RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 Tango Arf (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6527527-hangar-9-tango-arf.html)

bubbagates 10-23-2007 09:17 AM

Hangar 9 Tango Arf

This thread is meant to be a replacement to the original removed thread. Please keep it on topic.

goplaneman 10-23-2007 09:55 AM

RE: Hangar 9 Tango Arf

Thanks,

The Tango is a great plane, Easy to put together, and will go where you point it. It will roll faster than any plane I have ever flowen. More 3D than a sport plane in my openion.

foresterxt 10-23-2007 10:22 AM

So someone had posted about putting an LA65 in here. I'm in the same boat, I've got a TT GP61 I was thinking about putting in her. If it's as tail heavy as a Twist, it shouldn't be a problem.

goplaneman 10-23-2007 10:36 AM

Weight wise, not much differance. Hanger 9 wants you to put in the NX .52. It is larger, but should fit just fine. I run a OS .46, and have to put the battery pack all the way in the front to have the CG in the mid range. I think it will be fine.
This was my post in the outher form.

The Toolman 10-23-2007 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: foresterxt

So someone had posted about putting an LA65 in here. I'm in the same boat, I've got a TT GP61 I was thinking about putting in her. If it's as tail heavy as a Twist, it shouldn't be a problem.

That be me....[8D]

I wasn't as much worried about the weight as I was the mounting space. The 65LA is prety wide setting beside a 46 size engine.
Maybe somebody can chime in with the inside and outside dimensions of the engine mounts to see if mine will fit.

Ronnie

goplaneman 10-23-2007 01:05 PM

With between the checks 2.5" and 3.25" long.

The Toolman 10-23-2007 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: goplaneman

With between the checks 2.5" and 3.25" long.

Length won't be any problem. The 65LA width is 2.437
Heck, that'll give me .063 to play with between cheeks. Thats about 1/32nd inch on each side. LOL

Ronnie

NorfolkSouthern 10-23-2007 10:00 PM

Is there a possibility it will affect the center of gravity? I have a 55 AX, which is just slightly over the maximum engine size called for. Since I already have it, I may as well put it to use. How about prop clearance? Can a 13" prop work without having to alter the landing gear?

NorfolkSouthern

goplaneman 10-23-2007 10:28 PM

The prop clearence should not be a issue.

tg540edge 10-24-2007 02:51 PM

my tango is on the way. i am wondering, has any one flown a tango with a saito 82 on it? i am wondering if that is ample engine to hover this plane at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle? also what do you think about a saito 100 on the tango( with alittle self control of course)?

remcl1 10-25-2007 06:11 PM

CG is not the determination of what engine can be used. You can always add weight or better yet shift weight. You can put a v8 in the nose and with enough weight in the tail make the cg right. As you can imagine, the needed weight to offset a v8 will make the plane too heavy to take off. The consideration then is wing loading. Wing loading is the total flying weight of the plane divided by the square foot area of the wing. As wing loading goes up the plane's stall speed goes up and its ability to "float" decreases.

The Tango has a published weight of 5.5 to 6 pounds. It also has a published 747 square inch of wing. Using the lower end of the weight this makes the wing loading about 17 oz per square foot. A good target weight per square foot for a sport plane is 20 oz per square foot. If the plane comes in as published it has a nice wing loading.

I would think that this size wing could support the above engine weights. What would help is if someone could give the weight of his plane without the engine. We then can add in the weight of the desired engine and do the math and see what the wing loading would be. A simple rule of thumb is 1 pound of plane for 100 square inches of wing, so you can see that the tango can support more weight and stay under 20oz per square foot.

baronpilot 10-30-2007 07:10 PM

I always wanted to get a post deleted:

quote:

ORIGINAL: baronpilot

quote:

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

All right folks, I've had several complaints about this thread and I must say there are specific area of a lot of posts that are borderline insulting and degrading to quite a few people. I am politely asking that the name calling and such back off as well as the certain terms to peoples life style (ie where they live).

If this cannot stop and right now I will lock this thread as it would take way too much to clean it up. This will be the only warning and any threads that may be started if this thread does get locked will meet with the same fate once it goes off the deep end

Ok so lets get this back on the subject of the plane and keep it civil and well within the rules, thanks

This is the epitome of why this forum really doesn't allow freedom of speech. Let us bash our brothers opinions...we can buy them beer later. Who the heck is complaining about this thread? "Whah! My feelings got hurt. My Kadet felt like it was violated! Don't make the sponsors mad! Waaah! Waaah! Waaaaaaaaahh!"

Hesuse Christay. Rules.

This plane is a hunk of junk, and H9 is taking advantage of the innocent people that buy it!! Twist included!! We must stand up as an RC community and bash the non flying RC'ers that make up the marketing department, reaping profit sharing checks off of our subsequent decisions to buy their crap!

Stop the censorship threats just to placate your sponsors. They can post on here just as easy as I can (maybe, for not as long) to defend their sweatshops.

Just give me a real 3D plane...you can find them at the ****************** dot com. Come to the dark side. I dare you.

Ok. Everyone just buy a Mojo cause baronpilot says so.

GORCFLYR 11-01-2007 02:29 PM

I haven't seen any follow-up psotings on the Tango with Saito .82. First off, I got the ARF and you dang near shake it out of the box 95% built. I tried to install a Saito 82 but the mount that comes with it and the achor nuts are not wide spaced enough so it ends up over 5 inches firewall to prop drive (manual calls for 4 inches). The next thing is the .82 with needle to the right puts the throttle link in the center so you need to install another throttle link over the tank. With the needle to the right side on the .82 the throttle hits the fuselage so you need to both cut out clearance and install another throttle link on the left side of the airplane. To use the installed throttle tube and ARF intructions, a two stroke is best. I decided to use the .82 on another airplane and intall a .55 AX. Using the two stroke means box to flying is only delayed by glueing the windshield.

I have not flown mine but did see one with a GMS 47 hovering, spinning and having fun so I think a good .46 up is all that is needed to enjoy.

remcl1 11-01-2007 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: GORCFLYR

I haven't seen any follow-up psotings on the Tango with Saito .82. First off, I got the ARF and you dang near shake it out of the box 95% built. I tried to install a Saito 82 but the mount that comes with it and the achor nuts are not wide spaced enough so it ends up over 5 inches firewall to prop drive (manual calls for 4 inches). The next thing is the .82 with needle to the right puts the throttle link in the center so you need to install another throttle link over the tank. With the needle to the right side on the .82 the throttle hits the fuselage so you need to both cut out clearance and install another throttle link on the left side of the airplane. To use the installed throttle tube and ARF intructions, a two stroke is best. I decided to use the .82 on another airplane and intall a .55 AX. Using the two stroke means box to flying is only delayed by glueing the windshield.

I have not flown mine but did see one with a GMS 47 hovering, spinning and having fun so I think a good .46 up is all that is needed to enjoy.
You can move the carb and put the throttle linkage on the other side.

happypappy 11-01-2007 06:14 PM

We have several Tangos at the field now. One is running a Saito .72 with no issues and it runs great! The .82 should be way good

tg540edge 11-02-2007 05:02 PM

This is word for word my exact problems and solution !!!. I could not get the 82 on the dang plane without hacking it up and drastically altering the way it would fly. I ordered a 55 ax yesterday.
I really wanted this plane 4 strokin' but i get another plane this way :D:D

I tried to swap the car but it still doea not work well and the engine is to far forward. Oh well.

Any suggestions on a good plane to put my new 82 on???

GORCFLYR 11-02-2007 08:59 PM

I'm going to use the Saito .82 on my Mojo 40. Swanny now has a Mojo 40 Arf in stock for people like me that don't build so good. [link=http://www.swanyshouse.com/mojoARF/mojoARF.aspx]Swanny Mojo 40 Arf[/link].
Even in this Tango thread the Mojo 40 gets raves for from the ProBros. I'm for all types of planes - Mojo, Tango, Twist, Funtana, U-Stick, UCD 46, Sukhoi 120, foamies, SE5 GP Electric, T-Rex-450, Blade, and more. No need to bash anything - try what ya like.

To mount the OS 55, one thing that has to be carved or modified some is a little dip on the top of the fusealge for the new OS 55 needle valve to mount in in the Tango. I used Sulivan yellow cable with a ball link and the throttle runs great through the factory installed guide tube. I'm ready to fly - 5 lbs 6 oz with all JR DS811 servos (had them sitting around), Spectrum full range 6 channel RX, 5 cell 2000 Nimh, and OS 55AX.

I ran the OS through the recommended break in. The 55AX starts easy, runs good, and like other postings, only 1 screwdriver blade width of low side needle leaner needed.

craigteffe 11-03-2007 12:09 AM

Just finished my Tango, installed OS Fs72. All up weight without fuel is 5lb 9 oz. I ballanced mine at 4.5 to 4.75 back from the leading edge of the wing. I will be flying it tomorrow providing the range check is good, i will give my flight report then.

cloud-9 11-03-2007 12:13 AM

I'm new to RC and was looking at the Tango.

What is with the fat wings? What does that do to how the plane flies?

Thanks
Jim

craigteffe 11-03-2007 12:15 AM

Less speed more lift better for 3D.

claytucker 11-03-2007 12:33 AM

I am lost and need help...
I have little time and patience to build. I looked thru the online manuel and was impressed, the control horns and ALL control surfaces are installed. This beats the TRIBUTE ARF and or buying parts for the tribute.
I have only had a few nitro planes but I fly 3d fairly well. I have a 46 az OS on my tribute now. I also have a Saito 82. My Tribute is up to 5 lbs. It was better as the original PNP.
I am debating on buying a new PNP Tribute with the 36
Placing the Saito 82 (same weight as existing 46) and the fuse has been built up (all the weight) where it can't vibrate or break with anything.
Or placing my 82 on the Tango. I had the twist a year ago. I was never able to hover it close to the ground. I really had good luck hovering my tribute when I first added the the 46 and it was still light.
I can't hover close to the ground unless I have a really powerful engine and light weight. Maybe it's too much to ask as the whole concept implies too much power for two little plane.
But I've never ran a 4 stroke to date.
Maybe the 82 and Tango would hover at less then 1/2?
Is there another plane so easy and quick to build?
Maybe I should go back to electric but the silly batteries just don't last long when you are trying to hover either. I was upto a 4 charger and 8 lipos. I still was only getting 4 to 5 min flights.
any suggestions...

claytucker 11-03-2007 12:37 AM

I am lost and need help...
I have little time and patience to build. I looked thru the online manuel and was impressed, the control horns and ALL control surfaces are installed. This beats the TRIBUTE ARF and or buying parts for the tribute.
I have only had a few nitro planes but I fly 3d fairly well. I have a 46 az OS on my tribute now. I also have a Saito 82. My Tribute is up to 5 lbs. It was better as the original PNP.
I am debating on buying a new PNP Tribute with the 36
Placing the Saito 82 (same weight as existing 46) and the fuse has been built up (all the weight) where it can't vibrate or break with anything.
Or placing my 82 on the Tango. I had the twist a year ago. I was never able to hover it close to the ground. I really had good luck hovering my tribute when I first added the the 46 and it was still light.
I can't hover close to the ground unless I have a really powerful engine and light weight. Maybe it's too much to ask as the whole concept implies too much power for two little plane.
But I've never ran a 4 stroke to date.
Maybe the 82 and Tango would hover at less then 1/2?
Is there another plane so easy and quick to build?
Maybe I should go back to electric but the silly batteries just don't last long when you are trying to hover either. I was upto a 4 charger and 8 lipos. I still was only getting 4 to 5 min flights.
any suggestions...

remcl1 11-03-2007 05:37 AM

ORIGINAL: cloud-9

I'm new to RC and was looking at the Tango.

What is with the fat wings? What does that do to how the plane flies?

Thanks
Jim

ORIGINAL: craigteffe

Less speed more lift better for 3D.

Fat wings are an off shoot of the fun fly designs. They are not for 3D. The trend right now is thin. All the new 3D designs are going to thin wings. What the fat wings add is drag not lift. The overall design of the tango most likely will make it float fairly well dead stick, but most fat wing funflies dont glide all that well under dead stick conditions. If you dead sticked many of the early designed fat wing profiles, you better land it right where it was: because you were not going to get it back to the flight line. The added drag makes the plane not scoot across the sky. Funfly type planes are not fast. They are designed for funfly type maneuvers.

What does the fat wing do? It forces the plane to slow down due to the added drag. The 700 square inches of wing adds lift and makes it float. Remember it is all about wing loading.

RaceCraftRC 11-03-2007 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm ok now i am lost whats the diffrance between fun fly maneuvers and 3D. I haven't flown my tango yet will do on sunday it has the PTS engine and electrics from my p-51 with a 12/4 prop seems very strong

NorfolkSouthern 11-03-2007 12:22 PM

The difference between designs like the Tango, and a 3D profile plane has a lot to do with balance, wing loading, and airfoil. A fun-fly plane is going to have large control surfaces, like its 3D brethren. However, it is going to do better in strait, level flight at the faster speeds required to keep up with other traffic in the pattern. At the same time, it will do very tight maneuvers that other planes are incapable of. It will not hover for sustained periods of time like a 3D profile (Mojo, Burrito, and their ilk) or large-scale 3D scale plane (such as the Edge 3D, Yak 54 3D, Ultimate 3D, and so forth). In summary: Planes like the Twist, Tango, Seagull Harriar, and so forth are "jack of all trades" type planes, but are not meant for specialized applications.

NorfolkSouthern