RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 Tango Arf (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6527527-hangar-9-tango-arf.html)

craigteffe 11-16-2007 06:01 PM

RE: Hangar 9 Tango Arf

Sorry about the last post. To answer JohnB102.

I currently fly 50cc gas airplanes, i keep one glow around to throw in the back of the truck or keep at the flying field so i can sneak out and fly right after work.

I love my gas planes and would reccomend to anyone to go gas on thier second airplane you just need to choose something with the right wing loading and a good light engine. It depends on the type of flying you want to get into if you want to learn percision and 3D then there are a number of planes out there that you can further your skills on. People will tell you not to get aerbatic for your next plane I would tell you to go for it but to get good quality plane and engine, you can always decrease the throws and make the plane more docile to the point of almost landing like a trainer sometimes better. You would just need a little guidence.

I think the tango would be a good next plane if thats what you want, just start out with very low rates.

Ps if you would like to talk PM me and i wll give you a call.

flyman1948 11-21-2007 08:13 PM

Tango Maiden flight:
Well, winters almost here so there won't be many more days to maiden new ships. The sky was dark and cloudy with calm to 10 MPH winds. The control surfaces were aligned to their respective wing and set at neutral and appear true. Throws are set per the rates given in the manual. Standard Hitek 325 servos are used with a DX-7/6200Rx with flaperons. Powered by a O.S. 46 AX set with 2 degrees or so of right thrust swinging a 12 x 4 APC. CG set slightly forward of the rear-most limit set in the manual.
I started out checking the ground handling taxeing up and down the field, went fine... Then I lined up on the center of the runway and slowly eased on the throttle 1/2 way while holding full up elevator at low rates while ready with the rudder to counteract the expected pull to the left. Roll-out was good, but when the tail rose the plane took a hard turn(90*) to the RIGHT. I rollled on full throttle and she went straight up....! Control surfaces were checked out by others at the field and no problems found. No trim was needed to fly the plane. Two 10 minute flights were made with both take-offs having the same problem. Any Ideas??? I plan on removing the right thrust as a start.
BTW: I recall a reply that made mention of full rudder having a strange effect on the plane in flight. I went four mistakes high to check this out by appling full rudder at low and high rates and had the same result every time: The plane would suddenly roll upside down and dive toward the ground.....glad I was 'up there' when I pulled that trick. because of the wind a can't comment on the handling characteristics of this plane. Landings were the easiest part of flying this plane with gentle landings and no suprises.

Ed_Moorman 11-21-2007 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Flyman, I'd say you got the correct aerodynamic response to full rudder on a high wing plane. A high wing, even a flat one will cause roll in the direction of the rudder. The high wing location is the equivalent of about 3 degrees of dihedral, as I recall. Further more, a high wing plane will generally pitch toward the top of the plane with rudder. It's usually caused by the stab lower than the wing. So your plane rolled over, then sort of pulled up, ending up straight down. Correct response to my way of thinking.

I normally put anhedral in my Sticks to counter the roll, but the Tango had a 1-piece wing. I was thinking about one and I was going to add downward end plates. These act like anhedral, which is what you need ot counter the roll. I am attaching a photo of a Little Stick on which I conducted an experiment on these type plates. These were just lite ply. I had them hanging down 1 1/2" with 1/4" lines. Without the plates, the plane rolled with rudder. With the plates, the plane rolled backwards, right rudder, left roll. I would land and trim off a quarter inch and try again. At 3/4" the roll was pretty much killed. It's hard to get really perfect.

The pitch up is more difficult. You can try to move the CG rearward so you need less up trim to stay level. This can help in some cases. The other thing to try is to move the ailerons up or down. It seems if you move them up a turn or so, you'll need some down elevator to compensate and this may help in an extreme yaw. The other way is to mix it out. It is best to use a multipoint mix so you can add more at or near full rudder.

pkevinb 11-21-2007 08:51 PM

Holly cow, I went to the wrong field this afternoon. That would have been an interesting take-off to see. Were both the front wheels rolling freely? I imagine if one was sticking or tight it would turn into that wheel, but if it did it on take off I'm sure it would have pulled the same on landing. Hope you get it figured out, I'd like to see your new plane fly this weekend.

flyman1948 11-21-2007 09:35 PM

Both wheels turn free with very little friction....the right thrust on the engine is barley desernable...I can't believe thats the problem but i'll remove the right thrust.

craigteffe 11-21-2007 10:22 PM

When i take mine off i make sure not to apply rudder while I'm trying to pull the plane off the ground, i only use the rudder to keep center line and then release then add elevatorto take off. i think it has alot to do with ground effects.

Ernie Misner 11-23-2007 12:44 AM

Hi Ed, you sure hit the nail on the head. After having those coupling tendencies on my Sticks, I WAS wondering about the Tango with it's high wing. Thanks for the heads up if I ever wind up with one!

Ernie

remcl1 11-23-2007 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: flyman1948

Tango Maiden flight:
Well, winters almost here so there won't be many more days to maiden new ships. The sky was dark and cloudy with calm to 10 MPH winds. The control surfaces were aligned to their respective wing and set at neutral and appear true. Throws are set per the rates given in the manual. Standard Hitek 325 servos are used with a DX-7/6200Rx with flaperons. Powered by a O.S. 46 AX set with 2 degrees or so of right thrust swinging a 12 x 4 APC. CG set slightly forward of the rear-most limit set in the manual.
I started out checking the ground handling taxeing up and down the field, went fine... Then I lined up on the center of the runway and slowly eased on the throttle 1/2 way while holding full up elevator at low rates while ready with the rudder to counteract the expected pull to the left. Roll-out was good, but when the tail rose the plane took a hard turn(90*) to the RIGHT. I rollled on full throttle and she went straight up....! Control surfaces were checked out by others at the field and no problems found. No trim was needed to fly the plane. Two 10 minute flights were made with both take-offs having the same problem. Any Ideas??? I plan on removing the right thrust as a start.
BTW: I recall a reply that made mention of full rudder having a strange effect on the plane in flight. I went four mistakes high to check this out by appling full rudder at low and high rates and had the same result every time: The plane would suddenly roll upside down and dive toward the ground.....glad I was 'up there' when I pulled that trick. because of the wind a can't comment on the handling characteristics of this plane. Landings were the easiest part of flying this plane with gentle landings and no suprises.

I would not remove the right thrust. I suspect you took the plane off a little soon or maybe a little slow. With the larger control surfases you should not have full elevator. This kind of plane will take off from the ground before their is enough airflow over the control surfaces for them to be effective. Try a neutral elevator and advance to throttle a little quicker. Allow enough ground speed wear the plane will get light and leave the ground on its own. Then apply as much elevator as needed to give you a good angle of climb without slowing the plane down too much. Remember the elevator control airspeed not altitude. Full elevator on take off may result in the plane not gaining enough airspeed to be controlled. With the proper right thrust built into the mount, rudder should not be needed on take off.

You are right full rudder can to strange things to most planes.

I did not see your take-off and I don't know how low your low rates are, so this may or may not apply. With all advise on RCU take it for what its worth.

craigteffe 11-24-2007 07:16 PM

Flight report,

I have just maidened another Tango today and everthing ran good. Plane is easy to fly, the rudder is touchy but i was hanging this plane on the prop on the first flight. Overall i like this plane sofar with no complaints. This will be a plane that i can throw in the back of the truck and stop by the field on the way home from work to get a couple of flights in.

planknheli 12-10-2007 06:33 PM

FLYMAN& KEVIN, WHERE DO YOU FLY IN MEADVILLE? I SPENT THE FIRST 25 YRS OF MY LIFE THERE. I KNOW THEY USED TO FLY IN CONN. LAKE 20 YRS AGO , I DON`T KNOW IF THEY STILL DO. I LIVED ON ELM ST. [SOUTH END OF TOWN] MY SISTER LIVES ON RT 322 ACROSS FROM HANKS FROZEN CUSTARD. I HOPE IT`S NOT TOO COLD UP THERE. 79 DEG. HERE IN LEXINGTON NC TODAY. WE GET TO FLY YEAR ROUND DOWN HERE.
CONK

pkevinb 12-10-2007 07:46 PM

planknheli,

We fly at Conneaut Lake and down in Cooperstown as well. It's been cold up here but that doesn't stop us diehards from flying. We just get out the skis and floats and fly off the snow. I have an Uncle that lives in Dudley near Goldsboro, but I don't care for all the heat in the summer.

jaybird11 12-15-2007 11:10 PM

I put a saito 62 in my TANGO and its great ! This is a really nice looking plane and a fun one to fly.I have a 27%yak54.twist 60 with a saito 125,goldberg cub with a saito 82 ,a Alph 60,and 3 electrics and Ill take this TANGO any day just for all out fun. The plane will do what you are capable of making it do as with all other planes. Glad they started this post over just because you cant make the plane do a certain trick does not mean someone else cant!! HAPPY FLYING

remcl1 12-15-2007 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: jaybird11

I put a saito 62 in my TANGO and its great ! This is a really nice looking plane and a fun one to fly.I have a 27%yak54.twist 60 with a saito 125,goldberg cub with a saito 82 ,a Alph 60,and 3 electrics and Ill take this TANGO any day just for all out fun. The plane will do what you are capable of making it do as with all other planes. Glad they started this post over just because you cant make the plane do a certain trick does not mean someone else cant!! HAPPY FLYING
You really want to start things up again in this thread? I suggest instead of writing smack, come over to lakeland and show us how you can make this plane do certain tricks that others can't.

enephel 12-18-2007 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: GORCFLYR

Flew today - Tango, Spektrum 6 Channel, OS .55AX, 12.25x3.75 APC , 5lbs 6oz - true to the description on Rudder because too much and the results are unexspected roll and pitch. I need to try it some more to describe it better - Knife edge is hard because you have to creep up on the rudder throw and add plenty of opposite aileron to hold it. The OS .55AX NEW with only six tanks run through it was way more than this plane needs. Now I fly my UCanDo 40 size with a Saito .91 so I'm use to overpowering a plane.

Two issues I had was a warped left aileron and the two wing dowels fit loose so the wing vibrates. I may have to sleeve the dowels with copper tubbing. So far I like it - fly differernt than anything elese and very easy to see in the air. KEEPER!!
hard knife edge. Your elevator halves may be unequal. Just unboxed one tonight and noticed elevators off a degree or two.

enephel 12-18-2007 12:16 AM

That giant sticker across the wing comes right off in one piece with a little heat and no residue. The smaller ones on the sides as well.

KT4JH 09-04-2008 08:12 AM

My friend just got a Tango. Put the Saito 82. No hassle to modify the motor placement. Just bought a new motor mount and put new holes for the mount. Of course as stated in another post message the hub is further than a 2 stroke but still no problem. Now here is the only problem we had on the test flight: Was trimming her out and was rechecking level flight at full speed; which was 1000 rpm's less than required for the prop therefore running rich. Saw the elevator flutter/vibrate real bad. The owner did not see it so he said see if it would do it again. It did and half of the elevator flew off and the other hung on. Plane made it to the ground with no other damage other than spreading the landing gear out which took the most impact. Thank goodness for not going nose down. Has anyone seen or heard of this before??? My friend definitely will call horizon today. Everything was according to spec's so this should not have happened.

RCVFR 09-04-2008 11:21 AM

Glad to see the plane was saved. Flutter is usually a result of control surface set up, faulty or underpowered servos or excessive speed. I doubt you will have much success convincing Horizon that the flutter was their fault. You didn't mention what prop was used. Even too much pitch on the prop can get you to the "do not exceed" speed, unknowingly. And, if the gaps were excessive or the linkage sloppy, that speed can be a lot lower value than you might think. Remember, with a thick airfoil, 3D type design "Speed Kills" (the airplane).

The Toolman 09-04-2008 12:25 PM

I use a TT.46 Pro with a 11 x 5 prop on mine, and it will go alot faster than that plane needs to be going. It will also climb straight up outta site if ya want too.

I am always overpowering planes, but the .46 is plenty of engine for this little critter because of the thick airfoil an the large control surfaces.

Horizon made a mistake in their advertising in saying"unlike some fun-fly planes—full-throttle high-speed runs" for this plane . IMO,this might come back and bite them.

I've also noticed they have went from $129 to $159 and now $179. This used to be a good deal, but not so much anymore.

KT4JH 09-04-2008 01:39 PM

Yep, we were lucky to save the plane. Horizon is going to replace the whole tail section. There was no evidence of glue on the rod connecting the two halves so he said that was another story. Then my friend mentioned the flutter. The technical engineer asked him how were the linkages set up. He set them by the book. The engineer said no matter what anyone says hook the linkage to the nearest hole to the center of the servo arm. That is where the stength of the servo is most. I understand the theory but not always possible on aileron servo's within the wing. Therefore you have to go inward on the horn but not necessarily to last hole. I had a ASP 82 on my 40 size twist and had no problem with full throttle. We will check the theory out when he gets it back together and I will find out on my Ultimate as I changed the elevator servo arm to first inward hole and changed the aileron horns to the next to last hole inward.

The Toolman 09-04-2008 02:51 PM

KT4JH,

Yep, I'm using Futaba #3152 digital high torque servos for the control surfaces and a cheapy standard for the throttle. I learned all about flutter a coupla years ago on my SPAD planes.....
EDIT-By the way, I am at center hole on servos an outer hole on control horns

enephel,

I've had 2 of'em, an the elev was off the same as yours on both of'em. Makes me wonder if the guy puttin them together is holding his head crooked....:D

KT4JH 09-04-2008 07:18 PM

My Friend has the 3152's also. My friend said the guy was real talkative and ready to replace the part. My friend asked him if this had happened to anyone else and he did not reply to that. That makes you think that there was a problem with some of the tail sections. I've heard flutter on my tiger stick and a little on other planes but never seen such violent shaking as this did and also on his Sig Senior Kadet. Won't bother to to into that long story but Sig needs to put a note out about using a 14-4 prop with a 62 four stroke!

jerryjohnson 09-14-2008 03:23 PM

Hanger 9 Tango. A warning to all you Tango fliers. Mine was on about the sixth flight today when the left side elevator came loose. That is the side the control horn is mounted on, so I hac no up elevator. You can guess the result. Last week the right side came loose and I managed to land since I still had elevator function on the left side. I found that the outboard hinge didn't have any glue on it. I reglued the hinges and checked the left side for tightness which seemed OK. It wasn't. The crash today was caused by almost no glue on the left side elevator. My advice is to glue all hinges with thin CA regardless of how firm the hinges feel. I should have heeded my own advice

kochj 09-15-2008 12:03 AM

Wow......
H9 Dumps the 4D showtime and Funtana 100X and comes out with planes like this one???
[sm=bananahead.gif]

Sweet!

The Toolman 10-11-2009 01:38 PM

How about some more tango news, am I the only one that still flys'em anymore?

NorfolkSouthern 10-11-2009 06:56 PM

I'm still flying mine, and it's on its second season. So far, it has proven to be a very reliable workhorse. It will flat spin easier and better than the other planes in my fleet. Snaps are a breeze, and it will recover from them very nicely. I have never experienced anything that will maneuver tighter, or roll faster. There has never been a shred of evidence of structural or or control-surface problems. And I have never had a single issue with flutter, Even at full throttle with the 55AX and 12 X 6 MA prop. It has shown great durability and strong construction. Will this airframe outlast the engine? Very likely, perhaps. I doubt if there's a better beater plane on the market, as the Tango's aerobatic capabilities are far beyond that of any Stick, and the price and ease of assembly are really hard to beat!

NorfolkSouthern