Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How addicted are YOU?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How addicted are YOU?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 AM
marcoeldragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How addicted are YOU?

I'm badly addicted to Helis and now fixed wing AC. I dream about RC aircraft. I daydream about what to get next or how to upgrade what I already have. There needs to be a support group for us addicts. Oh wait there is http://www.rcuniverse.com/ !!!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are pathetic!

Obsessing over toy airplanes like this - I mean, really, grow up and act like responsible adults!

(And hand me those servos, I gotta fly this baby this weekend!)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 AM
siddus74

My name is Scott Quinn and i am obsessed . . .

I have built 3 channel vintage JR60's, scale eletcric and glow multies, foamy jets, raced club 200 pylon racers, and have just sold the clothes off my back for an Avonds F15 with AMT turbine . . .

RC career 1988 - present day.

I need help, god I need help - im in it neck deep!

Scott.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
DenverJayhawk

I'll admit it. Once I get a model maidened, I'm thinking about the next build 24/7.

Wife doesn't understand how I can sit for hours on hobbyking/value hobby's websites thinking about parts. Fortunately, she's learned to "tolerate" it.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 AM
jairoblaster
My Feedback: (18)

Step 1 You must admit that you are powerless to overcome the RC and that our lives have become unmanageable without a larger plane.
2. Ive come to belive that a newer greater model could restore my sanity.
3. Made a decition to turn our will over to the airplane gods in order to find that sweet spot, and that perfect model
4. Made a searching inventory of my entire basement hoping to find more servos, motors, and lipos that I had forgoten about.
5.Admitted to the powers that be, the local hobby shop,and my best buddys that I now need something 3D
6. Im entirely ready to move closer to the flying field just so that I can fly more often
7. Then you must humblely ask someone to hand launch you 40% aircraft just to prove you can.
8. Make a list of all the guys you know that might have old airframes for sell to get a better deal, so you can look for that perfect beater that you dont care if you smash when you are flying low down on the deck as you are doing rolling harriers.
9. Make amends with your wife for running the cedit card up way to far on the last project that is still not finished, so that she will let you have the card back as long as you promise not to spend any more on the giant scale that is now taking up her parking spot in the garage.
10. continue to take inventory of all the gyros, speed controlers, captured ballinks, and then admit that we should have purchased larger or faster ones or something that took more voltage.
11. Seek thru meditation to learn all the manuvers that you have been praticing, the inverted and reverse versions of them.
12. Having had a spiritual awaking, we then try to bring our hobby to anyone who will stop and listen to our insane babling about toy airplanes, helicopters, cars, and boats.

These are the steps that I observe, Im not so sure its a good thing but it seems to work for me.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:16 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

OK Boys, I found a cure for the addiction. Lets just fly only on weekends and the time off work.
Then go to regular RC Annonymus Meetings, they are held at your flying field every day.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
guille2006

hello, My name is Guille (Bill is OK too) and I'm RC-addict. My sin is that my wife become also addict and my daughter is becoming too. My son is still too young... but I hope he'd get it soon.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Skysailor51

Hi

This is Skysailor51.

I say that I am: "Just plane crazy!"

The C-in-Chief,(the wife)says that he is: "Just plain crazy!"

Itis hard to get stuff where I live but when I see any depron plane: "I start foam-ing at the mouth!". Got to make or have that one. :-)
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THANK GOD NO! LOL

Does your better half really know? The kit, bah...a fraction of the price of the total build...I've probably spent well over 10k this season alone on builds, kits, afs, ect.

hey it could be worse...I could be spending that one drinking and drugs! (Not that I would)

I must say that this hobby really is my only vise left, I afford myself. Two lovely kids and a sexy loving wife deserve that!

It never gets cheaper, or rarely smaller.

I got it bad...and I'm loving it.

Oh, and by the way...I never ask my wife how much all of her clothes and shoes cost!
EVER

Casey
Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Barcandson
My Feedback: (20)

Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm especially addicted to antiques and old kits. But I haven't visited eBay in two weeks, and RCUniverse 'Buy and Sell' for a week. I got a separate address at a maibox place to cut down on the domestic violence. I think she is training the dog to sniff out new stuff like the Customs dogs. I did actually build 4 of them this year, so my support group (local club) is applauding my progress.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:06 AM
joeheren
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: noveldoc

Gentlemen, let's start the meeting.

My name is Tom. I am an RC-holic.

Tom
lol hello tom, my name is joe i also am a RC-holic
Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM
randy10926
My Feedback: (19)

Let's see. Bought a long bed truck just to haul my pattern planes around. Made sure the new house had a big garage and a man cave.

I am not addicted, just mildly interested. I can stop anytime. I also have done that a few times before.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not an impulse buyer, I would be if I had some money. I'm the guy that waits for things, sooner or later everything comes my way though. Beginning of summer I needed a new engine, only a hundred bucks, I waited until I had the extra cash so I wouldn't feel like I was raiding the house hold funds. I finally ordered it last week, it should be here today or tomorrow.
Early this year I bought a 2.4 module for my radio, this weekend I finally bought a RX from a vendor at a fly in.
I love my toys a lot but on a fixed income I can't buy on impulse, everything has to be planed ahead. Addicted??? Maybe?? Impulse buyer, not at all.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
mschulz531

Hi My name is Mike and I'm an RC-aholic. My addiction started in 1988 when I built my first kit, an old Sterling Fledgling kit. Put a K&B .40 on the plane, took it to the field behind my house and decided to just "practice taxiing" until I could find an instructor. After a few trips back and forth on the ground..."let's see, just a little more throttle",,,and boom, it was in the air. Without trying (read: having no idea how I did this) I executed a perfect half loop to bring the plane back so it was pointing at me, then a half roll to bring the wings level. As the plane shot over my head, I had 1/2 second to ask myself "now what are you going to do?". Then a loud "crack" and silence. Moments later, my brother, my friend, and two bystanders (a man and his son) stared in stunned silence as a shower of balsa pieces floated down out of the tree that had consumed my brand new airplane like a frog consumes a bug. After a respectful silence, the three of us burst out laughing. As the laughter subsided and we attempted to breathe again, the man stood next to his son and said "gosh, I feel like I should pay you for the entertainment".

That's when the addiction began. My next thought was "where can I get another plane?" There was a swap meet that weekend and I was not disappointed...a plane followed me home. Shortly thereafter the addiction reached another level as Tower Hobbies delivered a Trainer .40 kit to my door and I completed a room in the basement for my workshop. A Hobbico Diabolo followed shortly which met it's demise on the maiden takeoff because the control surfaces had way too much deflection and it ground looped, transforming itself into a pile of balse shreds. A little voice in my head said "that looks familiar". The addiction ran it's delightful course for a number of years before an intervention occurred and I white knuckled the addiction for 24 years. A trip to the hobby store for pinewood derby parts for my son caused me to see the Real Flight controller on display. The thought "That looks way cooler than the old Dave Brown simulator I had 20+ years ago for my IBM PC AT computer!". I had to try it...and wham! the addiction dug it's claws into me again.

Thankfully, lack of a large supply of ready cash to spend has kept the addiction in check. Long counseling sessions with my wife have helped me understand that a mortgage and college payments for our kids are more important than a new plane for me. Her support and help in building a man cave in the basement for me have helped keep the addiction in check. Building kits instead of buying ARF's has been the best and most fulfilling technique to feed the addiction in a healthy way. Of course, if we are being brutally honest, her demand that she maintains possession of both her credit card and mine has had a larger impact on how much money I can spend on the addiction. We have reached equilibrium regarding finances. If she knew how much time I spend researching for "my next fix" on the buy/sell link of this web site, eBay, Tower, Horizon, etc. she would probably perform another intervention. Until then, I'm content with managing my addiction. Oops, gotta go, the wife just came home.

Peace,
Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Hi, my name is Jerry and I've been addicted to airplanes for over 60 years......

I remember you, Jerry. You started a couple or three of years before I did in the Fifties, IIRC. Glad to read you again.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Wow,[X(] a mailbox in the mailbox place, that is a wonderful idea. Thx Barcandson, how it didnt occur to me before?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

The addiction was responsible for me renting an apartment with a spare bedroom, then walling off half the garage in our first house, then including a 540 sq ft attached shop when we built the new house, then remodeling the shop to be part of the house and building a 1320 sq ft shop behind the house.....but the wife got a dedicated sewing/crafts room, a real spare bedroom, and a 6x14' pantry with a 10' ceiling out of that last one.

My wife doesn't wonder where I am, who I'm with, or what I'm doing. We never neglect the mortgage, bills, or each other because of this hobby/obsession/lifestyle. I've also had several summer jobs that were directly related to my r/c hobby, so it's given me back a lot over the years.

Too many airplanes, kits, motors, etc to count!

Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

**UPDATE**
Here is how bad its gotten. I asked the wife to cut loose with a few bucks so I could head to the hobby shop, I figured, hey I work, I deserve it? She said...No we need the money for groceries...damn!, Do the kids really need to eat 3 meals a day?

So off I go today to participate in a 2 hour paid focus group I was offered to join. I will get a check at the end of it, cash it in, go to the hobby shop and then give the other half to my wife to buy groceries.... Do they give cash for giving blood...hmmm
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on where you live, they DO pay for blood plasma- I haven't quite gotten to that level yet...
Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 PM
willlig756

I'll admit I'm an addict......  Its the best drug ever.......  If im not running a car, on my flight sim, or flying; you can bet that im looking at upgrades or new toys to add to my collection..  Im hoping to add a new heli and a couple park flyers to my collection very soon... 
Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
superfli
My Feedback: (42)

You know your addicted to RC when the UPS driver knows you by your first name.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: superfli

You know your addicted to RC when the UPS driver knows you by your first name.
It's worse than that in my case. My UPS guy normally shows up before I come home from work and if he doesn't see my truck, he makes the rest of his rounds and swings back by when he see's my truck is at home. [X(]
Old 11-08-2010, 05:58 PM
GaryHarris

BTW, I can quit RC anytime I want!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:05 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im an RC Junkie.... after a full weekend of flying, im already making plans for the next.....its been this way for many years
Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

You guys are pathetic!

Obsessing over toy airplanes like this - I mean, really, grow up and act like responsible adults!

(And hand me those servos, I gotta fly this baby this weekend!)

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.