & not an option for me. It also still leaves a large gap to have to fill in whats left of the hole. I don't want any gaps left in the firewall for fuel & crap to get into! It is a very poor design & there is absolutely no excuse for Hangar 9 to have something built like this.

I will fix this problem by cutting a correct size plug for the stupid 1 5/16ths hole with 1/4 inch ply in the firewall & put the correct size hole & proper placement above it after gluing in the plug. Or plug the hole & try a different tank as suggested above.

Sorry to be rambling on, but I don't think that I will be the only one crabbing about this issue!

If you want to flame me, here is my private email [email protected]

Now, just where did I put Horizon's support phone number.................

Tcat

The Toolman 11-06-2007 09:34 AM

Must be the same people that made my wife's Sig LT-40 arf... The hole in the firewall is about 3/8-1/2 inch to low for the spout on the stock tank to fit thru.

Ronnie

nitrofevr 11-06-2007 10:43 AM

I am thinking about recovering my tango when it gets here.....you guys that have already seen one, how well do you think that would work...probably still leaving the white on and changing the rest. let me know if you would plz

RaceCraftRC 11-06-2007 06:49 PM

LOL if you got one of the first runs of the tango arfs you have to cut the bolts that hold the engine mount

JohnB102 11-16-2007 04:11 PM

Hi there, I have a quick question for the more experienced guys on this forum. I am relatively new to R/C and trained on a Sig Lt. 40 with a OS 46ax and am ready to move up to a more capable ship. I am looking at the Tango and also a Big Stik as I have always liked the looks of them. If I do go with a Giant Stik I probably will power it with a Zenoah 38cc gas engine or some other similar. Any feedback on which would make a good second ship or are they similar in flying qualities, also if any of you have experience with gas are all the different makes similar in quality or is there one that stands out? Thanks in advance for any help and keep on keeping on. John B.

GORCFLYR 11-16-2007 04:35 PM

Can't speak on the gasser but I would not recommend going from the LT-40 to a Tango. I would recommend either a Big Stick 40 or Ultra Stick 40 as two good choices that would allow you to use the engine and gear from the LT-40. Many other good choices out there - others can offer their favorite.

I went from the LT-40 (learning to fly, solo, then a month of flying on my own) to the Ultra Stick and my first flight was "Who would want to fly a Trainer, this is much better". Many other choices but the Tango flies rather strange and does things with the rudder that you won't expect. I have a Tango with an .55ax and it is Fun to fly but from trainer to Tango may not be a good idea.

JohnB102 11-16-2007 04:48 PM

Thanks for the quick response GORCFLYR, much appreciated. Yes I have looked at the Hangar Stik as well, I believe it's lighter than the other Stiks which makes the wing loading more favorable, do you have any experience with all the various Stiks made or is there a reason why you picked the Ultra from Hangar? Thanks dude, John B102

The Toolman 11-16-2007 05:06 PM

Buy you a world models skyraider mach II for $79 an learn to fly a low wing with it. You can do a lot neater stuff with a low wing plane than a high winger.

All your stuff from the lt-40 will go right into the mach II also

Ronnie

craigteffe 11-16-2007 05:48 PM

JohnB102 Date 11/16/2007 9:11:55 PM
Hi there, I have a quick question for the more experienced guys on this forum. I am relatively new to R/C and trained on a Sig Lt. 40 with a OS 46ax and am ready to move up to a more capable ship. I am looking at the Tango and also a Big Stik as I have always liked the looks of them. If I do go with a Giant Stik I probably will power it with a Zenoah 38cc gas engine or some other similar. Any feedback on which would make a good second ship or are they similar in flying qualities, also if any of you have experience with gas are all the different makes similar in quality or is there one that stands out? Thanks in advance for any help and keep on keeping on. John B.